(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimiix
awwww.. i really love this kind to read ^o^
I really want to read all the books mentioned here O_O
but but.. we have other titles i think..*starts searching on google for the Dutch names of the books*

=p
'second child' is called in our language: 'dance of the death.'
^.^
you are dutch?? I have friends there =)

Sedge
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to Sedge

Old 04-14-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Jane
The Claidi Journals was listed under horror in my old school library.

I don't think it's horror, though.

• I don't know about that-- Nemian is a fairly horrifying sight to behold.

And to be on topic, Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite is pretty creepy. I think it's loosely based on Jeffrey Dahmer and Dennis Nilsen.

Cannibalistic serial killers in love... awwwerruhh. Yarg.

angel_of_joy
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-14-2007, 03:15 AM

i think my favorite "horror" books are the four that involve Hannibal Lector. Are those considered horror novels? I guess they are. Anyway all four books, including the newest on Hannibal Rising, i have heard mixed reviews on that one but i really liked it. it put so much of why Hannibal was the way he was into perspective. out of the other three i have to say that Hannibal is my favorite. i love the mind games and the conviction he has toward Clarice. Red Dragon is also very good and so is Silence of the Lambs, but year i can't say anything wrong with any of these books. but then i guess i didn't really find them scary either.

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-14-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitydoll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Von Doom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegretto
HP Lovecraft, definitely. His works are just so bizarre at times, yet it's enough to keep you gripped to the book. I really love the way he writes, too. It flows so wonderfully.
I love Lovecraft. As a writer/storyteller, I'm not a fan of the way his work flow; it's less the words, in my opinion, and more the pure energy of his ideas. His stuff makes you question your sanity.

Plus, that Xbox game based on his "Shadow Over Innsmouth" still gives me nightmares.
I dont knwo the game is it based on the novel wow!!! ^^
I love the chulthu myths (sorry if the name is misspelled I read it in spanish it may vary) I loved it.
And I agree it makes you doubt about your sanity >.<
The game is loosely based on "Shadow Over Innsmouth", but has elements from some of the other short stories. Basically though, you're investigating a disappearance from Innsmouth and run afoul of the locals, who at first just hinder your investigation, then attack your room (like in the story, you have to run away, through the rooms and across the roofs. Stumble once, and you die. That part really messed me up for a while, mostly because I'd (stupidly) play it late at night. And I was playing during spring, so there were a lot of thunderstorms >.<). Then once you escape from town, you end up going to the Marsh Refinery, where you battle a Shoggoth (dear god, pretty freaky, although not hard, more just: Oh, I go THERE, I die, etc.), then to the sunken city of Y'ha-nthlei. The Deep Ones, Mother Hydra, and the Yithians all play major roles and dread Cthulhu himself apppears in statue form.

The game is not really ... fun per se. It's really like a horror game and a lot of people didn't like it. It's not like Resident Evil ... spooky, but a blast to play. You don't get to shoot anything until about 2-3 hours into the game, before that, you're running away like a scared kid. It's not a First Person Shooter; it's a First Person Find a Dark Corner and Pray to Whatever God You Hold Dear They Don't See You. It was a chore to play because I didn't want to be in the horror situation anymore ... it was that vivid for me. Sadly, the company went belly-up after the game was released to mixed reviews and piddling sales, so no sequels are in the works, though two were planned. If you really like horror for the sense of fear or really love Lovecraft, it's well worth trudging through, but if you're more into "Aw, shooting monsters! Sweet!", then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Also, fans of the story "Call of Cthulhu" would do well to check this out:

http://www.cthulhulives.org/cocmovie/

It's an awesome adaptation of the story filmed as a silent movie (with some more modern techniques. Cthulhu himself is Claymation). It's a little campy (but that was the intent) but overall very, very well done.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 04-14-2007, 03:52 AM

wowwwwwwwwwwwww I so much want that dvd now ^_______________^

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-14-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
For $20, it's a little expensive when you consider price versus the length of movie, but it's so worth getting because it's so well done. I'd recommend watching a couple preview clips though, just to make sure you'd enjoy the silent film style. There are a couple Lovecraft fans who just didn't "get" the film.

Doodlekaboodle
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Doodlekaboodle

Old 04-14-2007, 04:16 AM

Lovecraft

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
For $20, it's a little expensive when you consider price versus the length of movie, but it's so worth getting because it's so well done. I'd recommend watching a couple preview clips though, just to make sure you'd enjoy the silent film style. There are a couple Lovecraft fans who just didn't "get" the film.
yeah I know what you mean , besides I live in Argentina and there is no way I can "buy" it cause they dont sell it here so I will manage =D thanks

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
yeah I know what you mean , besides I live in Argentina and there is no way I can "buy" it cause they dont sell it here so I will manage =D thanks
Their website won't ship to Argentina? Try eBay, if you can.

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Robot Jane

Old 04-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedge
Quote:

You only torment him because you love him.

Hollie
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 AM

I don't like the genre particularly.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedge
Quote:

You only torment him because you love him.
Hahahahahhahah XD

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Their website won't ship to Argentina? Try eBay, if you can.
last time I bought sth on ebay It never make it to my place T___T sigh so I dont want to expose my money again on shopping sites but i will hope they release it here soon they will for sure, thanks though

fourohnine
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to fourohnine Send a message via MSN to fourohnine

Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 AM

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk was a great book. It didn't really scare me, but it was kind of... chilling. Really, anything of his is of a very dark nature... and he's such a wonderful author. Lullaby and Fight Club are two other excellent books by him.

I like Stephen King books. My mom was a big King fan, so she read his books to me when I was little. I used to have terrible nightmares. n.n; Carrie was always a favorite of mine.

Of course, I'm always partial to Poe. His short stories are so wonderful. He's a master of words, and the darker side of human nature. I think it's fun to sit and pick apart his stories... The symbols he uses, the double meanings... Just his general sentence structure. Plus, he was a very interesting man who lived a very.. err, dark life. n.n;

I can't think of any others off-hand. Normal horror stories don't really scare me. <.<;

Zarq
*^_^*

Old 04-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Stephen King is my favorite horror author.

The first Stephen King book I read was It. I was 17 years old and working 3rd shift in a nursing home. Which was suspenseful enough in itself -- as we always had the lights turned way down and there was so much focus on security. No one gets in, no one gets out.

Then, I read It. Scared me so badly (partially because of the circumstances that I was reading it) - when it was quiet at work, I would read. I can't tell you how many times during the course of that book that I was darn near frightened to death when someone would walk up behind me or something. Or the torture I put myself through walking down those long dark hallways at 3 in the morning-- checking the residents of course, but I was just so sure I was going to open one of them doors and find pennywise there.

Ugh. I still shiver when I think about it.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 04-22-2007, 12:36 AM

I used to like stephen King, he is a great master i couldnt sleep for like a week after I read "It" and I love the movies that have come after his books but nowadays I dont think he is doing a good job, actually it is said that his lasts books have been written by some other authors and signed as their owns...idk you can actually see the difference