saenii

Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 AM

Hello, I'm here to hopefully find out about some fun new books to read this summer. I'm a hopeless wreck in a bookstore unless I know exactly what to get.

Lately, I've been finding mysteries and horror to be quite fun to read. Classics are great to.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 AM

Die for Me, by Karen Rose (as long as you don't mind steamy bits :shock:)

SpiralDemise

Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM

ive found that "the ghost in the tokaido inn" series is a pretty good samurai mystery series

saenii

Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Hm, those both sound pretty interesting. I'll have to go check em out.

skellig
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Try any of the Sherlock Holmes stories, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. My personal favourite of the novels is 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', but 'A Study in Scarlet' is an excellent place to start. Also, I've heard 'And Then There Were None' by Agatha Christie is great. Classic mysteries for you there.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 AM

We have a sticky for Book Recommendations, I think you should check it out here.

But anyway, how do you envision horror? I think of Stephen King as horror, would that be up your alley?

Puttytatt
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM

you could try the warrior heir

Geekasaurous
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 PM

The Shadowhunter Series, City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. Best. Books. Ever. ^^ It's about this 16 year old girl, Clary, who is at a club one night with her dorky bestie, Simon. She notices a couple of boys with weapons but nobody else seems to see them.. Turns out they are sexy, Shadowhunters! Basically, it's fantasy in an urban setting including all the old favourites of vampires(of the non-sparkly variety), werewolves, faerys, warlocks, angels and demons.

I know.. They are not horror.. However there is a bit of mystery envolved! For me, they are up there with Harry Potter and, dare I mention the atrocity that is Twilight. Seriously, read them. They are so good, I am actually at a loss for what to do, having finished them for the third time recently. They have surpassed everything I have ever read, excluding HP.

God, I sound like such an obsessed little girl.. Oops.. *-*

rani_the_vampire

Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 PM

anything by darren shan

Phantom Harpy
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 AM

I'd suggest the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. It's a kind of dark series of novels based on a female dominant society. It's one of those book series that I can read over and over again and not get sick of the story. The first one is actually titled Daughter of the Blood.

SheWhoShallNotBeNamed
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to SheWhoShallNotBeNamed

Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 AM

I would suggest The private series. It looks like a preppy book but someone either Gets killed, Gos Crazy, gets arrested, or almost gets killed in every book. No lie. Its the best series i have read that isn't fantasy.

If you like action/fantasy try the Morganville Vampires Series. Its not gushy and its got kickarse action scenes.