lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM

This is a set of drabbles for a list of themes I picked up from a livejournal community called 50_Lovequotes a while ago. Each prompt is a cliché romantic quote, which can be found on their original site by following the above link, but will also be posted below for the sake of ease.

Things to Note

1. These drabbles can also be found on my livejournal and my fictionpress account, so if you happen to find them on either site, I swear to you they aren't plagiarised... Unless they're attached to a name without the word Lines in it, in which case, well, yeah, they are, and somebody's nicked them off me.

2. My drabbles are all exactly 100 words-- not a single more or less. As such, they're a little confusing sometimes, because it's hard to tell a story in such a limited word count.

The first twenty-five of these I'll post tell a story in chronological order, and were started in '06 and finished in '07. Anything posted after those first twenty five will be from the same story, but not in order, and will have been written after the start of this thread. Look at me go, finally getting my lazy butt in gear and finishing this challenge!

4. These drabbles contain violence, although it is largely nondescript, and slash (male/male relationships). They're not intended for younger readers, so, just consider yourself warned.

5. Con-crit is appreciated, but I'm not actively looking for it :)

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 12:49 PM

The Themes

Quote:
1. I would go anywhere to get to you, so why is it that all you have to do is smile to get to me?

2. Kisses are like tears. The only ones that are real are the ones you can't hold back.

3. It's funny how someone can live each and every day without knowing that their existence is the reason you live.

4. A little jealousy in a relationship is healthy. It's nice to know that someone is afraid to lose you.

5. Find someone who will stay awake just to watch you sleep.

6. A dream is just a dream until you make it come true.

7. You are everything I never knew I always wanted.

8. I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.

9. You can't stay mad at someone who makes you laugh.

10. I look at them, and they look back with those incredible eyes, smile, and it pathetically makes my entire day.

11. I don't love you because I need you; I need you because I love you.

12. Faith is believing in something when common sense tells you not to.

13. I think the worst thing about life would be having to go through it without you.

14. Never say sorry for what you meant to do.

15. Some things are worth waiting for...even if you have to wait forever.

16. For some moments in life, there are no words.

17. All I want is for someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be okay.

18. Someone asked me what I saw in you, and my only answer was everything.

19. Sometimes, you need to run away to see who will follow.

20. Goodbyes make you realize what you've gained, what you've felt, and what you've taken for granted.

21. I never knew I had a dream until that dream was you.

22. People wish upon stars because one day, they hope that those wishes will come true.

23. We're so weird. That's what I like about us, actually.

24. Being deeply loved gives you strength; deeply loving someone gives you courage.

25. To fear love is to fear life.

26. Kiss; a lovely trick designed by nature for when words become unnecessary.

27. It's not that I want to have you. I want to deserve you.

28. No three words have a greater power than "I love you".

29. Nothing is more beautiful than a love that has survived the weathered journey of life.

30. Love is when you would willingly give up everything if it meant they would smile.

31. You have to walk carefully at the beginning of love. The running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later, when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip.

32. Love knows not its own depths until the hour of separation.

33. Right now, I can't remember yesterday, and I don't care about tomorrow. This moment is all that matters.

34. When you love someone, it's something. When someone loves you, it's another thing. When you love the person who loves you back, it's everything.

35. Love is, in fact, everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.

36. Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt.

37. I know it's hopeless when you're my answer to every question.

38. You don't need me or anyone else to make you special; you already are.

39. I can't promise you the world. I can't promise you wealth, comfort, or even happiness. But I can promise you one thing...no matter what happens, you will always be loved.

40. Hello is such a simple word. But from the right person, it can mean everything.

41. Never be afraid to touch someone.

42. Be careful with your heart. If you give it away, you may never get it back.

43. Sometimes someone can say something so small and meaningful that it manages to fit right into that empty space in your heart.

44. Tears are words the heart cannot say.

45. A promise is all I want; a promise that you will never forget me.

46. Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was choice, but falling in love with you was completely out of my control.

