Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 PM

Commander Imhoff stared definately at Zenon when he spoke, clearly not intending to answer. As a matter of fact, other than her shoulders rising and falling with her breath, and her eyes blinking calmly, the only movement the woman made was to shift the children behind her as Zenon approached.

Of course, she knew who this man was. Everyone did. This was Zenon, from one of the reigning families in Seven, fiancee of Adelmar. She hadn't expected him to show up, had expected his family to rein him in. Her eyes flickered away, glancing at something, as one of the men fell from a shot. Stupid boy. It's because I'm here... Soldiers went sent that way, and Sarah felt a slight tinge of desperation. That girl meant the life of every single person down here! And Mannik... She kept her face expressionless.

Mannik had placed his focus back on the group, and licked his lips when more soldiers headed towards their building. It was stupid of him. He'd just given up his entire position. Before he could turn and drag Adelmar away, he felt something press into his jacket. Mannik glanced down, before his green eyes found her steel ones. Was she really pressing that knife against him? "We both know you won't...or as you like to claim, can't do anything at all to help me." His hand flicked out, twisting her wrist, removing the knife from her hands.

It was against her throat in a moment, but the sight of her sleeping flashed before Mannik's eyes. His other hand lifted, grabbing her jaw and turning her head. He pressed his forehead against the side of the woman's head, his lips barely brushing her ear. She smelled so amazing...like the sun, despite being Below for a few days. "If you do want to help me, then you'll make sure they kill me, sweetling. It'll be better than anything else they will have in store." He stepped away, and dropped the knife on the window sill, before moving to the other side of the room. He could hear the soldiers moving about, clearing and searching the building.

Mannik's hands lifted his mask to his face, sealing it quickly, and he tossed Adelmar's to her. His eyes flickered to her and for a moment, a look of betrayal sat there. It was gone quickly, however. After all, what did Adelmar do to betray him? He'd kidnapped her for a cause. Of course she wanted to go home. Had he really, even for a second, thought she might want to stay here? With him? He was so stupid sometimes. He turned his back to her then, raising his gun and aiming it to the door, waiting for the soldiers to appear before he started shooting.

Last edited by Kisu; 01-05-2015 at 01:49 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-05-2015, 02:37 PM

"Answer me!" Zenon demanded, grabbing woman's arm in tight grip and pulling her closer until the silver screen of his helmet nearly touched her nose. There was authoritative tone in his voice, clearly he was not used to people disobeying him. "Do you want to have your people to suffer just because of your stiff tongue?" he asked, irritation apparent. And because of it, he didn't see her attack coming. With quiet oomph, he fell on one knee, his grip on her loosening and then it was just a flash of red hair fleeing. Adel always said his quick temper would be his downfall and it turned out to be so, literally.

The last standing soldier took aim, right between her shoulderblades, but Zen sharply pushed his gun skyward. "No," he said simply and stood up, dusting off. He always felt that he had a lot of power at his very fingertips, simply granted to him by birthright, but the most important one to him seemed the one that one possessed inside of themselves. Never before he had seen someone of Below show even a sign of it. Even if they rebelled, it was like animal's survival instinct flaring up, joined with animal's cunning. For that reason, he didn't think highly of the people here, they were just savages and dragged down to the point they couldn't be anything else. But not her, not this Imhoff. She was fire, she was will. She had earned another day. "Gather the men and put them on ship. The unconscious one, too. Let the women and children go. We have no use for them right now."

His order was followed to letter and he was returning to the ship as he heard team 2's voices, telling they had found Adelmar and had another captive to bring back to the ship. He told them to bring the man back to his ship, since anger tainted plan was already forming in his mind.

This is how they got to this point...

She hissed, more from desperation and anger filling her lungs than pain, as he twisted her hand. It didn't matter that he had kept in mind what she had told him before, right now nothing mattered aside from that tiniest chance of her freedom slipping through her fingers that were too weak to hold it. Seconds later, the cool blade was against her throat and she really, really wanted to squeeze her eyes shut, but she refused this urge. She would pass into darkness of death looking ahead, the last futile act of braveness.

Suddenly, he was turning her head and leaning in. A shiver run down her spine at the unexpected and somehow gentle contact. It contrasted with the knife, with everything, and suddenly tears sprang in her eyes. Or maybe it was from his words, because she knew he was right and it was wrong. Their lives, everyone's lives, they were all wrong. Mannik's slight touch was like a thirsty man taking his first and last sip of something and the sense of disgust that should be there, it just never came.

When he moved away and tossed her the mask, she put it quickly, surprised she managed to with her trembling fingers, but she caught that expression and Adel's jaw clenched. No, she wouldn't be guilt tripped into fighting for survival. If anything, that was one thing he should understand. Moments later, the doors swung open. It was just matter of seconds and then there'd be silver suited men sweeping in, blood everywhere as he'd open fire.

It was more instinctive reaction than a planned action, but suddenly she was running, half jumping on his back from behind. "Not this time!!" the woman growled, a well aimed kick landing in the back of Mannik's knee joint, then another for good measure. Even if he managed to remain standing, his aim was probably thrown off by the unexpected attack and the descenders, alerted by her voice didn't suffer as high damage as they could. Her mind told her best plan would be to yank him by hair, use him as shield so she'd not fall victim to friendly fire, but instead, she moved so her body shielded his chest area, clawing at his hand that held the gun with unexpectedly sharp nails. Later, she'd wonder why she fought to protect both sides in this fight, but right now she just couldn't do anything differently.

And then Mannik stilled. The first thought was "they got him", and she pulled away sharply, but although the man's eyes were growing glassy, he was still breathing and red wasn't pouring out from anywhere. Then Adel noticed the dart in her captor's leg - she recognized it as the one used on valuable workers that were trying to run away. It was filled with drugs and extremely quick working. They could put a grown man out of it in mere moments.

She felt strong arms pulling her away and the woman let them, as her knees started to give in. Honestly, rest passed as a blur until she was on the ship, Mannik a slumped pile on the floor in same silvery vessel. There were so many Descenders here, she couldn't tell them apart with their helmets on, but she saw that two were heavily injured. Probably the two Mannik had shot. Quickly, they shed their helmets and before Adelmar knew it, Zenon pulled her in his arm and gave her the most passionate kiss he ever had.

Woman didn't know if this separation had woken some true feeling in her fiancee's heart or it was just adrenaline rush pumping through her fiancee's veins, but she also didn't really care. Only things on her mind were that she hadn't brushed her teeth for few days and everyone was looking. For some reason, this fact bothered her more than usually and after a polite time into the kiss, she pulled back and hid her face in Zenon's shoulder. This was what she wanted. Feeling safe and precious for few moments, in arms of man who had risked his life for her. He had and he had also put his friends in danger. And he was holding her tight, holding back of her head and caressing her hair, as if assuring that everything will be alright. It felt like she could just pass out this moment of black-edged bliss.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Last edited by sadrain; 01-05-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM

Mannik didn't know where he was. He was so confused. The soldier tried to think back. Adelmar...she'd attacked him. From behind. He'd never thought she would do so. What about the Commander? What had they done to her? His instincts had kicked in, and he began to judge his surroundings.

Despite being awake, and his head being fuzzy for some reason, he knew he was in the air, humming away quietly. Quietly? A ship from Seven, then. He'd been captured. Why wasn't he dead? He knew his stitches had broken open, although it hurt, the pain seemed far away. Finally, Mannik opened his eyes.

Of course. This would be the first thing he would see. Adelmar was locked in an embrace, kissing her fiance with more passion than Mannik would have thought possible. He struggled to a sitting position, and immediately regretted it. The world was spinning. Despite his situation, Mannik felt light headed and giddy. It was an unusual feeling.

"Why do you want him so bad?" Mannik heard himself say, though he hadn't meant to. "'Cause he's a pretty boy? Even though he treats you so bad, and sleeps around? Why the hell..?" He wanted to ask so much more. Wanted to find out why she'd attacked him, though it was obvious.

