Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM

It's a great skill to be able to pull off different styles.. I think we're talking about something slightly different though..

Even when doing those different styles there's always something of yours that remains... it may be in the colors you use.. the lighting... the subject... there's something special about it.

Most artists that are "famous" are very recognizable... for example kinkade is a style in himself by now. It's very different from other painters and recognizable. If I ever go to the front page of DA I can usually recognize a good portion of the artists by their styles. And that's what makes them 'famous'... other artists are namless and just imiations. You don't have to CHANGE your style though. Just make it more yours. Gaia isn't actually -too- opposed to realism. I know a lot of people would love to see realistic renditions of their characters. Make people want YOUR art as opposed to someone else's :3.

I had to take pictures of my paintings at first XD;; but learning a bit of photoshop adjusting helps a lot :3...

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletStratholme
Quote:
Originally Posted by fongmingyun
XD; Lol. I feel so mean - I've been talking completely in a businessperson manner. Ah, I blame Wharton. I dunno, in short - Strath, you've got a shitload of skill. Like I'm talking a titanic-sized heap of skill. But you're not putting it to the right place, I don't think. Gaia doesn't... doesn't really go for realism. Not your fault. but *shrug* Que sera sera.

Also, I've notived, with your paintings, a lot of the way you display them online is via a blurry photo or a MSPain edited piece. Sorry dude, but that's not going to fly in the marketing world. Packaging's as important as product. You'll want those pictures to be clearer and better displayed. That's probably why in real life you have such a huge advantage. I suggest taking photos outside on a sunny day, no flash.

But yeah, PB pretty much as it if you're going to go for fame on Gaia. But really, the only good thing about fame on Gaia is it sometimes lands you some RL commisssions *eheheh.* Or at least, that's my personal reason for doing it.

I should pick up watercolor again. It's been years. X3;
So do you, P. Bombay. :)

Yeah..a lot of them are too friggin ginormous. T_T'' I brought a 24 x 32 to Kinkos and asked the dude to help me scan it in and he gave me this, "uh......" look. T_T''' And then told me I should take a picture of it. So that's what I ended up doing with a lot of paintings, rather than to even try to get em to help, since they charge for computer/scanner use by the minute. x_x'''

I kinda took on a few interesting Gaia commissions because of stuff like weddings. ^^ And birthdays. =^.^=

I dunno I think I'll try to finish these current commissions and then figure out from there what the heck to do commissionwise. Like you said packaging is important, and RL what I do I just shove into a shop at the mall, they go figure out how the hell to display and sell it, and take a cut. But online, I fail at marketing. ^^'
Well, the packaging thing's important. I REALLY hate to admit this, but when I first say you on Gaia - all you had wer those MSPaint edited photos. SO I thought you were an art thief....

Yeah, uh - so, if that doesn't say quality of display is important, nothing does.

You go to art school, right? Any of your friends photo majors? Harass the hell out of them. *what I do, haha* High respolution, SLR photos, tweaked in Photoshop for color balance and all are probably the best way to display work online. Having these good photos means not only a better Gaia sample gallery, but you can build an online portfolio.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 07:52 PM

=/ Any suggestions on trademarks? XD I'm so tempted to do something weird like pop a clown's nose on everyone or something..but that prolly wouldn't float too well..

Though now I kind of want to do a bunch of harlequin clowns or something. o.O'

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 PM

scarlet, do you have an online gallery or something where I could see your work?

...and uh
Quote:
So do you, P. Bombay :D
= ??? *confused*

Anyways, about style not being everything...well, it isn't everything, skill also counts for a lot, but its hard to be famous based on skill alone, because there are many talented artists out there who are as talented or MORE so than you or me.

Being able to do a kinkade-esque style painting is great, and props to you for being able to do it. But as for getting famous off of that? of reproducing a style that someone else does? its hard...really really hard. You could probably be commercially successful doing that, but there's only a correlation, not causation between commercial success and fame.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirael
It's a great skill to be able to pull off different styles.. I think we're talking about something slightly different though..

Even when doing those different styles there's always something of yours that remains... it may be in the colors you use.. the lighting... the subject... there's something special about it.

Most artists that are "famous" are very recognizable... for example kinkade is a style in himself by now. It's very different from other painters and recognizable. If I ever go to the front page of DA I can usually recognize a good portion of the artists by their styles. And that's what makes them 'famous'... other artists are namless and just imiations. You don't have to CHANGE your style though. Just make it more yours. Gaia isn't actually -too- opposed to realism. I know a lot of people would love to see realistic renditions of their characters. Make people want YOUR art as opposed to someone else's :3.