47. I never want another person to know just how incredible you are.

48. Don't say we aren't right for each other. The way I see it, we aren't right for anyone else.

49. It's not what I feel for you. It's what I don't feel for anyone but you.

50. What's meant to be will always find a way.

Completed: 25/50

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 01:00 PM

3. It's funny how someone can live each and every day without knowing that their existence is the reason you live.

It strikes him one still afternoon of summer, that he doesn’t feel like he wants to die anymore. There’s a warmth where there used to be cold nothingness, and things that never used to make him feel, do.

Painful things, like firing a magazine of bullets into a man’s gut.

Peaceful things, like a long hot shower.

And all that’s changed is… Well, nothing.

But he doesn’t want to die anymore.

He wants to live.

And he thinks, when Kailen smiles that long, slow smile, that maybe it’s Kailen’s doing.

And he thinks, that maybe this is a good thing.

46. Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was choice, but falling in love with you was completely out of my control

They shake hands and smile, electricity in the air. A brilliant feeling she can’t describe fills Jess to the brim, and she’s so glad she’s finally introduced them.

A few weeks later, and the two of them are sitting side-by-side, laughing, whispering, pulling each other’s hair. Jess sighs happily, waiting for fate to kick in.

Months go by. Finally it happens, when Mikayl steals under her covers at some ungodly hour of the night and pulls her close. “Y’know, Jessie, I think I’m in love with him,” he tells her. She nuzzles into him sleepily, smiling.

“Thought you’d say that.”

37. I know it's hopeless when you're my answer to every question.

“There’s a simple enough way to check,” She chirrups, and Mikayl lifts his head just enough to give her a hopeful look.

“Really?”

“Oh, sure! All you have to do is say the first word that comes into your head.”

“I can do that.” He props himself up onto his elbows and nods at her.

“Mkay! First word is: apricot.”

“Uh… hair.”

“Black?”

“Coca-cola.”

“Skinny?”

“Wrists.”

“Edge?”

“Heaven.”

Jess laughs. “Hmmm…”

Mikayl grimaces. “‘Hmmm’ what?”

“You’re totally screwed. Apricot scented hair, cola addiction, skinny wrists, fascination with Wham… You’re hopelessly in luuuuurve with Kai-Kai.”

He groans, sitting back again. “Fuck.”

33. Right now, I can't remember yesterday, and I don't care about tomorrow. This moment is all that matters.

The rain was falling heavily outside, and roaring as it hit the roof. Kailen woke up to find Jessica asleep lying across his legs with her head resting on his thigh, to find Emmanuel’s back pressing to his own, and to find Mikayl watching him. He blinked fuzzily. “What happened?”

Mikayl shifted closer to him on the bed. “Don’t worry about it, Kai. Yesterday doesn’t matter, and tomorrow doesn’t matter either. All that matters is now, this moment.” He pressed his forehead to Kailen’s and sighed. “Just try and go back to sleep, babe.”

Kailen saw no point in arguing.

15. Some things are worth waiting for... even if you have to wait forever.

They’ve been on stakeout for hours now, and they know their target isn’t going to show up. But they’re still stuck in a car with broken air conditioning.

Slouched in the backseat, Kailen keeps the conversation moving. “He’s so thick-headed—can’t say three little words. ‘I like you.’ Is that so hard?”

“He doesn’t just like you, Kai,” Emmanuel murmurs back. “He’s seriously, head-over-heels in love with you. Tell me that isn’t worth waiting for.”

“Yeah I know.” He fans himself with a convenient road map, and they sweat some more. “I just hope he doesn’t keep me waiting forever.”

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 01:04 PM

1. I would go anywhere to get to you, so why is it that all you have to do is smile to get to me?

Mark didn’t like Mikayl, not from the moment he saw him. That first moment, he may have been drooling all over himself in a booze-induced sleep, but Mark could still tell he would be troublesome. He could see trouble just as well as he could see jealousy, and just as well as he could see lovesickness.