"For a second, just a split second, I thought all of this...hey...my ship doesn't have a button like that...." Mannik motioned to a blinking light nearby, and laughed. A rather rare sound. "What was I saying? Oh yeah...forces people into slavery...treats you so horribly...but you look at me like that?" Mannik's hair grazed his forehead as he shook his head. His hair felt sooooo good! He couldn't help himself, reaching a hand up and stroking the locks gently. "Hey...lemme...lemme touch your hair, Adelmar?" Mannik attempted to stand, but the world was behaving strangely, and he ended up falling. Another groan crawled from him, and he clutched at his side, wondering how badly the wound had ripped open.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM

Of course, nothing good lasts long. At least not in her life. But she certainly hadn't expected that it'd be Mannik's voice to interrupt it, sounding strangely light and soft, despite what he was saying. She turned to look at him, Zenon's arms still around her waist. In fact they even tightened, the possessive trait working its way to the surface. Adel didn't have to look at his face to know he was feeling far too insulted for something coming from drugged Below's soldier. But that was Zen for you. She untangled herself from him and moved toward Mannik and although Zen reached out to catch her arm, she slipped by it.

Green eyed man was laughing now, she had never heard him laugh, and he laughed about lights on ship? God, how could he be so drugged, yet conscious? Adelmar knelt down and pushed one of the jacket sides away, immediately having her fingers stained red. The stitching she had so carefully made what feels like lifetime ago, hadn't lasted all the struggling and she was partially at fault for that. "He needs medical help," she said, looking up to her fiance who had dark expression. "We have our hands full right now because of him," Zenon growled. "If this bleeding isn't stopped, he might never reach surface. If you took him alive, you better make sure he stays that way, right?"

Mannik only stopped bashing the other man to ask if he could touch her hair. Slight flush crept in her cheeks, but luckily, it had to be hidden by dirt. Still, the comment certainly didn't help her attempt to help him and Zenon crossed his arms, suddenly looking every inch Hadar. In response, her backbone stiffened, but she didn't leave Mannik's side. If he wanted to, he could very well reach out and toy with her braid or even strands by her face. "He got this injury making sure others wouldn't find and kill me. Your father's speech, the unedited one you probably have not seen, made everyone hound in on me and if not for this man, all you would have found today would be my raped, dead body."

Her fiance stared at her hard for a bit, then suddenly laughed: "God, I am so glad they haven't broken you, my silly lady." And she knew, that the moment of passion was over. They had fallen into the old, 'big, yet little sister and careless brother' routine. For some reason, she felt relieved. It was familiar, she needed the familiar right now. And she knew how to get what she needed from him in this role. Zen accepted that she, as his 'sister', talked back or scolded him on occasion. "Please?" she said and he sighed. "Fine, fine. I have some questions I want to ask him so I suppose I need to make sure he lives until then."

He walked away, towards the medic, passing Adelmar with a pat on head, in that affectionate, but careless manner, as if she was a pet that had run away on some chase, but now was back where she belonged - by his leg. The woman turned so she could have a good look at Mannik and forced a polite smile. "You will be patched up better than I ever could," she told him, mostly hoping that if she spoke, he'd stay quiet for a bit, trying to process her words and not sputter more embarrassing nonsense.

Last edited by sadrain; 01-05-2015 at 03:36 PM..

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Mannik fell silent, rolling over as Adelmar approached him. He reached out, touching her jaw gently. "I didn't hurt you...did I?" His hand moved to her hair, taking a strand in his fingers. Mannik rubbed it gently, and let out a small sigh. "I wanted to do this when you were sleeping...but I figured you'd get so mad..."

He fell silent again while the two spoke, though he couldn't follow the whole conversation. He felt so strange. His eyes shifted, however, finding the male from Above. "You don't deserve her, you know. Do you even love her?" He wasn't sure if Zenon heard, since he was already striding away.

Mannik's attention went back to the female, still playing with her hair. He had no idea why he was saying these things, but he couldn't stop talking. He sighed again, bringing the hair to his face. "You knew I got it for you?" His glazed eyes slid down, eyeing his bare chest. "Don't matter, I guess. Just another scar on the savage. Why did you want to come back to him so badly?"

She was talking, and Mannik tried to focus, although his other hand came up, stroking her arm. "You did fine. I liked it...when you were doing it...you were talking, and humming...it was nice..." It seemed like the drug was coming and going in waves. one second he felt woozy, the next it was like he couldn't function at all.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-05-2015, 04:03 PM

She told herself she was too busy trying to save his life to swat his hand away when he touched her, besides it wasn't like he was rough with her. Still, Adel flushed only deeper when he mentioned wanting to touch her when she was sleeping and Zenon's eyes gained a dangerous gleam. No doubt he was wondering if the savage had touched his fiancee more in this time. Why couldn't Mannik just keep his mouth shut and not work against his chance of survival, even if she knew, maybe it was better to let him die now. But she couldn't let him bleed out here on the floor like some animal. She'd... She'd never forgive it herself.

The woman saw how muscle worked in Val's jaw when he heard - oh, he had definitely heard - Mannik's last question, but he had enough composure and pride to not turn around and punch the daylights out of nearly unconscious man. So, she sighed in relief softly. When he asked if she had known, Adel frowned. "You thought I didn't?" her voice gave away her surprise, but it was also croaky and she licked her dry, cracked lips although it didn't help any. When was the last time she had drank? Last night, when she ate, and not a lot, saving most of it for Mannik although he had refused it, just like the roots. How long did it take for people to die from dehydration? Three days? "It was obvious, after that man shot at me and you hid me away."

She felt fidgety and also a pang of guilt when Mannik called himself savage. If she was asked, she'd still call most of Below's people that way. Not by choice, but they were savages. Yet, she also knew that this savage beast also lived in most people of Above, hidden away by only thin masks. At his question about her motives, she visibly twitched, taken by surprise. For a moment, Adel stared at him, hard. "I will tell you, just because you probably won't remember any of this, it wasn't because of him, alright?" she spoke in quiet voice, knowing it was probably lost to the drugged man, but somehow it felt good to let it out.

When he mentioned humming, Adelmar saw light at the end of tunnel. If only he'd remain quiet, especially when the doctor would arrive. It seemed that there were complications with shot soldiers, though, so there may be few minutes until then. She noted that it was one of the fellow descenders, not professional doctor, so it really was as she had thought - fully improvised plan that Zenon had made up himself. "Then, if I hum, will you stay quiet?" she asked, extremely hopeful the answer would be yes.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM

"I guess it was kind of obvious." Mannik laughed again, then winced, his eyes shifting the the wound. They returned to her quickly, though, as if Mannik didn't want to give up the sight. "I figured you thought it was an accident or something. I don't know."

"Then why was it?" He questioned, his eyes moving to her lips. His hand followed a moment later, stroking her face gently. "Was it really so bad, being with me down there?" He didn't notice she was keeping her voice down, and he was speaking rather normally.

At the idea of her singing, however, Mannik nodded his head. "Yeah..." He promised, lifting one of her hands and dropping his from her face. His gaze moved to the 'doctor' Adelmar had glanced at, and he spoke once more. "You shouldn't let them heal me. I doubt I'll bleed out..." His eyes shifted to Zenon's back. "But, we can hope. I'm sure your fiance will want to speak with me privately. And I'll be lucky to come out of that at all...Actually, maybe the lucky part would be the dying...I'm sure everything else will be..." The dark haired male fell quiet, looking back to her. "I'm sorry...I'll be quiet now...will you hum? Or sing..? Either one...please?" He peered at her hand, bending the fingers gently, tracing lines, and kissing the tips gently.

Something in his mind was warning him against this, telling him to stop touching her before Zenon gutted him, but he couldn't stop. She felt so right. Even though he knew it was wrong.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM

She felt like dealing with affectionate puppy that insisted on clambering up in your lap, constantly giving out little, yapping barks and over-enthusiastically licking your hands and face. Not that she had ever owned such a puppy, but her parents had brought her brother one. The boy had grown bored of it and even the little taking care he had to do fast, so Adelmar had been the main person to bond with it, until their father had gotten rid of it. It had hurt so much, picking these scraps of affection from things no one else needed and having them torn away from her just when she had started to accept the fact she could have them. And, wasn't this the very same scenario, in some absurd way? How could this man, that so gently worried about hurting her, say that he wished to rape her and mean it? Although she wished to think he wasn't capable of it, now that his dazed eyes constantly swam back to her face, she couldn't.

"No one should have to live down there. No one. And I have goals, dreams... Maybe one day, I will have power to change something," she told him in shushed tone, hurriedly, as if afraid that if anyone else heard, if the words hung in air for too long, they would never come true. It was strange how easy it was to talk with him, now that she hoped he won't remember any of this. It was just good to have a conversation of sorts about these things, even if the other person barely grasped what she said. It loosened her tongue, like drug did with Mannik's. Adelmar's face fell slightly when he mentioned her fiance and what he might do, but she pulled his hand away from her face and to his lap, leaving it there and linking her fingers together on her lap. "Zenon's bark might be worse than his bite," she told him, mentally adding 'especially if I have a say in it'. She might never be able to give this man his freedom, but she could try to provide him a decent life as prisoner. She kind of owed that to him, but her sense of duty might be tripping her up once more.