I had to take pictures of my paintings at first XD;; but learning a bit of photoshop adjusting helps a lot :3...
Agreed. If someone is like "i want this general style" they can always look for something cheaper. And suffice to say, I like getting PAID. Haha.

And yeah, I haunt DA, I can recognize most of the work on the front page in DTFs and all, even if I havent seen that specific piece - just because thier styles are so distinct and recognizable.

The way I developed my own style was by working my own personal beliefs, my own personal things-I'm-attracted-to, into a visual format. Helps that I write as a hobby, ehehe.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Yeah, except..I feel weird asking people stuff like that. >.>' It feels funny. >.<' I feel really childish to be doing anime-type paintings, and sure as hell aren't gonna voluntarily just blurt out that I sit around in forums and do paintings of anime things. =/

It's like, really unprofessional. T_T''

>.<'

*face-into-desk* =/

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 07:57 PM

XDD omg XDDDD clown noses... AHHAH XD;;

8D;; I donno it doesn't have to be something drastic... usually style just... comes out... I guess... DX. I personally don't know about my own style but woe says it's recognizable so I'll take her word for it.

But yes. highres good quality photos are a plus O: And getting a gallery helps. I don't think I've seen your DA but if you don't have one I suggest making one?

You don't HAVE to do anime things btw :F... if it's really generic anime that's also going to be hard to sell since there's a LOT of generic anime out there.

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It's fantasy, the second one. I really like the way it flows together. o.O The first is probably more what I would prefer to do, because people are interesting things to paint. ^^ <3

I just haven't gotten much of a chance to do a ton of fantasy. :) Hope to get started on that with these upcoming commissions though. =^.^= Get to finally do a water-nymph type person for Nenya, and an octopus-guy for her too, and Yumehayla's is a really large landscape with a person to the side of it kinda, so I dunno. :) That's kinda why I like doing commissions for forums like this and Gaia; because it gives me opportunity to work outside the usual boring drab of "paint the usual family portrait of 2 kids 2 parents 1 dog" thing.
Yeah, fantasy is always fun to do.

Actually, the large landscape w/ small ass person kinda reminds me of noah-kh's work here: [x]
Its visually pleasing and fantasyesque, without losing any bit of its realism roots.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Re: Quoted thingy--misquoted, gomen.
--------
As far as styles go, the thing is, I don't really have a particular this or that. o.O' If asked to do this style or that, I can probably do it.

But left alone, I just paint realism. I like realism, I like objects I paint to be as close to true as possible. Like, in my head, people aren't particularly thin, or particularly gothic, or anything. They just are as they are.

I dunno. Should I swing one particular way? Do all dark and creepy type paintings and claim it is my "style"? Or do really light bright sparkly things? I can do both, but I don't have a preference really for one or the other, and so I don't particularly favor anything like that. o.o

For me, my preference is for real objects; a tic tac box in my paintings will always be rectangular. Why? Because that's the way the actual object is in real life. No, I didn't use a ref. for it; I've just had a lot of tic tacs before so I know the shape, the feel of it. But the same for everything else. People will always look mostly as they do in real life; not much will be different. I could put thicker eyelashes on them, change their hair, their lips, etc. to make them distinct..but I don't like to do that. It's putting makeup on something that I wish to be as naturalistic and true to life as possible. =/

I don't know how to pick a style, without feeling I've put makeup on something. I don't want the Hollywood beauties, you know? I want real life.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
=/ Any suggestions on trademarks? XD I'm so tempted to do something weird like pop a clown's nose on everyone or something..but that prolly wouldn't float too well..

That would float well in Moma. Haha... Imagine, the Mona Lisa with a clown nose! *sniggers* I like it.

Well, for one, you have your brush stroke. That's something you're always going to have.

You don't have to exagerrate features to have a style. Certain colors you like? etc. Is there certian tupes of clothing you like to wear/draw? You can put that on your characters? My favorite OC has a cross-shaped scar on his face, so I tend to draw thos eon other characters sometimes.

Me, I also have my obsessive compusive disorder. XD But uh, don't think you want that.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
XDD omg XDDDD clown noses... AHHAH XD;;

8D;; I donno it doesn't have to be something drastic... usually style just... comes out... I guess... DX. I personally don't know about my own style but woe says it's recognizable so I'll take her word for it.

But yes. highres good quality photos are a plus O: And getting a gallery helps. I don't think I've seen your DA but if you don't have one I suggest making one?

