ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM

Personally, I'm a big fan of Open Canvas, because it mimics the result of Painter without all of the complications. OC's learning curve is really good. Not to mention its about 5 times cheaper. XP

Magus
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 PM

Adobe ftw :lol:

Theres nothing photoshop can't do that OC or CP can. In the end, i'd rather stick with the jack of all trades.

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Actually, PS sucks for base painting imo. OC works much better with the pressure sensitivity gauge on my tablet.

For special effects and stuff, PS is the tops, but as for just regular cg'ing, I would stick to either OC or painter personally.

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM

ive tried using all three (i read books to use painter and erm.. photoshop and read tutorials for open canvas) and i think of all three OC was MUCH much easier to understand. granted i dont claim to know nearly anything about any of them.. but i mean hell, i read a 2 page tutorial and i can do more then i could reading two full bloody books on the program ^^;;

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-21-2007, 10:21 PM

OC FTW.

Actually, I don't particularly care. OC's compression kind of sucks, but Photoshop has the worst pressure sensitivty. Paitner's all find and dadny until I try to import it somewhere else, and then everytihng farks up.

I'll stick to pencil, lol.

Magus
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 PM

So based on all three, are people just considering what is easier? Or the total quality of the final product? Because no doubt, all three progs produce amazing work.

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 PM

I gave up trying to learn painter yo D8>

I usually work between OC and photoshop. All the manual painting is done in OC and I save it in PSD and import into photoshop for adjustments as I go along :'D.

But yes OC IS MY BABY *O* <3.

bluessence
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 11:43 PM

I'm in love with painter.... I'm always finding new ways to use that program. I've been wanting to try out OC but haven't ever taken the time to get it.

I see so many pretty things done in OC though, I fear I'd probably fail at it though...

Magus
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 AM

Painter and Photoshop also have the feature where you can open up files in the same format (keeping layers etc).

Don't know about OpenCanvas.

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM

XDD you can save open canvas files in OCI (open canvas) or PSD (photoshop) and it can be interchangable with photoshop layers intact and all :P

Painter also opens photoshop files DX

mai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 AM

I have been using oC for years. it's easier to use and understand. even just the small customized brush is great (for older versions). I have tried painter out and must say that I really like the blender tool. sometimes I would switch to painter just for that XD;;; *cheatcheat*. but that's about it about painter for me really. I always ended up using just oC and forgot about painter (like now...).

and yep, like Tirael said, all three programs can open PSD. but I personally like OCI file type, so I can export it to event file at the end *3*

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 AM

I gave up trying to figure out Painter. I deleted the trial before it was up. Dx I do not like very complicated programs. Photoshop--although tricky itself--I got the hang of very quickly. Painter... eegh. Would take me too long, which would require buying it but I don't know if I even like it enough to buy it so I wouldn't buy it 'cause it's too expensive.

Open Canvas on the other hand is love. I want to buy the newest version, but I just don't have the money. D: I also can't find anywhere to download v1.1. So I'm agrivated. The way I color/work would be easier and look better in OC, but I'm sick of having to screencap things because my trial is dead.

mai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 AM

here you go, stilettolover. check out the second post for where to load oC 1.1 ya :3

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 AM

Mm, I'm more comfortable with openCanvas than with Painter. Painter's so confusing! @@ The tools can get super customizable, though, but whenever I use the watercolor, my computer gets really slow. XD;

Claha
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Claha

Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 AM

I haven't tried Painter, but I have both Photoshop and OpenCanvas. I prefer OC for art, and of course stick to PS for making graphics.

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai
here you go, stilettolover. check out the second post for where to load oC 1.1 ya :3
=O!! THANK YOU!

luciole
*^_^*

Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 PM

I want OC so bad.. but its only for PCs! >_<;;;;

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM

openCanvas all the way!

I use version 1.1...but I wish I had one of the higher versions so I can save it in .psd. The sensitivity is beautiful and it's sooo simple to use! :D

Painter...I had a trial. The most confusing thing in the world. T_T I see people drawing gorgeous things...but I just could understand what to do with it. So I trashed it.

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM

XD;; I think the overall consensus here is that painter is nice but freaking hard to use...

I've tried to go through tutorials but they don't explain the very basics.. like... what freaking brush to use :'D and what settings. Because that's what I'm stuck on.

I'm happy enough witht he effects I can get in OC so too lazy to go through the pain and hassle of figuring out painter >3>

Lennifer
*^_^*

Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 PM

I've tried Both and I like both. I like open canvas better, because on painter I was actually waiting for my lines to be drawn for ages after I'd drawn them because it made my computer go slow.

Although, i use photoshop for my art. I like photoshop, But I find the types of brush limiting, and I prefer the styles of brushes and the types on Painter and Open Canvas.

Moon
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't think i've tried Painter. But i've tried PS and OC and ... they are kinda confusing and my art still sucks ((yes i know it's me, not the program xD )) The one i use mostly is The Gimp, but i don't know why, i just got accostumed to it.