M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Welcome fellow Menewshians! Handsewn Projects: the soft plush side of DIY! This is where all DIY soft plush fanatics and sewing masters can come display their past & current projects with the rest of Mene! Plus, discuss what sewing techniques are better use for certain sewing projects and what they will need to get started on their future projects. This is not a thread to find out manufacturers who will create plushies for you! For beginners at sewing, please read this Quickie FAQ for Beginners @ Sewing. I hope it helps!

Wait, there is more! You will be able to be featured throughout the week as the "Cut of the Week!" craft/plushie maker! Users will vote for their favorite hand-sewn projects made by EACH OTHER! The 3 lucky top Favorited winners each receive 1,ooo gold and the spotlight for the week! In addition, please add-on relevant tutorials part for stitching techniques! Youtube and Pinterest are the best sources to get started.

[If you wish to share your official online craft stores: Go post in the Look At What I've Got! thread]
Soft Plush Patterns (FREE)
DIY Totoro Soft Plush Tutorial by cheekandstitch
DIY Kawaii Snow Yeti Soft Plush Tutorial by cheekandstitch

Simple to Intermediate Patterns (FREE)
Simple & Petite Felt Bow Template by Kiki & Co.
Strawberry & Cake Tutorial + Cake Pattern by Yummy Ciao (Asian)
Felt + Crochet + Knitting + Embroidery + Weaving Project(s) by Purl Soho

Stitching Tutorials @ YouTube
Running Stitch
Blanket Stitch
Up & Down Buttonhole Stitch Tutorial(s) by Mary Corbet - Easy
Ladder Stitch Tutorial by StitchLabSewing - Easy

(*P.S: Mary C's youtube account has all embroidery needs of stitching international stitches by hand. :) )

Quote:
ENDING CREDITS
fonts used sachiko, champagne and cupid by nymphont @ DA . banners & graphics made with PE & handrawn by Miro

Last edited by M i r o; 09-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: cutting down info

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 PM

FILL OUT THIS FORM TO PIN YOUR PROJECTS!
Quote:
[b]ALL Handmade OR Handmade & Machine?[/b]
[b]Previous Projects[/b]
[b]Current Projects[/b]
[b]Materials Used[/b]
[u]Pattern Credits[/u]:
Miro's Soft Plush Project(s) [All Handmade]
Previous Projects
Plush Bulk Preview
Purple Octopus
Raccoon
Current Project
Christmas Raccoon
Materials
* Felt (25 cents each OR 4 for $1.oo @ Hobby Lobby)
* All Purpose Thread (Price varies from store to store)
* 1oo% Poly-Fil 12 oz ($2.99 @ Hobby Lobby)
* Plastic black eyes & noses (99cents @ Hobby Lobby)
Pattern Credits: Cheek&Stitch + TeacupLion

Melody's Soft Plush Project(s) [Handmade + Machine]
Previous Projects
Pokemon: Cherrim
Current Project
Pokemon: Poliwag and Pichu
Materials
* Felt + Fleece

Last edited by M i r o; 04-03-2014 at 09:27 PM..

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 PM

CUT OF THE WEEK: Will you be here?! The three top user favorites win 1,ooo Gold! :D
When the voting starts, users will PM (private message) me votes! DON'T POST YOUR VOTE HERE

Vote for your favorite user posted handmade sewing soft plush projects!
Only 3 will be displayed at a time, each week by your fellow menewshians!

Last edited by M i r o; 09-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: correcting misspelling*

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Oh gosh, Totoro plush tutorial He's an easy shape too, there's really no excuse -beats self-

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM

woo! Hiya, Jelly! :D
loololl I started out on the free Yeti pattern before I did Totoro.

I want to find a easy tutorial on how to create the head indentations.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 PM

I realise I do have an excuse \o/ I don't have Totoro-suitable fabric. Not sure what he'd think of being made in something floral, or polka dot

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM

For shame! jkjk

What materials does England sell? Or what craft stores do they have?

