Rasengan
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM

I am an amateur at drawing.. what you would call Kindergarten Doodles, but I love to draw. Today I bought some graphite pencils that came with charcoal pencils and a pencil called Layout(extra black.. I have no idea what its for) and Some sort of rolled up paper thing that looks like a pencil and some paper that looks like sand paper. I have no idea how to use these.... so help?

Anyakan
iObject!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 PM

The stuff you have will create very dark, bold lines, that will be a bit more challenging to erase with the "pink" eraser that most beginners use.
The paper stump is that little paper thing you have. I love them. They make your work look more polished. It is used as a blending tool. (creating value, or "shadows")
Be careful with the pressure you use on the paper stumps though, they break easily.

The sand paper most likely is for you to sharpen or clean your paper stump, charcoal, or pencils.. whichever you feel more comfortable using.

You can also use a brush to put the charcoal on lightly, dabbing it in the charcoal on the sandpaper and applying it .. kind of like blush. O.o; If you get even deeper into it you can use certain oils to make your coal as an oil.. or ink-like substance.

Experiment! There is no wrong way to express yourself, use your tools as you see fit.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help. ^^

Rasengan
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Wow! Thank you so much! I kinda figured out what the paper thing was.. but i rubbed the sand paper all over a drawing... -dumb- XD Thank you! I will practice, and If i need help I will be sure to ask.

soup
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 PM

The "paper stump" (lawl, nice) is called a tortillon. Btw, gummi erasers work better for getting highlights, you should get one. You can mold it into a thin rectangle and then get a thin white line easily.

Nightshade1988
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 AM

It is a good idea to use a spray called Workable Fixatif so that everything you draw with charcoal does not smear everywhere. Charcoal takes time to do carefully.