Mikayl was all three.

It was almost funny, in a heartbreaking way, to watch how Mikayl would do anything Kailen asked, to watch how he stopped breathing when Kailen smiled.

The amusement wore off when Mark realized the same thing was happening to him.

8. I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.

Three days. That was all it took. Three days.

To give up everything he’d worked towards his whole life.

To care more about another person than about himself.

To fall in love.

It felt good.

“This isn’t going to last,” the bathroom mirror warned him every morning. “It’s all going to turn and bite you in the ass. Then you’ll regret it.”

“No it isn’t,” he said back every morning, more and more belief sinking into his words each day. “But even if it does, I’d rather have only thirty minutes of wonderful than a whole lifetime of nothing special.”

27. It's not that I want to have you. I want to deserve you.

“Let’s play a game.”

“Okay then. What game?”

“‘Tell a Truth’. It’s like ‘truth or dare’, without the dares.”

Mark snorts. “You’re crazy.”

“Yeah, yeah, but are you gonna play?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Good: tell me the one thing you want, right now, more than anything.”

“That’s easy,” Mark scoffs, “a kiss, and maybe a pizza.”

Now it’s Kailen’s turn to snort. “Never serious, are you.”

“Never.” Mark leans down to get the kiss he asked for, and wonders what would have happened if he’d said what it was he really wanted.

I want to deserve you more than Mikayl does.

30. Love is when you would willingly give up everything if it meant they would smile.

It takes him a whole month, but he finally does it.

He gives up.

He can’t do it anymore. He can’t bear to watch the upset and angry and jealous and longing looks go between them.

Kailen’s happy, but things aren’t… right.

Mark misses seeing that long, slow smile already, and he’s only been thinking about leaving for two minutes.

But that’s why I’m going, he scolds himself. He doesn’t smile like that for me, and I don’t know if he ever will. He only smiles like that for Mikayl.

He’s willing to do anything, if it’ll make Kailen smile.

7. You are everything I never knew I always wanted.

“You’re skipping out on him, aren’t you?” Mikayl sat on his bike, arms draped lazily over the steering.

Mark sighed. “I didn’t want it to be like this.”

“I know.”

“Things just suddenly got...”

“I know.”

“He’s everything I never knew I always wanted, and…”

“I know.”

“No you don’t.” Mark snapped. “He’s everything I’ve always wanted… But you deserve him more.”

Mikayl blinked in surprise, and slowly a smile dawned on his face like a sunrise. “Come on, I’ll give you a ride.

Mark shot one sad look back at the house, and got on the bike. “Thanks, man.”

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 PM

25. To fear love is to fear life.

“Fucking hell, Kailen, is it so hard to understand?” He slams his fist onto the bench, but Kailen is completely unphased. “He’s gone! He’s gone and he’s never coming back!”

“You’re an insensitive bastard, aren’t you?” Mikayl ignores the stab of guilt the statement sends through him.

“He used you.”

“Shut up.”

“He ran off when he realized he might feel something for you.”

“Shut up.”

“Is that why you’re so afraid of love?”

Shut up.”

I love you Kailen.” He leans across the bench between them and steals a kiss. “More than anything.

“Get out.” Kailen hisses.

Mikayl leaves.

50. What's meant to be will always find a way.

The first time Mikayl and Kailen find themselves in a room together since Mark’s departure, words are exchanged. Words Jess hears. So when Mikayl leaves, she enters.

Before Kailen can say a word, she slaps him, then knees him in the stomach. Doubled over and clutching at his red cheek, Jess snarls down at him. “Get over it, you selfish prick. I’m sick of your self-pity. Sure, Mikayl’s wrong as well, and he’ll get exactly what I just gave you. But, for god’s sake, get the fuck over it. Move on!”

