Lady_Megami
The monster under your bed.....

Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 AM

Has anyone ever tried the SAI program? I downloaded the free trail and Loved it! Although my trail period is now over and if I want to continue to use it I have to purchase it... it is only 5250 yen..which translates to about 50$ in US dollars..not a lot for an art program, but then again you don't have to pay for the box. You just download it.

Another program I like is Corel Painter, I got it with my wacom tablet.

You can get a free trail of SAI at: http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

It is worth the download and even worth the money to buy it!

Radioactive~Sheep
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 PM

I use Sumo Paint for all my digital art. Its a free, online version of a photoshop tablet. I absolutely love it, its so simple to use and what amazing peices of art you can achive there. I normally don't limit myself to one genre in digital art but my favourite medium would definately be pixel art. I love playing around with pixels, its something that I have always enjoyed. At the moment I am just honing my skills, trying to improve the self taught basis I managed to create.

Deletris
The cookie stealer >:D

Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 AM

adobe photoshops aren't too user friendly and weren't meant for painting in the first place x3 I'd use them for texture, backgrounds, and line art ^^ I want to recommend Paint Tool SAI

LOLmusic!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 AM

At my school, we have to take art. I like our art because we use so many things like oil pastels and clay. The problem with our art program is that sometimes, our teacher doesn't make sure that we have learned something. But one cool thing is that you can get awards for youth art month or if you enter contests. i like those and i have actually won a distinguished artist award. My favorite part about our art program though, is art club. you can join if you want to. it goes beyond just art class, we use foam, copper enameling and different kinds of paints. Art club is really awesome thanks to that. we also sometimes hang up our art around the school for show. i like that since i am good at art but i would hate it if i wasn't too good. ♪♫

mishi-hime
Drow Elf Priestess

Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Which art programs do you use? Which don't you like? Why?
adobe photoshop, cs2 adobe illustrator, manga studio ex
Quote:
What are the pros and cons of each of them?
pro theyre the best and cover pretty much anything i need to do
con theyre really expensive to get a legit copy
Quote:
What do you use to mimic traditional styles? Pixel? CG in general
Its fairly easy to paint in photoshop. just pick a more natural brush and adjust the flow.
Quote:
What are some techniques or tricks you use?
use a tablet. i bought a wacom (the only awesome brand) bamboo for like 80 bucks. still nothing on a poor college students budget.

Orbis
dancing in the desert blowing up...

Old 02-23-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriKat View Post

• Which art programs do you use? Which don't you like? Why?
  • What are the pros and cons of each of them?
  • What do you use to mimic traditional styles? Pixel? CG in general?
  • What are some techniques or tricks you use?

-i use inkscape, photohop, my hands, learning to use gimp at the moment
i like inkscape and gimp because they are free to own and use. so no monies needed. and i use photoshop when i have access to it.

-i don't really mimic traditional styles i just do what feels right to me.

-i use a lot of layers and masks. if you have access to a pen and tablet that helps a lot.

Drigan
in need of pants

Old 02-26-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
* Which art programs do you use? Which don't you like? Why?
I use Painter 11...
it's simply the most advanced drawing program ever and I love it to make fantasy drawings!

also use Photoshop CS4
..for minor editting... major editting.. & drawing! Gawd still love that!

Comicworks for amazing realistic manga or normal comic pages! Simply the best if
you don't wanna buy tones or hate doing tones in Photoshop (like me..)

sometimes deleter cg Illust becase it's easy.. and quick... not an heavy program at all!

Quote:
* What do you use to mimic traditional styles? Pixel? CG in general?
most of the time I simply do traditional.. (I use markers and pencils and paint..)
but If I wanna mimic traditional styles..
you definitely gotta use Painter 11! has the most awesome and realistic brushes ever!

Quote:
* What are some techniques or tricks you use?
If you're not completely sure about something, like a bodypart
always use references to look at.. not to copy or exactly draw,
but just use pictures on the internet to look how light falls,
how structures look, for muscles and colour ideas!
you learn so much from that :3

NoeleneRose2
RPing is awesome!
Send a message via MSN to NoeleneRose2 Send a message via Yahoo to NoeleneRose2

Old 03-14-2010, 06:38 AM

I was wondering, I'm currently trying out to do banners. And I would like to know which programs I should be using? I currently desgin them in mspaint and save them as a .jpg. But as you can see they are really tiny. *points to the one in her siggy*

I was wondering what else I should be using.

xLilNekox
Neko
Send a message via MSN to xLilNekox

Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I have used Paint.NET, MS-Paint, photoshop elements 8, paint tool SAI and Flash CS4. I really dislike paint.net because although it is free, something just seems.. bleh about it.
Quote:
MS paint is good for pixel but very limited. Flash CS4 is a good animating tool, makes really nice lines, but it takes a lot of work to do shading and the brush size changes with zoom so it can get annoying. Photoshop 8 can be complicated but is a good

Quote:
What do you use to mimic traditional styles? Pixel? CG in general?
well, i draw traditional too. sooo no need to mimic. plus I got a scanner.