You don't HAVE to do anime things btw :F... if it's really generic anime that's also going to be hard to sell since there's a LOT of generic anime out there.
T^T I'm retarded and don't know how to make a DA. >.<''''

I had Keli make me a Photobucket thingy, and it seems very simple and easy to use so I use that right now. ^^ Cause I dun like my compy and elaborate stuff confuses my computer and then it gets stuck. =/ And then I have to reboot and I get nowhere. >.<'''

>.> You know...clown noses and gothic makeup would be very, very distinct. XD

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except..I feel weird asking people stuff like that. >.>' It feels funny. >.<' I feel really childish to be doing anime-type paintings, and sure as hell aren't gonna voluntarily just blurt out that I sit around in forums and do paintings of anime things. =/

>.<'

*face-into-desk* =/
I don't think it's unprofessional at all. Some people make their bread and butter by sitting around at a desk drawing anime-style art. And I think anime is slowly losing its Just for Kids image in the states.

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM

hmm You don't have to so much PICK a style for your people... they can vary as much as you want. You can do dark/light/something in between. But inevitably I think your own style WILL come out. It's hard to avoid.

I know in my normal drawing classes my style is very visible even on stillifes... its in the lineweights, the particular way of shading, the stroking, I notice other people do things a bit softer.... exaggerate one thing or another... it's interesting to see the different takes on the same subjects.

Yeah you don't want WOE's OCD XD;; That's just extreme >3>;;

And I do suggest you make a DA. It builds a bit of a fanbase :3. It's not that hard, just sign up and upload some images D'X...

I think we're all happy to help if we can XD;;

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:

>.<'

*face-into-desk* =/
Lol. Then use two marketing strategies per segment. It's like what Black and Decker does, market one way to industrial, another way to everybody else.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That would float well in Moma. Haha... Imagine, the Mona Lisa with a clown nose! *sniggers* I like it.

Well, for one, you have your brush stroke. That's something you're always going to have.

You don't have to exagerrate features to have a style. Certain colors you like? etc. Is there certian tupes of clothing you like to wear/draw? You can put that on your characters? My favorite OC has a cross-shaped scar on his face, so I tend to draw thos eon other characters sometimes.

Me, I also have my obsessive compusive disorder. XD But uh, don't think you want that.
>.>' I only have one "oc" but it's not even really an OC because it's based off our backup butterfly anchor. >.<'''' Like..maybe if he were bi and really enjoyed blue & green clothes. *die*

Hmm. You know what's sad? I think from being taught to be subjective on everything when you paint, I'm in a place where I don't favor one stroke over the other.

Clotheswise, I do have preferences on how I dress characters if I'm given absolute freedom. X3 But it's mostly because I like small details and much folds in clothes..Women end up in slightly 14th century French clothes, and guys end up similar, or in pirate-esque stuff, and if it doesn't suit the background, if I need something simpler, usually things end up looking Greek or Roman. o.o'

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Re: Quoted thingy--misquoted, gomen.
--------
As far as styles go, the thing is, I don't really have a particular this or that. o.O' If asked to do this style or that, I can probably do it.

But left alone, I just paint realism. I like realism, I like objects I paint to be as close to true as possible. Like, in my head, people aren't particularly thin, or particularly gothic, or anything. They just are as they are.

I dunno. Should I swing one particular way? Do all dark and creepy type paintings and claim it is my "style"? Or do really light bright sparkly things? I can do both, but I don't have a preference really for one or the other, and so I don't particularly favor anything like that. o.o

For me, my preference is for real objects; a tic tac box in my paintings will always be rectangular. Why? Because that's the way the actual object is in real life. No, I didn't use a ref. for it; I've just had a lot of tic tacs before so I know the shape, the feel of it. But the same for everything else. People will always look mostly as they do in real life; not much will be different. I could put thicker eyelashes on them, change their hair, their lips, etc. to make them distinct..but I don't like to do that. It's putting makeup on something that I wish to be as naturalistic and true to life as possible. =/

I don't know how to pick a style, without feeling I've put makeup on something. I don't want the Hollywood beauties, you know? I want real life.
If anime isn't for you then it isn't for you. And also, you don't have to make your characters prettier to make your art more popular XD. Lucien Freud got famous for his portraits because he exagerated the folds on people's faces...but thats what made his artwork recognizable and cool

example: [x]

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

>.<'

*face-into-desk* =/
Lol. Then use two marketing strategies per segment. It's like what Black and Decker does, market one way to industrial, another way to everybody else.
?? Black and Decker? Esplain? o.O

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:13 PM

XDD I also have NO OCs of my own :3 I just draw whatever I want when I want... usually making them up on the spot... don't let it bother you, it's not really a big issue O:

And you said it. You do have perferences if you do whatever you want...