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 PM

Gah!! How cute! Makes me want to make a plushie again!! Last one I made was my mini baby Yans!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 PM

I've never made any really good plushes, but I made a few sort of primitive felt owls a few years back. The stitching wasn't on the inside like plush stitching is supposed to be. But they were made more to be cute for grown ups than to be played with for kids, and I had a sort of quasi-folk art aesthetic in mind. I made one for myself and made another as a gift for a friend. I'm a little afraid to attempt anything that isn't so forgiving, though. I can't sew worth a damn.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM

@ Woodly; Hiya, Woodly!
Were you the one who made the tissue/stick yan? Or did you make him a different way?

@ Cherry; Yay, Cherruu!

Oh, I love owls :) I haven't had much progress on making owls myself... The one I made makes Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland look sane I have found some nice patterns on Etsy! I could give you the link to the shop (if you want it). They are really really cute! But I had a choice between either the Raccoon pattern or the owl and I chose the Raccoon.

Do you have any of your projects photographed? I would love to see'em!

Aww, that's why it's good to start out small xD I took Fashion class during my Junior year of HS but I only got to work on a premade plush pattern by some... business. I can't remember. Everyone else made hoodies, tote bags, and purses :(

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM

My friend did post some photos of the owl I made for her. But they're not full photos, so you've got to look at a few to get the full idea. Closeup of the face. Sloppy stitching.. You can kind of see how I made the underside of the wing a different color, and you can sort of see the feet. Extremely simple/primitive/folksy. I was under no illusion that it was an amazing project, just a cute, quick little stylized thing.

At this point, I wouldn't want to pay for any patterns. I'm not sure I'd be able to do them properly enough to make it worth the purchase. I'd definitely want to start with free ones to begin with. I've got to say, that Totoro project is tempting. I love Totoro. I've been toying with the idea of doing a cat sillhouette type thing. A simple two-sided one like my owls, not very 3D. Just cut out a cat shape on two pieces of fabric and sew them together. Might look nice if it was done with a patterned fabric.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 PM

Oh! that reminds me of that hand puppet off of the anime Ouran High School. lol I think it's cute
So, you found the right thing!

I guess that's understandable. I can try and track down more free patterns. I recently found a felt bow pattern and a strawberry & cake tutorial for you guys (it's in the first post). Well, I did find a owl pattern through pinterest but I don't think it's really good But I just recently found some owl paper goodies: Jinjerup: Easter Owl Goodie Bag & Bookmarks Freebies

And here's a dorky asian tutorial of an owl: http://ducklingpond.blogspot.com.br/...l-pattern.html

But the totoro will definitely be good for you. And since you love'em, it'd be a good project \ o /

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-14-2013, 01:33 AM

Do you know of a tutorial that's best for absolute beginners?

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 AM

I sewed little Yans that I could hang on the Christmas tree. Let's see if I can find a picture....

SPOILERX

That owl tutorial is adorable! I might have to make some of those. How'd you come across these tutorials?

Also, I can so see the Ouran puppet in that cute one! Where's Nekozawa when you need him?

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 AM

@ Cherry; O! That would be good. I can search and track them down. I don't have any of those yet.

@ Woodly; Wow, did you freehand that? That's really clean cut and good!

The DIY Totoro came up from a Tokyopop newsletter from Facebook. The Snow Yeti came up when I subscribed to cheek & stitch on their facebook page. Cheek & stitch is also located on deviantart.com. The person hasn't made any new freebie patterns yet, though.

The others I've found searching through pinterest by typing in "felt patterns" or "owl patterns." Same thing with Google B) The raccoon pattern that I bought from Teacup Lion comes from Etsy, though. I'm not exactly following the pattern of hers to the "T." I want external arms & legs. xD I don't think I could do the zigzag stitch cleanly enough to save my life if I followed her instructions.

Ooo! You know who I'm talking about, yay!
He's prolly lurking in a good shadowy hideout ~

---------- Post added 09-13-2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

But Cherry, what type of beginning do you want to start?
Quote:
I found a easy penguin pattern/tutorial: Molly's Sketchbook: The Purl BeezPenguin - The Purl Bee - Knitting Crochet Sewing Embroidery Crafts Patterns and Ideas! It shows you step by step what to do, just like the Totoro and the Snow Yeti tutorials.

Here's a easy scarf tutorial: Molly's Sketchbook: Pom PomzScarf - The Purl Bee - Knitting Crochet Sewing Embroidery Crafts Patterns and Ideas!

