AmyHeartXVIII
A modern-day Jumi

Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 PM

Long time no see Menewshians! Great to be back on the forum, let's get down to business.

For religious reasons, my household is now pork free. I'll eat pork outside of the home, but anything in my stocks or personally made dishes goes without. The transition went without a bump until I came across an enormous pot hole: my breakfast. Bacon is a key ingredient in my signature "omelet pancake" and flavors everything in the dish. Turkey bacon did not save it as I had hoped, so that breakfast had to be put to rest.
My husband introduced me to one dish that would completely flip the way I do breakfast: ful medames. I've never particularly cared for beans- except green beans done in a particular way- but these fava beans were actually quite tasty. It started there and has ended up in a contest with myself: how healthy can I get while still having a flavorful breakfast?
I've discovered one key factor in my tastes: I like my protein. (Seems I'm accidentally on a slight Adkins diet as well.) So it makes sense that the high-protein fava beans would catch my fancy. After further research I found that garbanzo beans (chick peas) are also high in protein. This morning proved that I like them better in fact, because they get softer the longer you cook them- whereas fava beans start to toughen.
So I went from a scrambled or fried egg, chewy bacon, fried potatoes, and melted cheese in the morning to a soft boiled egg, protein packed beans, lightly buttered toast dusted with a little cinnamon, vegetarian bacon strips, and a banana. The only thing that hasn't changed about my breakfast: the customary glass of Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice.

So, any other suggestions for a meat lover trying to eat a healthy breakfast? And I want to branch out to beans more, any good suggestions?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Avocadoes are definitely worth making friends with at breakfast time. I like to have some toast from good bread; multigrain wholewheat from choice. Smoosh half an avocado on each slice, don't need to use butter, and if the avocado's at the right stage of ripeness it will spread over the toast beautifully. Then I'll top that with an inexpertly poached egg or two. Sometimes I'll season the egg with a sprinkle of peri peri seasoning; that looks pretty, and a little buzz of heat goes nicely with the richness of the egg yolk and avocado.

That's a super healthy, satifying and sustaining breakfast, I highly recommend :D

spicedroses
(^._.^)ノ
Penpal

Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 PM

I am gonna have to try that, i love avacados

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM

I love avocado's, so I definitely recommend. I only have cereal in the mornings. But I eat avocado's with... pork... on a sandwich every day for the past however many months! I do like pork though, it's my favourite meat

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-19-2013, 12:03 AM

I agree, I love beans also. Just today I ate red bean soup with potatoes and carrots. (: yum.

In my opinion, I think you're eating too much in the morning. This fruit shake is like a second meal. It's very, very high in sugar and calories, a fruit shake is like a second meal, especially if it's made from bananas..

I think you should give up on that kind of juice in the morning, and instead try plain orange juice, at least.
Eating more than 2 fruit a day is too much in one day. And, you're even eating one banana along the way.

I think you should try this:

soft boiled egg + beans + vegetarian bacon stripes + banana or orange juice. I also think a toast is unnecessary, perhaps plain toast is okay, but with butter? nah. Butter is full with cholesterol, it's not healthy at all.

I dont understand you, American people. Making every meal so large and big. It's only breakfast! No need to fill you up that much in the morning. Plain omelet with salad, and a piece of bread is supposed to be enough to fill your body in the morning.

You can eat beans at the evening/as a side dish as a bean salad at lunch.

Also, I am too a meat lover! But, eating red meat is recommended only once every 5 days, because red meat is not so healthy. It is preferable to eat chicken, especially breast chicken and fish.
I too, don't eat bacon, almost at all. It's too fatty and this type of meat is more unhealthy than healthy.

Last edited by Mogwai; 07-19-2013 at 12:09 AM..

AmyHeartXVIII
A modern-day Jumi

Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunanuova View Post
I do like pork though, it's my favourite meat
I hear ya, it's also mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
In my opinion, I think you're eating too much in the morning. This fruit shake is like a second meal. It's very, very high in sugar and calories, a fruit shake is like a second meal, especially if it's made from bananas..
Oh, no, it's not a shake. It's one of those Dole premade juices so it really isn't that heavy.

