Rainbow Carrot
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 PM

Ah, love her. She's awesome. Storm Constantine is my favourite author so far. She makes reading more than enjoyable; she makes it a must! She's a fantasy writers that I wouldn't recommend for most. Her tales may include hermaphrodites, homosexual relations, and incest. Personally, I like homosexuality, but could go without the hermaphrodites and incest. If one's not so immature to let it bother them, though, the stories are well worth it.

The first of her books I read was The Sea Dragon Heir(Book are underlined, right?). I read it in 8th grade and loved it. My mother had bought it for me for Christmas because it had "dragon" in the title and on the cover and she knew I liked them. She wouldn't have cared about the sexuality in it even if she knew it was there.

I set aside another book I was reading to finish it and was greatly disappointed when it ended, thinking it didn't have any other after it. I've always been a fan of fantasy and her world just delighted me greatly. The characters are beautiful and tragic and through them she twisted my emotions like a wash rag.

A few years later, while I was looking up books at the library, I types in her name and found a single book: The Crown of Silence. In the description it listed it as the book that followed The Sea Dragon Heir. I read the first 8 chapters in only a few hours. I generally take my time with books, but couldn't help myself. After I finished that book, I found and bought the third, The Way of Light.

My favourite is the second, mainly because it talks more about Taropat and Tayven, two of my favourite characters. I also like the journey they venture on to find the crown.

I could try to give a summary, but it's better for one to read it. I don't think my summaries will do the books justice. Now that I own all of The Magrivandias Chronicles, I'm going back and reading them again.

I also have Wraeththu: The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure(I think it's spelled), but haven't finished it. It's interesting so far and I need to pull myself away from the internet long enough to finish it.

There's also The Thorn Boy, which I own as well. It's a collection of short storied starting with The Thorn Boy, a tale about a captive of war and the king's favourite concubine. Following that are other lovely tales, some based off of others such as Rumplestiltzkin(However you spell it. O.o).

There's one story that tells of a lonely man who seems to have no luck with women. Then, one night, his cat is turned to a woman and he makes her his lover. At first he expects her animalistic behavior, but he eventually scolds her for an act at a group dinner, causing even her to leave him.

So~ Have you read any books by Storm Constantine?
What did you like or dislike?
Have any favourite characters?

Hollie
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 AM

I haven't heard of her, but she sounds just up my ally.

I will look her up when I hit the bookstore next time.

Rainbow Carrot
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-17-2007, 02:14 AM

You ought to, but even the biggest book stored around don't carry her books. D: She's very good, but not well known.

Sedge
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to Sedge

Old 04-17-2007, 04:27 AM

• So far, I've read all 7 of her Wraeththu books, which are some of my favorite.

It's kind of hard to find her books offline, though. So far, I've only seen the omnibus edition of the first Wraeththu trilogy and Ghosts of Blood and Innocence. And you can just forget about the library. The Anne Rice is always plentiful, though. D:

The fact that she not only encourages fanfiction, but has published some makes her 10 kinds of awesome. Especially since certain other fantasy authors I like aren't so cool with it. >.>

My favorite character of her's would have to be Diablo, from the last two books of the Wraeththu series. He's so tragic and messed up, but that doesn't stop people from ignoring him entirely, except to call him gross. He's just not tragic and messed up in the way Cal is. That is, he's not super HAWRT. D:

Also, he's like every ghost in every Asian horror film ever, and that's cool with me. :3