For a moment, she thought of singing to him, but realized they were already drawing too much attention to themselves, some of the soldiers throwing dark looks their way so she quickly withdrew the hand whose fingers he had so gently kissed (who even did that, aside from romance novel characters? Did Zen do this to his lovers? She for sure had never seen anyone do that...) from him as she started to hum the same melody of yesterday, feeling absolutely out of touch with the world, yet far too aware of everyone and everything.

Last edited by sadrain; 01-05-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-05-2015, 04:50 PM

"If you want it, you'll get that power then." Her next words, however, made his scoff and grin broadly. "I hope it's not. It's rather be killed during an interrogation than waste away in a cell, or be forced to work for people I couldn't stand."

As promised, Mannik fell silent, a smile still perched on his face as he listened. His hands had dropped to his chest, and his glazed eyes seemed to trace every feature. Like he was starving, and she was a banquet. He hadn't realized how badly he wanted her. How much he wanted her to want him. What would it be like, to kiss her like Zenon had been able to do? What would it be like to have her give him an approving glance, instead of one filled with disgust.

Without thinking, he broke his word, speaking softly, almost as if he was talking to himself. "You make me wish I was different. Not like, raised in Above or anything...Just...nicer...with less scars...a-and maybe that I talked like you...not...like all of us...I know it's stupid..." Again, Merrik was probably only saying and doing these things because of the drugs coursing through his system, but he struggled, sitting up, propping himself up with his arms. "I'm sorry...You'll be mad, but...just once..." He leaned forward, pressed his lips against hers.

The soldier would pay later, he was sure, but no one could fault her for him kissing her. A man going to his death was bound to do something stupid. He shut his eyes, partially to push down the feeling created by the drugs, making his very dizzy, and partially because he was sure blows would be coming, either from Zenon, or Adelmar herself.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM

His simple belief in her was astonishing. She hadn't even done anything to prove she could protect herself, do anything. Maybe in that last few minutes, when she had tried to negotiate with him. And that had gone very badly, so certainly didn't work in her favor to show her as strong individual. So, Adel chalked it up to his brains feeling hazy because of drugs. But when she hummed, he quieted and the young woman felt relieved. Perhaps they would get through this without doing even more harm than they already had. She had a feeling rumors would spread that she and him... Still, right now that seemed so far away and all she wanted was to know he'd survive the trip. Where was their medic for so long anyway?

She didn't stop humming while Mannik spoke, but she took in his words and for a moment, sadness reflected in Adelmar's eyes. She knew that feeling, knowledge, you are not good enough. Even if it wasn't true, even if you fought tooth and claw, it never really went away. At least it never had for her and after all she had experienced in past few days, the gorge of this feeling seemed to only get deeper. She had failed to protect herself, both her life and her heart (Mannik and even the children of Below had gotten too close for comfort), and the thought that she would be the talk of all the upcoming balls horrified her, of all the faked smiles and stories she'd have to spin. Future looked rather bleak, to be honest, although Adelmar guessed she will have her hands full, with Zenon's barely checked rage and trying to pull some strings on him to learn more of his parents' plan and so forth. She wanted to tell him he wasn't as bad as worthless as he painted himself to be now, that he had a streak of honesty rarely anyone, including her, had Above, but the words were heavy on her tongue and did they really need to tie this strange knot between them tighter? Better if he (they both) forgets the gentler side of her and recalls her only as the person who held knife at his stomach.

When he sat up, she stopped humming. "You should stay--" Adel began saying and then, suddenly, his lips were on hers. She had honestly not read the signs, most of her and Zenon's kisses so scheduled she knew which minute into dance he'd lean in and anything spontaneous was rarely anything more than a peck on cheek. For moment, the woman froze, utterly surprised that he'd dare, want to and be so gentle. Then the world and noise came rushing in and she sprang backwards, not unlike a startled animal. Zen was here, pushing Mannik down rather harshly and barking at men who hadn't thought to finally tie the captive's hands. She turned away, not wanting to see hurt in the green eyes, sure it'd swim up sooner or later. "Are you alright, did he hurt you?" Val asked and she shook her head. "No, no, I don't know what got into him. It was foolish to stay here, I guess I was just too tired to move and thought you'd come sooner." He gave her inspecting gaze, but let the matter rest now at the sight of her strained smile. After helping her up and reach the pilot's cabin, he settled her down in one of the metal chairs and brushed strand out of her face.

It was strange to feel his slightly rough touch after Mannik had been so soft with her just moments before and suddenly, the tears were overflowing and running down her face. Zenon, seemingly taken aback, hurriedly closed doors and then sat down beside her. "Silly lady, why are you crying now? It's all over," he said, obviously not knowing what to do with a crying woman. He patted her back awkwardly (another wave of tears). God, she had to get this under control soon. No, right now. "I- I was trying to, get some infor-mation out of him," she choked through tears, the lies so heavy and sour on her tongue, but still flowed off fluently, "while he was drugged. I think, he started to think I am Commander at some point and then he just..." Zen rubbed hand over his face and then wrapped arm around her shoulders, pulling her in sort of hug. She let her head rest on his shoulder for a moment, vaguely recalling this was what she had so desperately wished for earlier today.

"It's over now, he will never touch you again. He... He didn't touch you while you were Below, did he?" She furiously shook her head in reply. "No, no. I think, the Commander had ordered him not to and he dared not to disobey. Actully I think-" a sniffle interrupted her speech, but Adel wasn't crying as hard now, "this was all drug induced. He did babble about Imhoff before it..." She didn't notice the look that passed over her fiance's face at the mention of the other woman and maybe it was for the better. And although most of this were lies, she did think that very little of what Mannik had said were his thoughts, even on subconscious level. She didn't know from personal experience, but had heard that drugs changed a lot of things to exact opposite. "Okay. You're safe now, Mar. So, just stay here and let me take care of everything." It wasn't suggestion and she didn't have energy to protest or do something anyway.

Rest of the flight passed peacefully. Despite the whole incident, Zenon did get medic to provide some help for Mannik, whose hands were now tied, and the bleeding was stopped. The man wasn't very gentle about it, but the medicine he put on the wound automatically numbed most of the pain so Mannik couldn't feel it as sharply.

When they landed, most of the man, aside from one left to guard Mannik, rushed out of the ship. Adelmar followed, but she lingered at the doors, not quite ready yet to step back in 'her world'. And that is how she got to witness the next scene. 'Beta 1', who turned out to be one of the recently recruited soldiers was on the trolley. She had pegged him as a secretive type who wanted to stand out and it seemed that is what he had attempted down Below. Few moments later, the man was half pulled up, Zenon's fingers tightly clutching him by his silver shirt.

"What was with all these twitching trigger fingers earlier today?" Hadar heir called out, standing taller. "Did I order you to shoot that man?" he spat. "No I just thought--" the other tried to defend. "You thought? If you want to hunt with the alphas, you have to learn to run with the pack. That means following ORDERS of the top dog. And I was - am - the top dog of this mission." Zenon looked around at the men gathered, to see if anyone would challenge him, but no one dared to. "I planned it, I gathered you all, I say what happens. And if you're worried for me wasting my breath to order you to kill someone, then let me assure you, I will do it myself if needed." He shook Beta 1 and then someone finally got involved: "Hey, Zenon, chill! He's injured."

"Which is his own damn fault!" Val spat back, but let the man go. "Everyone, dismissed. Get the injured to medcenter and be back for briefing at 10am sharp." After that, he moved towards ship and stood in its doorway. "You take the prisoner to his cell. Don't forget to tie his eyes before that." Then, Zenon turned to Adelmar and grinned. "Let's go home now, hm?" she nodded and took his offered hand, slowly descending onto the familiar ground of hangar. She dared not to have one last glance back at Mannik, knowing that this was probably last time she'd see him in a long time, if ever.

The cell that Mannik was kept in didn't seem to be created for this purpose. Still, the small room had all metal walls and concrete floor, the doors were thick and there were no windows. Lonely, bare bulb blinked above him. Perhaps this was somewhere in the sewers, an old storage room for cleaning items or something of the sort. For first day, he had nothing else in the room other than bucket in corner tray of food and water brought in twice a day. The thick broth that filled his bowl was not the most delicious food of Above, but it was probably better than a lot of food from Below. Bread was slightly stale, too, but the water was cold and clean. The medic checked up on his wound once a day for first few days, but as it was healing nicely, he stopped coming. Instead, Mannik got a thin mattress to lay on. Ropes on his wrists were gone, replaced by two bracelets that would respond to button and then pull his hands together. Nothing else had happened and Zenon hadn't made an appearance. There was every reason to think he could soon, though, although perhaps the feel of time was rather blurred for Mannik.

