BellatrixBlack
~Toujours Pur~

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM

I don't like scary movies much because I hate seeing gore or people getting hurt. I don't find them scary usually, just uncomfortable. I saw one Saw movie with a friend and was like "T____T;" the whole time, hahaha. BUT. For some reason I really like scary/creepy manga...

I am reading one right now called Dragonhead and it's super creepy. It's about a mysterious accident that happens in a subway/underground train and the only survivors are three teenagers. But I think its definitely not a manga for kids... It's very dark and intense and a little gory at times (in black and white, but still!). It's not entirely a survival manga, which is good for me coz those are usually very predictable, but it still has that suspenseful element.

I'm on chapter 64 of 89 in two hours. xD It's so eerie but hard to stop reading. The art is very interesting because its semi-realistic, and really sets the mood for what the characters see and feel and the aura of darkness. Has anyone else read it?

What are some other horror/scary/creepy/suspensful manga that you like? :3

Bane Rie
The Mad Writer
Send a message via MSN to Bane Rie Send a message via Yahoo to Bane Rie

Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Oh, I've read a lot of horror manga.

Pet Shop of Horror is a good manga for those who don't like to see much gore, but like to feel creeped out.

Battle Royale is... well, it is VERY scary and disturbing, let us just leave it at that...

Boogiepop Phantom is one of my favorites because it has novels, mangas, a live action film, and an anime series that all tie together. They are all pretty disturbing, but not necessarily terrifying.

Uzumaki needs to be mentioned. That's just FREAKY.

Ghost Hunt is definitely one of my favorites. I recommend this to all.

rouge282
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM

I dont usaly like horror things but i do have this one manga but it is only 3 volumes so really short and its called 'the dreaming' it dosnt sound as scary as yours but its good eniough i couldnt read over the top horrors

DarkxLorelei
Otakuisms are Everywhere~

Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 PM

Higurashi no Naku koro ni
as well as
Umineko no naku koro ni

those are really truly scary, well actually... those are my favorites~

scholar
yes, really

Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 AM

I've read the first two volumes of Ghosttalker's Daydream, which is kind of death/horror, but also very funny at times. The main character is a medium who has a dayjob as a dominatrix; her main weapon is a kind of rope thingie that often wraps itself around her, which makes for very -ahem- interesting art! But I highly recommend it. The stories mostly stand alone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it develops a larger story eventually.

I wonder if Mushishi would count as creepy manga? Most of the stories are beautiful, but many of them have meaningless deaths and tragedies. The one with the pillow, for instance.

Rocket Jump Electro

Old 08-29-2009, 03:42 AM

I never bothered reading past the second manga, but from what I can remember, Sister RED was pretty gory...
I think a girl got decapitated, but it's been so long since I've read it.
And agreed with the girl a few posts above; Higurashi is an awesome series.

DarkxLorelei

Old 08-30-2009, 02:00 AM

@Rocket::

You better agree with me. Higurashi is the creepiest, most twisted series ever... and I love it to death.. XDD hahahahaha. Nothing scarier then thinking your best friends are going to drug you and kill you, and you have to use some disappeared guy's bat to smash in their faces and then you claw out your own throat in a phone booth XDD ahh higurashi <333

aurora26

Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 AM

my favorite is goth.....itz relly weird n all.....but i loved it......
even petshop of horrors waz gud.......
i also like da higurashi series as well......

Rocket Jump Electro

Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkxLorelei View Post
@Rocket::

You better agree with me. Higurashi is the creepiest, most twisted series ever... and I love it to death.. XDD hahahahaha. Nothing scarier then thinking your best friends are going to drug you and kill you, and you have to use some disappeared guy's bat to smash in their faces and then you claw out your own throat in a phone booth XDD ahh higurashi <333
Oh man, that was the best.
You know a series is going to be completely twisted when the opening episode starts out with a guy beating two girls to death with a baseball bat.
I loved the second scenario, with Mion and Shion. That was freaking INSANE.

chiiruchan
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM

It's a very hard to find manga now seeing as it's out of print, but if you can find Senno Knife's "Mantis Woman" it is really good. Just be warned Senno Knife did a lot of hentai series... so don't be surprised if it pops up looking it up. @_@ I'd check Amazon or Ebay to try and avoid finding it as much as possible. Mantis Woman is not hentai... but it is scary and creepy.

