Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Look! I'm doing a thing!

Let's see how long this lasts.

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-07-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2016, 11:17 PM

January Prompts

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 PM

(>^_^)>~~FRIDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Last Year Resolutions

Now here's a simple one... I didn't have any resolutions last year!
For myself, I really don't believe in making resolutions. I've always thought (Yes, even when I was a baby, spinning in my crib.) that New Year's resolutions were kind of a grown up version of 'let's see how long I can hold my breath'. -- They feel more like a game than something that's to be taken seriously.
You can't let the time of year dictate these kind of things. Sure, it can be a good motivator, but you have to be ready to change your life, and only you can decided when that time is.

Now, if you'd kindly proceed to the lobby, you can pick up my new self-help book, "Get Confident, Stupid!"
And be sure to pick up your Howdy t-shirts, coffee mugs and full length body pillows.

I liked seeing this Petco Commerical over the holidays. I hope they replay it next Christmas.

Music of the Day
Startin' off the year with Tori Amos, because I loves me some Tori.
She's my all time favorite singer.

Tori Amos ~ Liquid Diamonds

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-12-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2016, 11:56 PM

(>^_^)>~~SATURDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Resolutions

As I said above, I really don't believe in making New Year Resolutions. But of course there are things that need to be taken care of. Work on my motivation. Lose weight. Get all those bodies buried.
They really do tend to pile up.

Today was my mom's birthday. She was sick and kinda grumpy. So I wanted to kick 'er, but ultimately understood she wasn't in the best spirits. Though she eventually lightened up.

My plan was to make her a nice medium rare t-bone steak, and enchiladas for myself, my step-dad, grandfather and sister. But when my aunt, uncles and cousin found out what I was cookin', they wanted in on the grub. So I ended up making three dozen enchiladas, which was more work then I expected.

The family pitched in and got m' mom a new laptop.
Fancy fancy.

Man, I wish I had a new comp.

Music of the Day
I heard this on an episode of Teen Titans Go! and couldn't get it out of my head. So I bought it off iTunes.

B.E.R. ~ The Night Begins to Shine

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-12-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 AM

(>^_^)>~~SUNDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Ice Sculptures

There's this commercial for Flaming Hot Cheetos from some years back. I looked it up and it dates from the 90s. So that's more years then I thought. :P

The point is, whenever I think of ice sculptures, I think of this commercial. Watch...

Now this always kinda pissed me off. Art is subjective. What one person may consider art, another may not. But the ability to craft a fifty foot penguin out of ice it is pretty artsy to me. But then you have all these buttwads standin' around, talkin' smack. It's like, "Muthafucka, i'd like to see what you can make out of ice!... Ice cubes? Yeah, that's what I thought!" *snap snap and head shake*

Today we took down our Christmas tree and showed it to the curb.
Goodbye, old soldier. You served us well.

It took a few days to get the sap off my skin.

Music of the Day
Lunachicks ~ Fingerful

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-12-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2016, 05:55 AM

(>^_^)>~~MONDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
In My Kitchen

In my kitchen are pictures of various things. An example is:

You'll notice these carrots have googly eyes. That's something I like to do... put googly eyes on things. If I go to your house, and I have googly eyes... I will put them on your things.

My sister and I saw the Iron Giant for the first time the other day. It wasn't what I expected it to be, though honestly i'm not sure what I expected. But it was pretty good. My sister said it's something she feels like she have grown up with, but i'm ancient, so that was neither here nor there.

Music of the Day
Something nice to listen to in the dark.

The Cure ~ A Forest (Tree Mix)

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 PM

(>^_^)>~~TUESDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
My Yard

We have a pretty good sized front and back yard. But I live in the city, and I think a lot of people would consider them small. But they're fine. Definitely bigger than something you would find in a super dense city.

In the back we have an old rabbit, made of stone. I like rabbits.

A lot of times if you lift him up, there's a bunch of earthworms underneath. But I guess they were shy today.

So today was my birthday.

Didn't really do much. My mom makes really good pizza, so I asked if she would make some. It was a white sauce pizza with sausage, chicken, olives and roasted red bell pepper. She was still sick, so I offered to make the chicken wings. Three kinds: Buffalo, Barbecue and Teriyaki.
Then we had cake. White with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting.

Music of the Day
Nick Drake ~ At the Chime of a City Clock

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2016, 12:53 AM

(>^_^)>~~WEDNESDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
To My Left?

To my left is my bed. And on my bed is one of my cats, Binky.

She spends most of the day on my bed. I like it when she sits like people.

I made chicken soup today. Boiled a chicken, separated the fat and shredded the meat. Boiled some cabbage, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes and green onion in the broth, then added the bawk bawk. I don't really care for zucchini, so I had ate leftover pizza.

Music of the Day
Nirvana ~ In Bloom

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 AM

(>^_^)>~~THURSDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
To My Right?

To my right is an Artemis beanie that my cousin gave me for Christmas. One can scoff at the idea of a grown man walkin' around with this on, but I don't care.

With all this talk of Fallout 4, it's made me want to try playing Fallout 3, cause I never did. Seven years late to the party, I realize. But meh.

