Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Weeelll like woe said DA is more of an official gallery type thing than photobucket O: but I know some artists just keep an official photobucket gallery too, it's really up to you but you automatically get more people who see and know your art if you put up a DA :'D... you can just ignore the random comments and nutbags. There will always be nutbags.

I abuse the vending machines for my quarters >w>;;

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongmingyun
Your friends sound like jerkwads, then. I'd just say "Suck it up, I'm diversifying." XD

Oh, and DA is... more presitgious than photobucket? Cuz photobucket is, like, where you dump art for hotlinking to other sites, where people upload photoos of thier vacation weekend ot show friends, etc. DA's meant ot be a gallery.

And OCs aren't necessary - I just menat that's how I did things because my OCs tie into my personlity traits. And suffice to say, an OC's not just about looks.

Black and Decker make a shitload of appliances from the stuff used on industril worksites to food processors 1950s moms use at home. THey market different products in different fashions - different commercials for each group, etc.

I mean, did you know that Lexus is a sub-brand of Toyota? Like, Toyota is one of those reliable efficient cars but Lexus is luxury - but it's all in how they're marketing and to whome they're marketed.
Well, they're not exactly jerks persay, they just have more serious goals when it comes to art?

They don't "whore" themselves out for money. I dunno, it's kinda frowned upon that I just paint whatever people tell me to, cause RL commissions help..but you know, unlike them, my parents aren't paying jack for my college. =/ It's not like I didn't try to get a normal job, I did--but I have a stupid amount of credit hours I'm carrying, to try to get through school faster and thus save more tuitionwise..and as a result the only hours I have up to offer for part time jobs are really weird hours like 8p.m. till 2a.m. and no really sane job does that.

I tried bartending, but then after about a month and a half I decided to quit cause sooner or later someone would prolly find my ID's not entirely real. =/ T_T''

So yeah, I do commissions rather than invent my own art all the time, do entirely my peices 24/7..but sooomething has to pay the bills you know? They don't pay themselves. =/ But if I were all, "Yeah I do paintings for fun that are all cartoony animestyle" I dunno. x_x'''

As to two diff types...so like, separate realism from anime? Or? How?

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Oooh! Cookie-Girl likes Disney cartoons (she has pooh slipper things) and she also does some art, though I think she does compy stuff, but I don't quite remember what type specifically, cause we're all art majors, so you know, going, "What's your major?" doesn't make sense, so instead we say, "Any projects you workin' on? How's it coming?" so on so forth, but because everytime it's usually the soccer chick that comes around and we're usually eating stuff and watching the hockey games, we don't really hear much from Cookie-Girl, we just hear sometimes from her roommate. o.O' I'm not very good at multitasking, can't remember much from times when I've had to chew food, swallow food, watch TV, and hold conversation. XD

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirael
Weeelll like woe said DA is more of an official gallery type thing than photobucket O: but I know some artists just keep an official photobucket gallery too, it's really up to you but you automatically get more people who see and know your art if you put up a DA :'D... you can just ignore the random comments and nutbags. There will always be nutbags.

XD I pay for stuff in dollars then hoard change because of parking meters, laundry quarters, snack machines, and coke machines. X3 And recently our school installed 6 new coffee vending things. It's weird as hell. It makes coffee. o.o' From...a machine. XD <3 I love science.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletStratholme
Quote:
Your friends sound like jerkwads, then. I'd just say "Suck it up, I'm diversifying." XD

Oh, and DA is... more presitgious than photobucket? Cuz photobucket is, like, where you dump art for hotlinking to other sites, where people upload photoos of thier vacation weekend ot show friends, etc. DA's meant ot be a gallery.

And OCs aren't necessary - I just menat that's how I did things because my OCs tie into my personlity traits. And suffice to say, an OC's not just about looks.

Black and Decker make a shitload of appliances from the stuff used on industril worksites to food processors 1950s moms use at home. THey market different products in different fashions - different commercials for each group, etc.

I mean, did you know that Lexus is a sub-brand of Toyota? Like, Toyota is one of those reliable efficient cars but Lexus is luxury - but it's all in how they're marketing and to whome they're marketed.
Well, they're not exactly jerks persay, they just have more serious goals when it comes to art?

They don't "whore" themselves out for money. I dunno, it's kinda frowned upon that I just paint whatever people tell me to, cause RL commissions help..but you know, unlike them, my parents aren't paying jack for my college. =/ It's not like I didn't try to get a normal job, I did--but I have a stupid amount of credit hours I'm carrying, to try to get through school faster and thus save more tuitionwise..and as a result the only hours I have up to offer for part time jobs are really weird hours like 8p.m. till 2a.m. and no really sane job does that.

