Ember Mist
"an individual with an inordinat...
Send a message via MSN to Ember Mist

Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM

I have written you a story!
Username: Ember Mist
Preferred Participation Prize: Orange Goodie bag.
Title: Untitled.
Submission:

SPOILERX

I and my two friends Emilee and David were walking around trick-or-treating and there was this one house that no one was going to but there was this old guy sitting on the porch in a wheelchair watching all the kids. The house looked scary, almost as if it would crash into its self with in a moment’s notice. So of course being adventurous we walked up to the house and said the normal. "Trick or treat."He smiled and handed us three small paper sacks, all that he seemed to have and then we turned and left. So we headed back to David’s and me and Emilee jumped on his bed and poured out our candy as David made food. Emilee and I were giggling and messing around with the candy eyes we had gotten but we, mostly I, kept glancing at the small paper sacks. Sighing I jumped up and grabbed it just as David walked in with three bowls of Chili. "What is in there?" He asked sitting in his computer chair and watching me.

"I'm not sure.. Let's find out." I said grinning and tearing the staples out. I brushed a few strands of hair out of my face and poured the bag upside down. A few folded pieces of paper fluttered to the bed along with a 50 dollar bill. "W..what does the letter say?" Emilee asked leaning forward, her cape from her costume making an soft rustling noise in the now silent room. I shrugged and picked up the letter. I read it once to myself and almost cried at what it said:

Dear Trick-or-treater.

Every year I wait for someone to come up that drive way to this house. I've been waiting for almost 20 years. I don't have candy for you, just this money that i have no use for and a story to tell.

My name was Robert E. Marshal. I was 40 when I died of cardiac arrest. My wife Loraine had died almost ten days before. I felt empty after she left me and stopped taking care of me. We never had children, it wasn't possible for us. But we were happy just the two of us.

Halloween was her favorite time of the year. She loved seeing all the children dressed up and asking for Candy. She would smile so wide each time the door bell rang on that night each year. It still brings tears to my eyes to think about it.

Halloween eventually killed her. I had to go away on a business trip one year and foolishly left her for once. She had begged me to let her stay to pass out candy. I agreed and left that morning, expecting to be home the next morning to cuddle with her before sleeping.

I arrived at 5am the next morning. I noticed right away something was horribly wrong. The back door was wide open and there was a smell to the house that made my stomach churn. As I made my way up the stairs to our room. The room where all our love had been made. Where we had tried time and time again to have children I was instantly filled with a fear that I had lost my wife.

My fear was confirmed as I pushed open the door and fell to my knees. There was my wife. My beautiful wife... Tossed on the bed, naked.. strangled.. no longer living. I don't think I moved from that spot for three hours. I was rooted in horror. It hit me. My life I had built so hard to make, the wife I had spent to long to make happy... all if it was over.. It didn't matter any more.

Almost Zombie like I called the police, filled out the forms, played the part of grieving husband, while inside I was empty. Inside I didn't care any more. As the days past I laid in bed watching the leaves falling in the window. Then it happened.

It was 2 maybe 3 in the morning on November 10th. I was still awake, looking at old photo's of me and my wife when I saw her. Almost like a dream or a vision she appeared to me at the foot of the bed. "Run Jack, Leave." She said, her angelic voice seemed to be coming from everywhere. "Loraine?" I asked sitting up and looking at her. "Jack.. Go.. Run.." She said again, then vanished.

I sat stunned. Was i going crazy? Did I really just see the spirit of my dead wife? Shaking my head and I got up and headed down stairs to get a drink. There was a knock on the door and I jumped high in the air. I hadn't had a guest over in almost a month it felt. Shaking still from the scare I opened the front door and stood confused at my neighbor before me.

Before I could say a word I felt something wrap around my arm and he grabbed me and pulled me inside slamming the door behind us. He chuckled as he pulled a knife out of his pocket and began to slash at me. I tried to stop him, but only received a few slashes on the arm and hand.

I felt the cold metal on my neck and closed my eyes. My angel was crying as she watched me die. But I was smiling I'd be with her soon right?

"Wow...... is this for real?" David asked grabbing the letter from me. "Yes it's real. David give it back!" Emilee said looking up from the pillow she was cuddling. I sighed and snatched it from him. "Now.. where was I?" I asked skimming the letter. I found my spot in the letter and hushed my friends as I began to continue the story:

I was wrong. So wrong. As this man sat on me slashing away what was left of my body, I felt as if I were hovering over it. Watching what was happening as if I were watching a movie. Everything felt fake, everything felt empty. As my body closed it's eyes for the last time I hovered above it crying.

The police arrived the next morning after the milk delivery person noticed my body. I was charted out of the house and the neighbors were questioned. I watched angrily as the man who killed me played cool talking to the police as his daughter stood beside him.

