sars
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via Yahoo to sars

Old 04-04-2007, 08:11 AM

I am sorry to say that I am a closet lover of what I like to call "Fluff reads".

I am usually a lover of high fantasy (robert jordan, clive barker, Tolkein ect) or horror (Stephen king, most notably) and comedy (terry pratchett, douglas adams) But I have become completley obsessed with the most girly books EVER!
Well maybe not quite "the most girly books ever" I mean, I'm not talking Harlequin Romance novels here...
More what I mean are books like "Trading Up" and "4 Blondes" by Candace Bushnell, "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Everyone worth knowing" by Lauren Weisberger and so on and so forth.
I picked up my first one in the height of my love of the TV show Sex and the City- I read Bushnells "trading up" and got hooked!
I explain it to myself as "reading an episode of SATC"

Today at Chapters, I browsed the bargain books and got 5 'fluff reads' for $25!!! OMG! most amazing deal EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they're all by authors I've never heard of before... I just started reading one called "Adventures of an ice princess" by Liz Maverick.... heres the synopsis:

"Clarissa Schneckberg wasn't ready to leave her silicon valley job, get dumped by her longtime boyfriend, and move back in with her parents. She's officially pathetic. And her prospects are dim. At least thats how they look from under the covers of her childhood bed...

But just when her life seems to be heading south, Clarissa decides to head REALLY south- To Antarctica, to be exact! With her best friends, Delilah and Kate, she's ready to make the trek and sign up for some rough and tough jobs... even though none of them has yet to live through a winter without fuzzy slippers and fake fur. After all, the male-to-female ratio at the south pole is something like four-to-one. It's definetly time to shop for some new underwear. Long underwear, that is.

It's an amorous adventure Clarissa would be sane to pass up. But for this snow angel, sanity has outlived its usefulness..."

yeah. A nice, easy fluff read.
PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one!
Talk about fluffs YOU'VE read, recommend some favorites! Steer me clear of flops!!

Join the "We Luff Fluff" club!!!!!! :wink:

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 AM

I too like a lot of fantasy/sci fi books but I have to admit that I read a lot of Nora Roberts too. I don't classify them as flowery romance novels but yet they kind of are since the lead character is almost always female. She always finds herself in some mystery and she always meets the man of her dreams while discovering something about herself.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Chick lit! Yeah, I enjoy them and they are totally fluffy. In fact, that's always been the word I've used to describe them! I usually get a chick lit book at least once a month from the library to read, especially if I've just finished reading something very long, epic, dramatic, or heavy. Meg Cabot's the author that comes to my mind most when I think of it. I want to read "Devil Wears Prada." I couldn't remember who the author was last time I was there, though, and didn't have time to wait for one of the computers to open up so I could check the card catalogue.

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 04-04-2007, 05:02 PM

I lovelovelove Meg Cabot! I love the Princess Diaries (so much better than the movies make them seem--and I love how Cabot makes fun of them in her books) but I like all of Cabots books. They're easy to read, easy to relate to--she writes about the everygirl--and more witty than people really give her credit for.

I also loved the Traveling Pants series. T_T Despite being a book about teens, it's definitally more geared towards 20 somethings. Teens will get it, but someone my age (mid twenties) looking back at high school... it's one of those "T__T Oh yeah... I remember this stuff..." And the series ended really well. I didn't know she was doing a fourth book!

And it's not chick lit, but I love the Magic Kindom series by Terry Brooks. It's sort of fluffy reading. xD Not very serious.

sars
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 PM

So two of you mentioned Meg Cabot, I guess I'll have to check her out!

You know, the bookstore would be really helpful if they had a section for "Chick Lit".... that would RULE!

I might have to check out Nora Roberts too... I've SEEN enough of her books around, but never actually picked one up!

Also, I'm so glad I'm not the only intelligent female who falls victim to these juicy, gossipy, fluffy reads!

*does a little dance* yay!

I knocked off 6 chapters before my eyes closed on me last night, haha. Its a cute little book so far.

jazzkitteh
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sars
So two of you mentioned Meg Cabot, I guess I'll have to check her out!

You know, the bookstore would be really helpful if they had a section for "Chick Lit".... that would RULE!

I might have to check out Nora Roberts too... I've SEEN enough of her books around, but never actually picked one up!

Also, I'm so glad I'm not the only intelligent female who falls victim to these juicy, gossipy, fluffy reads!

*does a little dance* yay!

I knocked off 6 chapters before my eyes closed on me last night, haha. Its a cute little book so far.
Chick Lit would be awesome. Though you would be suprised how many guys I know that read things that are designed for woman xD

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Ugh. I dislike Nora Roberts. It's a bit TOO fluffy for me. xD It's more romance novel than anything else.

Honestly, if my mom reads it, it's not something you want to read. LOL. My mother has terrible taste in literature.

sars
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettolover
Ugh. I dislike Nora Roberts. It's a bit TOO fluffy for me. xD It's more romance novel than anything else.

Honestly, if my mom reads it, it's not something you want to read. LOL. My mother has terrible taste in literature.
Hmmm, generally I don't like romance... like, a little bit is ok....but like... yeah. I don't like it to be overly...... romantic haha

I like silly hijinks between the characters.... and like... yeah.

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 AM

Dead and Unwed by MaryJanice...Davidson, I think?

It's like a ditzy blond chick lit book crossed with a vampire book. Highly fluffy, but entertaining and light and well worth checking out from the library. A great fluff read.

Meg Cabot is great, and works well for most ages. I enjoy her books, too, and I'm not a teen either. XD

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-06-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettolover

LOL! My daughter probably thinks the exact same thing :)

You are right though. Some of her stuff is rather fluffy but they are quick reads. I also recently read The Book of Big Ideas and The Cotton Queen. Both were good and fairly quick reads. Of course they both deal with family secrets and relationships between family and/or mother/daughter. My daughter just rolls her eyes at me :lol:

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Tamerthanthou

Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachesia
Dead and Unwed by MaryJanice...Davidson, I think?

It's like a ditzy blond chick lit book crossed with a vampire book. Highly fluffy, but entertaining and light and well worth checking out from the library. A great fluff read.

Meg Cabot is great, and works well for most ages. I enjoy her books, too, and I'm not a teen either. XD
She has another series, since I believe that is one, I'm not sure thought. The other series is actually quite amusing, although I'm sure it's classified as a romance series. Anyway, it's about the Alaskan royal family.

Yup...

The Alaskan royal family.

She set it in this alternate universe where Russia never sold Alaska to the US (I think that's how we got Alaska) and they just let it become a country. I believe there are two of the books out, but there might be a third. Anyway, from the two I've read, they're really amusing and good, light, fluff reads.

My personal favorite light, fluff reads, however happen to be the flower series by Lauren Willig. I'm not sure that's the real name since the last book wasn't about a flower or at least it's title wasn't, but whatever. The series is based on spies during the Napoleanic Wars, all of whom go by flowery names similar to the Scarlet Pimpernel. In fact, one was the Scarlet Pinpernel's protege. And although these too are a bit romancy, not as much as the aforementioned Mary Janice Davidson series, you also learn a bit of history from them, which I think is a plus since I don't feel too bad about reading such fluff.