Quote:
Well I know how to use the eraser in ms paint to only erase one color so you dont have to ruin your drawing or go through and erase pixel by pixel. i also know how to customize the size of your brush and make your own brushes in a way

Last edited by Kent; 04-03-2010 at 03:11 AM..

AleRae
is Actually a Girl. No, Really(t...
Send a message via MSN to AleRae Send a message via Yahoo to AleRae

Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have used PS7, oC 1.1, oC 4.5+, PS Elements 2, and Corel Painter Essentials 2.

I LOVE oC 4.5+, I liked CPE2, and I hated all the rest. Except MAYBE oC 1.1

Why? See below!

Quote:
oC 4.5+ is easy to use, user friendly, a million and one ways adjustable for style and technique, high quality, and was like a 1/34th of the price of Photoshop ANY model. CPE2 was fun to play around with, but harder to use and kind bleh. It felt gutted.

The rest are either painful to use, not user friendly, or cheap quality.

Quote:
For a sketchy look, I use a 90% opacity thin "pencil" tip. For painting, I use a 45-65% opacity brush with a hard center and a soft outer and high pressure sensitivity. Purty blurry effect, great for watercolor washed look.

Quote:
Uhm.. I make it up on the fly from the vast cess pool that is my brain xD

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 PM

You know what I'd really love? Someone else who uses Sketchbook Pro like I do.

No one even knows this program exists xD

The basic concept of it, is that it makes your stylus respond like a real material would. It emulates art mediums.

So a copic marker really makes lines like a true copic would.

A pencil looks ridiculously realistic... just the smoothest, nicest pencil lines you wish you could get in real life xD

Even the paint isn't the perfectly round or feathered brush of paintbrush.

I really love how all the tools respond how their true counterparts would. It's uber pressure sensitive.

xXastraXx
If you come here... You'll find ...

Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Which art programs do you use? Which don't you like? Why? What are the pros and cons of each of them?
letsee.... I use both photoshop 7.0 and photoshop CS4. Why both? Because I hate the layout in CS photoshops XD I just find a lot of the stuff they put in for convenience sake annoying as heck, and since I haven't figured out how to turn it off, I use photoshop 7 for the heavy drawing work and CS4 for the extra effects like filtering and such, because of course the newer program has more available in that respect.

I use a lot of different programs because each one has its strengths and weaknesses, and using different programs makes up for others' weaknesses.

Generally photoshop is for sketching, I can color in this program, and it is possible to create great digital paintings, however, I find this to be easier to do in other programs like paint tool Sai. I love paint tool sai for coloring because you can blend and just do more with the colors than you can in photohsop simply because this program is specifically geared towards painting, while photoshop is more geared towards editing and fixing photos. However, photoshop is much better for adding filters, textures, and resizing images, so I generally switch between the two programs when coloring- so that i can touch up my drawing as I work.

I suppose it should have been mentioned before my speel on coloring, but I use a program called manga studio EX 4.0 for inking my drawings and creating the final lineart. While drawing with a tablet that has pressure sensitivity, you can create thick and thin lines, but this program has many different pen nibs that will actually correct your lines- automatically making them thick and thin when needed. This gives your inked drawings a professional looking effect while cutting the amount of work you have to do in half.

manga studio EX 4.0 is also a comic making program, so you can choose from over 3000 tones to add to your drawings, you can create panels with a flick of the mouse, and also color pictures.

However, the layout of this program is very confusing, and as I just recently got it, I've yet to actually color anything, so I can't tell you the pros and cons of coloring. So far however, the program seems truly amazing in the areas I have experimented in.

Quote:
What do you use to mimic traditional styles? Pixel? CG in general? What are some techniques or tricks you use?
I use specific brushes in paint tool sai- like the water color brush for example- for a nice paintbrush effect. You can use soft/fuzzy brushes in photoshop as well, however, as I mentioned above, I feel that sai is better for coloring as the brushes and color automatically dilute and blend, providing a more realistic effect.

For every new color, I create a new layer and paint over the ones below- with paint tool sai's automatic blending effect colors get a nice painted look, for photoshop, you'd have to mess with the opacities of brushes.

there's a crapload of other stuff I do too, but I won't get off onto a crazy rant about it.