You just find whatever fabric you want to make into a scarf and sew on some pom-poms.

To me, I think the simplest and the most easiest way to start out is making a pillow. I just found this nice small scale pillow project: Corinne's Thread: Felt FlowerzSachets - The Purl Bee - Knitting Crochet Sewing Embroidery Crafts Patterns and Ideas! .

The really easy one, making flowers for head bands: Molly's Sketchbook: AnemonezMagnets - The Purl Bee - Knitting Crochet Sewing Embroidery Crafts Patterns and Ideas! . All you do is layer on the petal cut outs and sew them together. Or you can get the no-stitch glue and glue them together. A hot glue gun would work just as well but don't burn yourself.

Or a nice citrus cup coaster: Molly's Sketchbook: CitruszCoasters - The Purl Bee - Knitting Crochet Sewing Embroidery Crafts Patterns and Ideas!
I think I'm going to try this myself! They look so awesome! No stuffing required :) Just simple shapes! and basic stitching.
*EDIT*

I'll put that in a quote since that's a lot of links. But for Halloween go'ers and do'ers, here's a nice free pattern for you! I found this on the same website I'm getting the others that I've posted here. This is a free candy corn bag pattern! It's simple and easy, all you do is layer and sew! It looks exactly like the candy corn purse from the green* halloween goodie bag on Mene: Candy Corn Trick-r-treat

Last edited by M i r o; 09-14-2013 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: quoting

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i r o View Post
For shame! jkjk

What materials does England sell? Or what craft stores do they have?
There's a store here in town that sells fabric, and I'm sure they'd have grey and white felt, but if I bought some, I'd then have to actually try the tutorial

I went through a phase of buying fat quarters on Ebay and Etsy, because I found this quilt tutorial and decided I was going to attempt it. Still might, one day

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 AM

Aww! Well, you should always try something new

Ooo! How many squares do you actually have to make to make a full sized quilt? (That looks kinda tedious and scary). loololl
My great grandma made me a precious moments blanket when I was little. I don't have it anymore, unfortunately :(

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-15-2013, 04:08 PM

These plushies are adorable. :3

Nivvy
(っ◔◡◔)&...

Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 AM

Ohhh I've always wanted to try making a plushy <3
I shall be returning, to stalk some tutorial goodness ^^

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Hiya Belly, Nivvy! I'm glad chu came to visit! <3

@ Nivvy; yay! I wish I could find more free plush patterns.
I've tried but the only ones I've found are Asian ones and the images are too small to work with.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 10:29 AM ----------

These are the ones I'm talking about: Pinkydreams
There's a few more patterns on there too.

Here's a free raccoon pattern, written in Russian: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...53f34ac903.jpg And here's a image tutorial made from an Asian sewing person, on how to put it together: http://images-fast.digu365.com/d6d41...875a140004.jpg

I think that raccoon is kind of adorable but kinda ugly too. loololl

Last edited by M i r o; 09-16-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM

I really love that raccoon! It looks pretty simple to make, too... But I should probably have my first project be something with very clear English instructions so I can get the hang of the basics.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Yes, sorry. I tried to track down a English version. But I was glad to find a image reference.
Oh, did you start on the Totoro plush???

I know this may be luck asking.... But does anyone have or know how to make a red riding hood? On a smaller scale, that is.
I suppose I will search for it myself too.

---------- Post added 09-17-2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

I just need the hood, not the cape.

---------- Post added 09-17-2013 at 02:56 PM ----------

I've only found this tutorial for a toddler: Freshly Completed: Little Red Riding Hood Cloak Tutorial

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Oh, no, I haven't started on anything yet. Though I was thinking about it, and I just remembered that my boyfriend's sister just had a baby, so if I do make some plushes, there's a good receptacle for the ones that come out good and don't have any buttons or other choke-on-able parts!

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM

I do handsewn felt animals - but I don't have any of my felt supplies down at school with me as I didn't think I'd have time, and now I wish I had all my stuff down here with me. :(

But this is one of my favorites that I've made. :]
My rainbow octopus. ^_^

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 09-19-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Aww, that's cute! I like how huge and buggy his eyes are.