Also, Vampire Princess Miyu (another out of print manga) is great. It is easily found on places like Amazon and Ebay as well. The TV series is out of print (It was put out by TokyoPop) but I think the 4 episode OVA is still out by AnimEigo.

DarkxLorelei

Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jump Electro View Post
Oh man, that was the best.
You know a series is going to be completely twisted when the opening episode starts out with a guy beating two girls to death with a baseball bat.
I loved the second scenario, with Mion and Shion. That was freaking INSANE.
Oh man! You better believe it. Shion ish a crazy person :3
even the new Series of Umineko is insane XDD
You get candy-filled people, with guts hanging out X3

Anything by 07th Expansion is amazing and wonderful!

TheNena
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 AM

Boogiepop Phantom for the WIN! Seriously! Check it out! Ergo Proxy is pretty interesting too. I found the Boogiepop Phantom Boxset super cheap. I think I got 6 discs with the movie for something like $25? It was a steal! BP is sort of hard to explain. I'll try though...

Picture a pillar of light, ok? From the ground into the sky. Now, no one knows why it exists, or when it was created or how--but one day, it just showed up. Now there is this girl who caries around a black duffel bag wherever she goes. She changes into an entity called Boogiepop. Also, Boogiepop is searching for a source of evil and I forget what it's called. --You should take note that Boogiepop Phantom is the second installment in the series. The movie explains more but I didn't get much into it since it goes so slowly and since it's so long! Anyway--that's the uniting aspect of BP. The secondary aspect of it goes into that whole thing where anyone can be connected to another person by going through 6 people? There are sub stories and they're all connected and they all have to do with the pillar of light.

I would recommend anyone watching the series on veoh or another online movie preview website before going to purchase the dvd series.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-07-2009, 03:40 PM

I think any manga drawn by Ito Junji is worth reading. They're all extremely creepy. Except maybe for the Frankenstein one, which was probably one of his starting works and basically just followed everything from the original novel and wasn't all that spooky...

I'd recommend Gyo and Uzumaki, and my personal favorite, Lovesick Dead. There are also a lot of ther volumes that are short stories combined together to make one volume, and they're also all creepy to certain degrees. Some of them are a bit confusing to me though...I don't get the creepiness of the story at times ^_^; But still good reads, especially if you'd like to be creeped out by the artwork. Very creepy. The characters look normal enough (and are actually pretty beautiful/handsome/hot) until the terror settles in and then they get all distorted...in a really disturbing way. >___>;

LaVida
On Semi-Hiatus
Penpal

Old 09-12-2009, 08:14 PM

hmm, well, I really liked Mail and Kusoragi Corpse Delivery Service. There's also Spiral by Uzumaki.

[Note to self: Watch Higurashi]

TempusBliss
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM

People mentioned Ito and Higurashi: When they Cry...

Now, if you want a good horror survival manga, try the works of Fujisawa Yuki. He created the manga BioMeat - Nectar and El-El...

And I'm re-reading the BM - Nectar and it still gives me the shivers...

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Ooh, yeah, BM is pretty creepy D: I'd hate to be eaten alive by those buggers...

There's also one that's not too creepy for me, but might be for someone else; Franken Fran. I forgot who the mangaka is and the release dates are slow on onemanga, but it's pretty fun to read. It's got some gory/monster scenes in it.

sevie
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 PM

I love Pet shop of horrors.
Also i adore the zombie manga High School of the Dead. n_n
And there was a real creepy one called Spiral. o_o i read it and was all. O_O Holy.. D: It was soooooo good tho!! The art was amazing. Pretty realistic which made it 100% creepier