I tried bartending, but then after about a month and a half I decided to quit cause sooner or later someone would prolly find my ID's not entirely real. =/ T_T''

So yeah, I do commissions rather than invent my own art all the time, do entirely my peices 24/7..but sooomething has to pay the bills you know? They don't pay themselves. =/ But if I were all, "Yeah I do paintings for fun that are all cartoony animestyle" I dunno. x_x'''

As to two diff types...so like, separate realism from anime? Or?

How?
Lol. I hate artists who think that doing stuff for pay isn't the meaning of art - well, it's not, but if you want to be a serious artist, part of being serious is turning your art into a career. Well, they'll get thier asses kicked in the future, that's for certain.

Most of us do it - separation. I have seen PB's realism. It makes my jaw drop and want to shoot myself, and I've done my fair share of realism as well. But all you see online is anime. When I portfolio review for say, more 'arsty' things, I'll take those figure drawings, those still lifes - all that FRUIt, lol - with me. If you can do everything - just show people waht they want to see - and you can please every group of people.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

XD I pay for stuff in dollars then hoard change because of parking meters, laundry quarters, snack machines, and coke machines. X3 And recently our school installed 6 new coffee vending things. It's weird as hell. It makes coffee. o.o' From...a machine. XD <3 I love science.
I go to a richbitch school.

I've made like, thirty bucks picking quarters off the ground.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

O____O!! ZOMG!! T____T

30 bucks would pay for my ramen supply for 15 days! *gaspeth-cry*

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh sweet. *3*

No free quarters on the ground here >__> darn pigeons and squirrels probably already found them and ferreted them away. haha.

And yeah, great point about separation between different styles of art. C:
I hate it when people label me as an anime artist and then just assume that I can't draw realism XD

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Lol. I hate artists who think that doing stuff for pay isn't the meaning of art - well, it's not, but if you want to be a serious artist, part of being serious is turning your art into a career. Well, they'll get thier asses kicked in the future, that's for certain.

Most of us do it - separation. I have seen PB's realism. It makes my jaw drop and want to shoot myself, and I've done my fair share of realism as well. But all you see online is anime. When I portfolio review for say, more 'arsty' things, I'll take those figure drawings, those still lifes - all that FRUIt, lol - with me. If you can do everything - just show people waht they want to see - and you can please every group of people.
Well..maybe it is kind of bad, because you really don't get to express just what you wish to, when you're asked to do something else, you know? But..at the same time, there's like a large reality-check too. =/ But some of them come from rather wealthy families...so yeah..basically it almost doesn't matter if they never sell a thing in their life. -_o''

Hmm. So realism vs. anime? o.O I could prolly do that split. XD I dun like painting fruit anymore. Not unless it's really interesting fruit that is entirely fantasy and gobbles up toads or something. >.>' Got really, really sick of painting apples and oranges and bananas after like years and years of it.

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM

LoL >_> I think a lot of people go through a ton of fruit... fruit... and more fruit...

Very very very few artists are able to draw what they want and sell it. Most have to work by commission or contract or whatnot... it's a business D8>. If people think that's not really 'art' well... screw them XD;;

You CAN do that split if you want. But you mentioned that you're more of a natural realistic artist... you can just stick with that :F You don't have to do anime styled things if you don't like it. Sometimes it's more of a subject split... like maybe fantasy verses more boring portraits for your customers etc.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well..maybe it is kind of bad, because you really don't get to express just what you wish to, when you're asked to do something else, you know? But..at the same time, there's like a large reality-check too. =/ But some of them come from rather wealthy families...so yeah..basically it almost doesn't matter if they never sell a thing in their life. -_o''

Hmm. So realism vs. anime? o.O I could prolly do that split. XD I dun like painting fruit anymore. Not unless it's really interesting fruit that is entirely fantasy and gobbles up toads or something. >.>' Got really, really sick of painting apples and oranges and bananas after like years and years of it.
Well, you can always do fun pieces on the side, you know? I always reserve myself one personal piece per month. Or at least, I try to.

Yeah, it's like making a demo reel. You basically have all your stock stuff and then, depending on which job you're applying for, you take what you think they would wnat to see and then put it on the one you send them. I mean, you don't have to split entirely. You just have to slant what you show a person so that it whets thier palette for more of your work.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
LoL >_> I think a lot of people go through a ton of fruit... fruit... and more fruit...

Very very very few artists are able to draw what they want and sell it. Most have to work by commission or contract or whatnot... it's a business D8>. If people think that's not really 'art' well... screw them XD;;

You CAN do that split if you want. But you mentioned that you're more of a natural realistic artist... you can just stick with that :F You don't have to do anime styled things if you don't like it. Sometimes it's more of a subject split... like maybe fantasy verses more boring portraits for your customers etc.
I had to tell a story with an apple - that was fun.

I like fruit. It comes in fun colors and easy shapes, lol. Fabric on the other hand... death of me. DX

I love how like, a lot of artists are liek "down with the maaan" "you're selling ouuuut"... yeah, uh... *cough* REALITY CHECK MUCH?!

And it tastes good?

