Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM

WELCOME TO WINDING CIRCLE!

Welcome to Winding Circle in Emelan, the temple-city that is the center for students learning to use their ambient magic. This roleplay is based on the Circle of Magic series written by Tamora Pierce, thus making knowledge of said series a requirement for joining this roleplay.

If you want to join, the please feel free to jump in with a description of your character and they type of magic they have, if any, and if they are a student or a teacher. You may use characters that are mentioned in the books if you wish but original characters are also accepted and encouraged. Feel free to message me about any other questions. We'd love to see other people in our roleplay. <3

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM

reserved

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM

Kanon looks up at the clock tower as it strikes mid-day and he smiles to himself, already on his way down to the sand just outside of the wall that surrounded Winding Circle. He adjusts the basket of food in his arms and continues his way down to the beach, cutting across the winding path in a straight line to make his walk shorter. It was the same walk he made every day since he became a novice under Dedicate Gorse, the head cook mage of the temple.

Kanon loved it at Winding Circle. People came from all over the world to study at the temple-city so he never felt out of place because of his almond-shaped eyes, thick dark hair, and slight frame - All traits that revealed his roots belonged in somewhere in Yanjing. At 18 years of age he's reached the height of five feet and five inches and doesn't expect to grow any taller thanks to his background.

Britti
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Britti Send a message via MSN to Britti

Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Miku, roughly the same age as his savior cook and only real friend in Winding Circle, rolls over on his makeshift bed and scratches at his hair. He took to Kanon, mainly because he had food with him, but he also was from Yanjing, at least in heritage.

The orphan had fled his home country when he was only a child at the death of his parents, drifting from country to country until he finally found Winding Circle two years ago. During his travels, he had picked up on several different languages, mostly dialects but Imperial was something he had taken to tremendously, although a trace of his accent remains.

He actually lives outside the wall protecting the community, in a nook with an odd sort of tent, but it served its purpose, and the guards were alright with it. To them, he didn't cause any problems...

Miku listens to the same chime from the clock tower, and he sits up, hoping that Kanon will arrive with more food. He always does, but he's afraid that one day... Something might change, whether it be his Dedicate forbids him from coming or maybe he just forgets. He would be okay, just disappointed, because food is always free when you have stealthy fingers.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 PM

Kanon stops as he reaches the sand and sets his basket down to remove his sandals, preferring to go bare-foot from this point on so that sand caught between the leather and his skin wouldn't rub uncomfortably later. He sets his sandals down by the steps leading back to the path, confident that no one would take them, and gathers the basket up again to continue his way across the shore.

After several more moments of walking, he spots Miku's tent and runs the rest of the way, his white novice robe almost tripping him several times.

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Miku pokes his head out of the tent to see Kanon stumble, and he laughs, a wave of relief and a new pain of hunger overcoming him. "Hey there!" the boy calls out, worming his way out of the flap. "You don't have to rush!"

He stands barefoot himself, with no shirt and trousers torn off underneath his knees, and he laughs again. "How are things since yesterday?" He gives him a little grin, although he really eyes that basket.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM

Kanon smiles as he slows to a walk at his friends appearance and holds out the basket to the other when he reaches him, knowing how hungry he is. "Busy, as usual." Midday was really the only time he had to himself anymore. Chores in the morning, then lessons in his craft with Dedicate Gorse during the day, and after that he would go straight to temple worship until he was so tired the only thing he could think about was sleep. He always felt guilty that he couldn't make more trips to his friend with food. At least in the winter he could give Miku extra to save. In the summer, he worried that anything saved past a couple of hours would spoil and make his friend sick.

"Did you manage to stay dry last night?" He had been concerned the night before when he had woken up and heard rain.

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 PM

Miku is so grateful just for the one meal that it doesn't really bother him, but he takes the basket with a big smile. "Thank you, again!" He peers into the container, curious as always, but he pauses to answer the question.

"Oh, last night wasn't that bad." He did, but the rain wasn't anything he isn't used to, nor does he want to worry Kanon; he does enough for him as it is. He plops down on the sand then, basket dropping between his legs as he rummages through it, thanking Kanon again underneath his breath.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 PM

Kanon sits down with a little more dignity next to Miku. "I brought you some more clean water today," he says, reaching into the basket to pull out a corked jar to show to Miku. "I didn't know if you needed it or not after the rain but I brought it anyway."

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 AM

Miku smiles happily, and he eyes the jar with a little laugh. "I filled up the last one you let me have, but it's always nice to have more..."

His eyes turn back to the food, and he stares at it hungrily, but he likes to eat after Kanon has left, because talking with him is just as needed as the food. Since eating hinders that, well, he would just rather take his time. It's the only thing he has, time.