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:13 PM

>.> I'll try to get better scans of the ones under 24 inches wide. I think I can get the girl down the hall to do it mebies. She's like the only one that might possibly understand. >.<'' Do you have any idea what kind of hell I'd be in if my roommies found Chii & Freya paintings in mah room. x___X' No I can't ask dem. =/

What's so diff between DA and photobucket?

Godses, argh... >.<' Her suitemate scares me. >.<''''''

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyBombay

If anime isn't for you then it isn't for you. And also, you don't have to make your characters prettier to make your art more popular XD. Lucien Freud got famous for his portraits because he exagerated the folds on people's faces...but thats what made his artwork recognizable and cool

example: [x]
XD Pruny people! XD Looks kind of interesting though. :)

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM

XDDD ahaha 8D;;; @ the roomates thing.

Well, DA allows you to... comment on things and build a fanbase? People can watch you and see whenever you post new things and also comment on your art. If you're going for recognition then it's a good way to start... It's an art -community- not just a private gallery to link people to.

Some people don't like it but it does have its uses. I usually just use my photobucket for hosting hotlinked images.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
>.> I'll try to get better scans of the ones under 24 inches wide. I think I can get the girl down the hall to do it mebies. She's like the only one that might possibly understand. >.<'' Do you have any idea what kind of hell I'd be in if my roommies found Chii & Freya paintings in mah room. x___X' No I can't ask dem. =/

What's so diff between DA and photobucket?

Godses, argh... >.<' Her suitemate scares me. >.<''''''
Your friends sound like jerkwads, then. I'd just say "Suck it up, I'm diversifying." XD

Oh, and DA is... more presitgious than photobucket? Cuz photobucket is, like, where you dump art for hotlinking to other sites, where people upload photoos of thier vacation weekend ot show friends, etc. DA's meant ot be a gallery.

And OCs aren't necessary - I just menat that's how I did things because my OCs tie into my personlity traits. And suffice to say, an OC's not just about looks.

Black and Decker make a shitload of appliances from the stuff used on industril worksites to food processors 1950s moms use at home. THey market different products in different fashions - different commercials for each group, etc.

I mean, did you know that Lexus is a sub-brand of Toyota? Like, Toyota is one of those reliable efficient cars but Lexus is luxury - but it's all in how they're marketing and to whome they're marketed.

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM

yeahh, and nissan has Infinity

...and Ford has volvo, jaguar, land rover, and used to have aston martins. o.o

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Well, DA allows you to... comment on things and build a fanbase? People can watch you and see whenever you post new things and also comment on your art. If you're going for recognition then it's a good way to start... It's an art -community- not just a private gallery to link people to.

Some people don't like it but it does have its uses. I usually just use my photobucket for hosting hotlinked images.
Cookie-Girl's suitemate is very scary. >.>' She's like on soccer team or something. The girl that's down the hall, she brought our suite some cookies once, and we were all, "thanks, they're great blah blah" but like, really truly none of us knew her name so we just kind of left it out. And then when her roommate came over (she likes watching hockey) and asked us if Andrea was a good cook, none of us were thinking very well and my roommate blurted out, "Who's Andrea?" and since then, soccer-girl has been like, "hissssss!!" @ all of us all the time. x_x'''

I still don't know soccer-girl's name, but then again it's not like they knew mine either you know? x.x'' I mean, for crying outloud, Cookie-Girl calls me laundry-boy because she always comes to me for quarters for laundry in exchange for dollars. I'm like..a quarter machine? =/

Not sure on the fanbase thing, but as far as comments go..meh. Some people if I've seen their work and they know my media, I'd be more than happy to hear from em, but at the same time, I don't really know if I want a ton of random comments? x.x'

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Cookie-Girl's suitemate is very scary. >.>' She's like on soccer team or something. The girl that's down the hall, she brought our suite some cookies once, and we were all, "thanks, they're great blah blah" but like, really truly none of us knew her name so we just kind of left it out. And then when her roommate came over (she likes watching hockey) and asked us if Andrea was a good cook, none of us were thinking very well and my roommate blurted out, "Who's Andrea?" and since then, soccer-girl has been like, "hissssss!!" @ all of us all the time. x_x'''

I still don't know soccer-girl's name, but then again it's not like they knew mine either you know? x.x'' I mean, for crying outloud, Cookie-Girl calls me laundry-boy because she always comes to me for quarters for laundry in exchange for dollars. I'm like..a quarter machine? =/
Well, girls.. .tend not ot be very happy when you forget thier names. :sweat: But that has nothing ot correlate with anime...? I know a lot of art shcools that are actually fitting anime into thier curreiculums, though.

Haha. I go home to do my laundry. It saves money, and I get a home cooked meal out of it.