Weeks went by and slowly turned into months which trickled into years. I had been dead for two years before he moved away. I was trapped in this house as if there were saran wrap around every exit. No matter how hard I tried I could never get past the front porch. I had no idea why I was still here. Do I need to be saved still? Must I find that man before I can rest peacefully?

I wandered the house alone for years before they demolished it. But it stayed to me. To me it never went away. Each year, on the day of my wifes death; Halloween. I sit on the front porch of my house waiting for someone to come and see me. I just want someone to hear my story so I can rest. I feel weary. I want to see my wife again.

I don't know what you will do with this story... You can take it to the police. You can keep it to yourself... but just writing this down has made me feel more ready. Ready to go. The outside of the house shines brightly with a possible way home. Home. I can't wait to go home.

Thank you for reading this. Please take this small token of apprication. This money. 50 dollars for three kids. That's how many kids Loraine had always wanted. Spend it on anything you want.

-Jack E. Marshal. Dead 1988.

I wiped my eyes and looked up again. "Holy crap... I..I..I don't get it... If this guy wrote it... wouldn't he be dead?" Emilee asked shaking her head and grabbing the letter. David jumped up and opened the other two bags and skimmed the letters. "It's all the same in both bags...." He said holding up two 50 dollar bills. I bit my lip and jumped up, my horns shining the light and grabbed my sweater.

"Where are you going?" Emilee asked watching me. "I'm going to talk to this guy." I said opening the door and heading into the night. Emilee and David jumped up and ran after me, locking the front door behind us. Together the three of us headed back through town to the place where we remembered seeing the house.

I stopped at the empty lot and opened my eyes wide as a gust of wind blew my hair across my face. pushing it back behind my ear I shook my head. "No way... No way in hell..." I muttered seeing the empty lot with nothing but a broken old wheelchair sitting in the middle of the weeds and trash.

Slowly we walked into the lot and up to the wheel chair. David shined his flash light on it and Emilee pointed to a name on it. "Look." She said wiping dirt off a name on the arm. I knelt down and grabbed Davids flash light and gasped at the name.

ROBERT E. MARSHAL.

Final notes: I couldn't really think of better ending. xD But this is what I came up with after trick or treating last night.

Last edited by Ember Mist; 11-01-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM

fishyfey, Clair Voyant, CADFND, :
I have added your specifications, thank you.

Snowflower:
Please do not touch my hair...
Yes, entries must be turned in by the event's end.

Esmme, MintyRey, musasgal, say-i-love-you, Arechi, Ember Mist:
Thank you for your submissions, I look forward to reading them...
And Arechi, your submission is precisely 2,000 words. I applaud your precision. And it fine that it is based on true events.

Ember Mist

Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 PM

Your welcome.^^
Any chance of getting your hair in the shops?

Arechi
Yeah, how does it feel to get a ...

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Lol yay! And thank you, I tried to type as much as I could in the story while keeping it at the limit. :D

Last edited by Arechi; 11-01-2010 at 11:09 PM..

musasgal
The ever changing Fairy of Mene ...
Penpal

Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
fishyfey, Clair Voyant, CADFND, :
I have added your specifications, thank you.

Snowflower:
Please do not touch my hair...
Yes, entries must be turned in by the event's end.

Esmme, MintyRey, musasgal, say-i-love-you, Arechi, Ember Mist:
Thank you for your submissions, I look forward to reading them...
And Arechi, your submission is precisely 2,000 words. I applaud your precision. And it fine that it is based on true events.
It's ok....I just hope it's not lame.....

Arechi
Yeah, how does it feel to get a ...

Old 11-01-2010, 11:47 PM

I didn't think yours was lame. :D

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 AM

Ember Mist:
I will not be scalped and sold, if that is what you are asking. *chuckles*

Arechi:
I cannot help but be curious... Did you cut your original draft down to fit the constraints, or did it come up as 2,000 by sheer coincidence?

musasgal:
If you have put your best into it, I am sure it will be enjoyable... That being said, if you would like to edit it, you may. Simply edit your original submission post and notify me and I will update it on the front page.
I do not read the submissions until I am ready to do my judging, so I cannot provide any feedback at this point.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 AM

I have a good idea for a story. Just need to get started writing it. I wanted to enter the last writing contest but I had a bad case of writer's block. Such an evil thing.

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 AM

*retracts fingers* Sorry...:oops: It's just so..curly! OwO

Harley Q
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 AM

Is swearing permitted? I don't mean as every other word, but is the occasional curse word acceptable?

Ember Mist

Old 11-02-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Ember Mist:
I will not be scalped and sold, if that is what you are asking. *chuckles*
Not at all..
*Hides Scalping tools*

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 AM

So excited!!!!