I also color traditionally- coloring traditionally can create quite a traditional effect XD

I like using prismacolored pencils, chalk pastels, charcoal, whiteout, copics markers.... pretty much whatever I've got lying around. Digital work has specific tools set for you to use, but with real life drawings you can use anything to create the desired effect- the only real limit is your imagination.

xMinkzx
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 PM

oops, didn't see this when I posted my question in the forum.....
my bad XD

Jyunnishi
Jyu-chan

Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 AM

I need a good editing program. I use Gimp at the moment and It kind of annoys me because it's ridiculous and doesn't want to work half the time and the only decent feature it has on it is the airbrush. I can only afford free XD My life is so sad because I'm a potato....:I Anyway I also was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good program and maybe some kind of program that has the pen where you can make it easier to draw. I want to call it a wizard,but I could be mistaken @_@ I have no idea. I'm new to editing my drawings and things. :I help please? ^_^

Kleine Robotik
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM

I use mostly Flash and Illustrator. I occasionally use Photoshop. These are listed in order of preference/how often they are used. For pixel art, Paint+ (I think that's what it's called? I could be confused on that. It might just be regular paint on Win7) because it's basically a hybrid of paint and some very limited photoshop-like operations such as layering and transparency, and more brush options. Essentially, almost anything I would need to do with pixel art in photoshop I can do in Paint+, but then again I don't do a terrible amount of pixel art.

I hate GIMP. For me, it's crap. It's frustrating and not worth my time to dig around the internet looking for how to configure it to my liking.

Flash- I like the smoothness, things come out looking the same as if I had hand-drawn them with a marker. Also, I can turn anything into a .swf at my pleasing.
Illustrator - Eh, a lot like flash, I haven't used it too terribly much so I haven't noticed a lot of differences other than the pen tool.
Photoshop - It's Photoshop. It's the work horse of graphics programs. Everything in PS is absolutely what it is, no fudging or bending or smoothing. For me I find it makes some of my pieces come out a bit more jagged than I'd like, but meh. The filters are good. It's easier to make brushes in PS than Flash depending on what you are turning into a brush.

If I want traditional style, I just use traditional mediums. It's a pretty clear difference between digital and traditional for me. I have to be able to physically feel the medium in my hands for traditional.

Autosave. For the love of all that is good, AUTOSAVE. Don't be crying at 4AM when Flash decides it's going to hiccup.
Make a color pallet.
Explore different levels of opacity for shading with an overlay vs. a darker color at 100% opacity.
Find out what everything does. Experiment with all the different buttons.
Put on some music and just doodle.
Doodle more.
Doodle things without caring about finishing them. Give yourself a timer, like five minutes. When it's done, move on to something else. At the end of doodle time, if you like something, develop it further.
Make sure to take breaks and get away from the computer. Stand back and look at the work. Things look different when you're 4 feet back vs 1 foot away.

/cease ramble

Worth noting, Adobe recently put the download for CS2 up with the serial numbers. It doesn't include flash, but it has plenty of other things to poke around with. Here.
*This does not work on some Macs. Google your OS to see if you are compatible. Or surf the Adobe site and hope they have it somewhere.

Finally-

Want a tablet but think you can't afford one? Check here.

My boyfriend bought me the tablet with the hot keys (6814) for Christmas to replace my old Wacom I'd had since high school that was starting to go by the wayside. Personally, I love this tablet and I can't recommend it enough. It's sturdy, the drawing surface is a bit more grippy than my old wacom (I like this because it feels like I'm drawing on paper vs. sliding around on plastic), the hotkey buttons and stylus are easy to program to your liking, and windows auto updates the drivers for you.

-- Word of caution, if you use it on a computer that also/has previously used another tablet, you might have to disable some of the drivers or you'll freak out the drawing programs. Flash had a hard time until I deleted the old wacom drivers. --

Last edited by Kleine Robotik; 01-17-2013 at 07:34 PM..

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 and MS Paint, currently. I like them because they are... Most easy to use. I have used GIMP, Paint tool SAI and many other programs. I did not like SAI because I found it's interface difficult, and I stopped using GIMP because it took forever to load. But it was a good program, one which I stuck around for a long time (until I got PS that is)

Quote:
Pros: Ms Paint - the fact that it is so easy to create pixels, and use it to crop/do simple edits is what I love about it.
Photoshop - it has great tools and a lot of features, and you have a lot of tutorials on that too ^^

Quote:
I don't mimic traditional styles, because I'm not good at it. I pixel and CG in their respective styles ^^

Quote:
Hmm...
- Always remember to save. Because if it is deleted by any chance then you won't feel like drawing all that heavy work all over again.
- I use a soft shade at the beginning for hair,without drawing individuals because I'm not good at it.
- The color changing trick on Ms Paint, to experiment with different colors and to see what suits best.
- I.. Forgot