"I saw a strange boat come by last night," he confides. "The soldiers," he nods to the guard post on the top of the wall a little only a few seconds job away, "they seemed a little nervous about it, then they started talking about some attack Winding Circle had..." He doesn't really know what happened, but they spoke about it in awe, and he was interested enough to hang around underneath their post before the rain started.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 12:24 AM

Kanon is used to the behavior after two years. He frowns at the mention of a ship though. "It was probably a lost trade ship.. That attack was almost ten years ago, after the earthquake. No pirates would dare attack Winding Circle with it's defenses up." He runs his fingers through his messy hair. "What did the boat look like?" He asks after a moment, unable to keep his curiosity at bay.

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 AM

Miku is finally unable to help himself, and he digs around in the basket for something to nibble on while talking, answering in the process, "Well, it was kind of difficult to see, but the sails were different than most of the trade ships that come through..."

With a little shrug, Miku glances out to the sea. "They were quiet this morning, though, the guards. Didn't seem as worried or anything..." He does wonder what they were doing out here, but who really knows?

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 12:55 AM

Kanon nods a bit and scans the horizon. "Well, as long as it's gone. Don't hang around if you see it again though." He would hate for something to happen to Miku.

He smiles as Miku begins to eat. "How is it?" He's been working with his magic and has been playing with making food keep you fuller for a longer period of time. Although he wouldn't admit to using Miku as a guinea pig..

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Grinning, Miku pauses mid-bite. "It's really good." He had noticed that Kanon seems to give him... more? food. But recently he's had to relieve himself a lot more... But beggars are definitely not choosers so he doesn't mention that.

He takes another bite then, with a bit of a frown--it wasn't that the food wasn't as pleasing as before but! "Well... Where should I go?" he questions quietly, staring down at his hand. Now that he thinks about it, he doesn't want to stick around if it comes back, so... What should he do? Finally, Miku glances up to Kanon, wanting to know.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 AM

Kanon sighs a bit and thinks a moment, bringing his legs up to hug his knees to his chest. "Just get away from the shore. Watch the guards and make sure they're not worried before you go back."

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 AM

Miku sighs at that, but he nods. "You're right... That will be best." He picks up the basket and moves to set it at his side instead of having it in between his legs. "How are things in the city?" he questions, not knowing much about the way of Winding Circle.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 AM

Kanon shrugs gently at the question. "Calm. I didn't hear anything about the ship you saw so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the guards thought it was something to worry about then everyone would know."

He smiles a bit to himself and lays back againsts the sand, enjoying the warmth beneath him. "It probably won't come back. Especially if you said it was like one you've never seen before."

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 02:11 AM

Miku smiles a little, nodding to himself as he digs around in the basket. "Well, maybe it is a trade ship from some new country... Maybe they would have new and interesting things to trade!" Not like he could get any of it, legally, but it would be interesting at least...

He opens another little container and gasps. "It looks so good~," he sings, beginning to dig in quickly. Mmm! Nothing beats a cook mage's food.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 02:18 AM

Kanon sits up a bit at Miku's exclamation to see what he had gotten out and then smiles to himself. "I'm glad you like it." He thinks a moment to himself and lets the trade comment sink in. "Don't steal anything."

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 02:35 AM

Miku looks up around a mouth-full of food, and he gives him a thumbs-up sign before swallowing. "What makes you think I would steal anything..? Everything I have I found." He chuckles then and shrugs.

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 AM

Kanon nods a bit at that. "They send you away to work you to death if you're caught three times," he warns. That was something he definitely didn't want to see happen.

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 02:53 AM

Miku heaves a sigh at that, and he nods slightly. "I saw a boy with two x's once more. He told me about it... But I've never been caught before, yeah? Don't worry; nothing will happen. Probably wasn't even a trade ship... Or I bet they didn't stop here if they were."

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Kanon smiles a bit and nods, reassured that his friend was save for now. "You're probably right." He lays back again in the sand. "It would be nice to see some new and interesting things though."

Britti
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-30-2007, 04:18 AM

Miku smiles down at Kanon, and he nods, more to himself than to the other, before starting in on his meal, unable to stop! It's too good...

He finally burps once this one dish is gone and sighs happily. "It really would..." He dreams of beautiful silks and jewels... "Ohhh, it would be wonderful..."

Archer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 AM

Kanon sits up again and smiles at Miku. "One day, I'll be a wonderful cook. People will come all over to eat my food. Then I'll be able to make sure you have a roof over your head." It's a promise he's made many times before. One he intends to keep.