maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 AM

((What an amusing rant ^_^))

Father Blake noticed his employee lost in thought and felt the pain flowing through her. With a slight mental nudge, he sent a healing calm in the smallest of twinges to bring her back to the present. She blinked and asked to see the scenic route. That was what he had hoped she would say. Smiling he replied, "Of course Jessie Rose. Right this way." He led her out of town and into the tropical woods. It wasn't really a rainforest as there wasn't enough rain, but the plants were tropical instead of what would be found in most wooded areas. So he combined the names to help himself understand where he lived. "This entire trail has a cliff on one side all the way up. Father Moses would stick to the top of the cliff and ahead of us. From up there he could let loose swinging logs, poison darts, throwing knives and arrows when least expected. Along the trail itself, he didn't do much because I was a young lad back then and he feared hurting me." He led her on up, taking his time.

Finally reaching the top, the monastery came into view with a sprawling meadow below it off to the side. That was the normal way to town. Behind the monastery were more cliffs overlooking the ocean's crashing waves below. The breeze had picked up and Father Blake let it play with his blue hair much as it was doing to his companion's. Her wheels were turning, he could tell.

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Scarlett smiled at the fox’s boldness. “Are you now? All qualities will be useful.” She leaned in closer and looked the elven straight in the eye, Lúthien’s thoughts betraying her. “You think we want to beat the other ship to the treasure because we want it for ourselves. Actually, no. We aren’t your normal pirate crew. There are times we pillage and plunder, but for the most part we have…other duties.

“We are only after the other ship to keep them from getting the treasure – at all costs. For a time now, we have served as guardians over the N’veesh and other such wonders of the world, protecting them from those who would use the power for their own selfish gains. Our only goal is to keep the treasure hunters from leaving the island with the power source and discourage them from searching for the other pieces. After that, we will go after the other pieces and hide them from prying eyes.

“There is another protector on this island but he died and left a successor, though I don’t know who that is. Usually, I hid in a cove opposite the island’s port and waited for his signal that I was needed to stop the ship. Rarely was I needed, however I don’t know how skilled this new protector is. We now need all haste to reach the island before the other ship leaves. They are at least two days ahead of us. That’s where you come in, Lúthien.

“I have built a compartment in the stern of the ship that holds coal. We will heat it, but if you would use you pyrotechnic abilities to propel the ship faster than winds can. What do you think?"

She paused, looking over at O’Dell. He gave a slight nod, smiling slightly. Most young recruits thought she was telling them a ghost story at this point. After the next full moon, they were ready to jump ship. Though the elven was herself a creature that humans believed only a myth, so she was more likely to believe that their mission was true. She was their only hope for catching that ship, for the winds had decreased slightly, slowing them down.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 PM

"The forest offers good cover." Jessie said, nodding to the thick, colorful foliage on either side of them. "I think this would be a good place to pick them off, one by one. Hopefully, we can scare them enough to make them turn back. If not," She gestured to the monastery. "We will ensure they do not leave the monastery with beating hearts."

She made her way to the cliffs, Father Blake still comfortably at her side. Jessie looked over the edge, noting the sharp, rocky outcroppings on the way down, the way the waves violently crashed against giant rocks and the edges of the cliff. "This sounds macabre, Father, but I believe cornering a few of the thieves and forcing them off the edge of the cliff would also be efficient. Less mess." She said briskly. "You won't have to worry about any of the dirty work. Just lead them along, and I'll take care of everything else."

She said that last part a little more gently. Despite his cool demeanor, it must be difficult know he is indirectly causing harm to people. It may be around his nature, because it is necessary, but that doesn't make it any less easy to swallow. She remembered the first few times she hurt people. Or killed them. For days afterwards, she drowned herself in ale, trying to wash their blood off her hands, to forget and escape the darkness that would haunt her. Eventually, she realized she couldn't, and learned to cope with it. Dying was a part of life, and she knew sometimes she would have to be death's striking blow. Silently, she promised herself to chase the darkness away from Father Blake. This time, she would let it haunt her. He didn't deserve the darkness haunting him. She'd let it haunt her instead.