Adelmar sat in front of mirror, applying make up. She wasn't preparing for ball or anything of the sort. No, she was trying to cover the horrible bruise that covered most of her side of face. Her 'welcome home' from father. He had attacked her in drunken rage just mere hours after she was home from all the doctor check ups on her second day back. Apparently, he wasn't glad to have his holidays interrupted by the girl that couldn't keep out of trouble even for a day. But her mother... had hugged her briefly and that said more than any "I am glad you are home and safe", especially because Adel could swear there were tears in her blue eyes. Her brother was still in Nine, staying with some relatives, and utterly oblivious to everything that had happened to her.

Her gaze strayed from her reflection to the knife resting on the bedroom table. Adelmar never went anywhere without it now. Not even bed. It remained under her pillow, like in that last night in Below. She tended to run her fingers over the handle, smooth from being handled so often by whoever was its previous owner, as if it could reassure her that she would never be alone and defenseless again with it hidden in her clothes. Everything else from her 'trip' had been burned, but no one had noticed she snatched the knife and hid it away. Or, if any of the servants noticed, they didn't bring the subject up.

After working for a while more, she gave up on her task with sigh. Black, blue and ugly purple couldn't be completely concealed by any make up and she already had a smooth explanation for it prepared. Ugh, the rumor mill was spinning to the point Adel wonder if it wouldn't fall apart in its eagerness. Some speculated she had been a willing partner in this, that she and her captor had a long running romance behind her fiancee's back, and she sympathized with savages. Others were sure that, even though doctor had signed paper that she was not deflowered, she had slept with kidnapper or someone else, more or less willingly. After all, Hadars could afford to hide such a shame. Finally having found some reason to throw mud at quiet, unassuming fiancee of Zenon Valmir Hadar, most jumped on the chance. Some felt sorry for her, however, and she was portrayed as the poor victim in public media, of course. This bruise put off any public speeches and taking part in balls or Shows, though, but in a way, Adelmar was grateful for it. Now it was time to face another day.

Of course, his parents had given him hell for the stunt he pulled. He was grounded (ha! At age of 23? Really?) and so on and forth. For being irresponsible, putting his life in danger when so much depended on him and getting involved when they had everything completely under control. (He hadn't been able to resist urge to roll his eyes at this.) But among people of his age, he was hero and the offers for parties and every other kind, were countless. Everyone wanted to hear how he had pulled this off. He gave enough credit to his team, of course, but everyone just took it as sign of humbleness (oh please, he was anything but that).

Adel seemed alright and he believed everything she had told him about the kiss incident. Or most of it, anyway. He did spread this version among his men, however, in attempt to thwart the dirty lies that were spreading through city, but it helped very little. Tomorrow, he'd kick his campaign up another notch, his fiancee couldn't be spoken of as some lowly tramp. His jaw clenched, thinking about the prick that was the reason for it all. Well, good deal of it. Today, while Adelmar was recovering, he planned to have a word with that guy. Three full days of bottling up anger were enough, but not too much to make him careless.

The guy better hope he really was thinking of the red haired spitfire when kissing his fiancee. Somehow, thought of these two Belowers together irritated him slightly, but honestly, everything about Man-what'shisname seemed to get under his skin. How dared he question if he loved Adelmar? It didn't matter! And how dare he touch her so tenderly... She was his, his little silly lady, and love was of no importance. Love didn't exist, actually. There was just lust and some level of caring, sometimes mixed together. And sure, he cared for Mar, just didn't desire her as a woman. That first kiss on the ship had hinted at a spark, but if honestly, when hearing how she had fought with her kidnapper (now, tell that to someone who said she was cheating on him with this savage!) reminded her of certain other woman who fought. Not that he had admitted to even himself.

Zen's boots thudded heavily as he approached the cell. There were two of 'his' men stationed at doors, bored as hell, so they were relieved to see him. He decided to chat it up with them, before he headed inside.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Last edited by sadrain; 01-05-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 AM

Honestly, Mannik believed that if Adelmar set her mind to something, she could get what she wished. He'd seen the fire inside of her. It burned much brighter than anyone seemed to realized. Mannik was unable to help another laugh bursting from his lips. Another comparison to the sun, then? What was so special about this girl? Why did he want her to look at him with the passion she'd displayed towards her finace? It drove him crazy, to feel this way about the girl and not even understand why!

He shouldn't have kissed her. Mannik knew it even as he was doing it. He would pay later, he was sure. But, it wouldn't compare to how he felt when she jerked away from him. Really, though, he'd expected it. It wasn't like Adelmar had anything but disgust for him. Still, it stung. Mannik lowered his head, letting his hair spill over his eyes. He didn't fight as Zenon stepped in, shoving him to the ground, despite the pain that flared up in the side of his stomach. He laid there quietly as they bound his hands, staring at the blinking light.

He was having trouble focusing, and to be honest, if it wasn't for his soldier's training, he probably wouldn't have been able to at all. When he managed to focus, he could hear her, Zenon removing her from the room. He listened to her speak to the male quietly, then burst out in tears. Mannik bit his lip. She broke down in tears just because he had kissed her? Her scorn must have been even more than Mannik had thought.

The door was closed then, and Mannik couldn't hear anything else. He laid there, closing his eyes. He remained that way the rest of the flight, even after the medic had come over, tending to him. He finally shifted to a sitting position when he heard Adelmar's light footsteps return.

He stared at her retreating form, and would have been unable to put into words how it made him feel to watch her holding hands with the other male. He wanted to call out to her, beg her to see something good in him...but, really, was there any? She didn't even look back, however, Mannik continued to stare, well aware he wouldn't get the chance again.

He had already come to terms with the fact that he was going to die. Mannik had realized that from the moment he had been captured. It didn't matter if the tortured him to death, since he certainly wasn't going to talk. It didn't matter if they tried to put him to work, since he would refuse, and attempt to escape. And it didn't matter if it was a public execution. He was going to die, and even if Adelmar didn't care if he was, he would still take the opportunity to watch his own personal sun vanish from his sky. He was so focused on her, he barely heard Zenon screaming at one of the soldiers Mannik had shot.

She was gone far too soon, and Mannik sighed, lowering his head once again. They tried to get him up and moving, but the soldier refused. After a bit, they finally had to drag him from the ship. He closed his eyes again, raising his face to the sun, drinking in the rays. Enjoy everything he could, before it was gone.

And it was gone very soon, once again. Mannik was alone in a cell. They dropped him down, changing the rope for some tiny bracelets, and left him in a heap on the ground. He didn't want to think, and attempted to daydream. That only brought up Adelmar, however. Mannik groaned, curling up. He fell asleep quickly.

When he woke, the drugs had worn off. Trying to keep his thoughts sane again, Mannik inspecting his cell. No wonder she thought so little of him. Mannik had tried to give her what he could Below, however, this little room was already better than anything he could offer. It was heated and cooled by tiny vents in the ceiling. There was no mattress, but Mannik wasn't used to one anyway.

The food that was brought to him was far better than anything he had tasted as well. Since there were no cameras in the room, Mannik felt glad that no one could see as he licked the bowl clean. After the first time doing this, however, he stopped, picturing Adelmar looking at him in disgust.

Other than that, Mannik was silent, following orders. The only time he disobeyed was when on of the guards had been taunting him, and let the tray of food 'accidentally' fall to the floor. He'd smashed the tray and broken it over the man's head before the cuffs had snapped together. The two men had knocked him to the floor, and Merrik ended up being cleaned up by the medic once again the next day. The medic seemed to think he was healing fine, however, and the third day didn't return at all. Still, other than that, no one even came, not to interrogate, demand, nothing. It was easy enough to judge time. By the time between the two meals, that was day, night was the longest period. He'd had five meals, so it had been three days.

The third day, once again, Mannik had been laying on the soft mattress that had been placed in the cell the day before, trying to keep his mind blank, when footsteps approached outside of the door. Words were being spoken, and Mannik sat up. It wasn't close to dinnertime. He stood and moved to the door, listening. Zenon's voice. So it was starting now.

