MusicEmo
Kira

Old 10-27-2016, 02:17 AM

I want to know if I'm the only one that is like this.

Because I faced so much bullying as a child that was thinly veiled as criticism, as an adult I can't take criticism well. It feels like a personal attack, because for so many years it WAS a personal attack.

As you can imagine as an artist I get a lot "well part of art IS criticisms, so if you don't like it, don't draw!!" I even had a substitute art teacher in high school that spend nearly ten minutes lecturing me on how "the point of art is criticism! That's why artists make art! TO BE CRITICIZED!" after I said that I didn't appreciate her yelling across the room to tell me that a picture I spent two weeks on looked "unfinished" because it wasn't colored.

I had re-drawn the movie cover/poster of Silence of the Lambs in graphite and colored pencil. It's a mostly black-n-white picture and she didn't like that. My actual art teacher came in moments after and I asked them their opinion. They said it looked perfect, and it was probably one the best recreations in the class; plus SotLs was one of their favorite movies. The sub was pissed, and if she wasn't afraid of the actual teacher she probably would have yelled at them too.

Like my art is an extension of myself that I draw to either illustrate an idea I have, or character, or show my emotions.. nothing that really needs to be criticized in my opinion, without the original artist asking for it.

I honestly consider unwelcome criticism one of the rudest things someone can do to an artist.

Am I the only one that feels like this?

I also would prefer NOT getting a bunch of messages about "well, if you DON'T like criticism just never show anyone your art!" because honestly that rhetoric is used so much it's disgusting.

Nivvy
(っ◔◡◔)&...

Old 10-27-2016, 04:06 AM

Yes, I feel the same way. To this day, I'm hurt by a lot of criticism from art school. But I held my head high, during art school. Got what I needed, and moved on to more positive pastures. Art is self. It's understandable, why we're all very protective of it, and rightfully so. I'd never want to tear somebody down about their art, because it comes from somewhere very deep, and personal.

There are a lot of things I'm hurt by these days, so I share my stuff on instagram, and delete the negativity. Thankfully, there's been very little of it (I think one negative comment to date). It's nice being able to control, what remains displayed. Unlike art school, where you can't erase the comments said to you.

Years ago, I shared a few images on someone's request thread. They said they didn't like my stuff, and put an emote that just struck me as plain rude. A simple no thank you, would have sufficed. To this day, I don't post in request threads anymore...

MusicEmo
Kira

Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivvy View Post
Yes, I feel the same way. To this day, I'm hurt by a lot of criticism from art school. But I held my head high, during art school. Got what I needed, and moved on to more positive pastures. Art is self. It's understandable, why we're all very protective of it, and rightfully so. I'd never want to tear somebody down about their art, because it comes from somewhere very deep, and personal.

There are a lot of things I'm hurt by these days, so I share my stuff on instagram, and delete the negativity. Thankfully, there's been very little of it (I think one negative comment to date). It's nice being able to control, what remains displayed. Unlike art school, where you can't erase the comments said to you.

Years ago, I shared a few images on someone's request thread. They said they didn't like my stuff, and put an emote that just struck me as plain rude. A simple no thank you, would have sufficed. To this day, I don't post in request threads anymore...
I know how that feels. I've had people ask me personally (usually on Tumblr or dA) if I know any artists that take cheap commissions, and when I say that I do, they always ignore me or basically say my art isn't good enough for money. It's incredible rude.

I know on deviantART (dA) I don't post there anymore, because I would get 0 favorites or comments, and when I did they were negative, but over a hundred of downloads. When I pointed out that wasn't cool, people called me "manipulative" for "guilt tripping people" because "People have the right to not like your art!" And it's like, I know that, but if they like my art enough to download it, don't you think they should favorite it at least?

potatobae

Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 AM

I think it depends on what you want to get out of your art. Let me offer you a perspective from the pro-criticism camp:
When it comes to my art, I draw not just for myself, but for others as well. I draw because I want them to feel the emotions I'm trying to get across in my pictures while still offering something that is visually stimulating and aesthetically pleasing. In order to know that I'm achieving my goal, I need feedback. I need to know what they are feeling when they are looking at something, if they don't feel what I want them to feel, I need to evaluate what I did and how I can improve.
Also I'm a very technical person and take a technical approach to drawing. There's a method to my drawing and I try to make every decision deliberate. Sometimes the technique I use fails to convey what I want it to. I usually critique myself first (very harshly) and it never sees the light of day. I only post the stuff that I think may accomplish what I want it to.
Even though I welcome criticism it still hurts because I put so much time and energy into it. But to me it's valuable and important to my development as an artist. As a side note- when I say criticism, I don't mean someone just telling me whats wrong, but also how I can improve so that I can better achieve what I want with my art.
Also, I feel the worse thing that can happen as an artist is to be completely ignored :/ At least with (constructive) criticism someone cared enough to give you feedback.

TelstelNSG1
=^.^=

Old 11-02-2016, 02:53 PM

Hm, everyone thinks that they are an art critique, what people have forgotten is that art is interpreted by the person viewing it and each person will react differently to the same art piece.

With social media and online art communities like dA, people think it's ok to give harsh criticism because it's online and they can be anonymous about it.

I try to not be like that, if i see something in a piece that irks me (and it's few and far inbetween) i would let the artist know what the problem is, see if they can adjust it without restarting from scratch and give positive feedback and that they should keep that piece as a way of how you have progressed as an artist.

I know what it's like and i don't want other artists to go through that bs that i have been through and no doubt others as well.