She regained her resolve, and turned to Father Blake. "Care to give me a tour of the palace?" She said with a crooked grin.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM

Father Blake's soft laughter surrounded both him and Jessie Rose. Palace indeed. "Right this way," he said leading her towards the monastery. By default it had a wall around it, gleaming white in the sun. It could easily be scaled and wasn't really mean to keep anyone in or out. It simply was a barrier against the storms that sometimes pounded the island. Walking through the open doors, he showed her the courtyard. "As you can see, the main areas outside are for gardening, resting, praying and of course refreshing. You will notice in the corner a large fountain providing us with clean spring water to drink." He looked about the place fondly. Just a child when he arrived, Father Moses had allowed him to play here. When he used his Gift to heal physical injuries or help plants grow, Father Moses had trained him to be a priest. Now he felt at home here and hoped the place would be as soothing to others as it was for him.

As long as the small blue orb was hidden here though, not everyone would come to be soothed. A responsibility to make sure it stayed put weighed down on his shoulders. At least the chalice was missing, despite the clue about the Deal Maker, as well as the intricately crafted lid. With two pieces missing, anyone looking for the orb were less likely to be successful in their mission.

Last edited by maidenroseheart; 10-09-2012 at 01:44 AM..

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 AM

Jessie was taken aback at the sheer grandeur of the monastery. It was beautiful. She stared agape at the lush gardens, the serene resting and prayer areas, the beautiful, bubbling fountain. "Oh my goodness. It's magical." She breathed. Her head was swiveling on her shoulders. She couldn't take it all in at once. And it was just the outside! She had never been in places like these, just beaten down taverns and inns, tired old churches in various states of disrepair. Jessie suddenly felt under dressed. As soon as she was paid, she was going to one of those fancy boutiques she saw the ladies flitting in and out of, and buying herself proper clothes, so the next time she visited a place of class, she wouldn't look like a drowned rat.

She felt like a little girl on Christmas, though she had only celebrated it once. Her gifts had been her very first sword, a better jacket, and her first bottle of ale. But still, she was excited! The first thing she wanted to do was laze on her bed and eat grapes. Jessie almost laughed at the thought of herself doing such a thing. The vision in her head was comical.

"Do I take my boots off if we go inside? I don't want to spoil your fine rugs." She said nervously, glancing at her muddy boots.

Last edited by Tancileena; 10-09-2012 at 04:57 AM..

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 AM

Amarantha swam through the water getting nearer to human ports. Then she saw a ship leaving that caught her eye. The name on the side was the Dark Storm. She stayed far enough away to not be easily spotted by the humans and just watched. Areaus swam nearby, keeping an eye on his young companion.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Sensing her wonderment, he smiled and shook his head, "No need to remove your boots. This place is for all and has seen more weary souls than yourself." Father Blake slowly led her across to the white stone building. Reaching for the solid oak door, he pushed it open. The cool air inside seeped over them, the smell of incense filling their nostrils. Before them was a wide open hallway. Cool, brown stone made up the walkway in neat, tight-fitted patterns that gave the illusion of mosaics. The walls were white stone with niches a yard apart on both sides so the lighted candles would provide light. There were doors on each side as well. Guess rooms, storage, a pantry, a cooking area, a dining area. Rooms such a place would have. Since he was the only one staying here, his bedroom door was closed as was his office. They were all labeled, but with the other doors open, it was easy to see the neat rooms inside carefully arranged and cleaned.

Feeling her wistfulness, he turned to the young lady on his arm and took in her facial expression of awe as her eyes adjusted to the slightly dimmer light. At the end of the hall was what he knew would captivate her the most. Slowly leading Jessie Rose forward, he wondered what she would think of the sanctuary beyond. Inside she would see the dusted wooden pews, red carpet covered with drifting light from the large windows. The incense was becoming slightly stronger as they neared that beautiful room of worship.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Anticipation clenched in Jessie's stomach as they moved down the beautiful hallway. The sanctuary... She thought excitedly, as they neared it. The incense was stronger. It was heady, exoctic, floral but not overwhelming. It was lovely. I'm going to smell good for days. Thought Jessie with a smile.