To be honest, the waiting had been getting to Mannik. No matter what came no, Mannik kind of looked forward to the end. He moved away from the door, against the far wall, since he knew that would be the order coming. He pressed his wrists together as well: When the cuffs snapped together and he tried to fight, he ended up hurting his shoulders and wrists. He'd have plenty of pain coming from he soldiers in Above, he didn't need to cause himself any extra. Mannik leaned against the wall, his eyes on the ceiling. While he appeared rather uncaring, he was still rather tense, waiting for the door to open.

Last edited by Kisu; 01-06-2015 at 05:43 AM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-06-2015, 04:17 PM

The doors opened and there was the tell-tale snap sound when his wrists were bound again. Zenon entered the small room, the two soldiers hovering at the door, apparently more out of curiosity than anything else for now. The brown haired man looked around, his eyes lingering at the mattress for some reason, before settling on Mannik. This was first time he could have a better look at his prisoner. Valmir realized the other couldn't be much older than him, despite the dirt on his face making him look older. His hair was long and unkempt, color hard to tell in the flickering light, but it was dark - unlike most of people from Below. Same with his eyes, they were green and with hidden anger.

Zenon, on the other hand, had showered less than hour ago, and now his soft, brown hair fell in stylish mess over his forehead and into his grayish eyes. His outfit was simple, dark jeans, a shirt with popped collar, what looked like real leather jacket and rather heavy boots. He looked more ready for photoshoot than prisoner interrogation. Still, looks could be deceiving and he could pack a strong punch if needed to be and looking good didn't interfere with it at all. Perhaps, subconsciously, he wanted to underline how very much different they were, how much higher he was above this man that thought he had any rights to touch Adelmar and judge him.

"Blindfold him," he finally said with a gesture to guards, his voice as perfectly modulated as Adel's. After that was done, Mannik was dragged through rather long corridor and finally dropped in a chair. Blindfold was pulled off and he could see a very similar room to his cell, with simple metal table with small device on it before him and another seat on other side. Soldiers exited, taking the blindfold with them, and Zenon sat down on the opposite side. "I don't have a lot of time today, so I will get straight to the point," he started, "you are my prisoner. No one else aside from very few people know where you are so it's hopeless to wait for rescue from your kind. On the upside, you are not on deathrow yet, as you would be if my parents were aware of your presence here."

He paused, to let this sink in, before continuing. "If you answer my questions, I won't torture you. Really, no need to make you any worse looking. Any attempts to escape or attack me or my men will receive punishment, however. So, now that you've hopefully processed this, let's start with questions. First, I want to know who and how is spreading such sensitive information as how to get into Descender base." Zen's fingers tapped an impatient rhythm on the metal table.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Mannik had lowered his gaze slowly, glad he had brought his wrists together. He viewed the other man for a moment, and again, Adelmar came to his mind. He kept his face rather impassive, but anger boiled up inside of him. He wasn't angry he was caught: It was his own fault. He was angry at this man for getting someone like her. He didn't even know what he had. This pompous pretty boy in front of him would be the future ruler of Seven? The colony didn't have a chance. Mannik didn't know much about him, but he was rather biased, so this was the conclusion he drew.

He didn't resist or speak as he was blindfolded, and shoved stumbling down a long hallway. After a few moments, however, he was sitting at a table, blinking at Zenon. Did this man really think Mannik was just going to answer him? Deciding to play along for now, Mannik at least spoke.

"They won't come for me anyway. I shot at you. I'm the only reason you found your..." He couldn't say fiancee out loud, and instead continued. "I ruined their plans. Commander Imhoff isn't going to waste more soldiers to rescue a stupid one. As for being your prisoner. You can't keep me hidden forever. Someone will find me eventually. Even if they don't, when I don't give you the information you want to know, you'll make sure to clean all of this up."

Mannik shrugged, and leaned forward, meeting Zenon's gaze. "You'd be saving a lot of people, including yourself, a lot of trouble by killing me now. Unless you wanna skip to the torture and get your fun fix?"

Once this speech was finished, Mannik leaned back in the chair, grinning at the male. He wasn't going to answer the question, but there was a possibility he could make Zenon angry enough to go ahead and finish this. It would make his suffering over, and it would ensure he'd die before he could reveal any secrets of Below. "You're girl didn't think I was so ugly, curled up against me last night..." It was a lie, but he could remember mentioning her when she had been sleeping, so it was possible Zenon would believe him.

Back in the Aquarium, Sarah was pacing back and force, occasionally sending a scowl to the middle of the room. "What's wrong with you?" She screamed finally, a rather rare thing. She rarely lost her temper. For the moment, she was alone, which was probably why she was letting herself behave this way.

A dagger came from her clothing, flying towards the hologram. It flew through it, and lodged into a painting taped behind it. "Both of you!? What kind of soldiers are you? You letting enemies go, you letting emotions get the best of you!" A hologram head of Zenon was spinning slowly, and a stick figure that had Mannik's name written under it stared silently back.

She wanted her son back! She wanted to know why this stupid man from Above had let her go. She wasn't stupid. That other soldier had been aiming at her, and would have had a clear shot if Zenon hadn't stopped him. And as for Mannik, he would get the scolding of his life!

As it was, there were even less men than before. While their women were just as capable of fighting, if Imhoff took them on a rescue mission, there would be no one to care for the children. But, leaving Mannik above wasn't an option for her. She could understand why he had shot into the group, as infuriating as if made her.

After all, if she went Above herself to rescue Mannik, it would certainly be suicide, and Below would lose a valuable member. Again, she wasn't stupid. She made the plans. They were losing this war so badly. Frusterated, she sent another dagger towards the hologram, hearing a satisfied thud as it sank into the picture she'd drawn. She turned away then, her shoulder length red locks making a curtain around her face, staring intently at a map of Seven.

It was no use. From what she had been able to glean, no one even realized Mannik had been among the prisoners. There was only one person who would know where he was. The Commander turned, staring hatefully at the hologram.

Last edited by Kisu; 01-06-2015 at 04:39 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-06-2015, 05:41 PM

"Why are you so intent on having me torture you? I have no interest in smearing my hands with your blood," the distaste was audible in his voice, "and my soldiers could be overenthusiastic, so I am dealing with you alone." Smirk tugged at his lips, Zenon's eyes darkening a shade. He was sure there were ways to break this haughty savage even without laying finger on him. Well, without doing it too often, at least. But perhaps it was better to lull him in false sense of security, to let him think that he wasn't capable of anything much. Hadar heir had learned early that when you're underestimated, you get a chance to strike at even more vital spots.

"I hardly believe that your Commander will be as uninterested as you paint her to be in getting you back," Zenon replied with quirked eyebrow, the way he said commander strongly implying that he knew - well, he thought that he knew - there was something more between the two people of Below, "so it will be worth the possible trouble." Despite his previous resolve to not hurt Mannik, his jaw clenched at the mention of 'his girl'. But after a moment, he blew air through nose like angered bull and seemingly vented the emotion out. With nearly artistic shrug, he brushed the comment off.

"Even if what is true, I suppose you could serve to generate some heat and, from what I heard, she seemed rather eager to get away from you, to the point she fought you fiercely. My sweet Adelmar, raising her hand against someone... It's hard to picture, really, but I guess it's understandable, being among savages makes you act like one to ensure your survival." At this, Zenon seemed to remember something and brought out his social pad. After short moment, he set it up in front of Mannik. Frozen face of Imhoff was on it, with large 'play' button in middle of it.

"This is the video that was aired here Above. I have my reasons it was seriously altered and I think, you saw what truly happened. I would ask my Adelmar, but I don't want to trouble her with bringing up this incident for such trivial matters. Remember, if you are honest, this could benefit all of your people. I personally am not interested in adding more kindling to this fire that is starting through the cities." Zenon tapped the button and leaned back in his seat.

He was right that the video contained very little truth. Imhoff was painted in sadistic, crazed rebel's colors while Hadar Senior was the noble leader, trying to talk with true savage that wanted nothing more than bloodshed. Few times, muscle in Zenon's jaw worked as he listened and observant person would guess he wasn't particularly close to his father.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:51 PM

Mannik scoffed, and focused on the ceiling as Zenon once again denied wanting to hurt him. For a moment, however, his mask broke, and he glanced at Zenon, puzzled. Adelmar...she must have told her lover about Mannik blurting out that the Commander was his mother.

"She might have raised me, but she sees me as nothing more than a soldier she helped create. A soldier who gave away her prize bartering tool." Mannik stated, placing the mask back on his face. He hadn't thought she would tell that. It seems he had thought wrongly about Adelmar in various way.