*Gets cracking on writing a story*

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Username: Lilith W
Preferred Participation Prize: random
Title: Candy
Submission:

SPOILERX

A young woman leaned against a tree waiting. She had long blue hair and bright blue make-up. She wore thigh high black boots, blue tights, a black short skirt, a blue tank top, a black jacket, and giant black butterfly wings with blue dots. At any other time she would have looked weird and out of place but on this day she fit in. It was the great day of Halloween.
She straightened up as a little girl walked up to her. She was dressed as a pink flower.
"Where's Billy? We have to hurry up or we'll miss all the good candy," the butterfly asked the flower.
"He's coming. Mom had some trouble with his costume. Just cool your tights Izzy," the flower told the butterfly.
"Hey, it is sister not Izzy. And it looks like he is here," a boy dressed as a flyswatter walks up, "good you could join us Billy. Megg, Billy remember not to run off. Let’s go." Izzy straightened her hair then turned to walk down the block. The kids ran to get in front of her. They went to several houses grabbing candy and screaming "Trick or Treat". They had walked several blocks when they came upon the house that no one ever went to. It was said to be haunted but Izzy didn't really believe that. She had snuck in the year before only to find it empty and boring. But a few weeks prior to Halloween someone had moved in. Of course the story had been that he must be a vampire because not only had he moved in at night he had also never been seen out. Izzy started walking up to the house.
“We can’t go in there Iz,” Billy told his sister.
“Hey it is Halloween. There are lights on. That means I get candy. I don’t care if the person giving it to me is an undead vampire or even if he is a zombie and only cares about brains. I will get candy. And don’t call me Iz.” She kept walking up to the house. When she reached the door she waited for the kids to catch up then knocked on the door.
The door slowly swung open. Izzy called inside. “Anyone here? Trick or Treat?”
“Please come in. Walk down the hall. I will be there in a second,” a voice said from inside the house.
Izzy looked at Meg and Billy before stepping inside. “Don’t worry. I’m much scarier than any ghost or demon.”
They walked inside. Izzy walked down the hall followed by the kids. It seemed that the hallway was extremely long. Suddenly the lights went off. There were no windows and they could see nothing. Izzy pulled the kids behind her against the wall. She pressed them back into the wall and placed herself in-between them and the world. Izzy felt something wrap around her arm. Without thinking she grabbed what was attached to her arm and yanked it off then dropped it. She swung her arm back then punched forward. She hit something before she heard a loud “hump” then heard something land hard on the floor. Suddenly the lights came back on. Lying on the floor was a young man rubbing his cheek.
“Geez, why’d you do that? I was just trying to guide you to the kitchen.”
“Why’d the lights go off?” Izzy had didn’t drop her fighting stanch or back away from the wall.
“It’s an old house. I’ve been trying to fix it but it is taking time. What did you think? That I planned on killing you guys and eating your eyes?” He slowly stood up.
“I’m sorry. Too many horror movies. Come on guys.”
Izzy followed the man into the kitchen. He handed out candy and apologized. Izzy apologized before passing her number to him. “Call me if you decided you need some help or company.” She winked at him before grabbing the kids and running down the hall and out of the house.
They finished Trick or Treating then walked home. A couple days later Izzy got a phone call from the spooky vampire.

Final notes: just randomness lol

Winged One
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM

Username: Winged One
Preferred Participation Prize: Orange
Title: REAP
Submission:

SPOILERX

[00/23bh76//:;ttLMAT]::://RECORDED MESSAGE FROM: HARVESTER SURVEY SHIP: D-MAST CLASS: Mountain’s Summit – CAPTAIN: [[///ERROR TYPE 39: CORRECT ENCRYPTION CODE MUST BE SUBMITTED TO VIEW NAME\\\]]

General [[///REDACTED\\\]],

Operation Sow is turning into all we could ask for.

When we finally branched out from our crowded homeworld to colonize and develop new planets several millennia ago, we of course needed a substantial source of food to sustain our ever-growing population. This is why we enacted Operation Sow. This is why we designated select planets as Farms.

We grew food on these planets so we, as a species, would not starve.

And now, after all this time, the planet my fleet has been surveying, [[///REDACTED: IMPROPER SECURITY CODE\\\]], has reached the saturation point. This planet, designated as a Flora Fauna Farm, has been difficult to study because of a top predator forming and nearly eradicating all other animal life, so the saturation point was always neared, but never reached. However, this predator alone has now brought the Farm to saturation levels. Flora levels, while paling in comparison to fauna levels created by this predator, are likewise optimal.

Because of this unforeseen predator, there is obviously a lack of selection from this Farm for Reaping. We, my fleet, tried and tried again to intervene and keep their numbers low so variety could be preserved. However, every time an attempt to cut their numbers was made, the predator “knew” of our intervention. They felt something wrap around their arm, their hunting arm, and they quickly shook off the burden. With ease, I might add.