Father Blake pushed open the sturdy, well polished, double oak doors and they stepped into the sanctuary. Instantly, Jessie felt a sense of reverence towards this place. It was a large room, but not too grandly decorated. It was simple, yet tasteful and altogether beautiful. The massive windows held sparkling, seemingly enchanted stained glass, that sent rainbows of light dancing along the pews. The plush carpet sank slightly under their feet, but sprang up as soon as they continued to walk further into the sanctuary. Straight ahead, on the wall opposite them, hung a statue of Jesus on the cross. His thorny-crown adorned head hung, His beatific face gazing lovingly down at the pews. His arms spread across the beams, scarlet blood around the edges of the nails in His wrists. The whole thing was so lifelike, it gave Jessie chills. The craftsmanship was spectacular. Around the room were statues of the Virgin Mary, the Apostles, paintings of the Last Supper, when Jesus calmed the storm, when he turned the water into wine, fed the masses. Jessie was overwhelmed, but loved it. This was her favorite place in the monastery, she could already tell. It was filled with a sense of peace that settled her racing, uneasy mind. A welcome respite after all of the worrying she had done for so long. Silently she paid her respects, as this was a place more than deserving of them.

Jessie turned to Father Blake, whose face was alight with colors from the stained glass. "Father, I..." She began. Tears pricked the corners of her eyes, threatening to fall. She took a deep breath and tried again. "Father, I am in awe. The sanctuary is gorgeous. Thank you for bringing me here. This is truly a house of the Lord. I feel so at ease with myself, I've missed it. Thank you." Jessie hugged Father Blake, more tears threatening their descent. She took another breath and released him, giving him another smile.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 PM

He held her back after the hug to look into her smiling face. The pain he had felt from her all this time had diminished so much that he could barely detect it. Reaching a thumb up, he carefully wiped the tears away one at a time. Then he pulled her back into his arms, careful to not catch Meeka in an accidentally pinch. This was a place of healing even for her. He wanted nothing more in that moment than to keep all the violence and pain away from her and this place. She should be allowed to rest as a normal guest, not fight in blood and rage. He could protect her here. In the middle of this sanctuary, he could continuously grow trees with many branches repeatedly out of the pews for a long while. Surely any pirate or soldier would long tire of hacking his way through before his magical energy ran out.

However it couldn't be. That would be taking away choice. Humanity needed to have the ability of choice. If he tried to control fate or time, then he himself was committing a sin against those he loved and places he cared about. Reluctantly he released her and asked, "Are you strong enough of spirit to see the crypt below?" He didn't want to take her there. Not now. She was a sheep in need of a protecting shepherd like any other. How could he have hired her when he should have offered her sanctuary instead. His heart went out to her.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 AM

Jessie steeled herself, her resolve back intact, and she nodded. "Yes. I think it's best I see it now. I'll have more time to plan the traps better. The sooner I can secure the monastery and the trail, the better. Your safety, as well as the monastery's is my top priority, and I'm going to make sure this is done right."

She squared her shoulders and faced Father Blake. "I swear to you, Father, no harm will come to you or this place. I will try my hardest to keep you safe. But if I fail, run for the town. Promise me you will run and won't stop until you are safe. I will make sure they do not find the orb. When they leave, wait two hours before you return, to make sure it isn't a trap to lure you back so they can pry the location of the orb from you. Jessie closed her eyes and forced out the next sentence. If... If I am killed, I ask that you send my body back to my parents. They live on the wharf, in Odelund. Just ask for Durn. Someone will point you to the right house."

Jess did not want to die, nobody does. But here, this peaceful island, with their peaceful ways, and this peaceful man, they did not deserve the bloody violence that was about to befall them. An item of power was placed in their innocent hands, and they were going to pay the price for its protection. Jessie was going to try her damnedest to minimize the damage. And if that meant sacrificing herself for their safety, then so be it.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM

He couldn't bear her words. Sorrow dripped from them. Placing his warm hands on her shoulders, Father Blake responded, "Jessie Rose. I will not leave you. You will not die. At least not in the next 24 hours. My ability to heal will keep me close by. If you are injured, then I will simple restore you to normal health. If I am not around, then the pirates and pillagers might learn of the normal trail to the monastery. I rather be close at hand to lead them the scenic route that buys so much time." He thought about the orb and chuckled. Ruefully he added, "And I don't know where the orb is. I know it is below in the crypt, however without the potion that I have stored here, you will never see the blue mist that eminates from the orb. If you can't see the blue mist, then you can't follow it to the orbs hiding place down below. Though the potion is perfectly safe, because I vowed to live here I had to inject into my skin a virus that will activate and kill me within hours if I myself drink the potion. So you see, that is the way of it." He looked into her eyes, searching. Did she understand? She wouldn't be doing this alone. Though difficult times were ahead, she would get through it.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Huh. She hadn't counted on them thinking so far ahead, and taking into account the fact that Father Blake might be kidnapped. That gave her relief, although it was tiny. Jessie nodded, glad to hear there was a good strategy in place.