It's fun so far.
I was near a metro station and this lady ran up to me and said, "Help, they strapped a bomb to me. You have to disarm it before it can explode." I paraphrase, but otherwise I was down. But then she started to run off and i'm like, "Hold up, lady! I can't disarm nothin' if you keep runnin'!" ... And then she exploded.

Music of the Day
PJ Harvey ~ Kamikaze

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-12-2016 at 10:08 AM..

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 AM

Ooooh, your menemory jar is so well put-together! I love that you're doing a song of the day too... might just steal that...

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Muchos arigatou. ;D

Please, steal. Steal! I welcome it!

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-10-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2016, 11:02 AM

(>^_^)>~~FRIDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Chores

You do things as they need to be done, y'know. But my two constant chore are making dinner and washing dishes. Sometimes I enjoy makin' dinner and other times it's a right pain in the ass. Meal wise, I would like to branch out and try to concoct different things, buy my family aren't big on experiments.

Cooking and cleaning can be mind numbing sometimes, so thank baby Jebus for my IPod. If i'm in the kitchen, ninety percent of the time i'll have my headphones on, listening to podcasts. I love podcasts.

On the topic of podcasts, I think my favorite has to be...

I initially found this podcast when I was looking for interviews with Maria Bamford, and from there I listened to the interview with Todd Glass, and overall I was intrigued. For the last six months or so i've been steadily working through all past episodes, and getting a lot out of them. It's good to hear people's stories and know that pretty much everyone shares the same core fears and anxieties and what not. Paul Gilmartin is such a great guy.

Music of the Day
The Sword ~ To Take the Black

Fan Fact: I've had this album for years, and it was only after I started watching Game of Thrones did I realize this song is about the Night's Watch, written in reference to A Song of Ice and Fire before the show came out.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 AM

(>^_^)>~~SATURDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
My Last Vacation

Uh... I don't even know. Vacations cost money and I be poor.

I did have an outing today, though.

Last Tuesday was my birthday, but my sister took me out today to celebrate, it being the weekend. ;D So we went to Japan Town and to my favorite Japanese restaurant.

I'm pretty much a creature of habit, so I usually get the same thing. But it's so good. We had miso soup and agedashi for starters. Then I got the bento box with tempura, tonkatsu, rice, a salad and chicken teriyaki.

They've had these menus around for a long time, but with the new Star Wars movie coming they're even more timely.

I'm not big on seafood, and they're kinda pricey. So I don't partake. ... I didn't take very good pictures. :P

Afterward my sister wanted to walk around and take pictures of artsy stuff, so I decided to take some too. Here are a couple of... electrical boxes?... painted all fancy like. They're city commissioned, so you'll find 'em around town.

And here's a cool mural painted on the side of a shop that sells traditional Japanese goods.

Afterward we bought goodies from a Japanese market and then she bought me a nutella crepe. So it was a good day.

Music of the Day
Sharam Q ~ COCORO

Continuing with the theme... Many years ago, I was on a Japanese music kick and I really liked this band. Then some months ago I found these CDs, listened to them again, and found I still liked 'em.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the lead singer of this band. His name is Tsunku and turns out that last April, I believe, he had been battling laryngeal cancer and decided to have his vocal cords removed. So now he can't speak or sing, but it saved his life. Sad.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 AM

*peeks into Howdy's jar* Those Star Wars themed sushi look scrumptious!! :) I also love that you have music of the day and lots of pictures spread throughout! :) And a belated happy birthday to you!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Thank you, on both counts. ;D

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-12-2016, 09:54 AM

(>^_^)>~~SUNDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Travel

Like stated for the previous prompt, I really don't have the funds to go anywhere. And truthfully, I think I prefer just bein home. I'mma homebody.

That may just be from my lack of experience. I haven't been many places, so I really don't know how good it can be. But some people just have a natural yen to want to travel, and I just enjoy my comforts.

I made some coconut macaroons today.

The recipe said it would make three dozens, but them recipes are always liars. And I don't think I made them bigger than they should have been. They're good though.

I had some leftover egg yolks, so I also made a lemon curd.
[image unavailable]

Music of the Day
The Stills ~ Snow in California

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-12-2016 at 10:07 AM..

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 AM

Those coconut macaroons look scrumptious!!! (I also just went and looked up the difference between macarons and macaroons just now.) Do you identify as a foodie, by any chance? (Seems like every time I peer into your jar, there's another delicious food pic! :)

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 PM

Hmm, no. I don't think I would call myself a foodie.

I could be more adventurous with food. I tend to stick with things I like. Also I don't think i'm finicky enough to be a foodie.

But I do like to try to make new things, if I have the ingredients. Plus, I do most of cooking in my house.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 PM

(>^_^)>~~MONDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
The Future Of

When I was a kid and I would watch the old Looney Tune and MGM shorts, some of my very favorites were the 'home of the future' type of cartoons. Just something about them I loved.