"Is that what she said?" Mannik taunted, and shook his head. "Nah...she got all worried the soldiers would think she wasn't pure or something and shoot her, and had to do something, didn't she? How many times have you gotten to sleep with her, Zenon? Or you too busy with your hand up someone else's skirt to pay attention to the woman who is supposed to give you children?"

He fell silent as the SociPad was set in front of him, and watched. He scoffed and shook his head multiple times. He listed off a number, and glared at Zenon. "That's the number to the SociPad we have. Call it up, ask Imhoff for the real video, no tampering. I'm sure she'll figure out a way to get into the systems and project it for all of your ignorant people to see. Why would I lie about a video? I rarely lie. I just won't answer if it's something I don't want you to know."

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-06-2015, 06:21 PM

"Raised you?" although he hadn't meant to, he couldn't hide his surprise. Frowning slightly, Zenon looked at the other male. Imhoff couldn't be much older, at most few years, than this man was. Was she his eldest sister figure of sorts? "So you two are not together?" he asked, before he managed to bite his tongue and keep the question in (seriously, it wasn't really his business, aside from the fact it really did decrease the prisoner's value, although motherly feelings could be deeply underrated). At least he managed to keep it to himself that Adel had thought they were or that, at the very least, Mannik was interested in the red-head. It couldn't be that his silly lady was lying to him outright, could it?

But that thought was swept away by anger cloud flying in. This was taking more composure than he thought it would. Maybe putting it off for so long hadn't been the best idea he had had. His fingers curled up in fists under the table, but with yet another huff. "You have no right to address me by my first name and you can delude yourself, but my Adelmar knew my men would never hurt her. We went down there to save her." Honestly, he never called Mar 'his', but the way Mannik spun and spun conversation around her, made his possessive side come out.

"Nor it is your business what I do or don't do with my fiancee. But for your information, here it is improper to bed your fiancee before wedding and I respect her far too much to cause her problems that could arise if we consummated our bond and it was discovered." He clearly meant it 'here' like 'where people are civilized'. To rub the salt in even deeper, he added with smirk: "Besides, we have our whole married life ahead of us, no need to rush."

When Mannik mentioned the number, he snatched the pad on table up and with nimble fingers, saved it. It seemed that his anger was now seething at something else than the prisoner now, most likely his father. Ugh, he hated to be left in the dark and the more this situation bloated, the more his parents did it. They thought he was still a boy with mother's milk on his lips. Well, he'd show them! He'd accomplish what they couldn't with army and spies. "Whose idea it was to kidnap my fiancee?" he asked, suddenly. "Imhoff's, someone else's?"

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Mannik mimicked the man's surprised look. "What? Toge-gross, man! My parents were taken on a Raid...she took me in. W-why does any of this matter? I'm telling you, they aren't coming for me. As a hostage, I have no value." He managed to get his mask back on, staring behind the man, but he was still rather confused. Perhaps that was why everyone had thought Sarah would come for him?

His emerald eyes hardened as Zenon went on to mention that Adelmar was his, Mannik was deluding himself, and that they had the rest of their life together. The soldier spun out some questions, but Mannik was beyond even playing the game. Still, the questions Zenon asked seemed harmless enough. He wasn't going to betray the woman who had raised him by giving away info on her.

Instead, the man from Below leaned forward, giving Zenon a cocky grin. "Aww, come on now, Zen. Really? Have you even seen the side of her she let me see? You talk about her like she's so frightened of the world." He continued, meeting the other man's gaze. "You know I was right. You don't deserve her. If Below knows about you sleeping around, do you think she doesn't? How's that gotta feel for her? You are scum. She's so far above you, and the worst part is, you don't even see it..." Mannik laughed, leaning back. It was awkward, but finally, he managed to prop his feet on the table, his chained hands sitting in his lap, appearing like he didn't have a care in the world.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 PM

Everyone's patience had a limit and Zenon's wasn't very big. This... this savage had a way to get under his skin like no one else. Maybe because no one else had dared, but the reasons didn't matter. Only the result did. And that wasn't going to be pretty. He let Mannik finish, his hands fisted and ready to punch, but no, this is what he expected. He had to vent his anger differently. With words he could probably cut so much deeper. But seriously, how could this guy act all high and mighty, as if he knew his silly lady so much better, had some kind of upper hand in this situation? He was nothing, a kidnapper and uneducated savage! Not worth even one hair on her head.

"And you think you know her? After what... 2 days when she was your prisoner, you think you know all sides of her? You forced her to fight for her survival and you think you have even the slightest inkling what Adelmar is like? I know her smile when she's caught up in her favorite book, I know her favorite sweets and how she dances, how she is when she doesn't have to be afraid." He stood up now, seemingly to grow in size with his frustration - and he wasn't short man to begin with. His fists came to rest on table as Zenon leaned forward, sneer on his lips. "Perhaps... You're even dumb enough to think you're the better match for her, that you deserve her? What could you give her, other than grief and despair? She'll be respected and treasured by my side. She will want for nothing!"

Who knows what would happen next, because as he spilled these words, Zenon seemed to be working himself only further in a frenzy, but at this moment, voices began talking behind doors and Hadar turned to look in that direction with a frown. No one was supposed to be here. Seconds later, the doors were pushed in and Adelmar stood in the doorway with slight pout that froze on her lips at the sight before her. "Oh... They didn't tell me that..." she said, her eyes glued to Mannik and then they slowly swam up to Zenon. Her hair was put up in intricate hairdo, but few strands fell around her face, half shadowing the mark on her face. She wore dark coat with barely visible floral pattern weaved into it. It was open, revealing simple gray-purple dress underneath with thin belt to accent her waist and she wore tiny, high heeled boots, so absolutely unfit for the place where they were.

The anger still burned behind his eyes, but his lips twisted into smile as he moved towards her, planting kiss on her forehead and then touching her jaw with true worry in his eyes. "Why are you here and what happened to your face?" he asked. "Well, we had that lunch date planned at your house, I decided to stop by earlier, but you weren't there, so I knew you had to be here," she explained, trying very hard to not look Mannik's way, as she struggled to keep smile on her lips. "As for the bruise, don't worry about it - I was training with the robot dummy yesterday, set the difficulty too high and it got me." The lie was smooth like perfectly polished stone, still Zenon frowned at her, eyes searching hers for glint of deception. Even if he caught it, he let the matter rest. "Silly lady, that's why I don't want you to be using it without me. Come, I will have med robot heal it. Why didn't yours do it?" He grabbed both devices from table and led her out, hand on the small of her back, but for briefest second, Adelmar glanced over her shoulder at Mannik with expressionless face.

Last thing Mannik could hear was Zenon casually ordering soldiers to blindfold him and take back to the cell. He was to be left alone in peace until tomorrow or maybe even day after that, the meals arriving like they had before.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Mannik had lost this fight. It was apparent. He wasn't intimidated by Zenon standing over him, or the sneers, but his words cut far too deeply. Mostly because they were true. Mannik barely knew Adelmar. Maybe that was why he wanted her? She was something so much better than him. Something unattainable. Zenon would get all of those things in his life, and not even realize how lucky he was to have them.

He lowered his head, once again thankful for the long, thick strands of hair that fell over his face, unable to think of a response. Before he could collect his feelings, Adelmar was in the room. He had lifted his head instinctively, and immediately looked away. His emerald eyes remained on the wall, though he listened intently. The only movement was when her bruise was mentioned, at which point Mannik risked a quick glance to her.

All it did was dig the knife in deeper. She looked gorgeous. And happy. He looked away again, not noticing when she glanced back. He heard the order, and slid from the chair. Good, something he could channel his anger into. Screw it. Why behave, all he was was a captured savage.

When the soldiers entered the room, it took quite a while to subdue the soldier from Below.

It was the same at mealtimes now. Mannik had a habit of attacking anyone who entered the room. Instead of laying numbly on the mattress, he moved around the cell, jogging in place, sit ups, push ups, any form of exercise that could make his muscles scream. He wanted to be too tired to think. And it worked well, for the most part.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-07-2015, 12:43 AM

Her chest was growing painfully tight with no air now, but she resisted the urge to surface for just a moment more. Then, sputtering, Adelmar pushed out of the water that had grown pleasantly mild over the time she had spent in bath just relaxing and trying to piece today together. When she had found out that Zenon wasn't in his quarters, she had immediately guessed where he was and who was occupying him, but to catch him interrogating Mannik... That she hadn't expected. At least, he didn't look much worse than before, but maybe only because she arrived precisely when she had. Her fiancee had been on the brink of hitting something and she guessed it wouldn't be the table. What the soldier from Below had said to bring him that far down along the anger path, she didn't know and didn't really want to know either.