She gestured towards the hallway. "Is this the way to the crypt? Afterwards, I would like to sit down and plan out our attacks. I think it is best you know from which direction I will be attacking and setting traps. I doubt you would be caught in any of them, but it will be in your favor to know where they lie. In fact, if there is a particular person you would want... taken care of, you can set them up to fall victim to a specific trap or attack."

Jessie looped her arm through Father Blake's again, much more confident in what they were about to do. They were a team, and the orb was going to stay protected. She was determined.

Seer Of the Future
Live Breathe Art

Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Lúthien was shocked as she heard that her captin was so gracious to protect these treasures. It made her respect the woman all the more. Smiling slowly, the female royal offered her ultimate way of supporting the captin. Stepping forward, her fire suddenly arose from her feet and curled in a swirling stream around her. Reaching out she touched the captin's hand and then forehead. A small mark that looked like flames appeared upon the human's skin, and the elf spoke in her native language. "I give you the blessing of the sacred fire... May the flames engulf your enimies and drive you to cleanse the world with justice. The royal flame be with you." she spoke in fluent beautiful elvish. The flames then shot out onto the coals, setting it ablaze. Lúthien smiled, her eyes glowing with the power of magic. "Then let us get there swiftly, I will offer my services to you my captin." the girl said, sweeping into a graceful bow. Shanniel smiled and then leaped up onto the railings. "I shall get my barings and then sniff out our commotion shall I?" the sassy fox said and began to gracefully run along the ship swiftly, a blurr of furr. Turning to the captin, Lúthien rose from her bow and looked to her captin. "With that mark you can call upon me by touching it and saying my name." she said smoothly, wondering if the woman before her understood the blessing bestowed upon her.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 AM

Sensing her relief brought Father Blake a sense of relief himself. She would be okay and she understood that. Leading Jessie Rose to the front of the sanctuary, he pointed out, "Look here, at the pulpit." He led he around so she could see the backside of the large piece of furniture. There, in the floor of it was an open space. "This rocky stairs leads down into the crypt. Come, you will see no bones." He smiled at her reassuring, treasuring the light that filtered on her hair before they descended into the darkness. There was matches and a torch at the bottom that they could use.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 PM

"Ah, Father Blake," Jessie said with a laugh. "I have spent enough time on the seas to have seen many bones. My stomach can handle it, although it is a relief that they are not here. Being around bones for too long wears on the spirit." Jessie had a brief flashback of that horrendous winter on Durn's ship, when Jessie was eleven. A third of the crew caught a nasty infection at their last port that festered in fresh wounds and they had to be quarantined in the prison cells, in the bottom of the ship. Since there was no way to heal the men, they had to wait it out for weeks on the water, waiting for the men to die, or recover. None did. She remembered the healthy crew members, with scraps of cloth tied round their mouths and noses, as they carried out the dead men, wrapped in old masts for their water burials. Jessie remembered the nauseating moment when one tore, and a leg fell out, all bone, with bits of gristle an flesh still attached in some spots. Maurice's leg. He'd cut his leg sharpening his sword and the infection must have eaten the whole thing down to the bone. She remembered bending over starboard side and retching into the calm waters below, remembering their cries in pain at night and thinking about how painful that must have been. That had been the worst of it, but after that, it wasn't so bad anymore. Eventually, you get used to death, one way or another.

Jessie shook herself, and made her way down the damp, uneven steps into the darkness below. When they reached the bottom, there was utter darkness in front of them. Behind and above them, there was a bright spot of light, where they had just come from. Perfectly framed in that spot of light, was a window to the outside, where there was a spectacular view of the sky and forest. There was a brief moment of silence, save for the sound of rustling. Father Blake searching for something, no doubt. Suddenly, a small match sparked, and his face was softly illuminated in the warm glow. He held his tongue between his teeth, concentrating as he touched the flame to the torch in his hand, and light flared up all around them, lighting the way a few feet into the narrow corridor ahead.