Fate likes to find ways of making things happen.

14. Never say sorry for what you meant to do.

“I don’t know, Emma. Maybe I should just, y’know, apologise.” Mikayl sinks into the chair and sighs, rubbing his temples in frustration.

Emmanuel doesn’t open his eyes. “I wouldn’t.”

“Why not?”

“It’s never good to say ‘sorry’ for the things you meant to do. That word should be saved for when you really mean it. Besides, he’s probably avoiding you because he needs time to think things over. Apologising for that’ll just confuse him.”

“You’re so smart Emma, and I love you for it.”

“You’re never gonna stop calling me that, are you?”

“Never.”

“You’re a right bastard sometimes, Mikayl.”

26. Kiss; a lovely trick designed by nature for when words become unnecessary.

It wasn’t something he’d thought about and wasn’t something he’d had any intention of doing. But now, with Mikayl’s arms wrapped around him and with Mikayl’s fingers tangled in his hair and Mikayl’s heartbeat all he could hear clearly as he was hugged so tightly to Mikayl’s chest... It was all he could think about. So he slowly detangled himself, and sat back on his heels. Mikayl tried to say something, but Kailen shook his head. “Words,” he muttered, “aren’t necessary when you’re so obviously sorry.”

So he kissed him, and wondered why he hadn’t thought about doing this before.

23. We're so weird. That's what I like about us, actually.

Kailen shakes his head, and a smile tugs at the corners of his mouth as he leans forward again. “Words,” he mutters, “aren’t necessary when you’re so obviously sorry.”

It’s the best kiss Mikayl has ever had.

They pull apart, and Mikayl starts laughing, unable to stop. Kailen raises an eyebrow. “What’s so funny?” He asks.

“We’re so weird,” Mikayl chuckles. “Covered in blood, sweat, dirt, both in need of a long shower. Yet it’s now, of course, that we choose to resolve our goddamned issues. This is great!”

“Weird is good,” Kailen says, laughing along now. “I like weird.”

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 PM

41. Never be afraid to touch someone.

Emmanuel wished he knew what was wrong with Kailen. He’d suddenly become so awkward, unsure of himself. It was heartbreaking to watch him try and reach for Mikayl, then stop and pull away.

So he steals a move from Jess, sneaking up from behind and hugging the shorter boy. “You should never be afraid to touch someone,” he advises softly, ignoring the confused look he gets. “Not ever.”

It’s the most amazing feeling he gets, later when Kailen grabs Mikayl’s hand as they’re walking, and doesn’t let go.

He doesn’t know what’s wrong, but he knows Mikayl can fix it.

18. Someone asked me what I saw in you, and my only answer was everything.

As Mikayl runs screaming past them, Emmanuel sighs. “I don’t know what you see in him, Kai, really I don’t.”

“Hmm?” Kailen licks away at the icing covered spoon, as the sound of screaming and pounding footsteps echoes throughout the house. “What do you mean? I would’ve thought it was obvious.”

“Well, how about I ask direct. What do you see in him?”

“Everything.” Mikayl runs by them again, still screaming, this time followed by Jessica, screaming just as loudly. Kailen laughs. “Y’know Manny, I could ask you the same thing.”

Emmanuel smiles. “And you’d get the same answer; everything.”

12. Faith is believing in something when common sense tells you not to.

“You know that it isn’t going to work.” Emmanuel loops an arm around Jess’s waist and rests his head on her shoulder. “The two of them, I mean.”

“Well, that’s what faith is, isn’t it?”

“What?”

“Faith. Believing in something so completely when everything else says you shouldn’t. And I do believe in them.”

“Hnn. You can believe enough for the both of us then.”

“And you can have enough common sense for both of us.”

“Alright.”

“Great! Now I can join those two in their popcorn battle with no second thoughts!”

“Wait, Jess, don’t—!” He sighs. “Too late…”

9. You can't stay mad at someone who makes you laugh.

Mikayl is begging Kailen to accept his apology. Kailen is steadfast in his refusal.