Here are four of them on Vimeo. From Tex Avery, so you know they're good. ;D

I also like the real ones. The short informational films from the 40s, 50s and 60s, that showcase the projected technology of the future and how it'll make our lives so much simpler. It fascinates me what some people thought the future would look like. Because these films, they were filled with all these advancements, yet they still held onto the same social structures. Like... let's see what the world will be like in the year 2000! And men are still sitting in their lounge chairs, with newspaper and pipes. And women haven't left the kitchen. They still breeze about in heels and pearls, while a robot chops their carrots. It's goofy. Plus, it just amuses me to no end that this is supposed to be wave of the future stuff, yet it always still looks old fashioned. .... Ugh, I want to watch some now. :P

One of my very favorite shows, and a program that definitely shaped my humor when I was growing up, is Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Here are two MST3k Shorts with future themes.

Music of the Day
The Phenomenauts ~ I Am Robot

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 PM

(>^_^)>~~TUESDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
My New Jam

Uh... I really don't have a new 'jam', if you would. And I think I should look into discovering new music, which is something I haven't done in a while. Maybe fire up my neglected Pandora account.

I have been meaning to pick up the latest Florence + the Machine album. I wanted to buy it at Target, cause of the two exclusive songs, but i've been to two of the store and they didn't have it. I hate store exclusive songs. Just have one standard album and let me buy it.

I'm sure every one of the absolutely no one reading this is saying, "Why not just buy it off iTunes?" And the answer... I'm old and I love CDs. I love 'em so much.

I enjoy the feeling of holding and having the actual CD, admiring any artwork and reading lyrics from a physical booklet, which is lacking from digital music.

I'm a fossil. I don't care.

Music of the Day
Florence + the Machine ~ No Light, No Light

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-15-2016 at 10:35 PM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 PM

(>^_^)>~~WEDNESDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Mmm Jam

Mmm, jam. Jam are tasty. Jelly is good, but jam is better. Preserves are pretty good too. It's nice to have actual bits of fruit. Not sure what my favorite flavor would be, probably strawberry. Any kind of berry flavor is good.

One time my cousin's mother-in-law gave her a whole bunch of homemade jam, and my cousin, in turn, gave some to us... and it was pretty freakin' good. There was strawberry and blackberry. But the best, in my opinion, was the olallieberry. Not something I had heard of previously. Here's what they looks like:

Wikipedia says that olallieberries are a cross between loganberries and youngberries. Which themselves are crosses between blackberry, and raspberry and dewberry, respectively. ... So that's a lot of cross breeding.

Jam is, as everyone knows, good with peanut butter. I was late to the party, where peanut butter is concerned. Liked it in candy when I was a kid, but not the real thing. And then tried it again years later and quite enjoyed the stuff. The same with nuts, in general. Didn't use to be my thing, but they's tasteh now. Especially cashews.

Not the most scintillating of information, but on topic.

Music of the Day
Pixies ~ Monkey Gone to Heaven

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 AM

That's very cool! I have never heard of the olallieberry before, but they look almost exactly like blackberries! How similar is the taste?

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-19-2016, 02:21 AM

I kinda don't remember.

I haven't tried the actual berry, just the jam. But I do recall that it was super good. ;D

*is falling behind on this*

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-19-2016 at 02:27 AM..

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-19-2016, 02:30 AM

i'm fallin behind too, oof. x_x but hey, you made it almost 2 weeks without missing a day!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-19-2016, 03:02 AM

(>^_^)>~~THURSDAY~~<(^_^<)

Today's Prompt:
Movie Time

I'd like to be a movie buff and i'd like to say that I am movie buff, cause I think that would be cool. But when it comes right down to it, i'm not. I like movies, but I rarely watch them. I have to be in a certain mood to sit down and watch a film, and that mood doesn't come so often. I don't know what it is. It's doesn't have anything to do with my attention span, I think i'm pretty okay in that department. I guess it stems from the feeling of having to be tethered down to one thing for an hour and a half to two hours. I like the freedom of being able to move from one thing to another.

I'd talk about that last movie I watched, which was the Iron Giant. But I kinda already did in another post. So i'll turn the subject to one of my all time favorite films.

Ugh, I love this movie!

When I was a kid, someone gave us a bunch of VHS tapes with prerecorded films on them. These were blank tapes someone filled up. One of them had Clue on it and, I dunno, it sucked me in right away. I'm sure at that young age, every joke didn't land. But I was hooked from the beginning. I've watched it many, many times over the years, and my appreciation has only grown. Great cast, great story, super funny. -- It was nice years later to learn that lots people felt an affinity for this film and that it's a cult classic.

Clue, the film, is also what sparked my love for all things Clue. The film, the board game, the VHS and DVD games. I've even written my own Clue fanfiction.

And I love the series. :D Clue, the game, originated in England and is know as Cluedo. Back the 90s, there was sort a Cluedo game show. Two sets of contestants would watch a short film, which featured all the standard characters and a separate character, who is murdered. Then the actors, as the Cluedo characters, would come out into the studio and the contestants would ask them questions and try to solve the murders. I enjoy it so feckin' much.

All the episodes are on Youtube. Here's part one of the first episode.

Music of the Day:
Nekromantix ~ Murder for Breakfast

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-24-2016 at 02:33 AM..