Zenon had sneaked back in with no issue and they had spent the afternoon together. He was absolutely livid, moving about the room constantly and talking about both important and meaningless things. Again and again, he returned to talk about Mannik, though, and questioned what she had found out about Below, like why she had thought he and Commander were lovers. Apparently, Mannik hadn't maintained the cover and that could turn for the worst for both of them, exposing her lies and bringing to ruin the little reason Zen had kept him alive for.

Strangest of it all must have been when her fiancee finally settled down by her side and looked at her with serious expression, asking her if she minded that... he took lovers. She had stammered at that and said something about understanding that he had 'needs', probably being beet red then, but that it didn't make her happy and if he continued once they were married... At that, he had grasped both of her hands and swore that once they'd be wife and husband, he'd be faithful to her. In that moment, he actually meant it. If it would last once they were married and one of the beauties smiled at him lasciviously, Adel doubted it.

After she had prepared for bed, young woman slid under smooth covers. It was such underrated pleasure - to bath, to sleep in large and comfortable bed. She, too, had thought it so simply and easily available. But there were so many people that couldn't even imagine something like it. What would Commander Imhoff or Mannik look like if they lived the life of lords and ladies? Happy, laughing, well fed and taken care of? She couldn't really picture it.

In all honesty, after seeing what people of Below lived like, she kind of understood even less why they fought so hard to get back there. From one side, some got very bad owners that were harsh and horrible to them, but some got treated decently. They got more food, clothes, chance to bathe often and all the simple, but important things in lives. They could even marry and have children. Not all were slaves, some were simply workers. Her own maids couldn't complain much about their lives and her father was not a very kind master. The kind of desire to be free she couldn't quite understand. From childhood, she was raised to be beneficial to her family name and that was all she wanted. Still, she wouldn't have been completely against bringing some supplies to people of Below if the kidnapping plan would have went as they had intended. (But it never would.)

Sighing, Adelmar toyed with the knife, sliding her fingers over it until it suddenly nicked her pale skin. Wincing, she sucked the blood drop and hid the weapon under her pillow, waiting for sleep to claim her. Her mind continued to spin around all the people she had seen in past few days, especially lingering on Mannik, Imhoff and Zenon. For some reason, they all stared at her with disappointment as she fell asleep.

When Imhoff's social pad final 'rang' it was on the thin line between late evening and night. The number was unfamiliar (Zenon had gotten a new personal SociPad that he kept a secret from his parents, feeling incredibly annoyed and pushed into role of rebellious teenager). If the woman chose to answer, it'd be his image that filled the screen. He was sitting in high back chair, wearing snow white shirt with few open buttons, slight stubble and tousled hair. It seemed like there was fireplace crackling behind his seat. If he were sipping something from a glass, it could as well be advert for some expensive liquor instead of call to person who lead the opposition forces. Either he didn't take her very seriously or was trying to impress her. (Zen wasn't sure which one it was himself.)

"Commander," he greeted her, his tone rather calm and rather well mannered. "I contact you regarding this," for moment her face flashed across the screen, obviously from the speech video, "message. I have reasons to believe it was tampered with and would like to see the unedited version from your side. It'd be better if you sent it to this number, instead of aired it publicly - no reason to add even more wood to the fire that's boiling water that everyone is ready to dump on your people. Let's just say, this is private investigation of sorts." He did actually have the gall to grin at her then. But then the man turned serious once more, although smirk played in corners of his mouth.

"Ah, about your son - he is alive and well, the rather nasty injury he suffered - from your people, no less - has been treated. If you would be interested in trading for him, you can contact me via this number." He moved to seemingly turn the call off, but then tapped finger against his chin and looked at her with spark of curiosity: "One last thing - whose idea was it to kidnap my fiancee? Don't worry - I do not plan to exact any revenge on the person who had such a foolish thought, I think the trouble this has stirred up is punishment enough. Just trying to piece some things together."

Last edited by sadrain; 01-07-2015 at 02:04 AM..

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 AM

Sarah was at her wit's end. She was still unable to determine where Mannik was, or if he was even alive. She was past caring that he had given up Adelmar. After caring for the boy for so long, she couldn't just let him go to...to what? She had no idea. The only thing she could think is that he had been standing there when Adelmar had made her call. She would never forgive herself if he was hurt. She should have told him to move.

The SociPad rang, and Imhoff glanced at it in surprise. No one had the number to that-Mannik! Mannik knew the number! He had to be calling! He must have escaped in some way. The Commander's hands shook and she dropped the tiny thing, before finally picking it up and answering, prepared to chew her 'son' out.

The face that appeared made her usual stern face snap into existence. "Zenon Hadar." She greeted him back with a curt nod, slightly disappointed. Mannik must have given the number out. Why? What had they done? Mannik wouldn't crack easily. She felt a moment of panic. He knew more of Below's secrets than any other one person, excepting herself. None of this was shown on her face, however. She also didn't seem impressed by Zenon's display of wealth, or his dashing appearance. If anything, scorn seemed rather apparent in her eyes as she took in Zenon's surroundings and appearance. She listened quietly as he spoke. He wanted the original exchange between them? It was easy enough, but she wasn't sure why he wished it. "Send me your version, then." Imhoff stated once he finished, before Zenon could continue, she listed off another number. She couldn't watch a video that long unless it was on the ComPad, and since that's where the original was recorded, she'd have to use it to send it to this number anyway.

She stiffened as Zenon continued, though the movement was slight. Mannik was alive! She felt relieved. She had no clue about any injury, but was relieved to hear he was alive. Again, she was mildly surprised at what Above knew. She replied, choosing her words carefully. "Mannik is not my son. It seems your information is wrong, Mister Hadar. What a pity, if you can't even keep the facts straight...and here I was thinking you were a cut above those other soldiers on that floating hunk of metal. What of all the others you took to Seven? They are all alive and well?" Sarah didn't respond to the idea of a trade. She couldn't. If she tried to trade for Mannik, she would lose all respect from her people. But, it had settled something in her mind. The Commander would go to Seven, tonight if possible.

The man's next question made her raise an eyebrow. Mannik had given them the number to this Pad, but didn't tell them that? He wasn't broken then. He must have had a valid reason for giving them the information. She'd find out soon enough. It was Sarah's turn to smile. "Why, Mister Hadar...why would I lie? You can't 'punish' someone you don't have, and can't even get. Capturing Miss Wislawa was my idea. No one else's. No one else even had a hand in planning her kidnap, although I did have one of my best soldiers carry it out. That's a rather odd thing to ask." She leaned forward, and it was clear the was debating asking her own question. She wanted to know why this infuriatingly cocky man had let her go. She thought better of asking the question, however, and clicked the Pad off.

As soon as it was off, Sarah was flying around the room, collecting supplies.

Last edited by Kisu; 01-07-2015 at 02:32 AM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 PM

When she requested to see Above's version, he contemplated it for a moment, but finally nodded: "Fair enough." Sweeping fingers over the social pad, he sent the video to the new number. Although it didn't seem like it, but with the casual sweep his eyes did over Imhoff's surroundings, he was quickly drawing information. He hadn't been in any of the inhabitable Below's building before, but this still felt different from the most and the man tried to picture where this larger room could be located.

Although she attacked him for his misinformation, he only grinned at her, eyes sparkling with amusement. Oh, she was entertaining! He had shaken her balance slightly, to have her change her tactics so. What he had said couldn't be so far from truth as she'd like to have him think. Mannik was her weak spot after all. He decided he'd take Adelmar shopping for leading him to this piece of information. "Why thank you, Commander," Zenon drawled at her compliment, "but no need take my words so literally. Not all bonds are born from blood. And as for the rest, I don't keep such a personal watch over them, but they are being treated well."

At her mention that he couldn't punish her, for he couldn't have her, something flashed in his gray-blue eyes and he leaned slightly closer to camera, gaze boring into hers with fierce intensity. Then Imhoff told him that it had been her idea all along and he frowned slightly, as if disappointed at this. "I see, I see... I suppose I could have overestimated you after all, Commander, but we will see, won't we?" There was a definite challenge in his voice at that, and last thing she would see before turning the call off would be mocking, two finger salute he gave her.