--*--*--

Thank you very much for your advice! Though I figured out the perfect breakfast for myself before I got back to this thread. I've taken up jogging/walking in the mornings, so I needed a two part breakfast. I now eat a mix that I call Banana Nut Oatmeal. It's a small portion of quick oats with slices of half a banana, brown sugar, and chopped walnuts. I down that with lots of water before exercising. After coming back and having a shower I'm absolutely ravenous. So I "fry" garbanzo beans in seasonings and olive oil before mashing it together with 1 egg and some turkey bits. The glass of POB- as my family and I coined it when I was still living with them- washes the mash down smoothly. If I'm not exercising that day I eat the oatmeal and mash together, but if I am exercising then I eat the mash with a slice of whole wheat banana raisin bread. (Before that I just put butter and cinnamon on plain toast.)
I've tried avocado and, unfortunately, it's not quite my cup of tea. And I've found that it's HOW I fry the garbanzo beans that gives them the flavor I like. If I boil them, they come out with the nasty bean taste I've always associated with everything but green beans.

Last edited by AmyHeartXVIII; 08-07-2013 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Quoting and personal commentary.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 AM

I'm told lamb (if you eat lamb) if quite good for you as well. High in I think it was zinc.
Though lamb is very tricky to cook as it has to be cooked through slowly... cooking it too fast makes it taste awful.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM

I have been known to make a take on an english breakfast - full on veggie style. I use whole grain toast, veggie baked beans (I recommend Amy's), avocado, and a veggie patty, with some ketchup on the side. It's fairly hearty, and fairly healthy.

But I might recommend some greek yogurt and a slice of fresh fruit.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM

i adore turkey sausage and chicken sausages
there is also turkey bacon

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm with Jelly. avocados are amazing. If I wasn't allergic to them i'd eat them at every meal but ESPECIALLY breakfast.
Got a breakfast sammich? Put avocado on it.
Bagel with cream cheese? Even better with avocado!
Morning toast too bland? Avocado spread!

Also, I don't know if you're one of those people who thinks eating meals at the "wrong time" is an abomination or not...But have you ever tried breakfast nachos?
scrambled Eggs + toppings (suggestions: jalapenos, beans, meats, cheese) on chips or in a tortillia (breakfast burrito anyone?)

I went on a pork ban from...I think I was 13 or so, until...last year I guess (I'm about to turn 22)? I'd still eat the occasional strip of bacon or two, but 350 days out of the year I wouldn't eat pork or even think about the stuff because most "pork" makes me cringe a little. Partially it was religious--my best friend when I was 13 was Jewish with a Kosher/Vegan household, and my dad who had passed away the year before, and I felt in some way that it was a nod to him... but I stayed with it for years afterwards because I found I didn't really enjoy any pork but bacon or honey-cured ham.

Vox
*^_^*

Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Yay beans! My partner and I are vegetarians, and we make black bean burgers all the time at home. Form patties out of mashed black beans, chopped onions, and oats, and then grill or fry them. And they're really good with avocados and tomatoes. o3o

As far as breakfast goes, unfortunately, I rarely get a chance to make anything more complicated than a bagel or cereal before I'm out the door. But I like your oatmeal idea! Usually I can't stand the texture of oatmeal, but I like the idea of putting chopped walnuts in it. I might have to try that.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 PM

i watched this show about all things bacon last night

i usually only use turkey bacon
since reading this yesterday
bacon has been on my mind

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 AM

You know, I've been a vegetarian since I was 11-12 and I don't really crave bacon, occasionally (maybe every five years) I crave a BLT, not so much for the bacon flavor as the mixture of flavours over all. And the veggie bacon strips cover that just fine.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Bacon is probably one of the only reasons I could never be a vegetarian. There are different degrees of it too.

If you haven't given up eggs I suggest a spanish omelet. recipe here. you can add some bell peppers to it too. Its really good if you're looking for something that feels more hearty. Also goes great with avocado. :D

I like fruit smoothies in the morning too.

Or some oatmeal with half a banana.