Slowly, they began to walk towards the darkness, that bright square of light steadily growing smaller until it disappeared behind them completely, and their only source of light was the ever flickering torch in the Father's hand. It smelled wet, earthy and only slightly musty. Blessedly, the air was free from the scent of decaying bones, and the intimidating feeling of death hanging above them, just out of sight. She had no doubt the crypt must have once been filled with the dead at some point, though, so she made a mental note to not touch anything that would have held bones. Accustomed to death or not, they still gave Jessie the willies, and the last thing she wanted, was to give the man she was supposed to protect the privilege of watching her dance around and babble out of fright. Somehow, Jessie figured that wouldn't instill a whole lot of trust in her abilities, if she reacted to dead people the same way a lady would react to a spider in her boudoir. Determined, Jess suppressed that panicky feeling and pushed grimly on.

Last edited by Tancileena; 10-12-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 AM

O’Dell leapt out of his chair, knocking it to the floor, pulling his pistol to take aim. Scarlett shot him a warning look, telling him that it was alright. He knew the elves held magical powers, and apparently also had a flare for the dramatic. He wasn’t all that convinced what the girl had said wasn’t a curse and kept his hand on the weapon as to keep it accessible.

Scarlett stared at the mark on her hand. This would be helpful in deed. She had often wished she had a mind-reader aboard; this was close enough. “Thank you, Lúthien. It is an honor you have granted me.” A blur of fur shot past the door again. “Your friend Shanniel’s tracking ability may be useful if we need to land on the island. I know where the orb is but the Protector will lead them down a different trail. It would be nice to know which trail as to ‘detour’ them if need be.” Scarlett glanced over at her first officer. He was very wary indeed, not easily trusting of those who put of such displays of magic. Of course, O’Dell rarely trusted anyone even if they seemed normal. She would have to explain her plan to him in private after they were done here. The ship had increased speed with the added help of Lúthien’s flaming propulsion. Yes, they would catch the treasure hunters, she was sure of it.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Father Blake came to the end of the runnel. Turning he looked back the way they had come. Each side had empty niches where remains could have been placed. As far as he knew, the crypt had been built for the sole purpose of the orb. The rocky walls and the dirt floor. Casually he commented, "Somewhere under the dirt floor is the orb. It could be at the base of the stairs. It could be here. I couldn't tell you. Not much I know. However the plainness is all that is needed to convince many that the orb is not here. Without it, the artifact can't be activated." He took in Jessie Rose' pale face. "What do you think?"

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 10-14-2012, 05:00 PM

ooc: Has the Dark Storm left port yet?
Amarantha watched the Dark Storm, wandering what was going on aboard and in the lives of her crew. She wandered what it would be like to be able to walk and run, to dance with someone you loved. Areaus stayed near, keeping an eye on her. He had never shown signs of ever wanting to try to join any of the pods of orcas that they had ever run into. He seemed content to stay at the mermaid's side, her close and constant companion.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Sassy walked over to Aqua, her dark eyes taking in the sprite's worried blue eyes. She wondered what the water witch was thinking but knew that if it didn't pertain to the ship, crew, or themselves that it wasn't something she need worry about. Sassy, as the captain, liked to ensure that each person on her crew was doing okay. However as the captain, she couldn't be a personal friend to any of them. That didn't stop her from having stronger protective feelings for her navigator and first mate than the others, so she kept it in the back of her mind.

Destiny hung up high in the ropes. The breezes were stronger up here but her view easier of what happened on the ship as well as what was around them at sea. She could see the feathers of her captain's scarf blowing about as the captain double-checked the preparations for landing. They were less than a day away and most likely would land during the night. It only made sense to ensure that all was ready ahead of time, especially since they wouldn't use any light come sunset. She herself had spent the day sharpening her own blades. The gun at her side a mere distraction, as it was unloaded, would allow some idiot to reach for it in a close quarters fight. While they did that, she could easily use any of the blades at her disposal. The one in her hand, the smallest ones in her hair, the one between her breasts, or even those in her boots. She was ready for tonight.