He went to sleep content that night, glad he had contacted Imhoff and it had yielded good results. More than before, he expected her to come for Mannik and maybe the others and had already taken cautionary measures. He'd like to catch her in a fair game, though, to see who had the most wit and fire after all. How long would hers last as his prisoner? Not that he planned to mistreat or shame her in any way, for now he thought of her more like captivating rival and challenge rather than woman, although there was no denying she was beautiful in her own right...

Adelmar woke up with a start, staring into darkness ahead of her. After a moment, she fell back into the fluffy pillows and sighed. What a strange dream she had had! She had been standing on a cliff over stormy sea, staring into the water. She knew she was dead, few blood drops still beading and rolling down from the cut lines on her arms. Below was her passage into the next world, life, now that she was awake, she couldn't define it anymore. It was simply knowledge. And she had been waiting for someone. After a while, man appeared next to her, knife deep in his stomach. In the dream, she didn't know his name, she simply knew him, but now she recognized it as Mannik.

"How did that happen?" he had asked, looking at her wounds. "An accident," came her simple reply. "Mine too," he had nodded. "Strange accident - knife in guts," she had said with quirked eyebrow. "No stranger than yours," he reflected and she shrugged. "True enough. So, shall we?" He had taken her hand then and they jumped in the water below. Right as they hit the foamy tips of waves, she had woken up.

This wasn't first bizarre dream she had seen ever since returning home, but could very well be the most strange one. She had never considered self-harming, so it was complete nonsense. And why would Mannik be there? Sure, she couldn't quite get the image of his injury and the way she had had to sew him up out of her mind, but still. There was little hope for sleep now, so young woman sighed, got up and pulled her long robe on. She hid knife behind the belt, in the soft waves of the fabrics and exited her room. What surprised her there was that one of the elderly servants seemed to be checking something against one of the vases in corridor. "Garren?" she called out, "is something wrong?"

The man jumped, nearly out of his skin it seemed, and turned to her. "No, no, miss, I was simply - ah, mistress thought the vase might be cracked and I did not have time to check it until now, but it is fine. So I will be going now," with that he scurried off, leaving Adelmar completely confused. Who'd do such a thing in middle of the night? Suspicion grew in her stomach, but she decided she'd see if it was true after she had taken few breaths of fresh air. Walking out on the balcony, she leaned against railing with a sigh.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Imhoff caught his eyes floating around and cursed mentally. They would have to move from the aquarium. She was making mistakes now. She'd been so relieved, thinking it was Mannik who was calling, she hadn't thought to move so she was against a wall. She was making mistakes. She needed to get this under control.

The ComPad beeped, and she glanced at it, talking to Zenon. "Go ahead and get a good look. We'll just move it all again anyway." Her voice was curt, and when she looked back, she smiled, though it was rather cold. She wanted to deny her bond with the man, but she wasn't going to outright lie. She was better than that. Personally? So she had been right. Mannik was Zenon's prisoner. Her eyes narrowed. It looked like she'd be paying a visit to Zenon later tonight.

She stiffened at the clear challenge, and crossed her arms over her chest, before the screen went blank. She didn't care whether he expected her or not. She didn't have a choice. She had to rescue Mannik.

As soon as the screen went blank, she finished getting ready to go to Above. Zenon expected her. Hell, he had practically invited her. 'We shall see, won't we?' Most likely he would be under heavy guard, as well as Mannik, then. God, what was she doing? This was so suicidal. Once again, her bright red hair was stuffed into a cap, then the soldier made her way to the ship she would be using.

~</3~

He would never admit it, but this had been one of Mannik's fears since he had decided to follow in the Commander's footsteps and become a soldier. To be locked up and forgotten. Mannik felt like he was going crazy. He couldn't sleep: Everytime he did, he heard Adelmar crying. He'd look and look, but it was like she was running from him. And she probably was.

When he was awake, it was just silence, and this small room, along with the knowledge that he was oh-so alone in this world. He'd finally started messing with the door, but it was solid, and there was no way he could make it budge. Exercising only worked for so long. After a while, Mannik slid to the floor in the corner of the room, burying his head into his heads. Despite using the food to tell time, he was starting to get mixed up. It was just another thing pestering him.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Few hours later, Zenon drowsily opened his eyes, royally annoyed at the constant beeping to his right. It was still middle of the night, whoever had had the brilliant idea to put his alarm on was going to punched right in--. Oh. Looks like he owed a punch to himself. Groaning, the man sat up and swung legs over the side of bed. There was a sharp sting of pain suddenly through one of it, radiating up and down it and he grumbled under his breath about incompetent doctors and med droids.

While he got ready for the day - well, night -, the man hoped that getting up in black of the night wouldn't be for nothing and that the little spitfire would turn up. Honestly, he could let the guards deal with it, but this was personal. Sort of. He wanted it to be personal. She and him. Besides, if she came here thinking that Mannik was here, she was sorely mistaken. So, what would she do to get the information of his location out of him? As sorry as he was for Adelmar going through all she had, he had to admit, his life had sort of taken a brighter turn because of it. There was something happening in it now.

Hadar Junior put on his stealthier clothes, the material merging with the soft shadows of his family's residence, picked his weapons - pair of knife and a gun with silencer, although he didn't really plan to use the latter - and few other weapons and slipped into darkness. There were guards positioned around the estate, but not more than often. However, he had taken extra measures to protect few other areas, some as dead end leads and one that actually held Mannik.

In his mind, he replayed the two conversations that he had had with Commander. Honestly, they were far too short for his liking, but she had lot of guts, ordering him around and even being the one to end the call. Most people he took up here, feared him instantly, just not her. And that stupid protegee of hers. Although, somewhere in corner of his mind, he felt glad that the two of them simply thought of one another as family, not something more. Why, he couldn't quite pinpoint. He knew physical attraction that beautiful face in gorgeous outfit (or lack of it) created in a man, but didn't know what it was like to be interested in someone for something else than their body.

Cool wind helped Adelmar clear her thoughts, although as some were brushed away, new ones came instead. Just recently, she could only dream of this brisk air and was trapped far below, while now Mannik was kept in some metal cell. How did he cope? She recalled how he had patted her back that first night, the simple comfort she had gotten from it while loathing herself for needing it. Who was there now to give him some comfort? She shook her head. No, she shouldn't be thinking these things. He had food, warmth and that was more than he had had below, right? And there was nothing she could do for him.

Although she certainly planned to try and placate Zenon so he'd not kill him in fit of rage. Although Mannik might prefer that... Adel recalled the passion that he had spoken Below, angry at everyone from Above. Why hadn't any help be extended to people down there? She didn't know. Rumors said they didn't have enough resources and as luxury items grew more scarce even for noble families, she was inclined to believe it. But why, why hadn't new means to produce food and simple things created over all this time they lived in domed cities? The woman sighed. She was just a dumb girl trying to find her way in darkness that everyone kept over her eyes. She'd probably never know the truth.

It was growing chilly and she decided to return to her room. Stepping in the corridor, her gaze stopped at the vase. Carefully, she tiptoed towards it and began inspecting it and the table it stood on. Eventually, her search led to finding tiny device placed at the base of decorative item. A listening device, camera? She wasn't sure, but Adel nearly dropped like it had burned her. Then, with quickly beating heart, she placed where it had been before and rushed in her room. She had to let Zenon know, he would know what to get her so she could neutralize them somehow. Who would try to spy on her and why?? Even more questions spun in her mind as she paced around her bedroom nervously.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:04 PM

It wasn't long before Sarah was above. She managed to find one of the leads Zenon had covered, thanks to a soldier she left dead and hidden. It was well guarded, and it took all of her skills to come out still undetected, however, Mannik wasn't held there. Clever boy...

After the first failed attempt, and with time not on her side, since it was only a matter of time until she was discovered, the Commander made her way to the Hadar residence. It was well guarded, and another hour before she was able to enter. She thought of assassinating the leader of Seven, however, to be honest, she was here for Mannik. Besides, that would just put Zenon in charge, and from what she had seen so far, the man was much smarter than his father. It was surprising, however, because he was always painted as a someone who did his job and followed orders, and a womanizer. But a calculating patient man? It seemed far fetched when she compared it to what she knew.

Eventually, she was standing in Zenon's bedroom. She knew much more of Seven than anyone realized, and didn't pause to inspect any of the items, moving quietly to the bed. There was no lump in it, however, and Sarah tugged the blankets off, staring at the empty bed. Had he...gone into hiding? There was no way she would be able to find him now! She felt like screaming, but instead smiled. He was much more clever than portrayed.

She tugged an item from her pocket, and brought a map up of Seven, peering at the tiny hologram, and trying to figure out where Zenon could be holed up.