Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 05-27-2016, 12:06 PM

So as some of you may have heard, the newest run of Captain America reveals that Cap has been a Hydra agent all along.

That's right. Steve Rogers is apparently a Nazi now.

I personally think this is not ok! The original Captain America comics were released by two JEWISH writers during 1940, and they received death threats for being blatantly anti-nazi in the comic. So why on earth would the current writers decide to reject that legacy for a cheap trick.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 05-28-2016, 07:50 PM

I don't follow the comic, so I can't say I have an inkling of what the writer was going to try, but I watched a video that mentioned Steve recently got hit with some sort of Cosmic Cube that might have restructured reality. It makes sense to me, because I mean, he's clearly the WORST Hydra agent ever! You can't beat Hydra as many times as Steve has and call yourself a Hydra agent. Unless you're the Jar Jar Binks of Hydra agents. Every helpful thing you do causes your mission to fail

So anyway, I feel like they could turn that ship around, however, they've already spit all over the legacy and it's not going to be so easy to win back the trust of the fans. I mean, I get it, working with the same characters for so many decades makes it hard to do new things, but not every "epic" idea is supposed to become canon. Gotta save some material for the fanfiction

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-31-2016, 04:03 PM

I gotta agree it's pretty ridiculous but I don't follow the comics all that much to know context.

Really though, no matter how big a plot twist, making the main character essentially evil is going to infuriate all of his fans.

WindySummer

Old 06-11-2016, 09:32 PM

I don't follow the comics either but I heard about this and it makes me so mad! It's really disrespectful of the character and the creators too, who as Bearzy said, were both Jewish. As I understand it, Captain America was created in the 1940s as kind of a personification of American values, and was meant to kind of act as a beacon of hope. That's why the cover of the first comic book featuring him literally has him literally punching Hitler in the face. It was a difficult time for your average American, the war had such a huge impact on people's lifestyles with so many necessities being rationed, so Cap was meant to be a patriotic pick me up. So having him, the literal personification of American values, be the in-universe equivalent of a Nazi not only doesn't make sense, it goes against the very core of his character.

Also does he not wield the mjolnir at one point or another? You know, the weapon that will only be wielded by people who are pure at heart and worthy of it? Thought to be fair that might be another universe, I don't keep track of the comics at all so I have no idea if that's even true or not hahaha

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 PM

I have heard the same thing about him holding it, but then I've also heard of iron man and hulk picking it up too.

midgetGoddess
Wandering Wrackspurt

Old 06-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Frankly? I'm holding out on this plotline. There's got to be some explanation behind it because it just doesn't fit Cap at all. My guess is there's something else going on that we just haven't seen yet. After all...it got everyone's attention. There must be some kind of logic behind the decision.

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:17 AM

I don't read the comics, but I did hear about this and it appalls me.

HarleyQuinn2016
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM

That is appallingly disgusting the writers should keep to the original not mess it up.