Aqua sat simply in her hammock, keeping the water currents around the ship smooth as she forced them at their fast pace. Almost there and then she could rest. She was becoming tired from the constant strain of manipulating the water. Her graceful legs dangled over the edge of the hammock with her long blue gowns sweeping about them. She didn't have to wear long gowns. She could easily change her appearance to something else more convenient. However this sense of beauty and grace that befitted a goddess made her feel more at home. Just had to make it to night fall.

Seer Of the Future
Live Breathe Art

Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM

Lúthien had noticed the way the captin's first mate Mr. O'Dell had pulled a weapon on her, and didn't trust her. Considering she had been attacked multiple times since she had left home, she had been expecting it. Humans were very wary, and untrusting, mostly because most of their kind always had many secrets from one mother. While with elves, they were more trusting, polite, and used shows of magic and kindness to win respect and offer honor. Besides the inn keep the young elf had met last night, Captin Scarlett was the most kind and gracious human she had met. Though one thing that made the girl unhappy was the glare she was getting from the male, who was still holding the gun with his hand. She looked to him, and her own exotic eyes narrowed. "I suggest, Mr. O'Dell, that you don't draw your weapon again around me. I don't appreciate hostility when I offer kindness... In the society I come from, many get burned from acting so." she said coldly, her face a mask of neutrality while her eyes burned with bubbling anger at his actions. Flames burst forth once again from her hands and shot into the biting coals once more with a flick of her wrists. "Just a word of caution." the red headed elf said and watched as Shanniel returned once more.

"Lúthien, I've retrieved all of the crews' scents and mapped out the ship in my head. We won't lost anyone." she said smoothly and then tilted her head to the male. "So, now we just feed the coals? Sounds interesting enough, I like the thought process of you Captin. Very clever on figuring out a contraption like this." the fox went on as Lúthien then squatted to pet her friend. Both of them hadn't appriechiated the way the male was, but hopefully he would soon open his eyes to see that they were here and willing to help.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Jessie nodded as she took in the stark, empty room. She paid close attention to the specific shade of each stone, looking for any pattern, or off color that might indicate a clue or the location of the orb. Next, she examined the grouting, looking for any disturbances or drafts. Afterwards, Jessie stood on each stone, checking for a pressure switch that might open up a small compartment or stairs leading to a chamber where the orb would be held.

Nothing. She found absolutely nothing, and that made her want to leap for joy. Whomever designed this room was brilliant. Nobody would ever suspect the orb to be buried under a bone crypt. Their imagination would point them towards the most extravagantly decorated room in the building. Something that would be befitting to hold an ancient and powerful artifact. They wouldn't give this room a second glance. This was a good start. They had an advantage. Two, in fact. They could tear the monastery to pieces, and never find the orb, because it wouldn't be put in the most obvious place. Even if they knew the orb was in this room, they would walk in, examine everything the same as Jessie, and decide there must be some mistake, because the orb couldn't possibly be held in a room full of dead people, not unless they drank the potion offered by Father Blake.

Something wasn't right though. Jessie kept turning in circles, slowly figuring it out. At last, it clicked, and she turned to the man in front of her.

"Father Blake. There needs to be deceased in this room." Jessie spoke matter of factly, careful to give as much reasoning as possible in her analysis. "If I were to walk into a monastery crypt and find it empty, I would become suspicious. After all, the sole purpose of this room is but that of a final resting place for the departed. As much as I dislike being near corpses, if we have any hope of pulling off this disguise, it must be convincing. Therefore, we must find a graveyard and exhume two corpses. One must be fairly decayed, at least a year old, this is to give the appearance that the crypt has been in use for quite some time. The other, can be newer. Less than two months old. Something still in the process of decay, so the room has time to fill up with the stench of death. It will further convince our guests that this is a room that does not hold the artifact they seek. The smell alone should turn them back before they can give it a closer glance. Even if they ignored the scent and entered completely, the older corpse will only further prove the extended use of this room. Father Blake, we must commence digging, at once." Jessie looked at Father Blake steadily. He had to have faith in her, now was not the time to feel queasy. She had a job to do.