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM

X3 hehe. Yeah. Prollies will try that. :)

Though you know....the only thing that really make me annoyed with fruit was that it's like calc II--you NEVER ever use it in your whole life after that. Ever. No use whatsoever. -.o''' Such a stupid waste of time for them to force you to paint fruit forever and ever and ever. >.<' So boring too.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Though you know....the only thing that really make me annoyed with fruit was that it's like calc II--you NEVER ever use it in your whole life after that. Ever. No use whatsoever. -.o''' Such a stupid waste of time for them to force you to paint fruit forever and ever and ever. >.<' So boring too.
ARE YOU DISSING CALC!?!? :x :evil: :x

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 PM

XD;; I actually like fabric more >3>... you can sorta make it up more... no one really notices if it's not a perfect representation as long as you get the general shapes and how fabric works.

Fruit helps you understand general shapes and shading/colors etc 8D;; so it does have its uses.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM

I think my last piece I did just for me was back over Christmas-ish or so, for our restroom. ^^'''

My parents got a new house and so I asked that they save some space for me, and I started with the downstairs restroom. Did three lil pieces that are kind of a window for a bigger scene..which seemed like a good idea at the time cause I've done something similar before..but this was the first time I had to try to position it and nail the nails in the right place so that when the pieces were hung the picture seemed correct. It was such a pain in the ass. x_x'''

Will probably stick to singular pieces instead in the future. ^^'

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I dislike calculus, and I've never been asked a calculus question when buying say, a gallon of milk. o.O' Nor will I ever be an engineer or anything that needs calculus, but I have to take it and it sucks. x_x'''

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I dislike calculus, and I've never been asked a calculus question when buying say, a gallon of milk. o.O' Nor will I ever be an engineer or anything that needs calculus, but I have to take it and it sucks. x_x'''
:p Engineers are pwn.

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Why do you have to take it? O_o you're an art major right? hrmm.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
XD;; I actually like fabric more >3>... you can sorta make it up more... no one really notices if it's not a perfect representation as long as you get the general shapes and how fabric works.

Fruit helps you understand general shapes and shading/colors etc 8D;; so it does have its uses.
=/ Well...ok ok, maybe like...6 months of fruit is enough though. x_x' Unless...the student's really really really unable to draw apple or orange. x.x'

But like, from about the 6th month's fruit till the last month of fruit, I didn't improve. T_T'' I have like zero attention span for fruit. >.<'

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My parents are letting me be art major only because it's a second major. ^^' My actual "first" major I guess, is Biochemistry. /twitch

At our school you can either have a major, a minor, or two majors, or whatever, but you need at least one major one minor. For me I'm double majoring in Biochem and Art, and considering a minor in English. ^^' Prolly ditching the English though. Originally Art was a minor, and I was aiming for double minor single major, but I don't like English as much as I like painting, so I'm considering ditching English, except English is really useful. =/ So I dunno. x_x' If I keep all three though I can't graduate early. And I'm broke enough as is. =/

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My parents are letting me be art major only because it's a second major. ^^' My actual "first" major I guess, is Biochemistry. /twitch

At our school you can either have a major, a minor, or two majors, or whatever, but you need at least one major one minor. For me I'm double majoring in Biochem and Art, and considering a minor in English. ^^' Prolly ditching the English though. Originally Art was a minor, and I was aiming for double minor single major, but I don't like English as much as I like painting, so I'm considering ditching English, except English is really useful. =/ So I dunno. x_x' If I keep all three though I can't graduate early. And I'm broke enough as is. =/
Biochem? Daaaamn. :o Good stuff.

If art's not your only major why does it seem like everyone you live with is artsy? o.O ARe you on a concentrated floor?

"What do you do with a BA in English? What is my life going to be? I can't pay the bills yet, 'cause I have no skills yet. What do I do with this useless degreeeeeee....?"
~ Avenue Q.

I'm Comp Sci. We don't like English majors, lol.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Yesh. I'm on a floor that's a lil more artsy than most because a lot of the people here knew one another one way or the other, and I know a few of them and we all tried to get dorms in the same building. We have some overlapping classes/studios, etc. and sometimes see one another at art shows etc. The result is about two and a half floors of artsy people and a few random artsy people scattered above too. We picked this building primarily because it is the closest to the studios, and when it's snowing or hailing or something outside, it's nice for the walk from here to studio to be very short.

yeah...biochem sucks, is boring, blah blah..but it's necessary I guess. =*(

galy
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 03-24-2007, 04:46 PM

oh baby a name is everything on gaia... for some reason

a lot of times i'd see names everywhere and when i got around to actually seeing the person's work i'd say to myself - " is that it? D: "

i guess being friends with someone who's really good/famous helps someone who is mediocre/not so good get noticed too. i know i have seen that a lot.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM

<-- *too lazy to be bothered with connections/networking...just pesters friendly people, and then eats snacks, and gets sleepy from so much food*