This species has achieved technological tier 4, an unprecedented technological level for Farm grown fauna. They may have indeed reached sentience, which raises ethical and moral questions on whether we should Reap the species and slaughter them for sustenance. However, they were indeed grown in culture as a food source, and are therefore ultimately fair for us to hunt.

I respectfully propose the following course of action:

1. C.U.R.S.E. (Carbon-Urea Ray for Sentience Elimination): Using C.U.R.S.E. on the planet may be necessary, if only to quell animal rights protestors. The C.U.R.S.E. effectively eliminates sentient thought upon contact with the species it has been tailored for (in this case, the main species which developed on this Farm). Reaping the biological entities on the Farm will therefore be more humane. The C.U.R.S.E. will also physically weaken the species. Seeing as they are the top predator on the Farm, this will be a very important factor to ensure our own safety when we start the Reaping.
2. Orbital Bombardment and Planet-Wide Weather Alteration: The species present on the Farm should be herded into small crowded areas in order to facilitate our ends. Orbital bombardment with Class 7 Vulcan MACs and weather pattern alteration should be enough to coerce the species to do just this.
3. Disease Testing: We must assure the safety of the meat and produce before we circulate it to our planets and colonies. Therefore, I strongly suggest we test samples from the flora and fauna for known diseases, as well as quality.
4. Ma$s Reaping: The Reaping process sh0uld be carri3d out from both po!es. P0sit1on b0th R3@p3r $@t3!!1t3s @t 31th3r %@#$ kopkdkkkkk [[///WARNING: CRITICAL MESSAGE CORRUPTION DETECTED\\\]]
[[///ATTEMPTING MESSAGE RESTORE…………………….........FAILED\\\]]
[[///CONTINUING MESSAGE FROM NEXT STABLE POINT\\\]]
which should leave only 10% of the original flora and fauna on the planet.
5. Exportation: Meat and produce retrieved from Reaping should be distributed via interstellar transport to individual planet redistribution organizations.
6. Hunting: Fence in animals present on Farm to restrict them to specific areas of land. Open the planet to the general public for recreational hunting.

The above process should be commenced as soon as possible.

FARM NAME: [[///REDACTED\\\]]
FARM DESIGNATION: FLORA AND FAUNA
CORE FLORA: NO DOMINANT FLORA
CORE FAUNA: HOMOSAPIEN (COLLOQUIALLY “HUMAN”)

Final notes: None, it is what it is.

Last edited by Winged One; 11-02-2010 at 06:02 PM..

musasgal
Penpal

Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:

musasgal:
If you have put your best into it, I am sure it will be enjoyable... That being said, if you would like to edit it, you may. Simply edit your original submission post and notify me and I will update it on the front page.
I do not read the submissions until I am ready to do my judging, so I cannot provide any feedback at this point.
Thanks, and I did edit the end part and final notes....

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Lise: Can I ask if I was to "flesh" out a description I used for Hammy's art contest, would that be considered recycling? I was hoping to turn the small description into a story for this contest. If I'm not allowed, then I do have another story idea.

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm going to try this. I'm kinda nervous about it though... I haven't written a story in a long time.

Jeryck
NPC
NPC

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

It's good to see you taking this up again, Lise.

*tips his hat and wanders out again*

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Jeryck, It's very nice of you to visit!

musasgal
Penpal

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Yep, it is.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 AM

What is the deadline for the story to be submitted? Being the High King of Creepiness in briannamal's Creeper Kingdom, I do think it is actuallly a responsibility to share some fiction of the macabre sort.

Casiana
Word to your Grandmother
Send a message via MSN to Casiana Send a message via Yahoo to Casiana

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 AM

I'm having a hard time staying focused ><

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 AM

Snowflower:
I should hope it is... This takes quite a bit of work.

Harley Q:
Yes, that will be fine.

Ember Mist:
Somehow I do not feel reassured...

Winged One, Lilith W:
Thank you for your submissions, I have added them.

Liztress:
I will permit that, yes.

Fauxreal:
Feel at ease, you ample time to write and edit it before submitting.

Jeryck:
Thank you. I hope some of my participants may produce some literature up to your caliber... *smiles darkly*

The_Crow:
You have until the end of the event. The date for that is specified in the Event FAQ.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 AM

Thank you kindly, Lise. I look forward to writing this story for you. How has the candy giving been? Have you been able to get some candy for yourself?

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM

Casiana:
Perhaps you should attempt walking away from it for a day or so and letting your mind begin idling and working on it for you... That does not always work, but it does occasionally.

Liztress:
It has been quite busy work and I have more candy than I think I should ever desire to consume...