maidenroseheart

Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Father Blake felt his face drain of color. That didn't sound like something he was eager to do. Ever. Gulping, he hesitantly agreed, "As you wish." The phrase meant he didn't like it but would do what she wanted because he cared about her. His own father had used the same phrase the same way. They spent the rest of the morning carefully getting permission from families in town and then moving bodies, or what was left of them, to the crypt. It wasn't something that left him very eager for lunch. Despite that though, after they were done, he sent Jessie Rose to go bath with strong scented soaps while he did the same. He cleaned up quickly and slipped into the kitchen. There he prepared a basking with sandwiches and cider for lunch. They needed to go set up traps of the trail. Anything done in the monastery or crypt could wait until evening. The trail needed daylight. Might as well take lunch with them so that when their appetites returned, or his at least, they would have something to eat. Finishing packing, he headed out into the courtyard to wait for her by the fountain.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Gratefully, Jessie bathed. She hated the way death clung to her. Besides, if they smelled like dead bodies when the thieves arrived, it would arouse suspicion. Jessie took her time stepping out of the giant round tub she was sitting in. She just wanted to lay there and drowse. Finally out, she dressed quickly and used her fingers to comb her hair. She hurried down the long hallways and found Father Blake waiting in the courtyard, his hair damp and he was carrying a basket. Jessie noticed how hungry she was and couldn't wait to dig in.
She took Father Blake waiting outside as a queue to begin planning their traps along the trail. She stepped towards him and placed her arms in his and began walking towards the scenic route.
"I figure we can plan the traps and stop to eat before we set to work." She said chattily. "You'll get that appetite back soon enough, dear." She patted his arm softly. "Don't worry. I won't let them hurt you or the monastery. They're walking into hell, and I will be waiting to rain it down upon them. They'll regret stepping on this island, I promise."

maidenroseheart

Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 AM

He gave a low chuckle at the pleasant sound of her words. He was starting to feel better already. It was definitely because of the company, though the change in scenery helped a lot too. "I agree. Well this is the start of the cliffs. Lay out your ideas as we walk down. We can eat on the beach before returning to set them up. If we hurry, we can be done by nightfall." He was a bit sad they had so little time together, but they would face that when the time came.

((Go ahead and do a lot of talking. I'm not feeling well and planning to take a sick day tomorrow since the school is going on a field trip to an amusement park.))

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM

((Aw, feel better! I'm just getting over a head cold, but it's looking like I have a chest cold now. :( Sick buddies! haha))

Jessie examined the cliffs again, expanding on her ideas. As they walked along the trail, she found the perfect places to plan a dead fall, a spike pit, a hidden net and so on. She made mental notes and figured out what supplies they would need. They chatted about anything and everything, with Jessie occasionally pointing out an area she would place a trap and explaining how it works.

After a while, they were back at the beach, not far from where she met Father Blake, just hours earlier. It was strange that so much had happened in such a short amount of time, and how much had changed. This got her thinking about after she guarded the monastery, and what she would do with herself when the dust settled. Her first instinct was to return home to her parents and continue to look for work. But Jessie knew there was no work to be found, her last employer had made sure of that. The limp backed scoundrel. An idea bloomed in her mind, and Jessie looked at Father Blake.

"Father," She said, slowly putting her idea into words. "I noticed you do not have a more permanent form of security to protect the orb, and it would be hard to find someone to help you every time the orb was in danger. If I guard the monastery successfully, would you be open to the idea of hiring me on as head of security? I know of some unemployed seamen who I could manage as a semi permanent security staff. We do not need to be paid much. We learned to live off of meager sea wages for years. I noticed a large abandoned house that could serve as lodgings for anyone you decide to hire. What are your thoughts?"

Truthfully, Jessie didn't want to leave the island. She had no family here, so it would be strange to decide to make it her permanent residence. She needed a reason to stay, and this seemed to be her best bet. Deep down, she knew the real reason, but she refused to pay any attention to that little voice in the corner of her mind. It would only distract her and make things harder. She knew Father Blake could reject her offer. And, truth be told, it was up to him whether she stayed or not. If he agreed, then she would protect Father Blake, the monastery and the orb, full time. If he said no, she would no longer have a reason to stick around, and she would set about finding employment elsewhere. She'd heard that there was a well paying fishing job way down south, and it peaked her interest. Once things were settled here, she would hitch a ride on the next ship and go see if her luck was better in warmer waters.

She ate her sandwich and sipped at her cider while she waited for Father Blake to answer. She would not pressure him, it wouldn't be fair. She wanted him to come to his decision on his own time, so in the meantime, Jessie let her mind wander, enjoying his company and the gorgeous view in front of them.