Emmanuel watches in amusement, and wonders what stupid thing Mikayl’s done now.

“Manny,” Mikayl turns to him, whispering, pleading for advice. “How can I get him to forgive me?”

“I don’t know, “Emmanuel shrugs. “Make him laugh?”

Thirty seconds later and the two of them are having an in-depth discussion about suicide threats being made by people suffering multiple personality disorders, including whether or not it could be considered a hostage situation, and if it was suicide or murder.

Kailen never was very good with jokes.

45. A promise is all I want; a promise that you will never forget me.

He doesn’t want this to be the end. Really, he doesn’t. But it has to be, so he makes the order. “Do it.”

Kailen’s hand is shaking as he raises the pistol. He brings the other hand up to try and steady himself and takes aim. Good boy, Mikayl thinks, never forgetting your training, even in moments like this.

“Just, before you do it, promise me something.”

Kailen nods, obviously not trusting himself to speak.

“Don’t forget me.”

Kailen licks his lips and mouths the words.

I promise.

The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot, and everything goes dark.

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-06-2009, 01:16 PM

44. Tears are words the heart cannot say.

He should of said “This doesn’t have to happen.”

He should have said, “Don’t make me do this.”

He should have said, “I love you.”

But he didn’t.

He’d just pulled the trigger, like he had been ordered, because he’d do anything Mikayl ordered. And even now, with Mikayl’s head cradled in his lap and the sound of sirens off in the distance, he still can’t say anything. He cries, and sings their song under his breath because even if no one can hear him, it’s not right otherwise, and even through the rain it’s impossible to miss the tears.

16. For some moments in life, there are no words.

There are sirens in the background, moving towards them, and the sky is pouring down rain. Gradually the blood is washing away, but as Emmanuel and Jess step onto the scene, the ground is still deep red.

So is Mikayl.

So is Kailen, his whole body shaking with silent tears as he cradles Mikayl’s head in his lap.

It’s heart wrenching.

Emmanuel’s lips move but nothing comes out. He takes a step forwards, but Jess moves an arm stop him. He falls to the ground beside her, sobbing as loudly as Kailen can’t.

Somewhere, she tells herself, “Generator” is playing.

43. Sometimes someone can say something so small and meaningful that it manages to fit right into that empty space in your heart.

“Don’t say it,” she whispers, as she combs her fingers through his hair, untangling knots and threading the shampoo in, scrubbing with her fingers at the dried blood. “Please, Kai, don’t say it.”

He says it. “I’m leaving; I can’t stay here.” He twists around to face her, ignoring the painful tug of her fingers in his hair. “I miss him so much, Jess, and it’s barely been an hour.”

Tears dribble down his cheeks, and she gently licks them away. She says them, the two words that set him free, and she holds him as he cries.

“I understand.”

36. Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt.

These days, he is alright.

Nothing is perfect, but he has moved on. Even though the wounds still sting and aren’t quite healed over yet, he is still alive, and so he must keep living. He has found another lover, and a family, and a place in the world, and they go drinking every Friday and dancing every Tuesday, and even when their song comes on, he doesn’t stop, because everything is okay now. And then Wolfgang squeezes him just that little bit tighter and moves just that little bit closer, and all of a sudden everything really is okay.

40. Hello is such a simple word. But from the right person, it can mean everything.

Kailen opens his eyes and all he sees is light.

It’s bright and everything glows faintly and there is no sky or walls or ceiling or floor. There’s just light and stretching nothing. And then he knows he’s dead. “Wow,” he mutters in amazement.

“It’s kinda like that,” He whirls around, and stares, because standing there is the one person he had thought he’d never see again

“Hello.” Mikayl tilts his head to one side, familiar smile in place, and offers out his hand.

And Kailen's only coherent thought is that a simple hello had never meant so much before.