Tranquilize_er
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Well as the title asks, what is your favorite book you have read, or not read thats fine too, that has been turned into a movie? It can be anything, any genre, fiction, non fiction, sci-fi, whatver you want to talk about. You could even just talk about your favorite book wether or not it has been turned into a movie. Just stick around chat and have fun.

Last edited by Tranquilize_er; 12-23-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Oops

Walkyrje
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Walkyrje

Old 12-23-2008, 07:30 PM

My favorite is probably Neil Gaiman's Stardust. Charles Vess, the illustrator for the original, is a fantastic artist, and Mr. Gaiman is unequaled in our contemporary generation for creating fairy tales that are original, and yet touch on all the old archetypes. When reading a Neil Gaiman story, one often feels that he doesn't so much write the story, as discover it lurking in the collective unconscious.

And the movie Stardust was great as well, with a fantastic cast. It did, of course, veer wildly away from the story as told in the book, but it did so with panache and a fine feel for what works and doesn't work on the screen, as opposed to what works on the page.

In short, I think they're both masterworks, and you should enjoy the story in both forms for full enjoyment.

Tranquilize_er
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 PM

That certainly sounds very interesting. I think I will have to check out some of his work. Thanks for the reply.

Walkyrje
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-23-2008, 07:52 PM

No worries. My Aunt and Uncle and I are currently working our way through the DVDs of Peter Jackson's version of Lord of the Rings, but I think enough has been written about that, all over the net, that anything I have to say about it would be superfluous.

Tranquilize_er
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Haha. True. I like those movies. I've read the Hobbit but the books take a long time to read.

Walkyrje
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 PM

Well, Tolkein was a professor, and he was used to some very dry source material. Rumor has it that he sent parts of the first draft to his son, while his son was serving in the military during WWII.

Sforzando
Goddess of Passion and Rage, The...

Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 AM

I never knew Stardust was a book. But I really liked it. I thought it was a good movie.

The Princess Bride is a good book turned movie.

Pride and Prejudice... Well, I saw most of the modern Mormon version of it, and I'm glad because without it, I would not have understood the book at all, and now the book is my favorite ever.

If my other favorite books were turned into movies, I would be sad, because they always ruin it, and also, the book would turn really popular, and then everyone would like it, and I would be annoyed with it and it would no longer be my favorite. (I hate it when everyone likes the same thing as me.) Not that my favorite book isn't popular. Pretty much everyone in my school is reading it because the author is local and her daughter goes to our school.

Walkyrje
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2008, 05:15 AM

My favorite film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice is Bride and Prejudice, which is a Bollywood film. First of all, I love Bollywood -- the costumes, the music, the energy -- but it's also fabulous in that it stars Aishwarya Rei, who may be the most beautiful woman living in the world right now.

Of course, the version the BBC did, with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle is fantastic... though I'm also rather fond of Keira Knightly as Elizabeth Bennet. Oh, heck, let's face it... I'm not aware of any bad productions of that book!

juniper_silver
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 AM

I'd die of delight if my favorite book, Weetzie Bat, was turned into a movie. I loved both the book and movie called Girl Interrupted (I watched the movie before I read the book though).

Walkyrje
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper_silver View Post
I'd die of delight if my favorite book, Weetzie Bat, was turned into a movie.
Huh... I just looked that up on Amazon, and it sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can find a copy at the library.

Have you read Thirteen Reasons Why? It's much, much more serious than Weetzie Bat sounds, but it's a great read, anyway!

juniper_silver
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-24-2008, 07:04 AM

I highly recommend it, especially if you like books with a poetic way of saying things. It's poetic, but also very easy to understand.

I haven't read that book. What's it about?

Walkyrje
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 AM

It's about a girl who kills herself. It's set two weeks after her death, when a boy who knew her gets a series of audio tapes with her voice on them. She explains the thirteen reasons why she's come to the point of killing herself.

It's sad, but it's also quite powerful.

juniper_silver
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 AM

That sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look for a copy of that at the library too :)

Sinister Sassy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2008, 09:08 AM

I have a really hard time with book-to-movie adaptations, because of the editing. But, that being said, the best one I've seen yet is Gone With The Wind. The editing butchered it into an entirely different heroine, but the story still worked for me.

lavndrdream
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to lavndrdream

Old 12-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Well, duh! "Hitchhiker's Guide to he Galaxy"

While I adore the books, I liked the movie as a stand alone. For us hardcore weirdos, the movie was lame.

Another was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

The Tim Burton's version was much better then the one with Gene Wilder. I saw that one and wanted to cry, it was so far from the book. I pouted the entire time the next day at school while everyone else sang those stupid Oompa-loompa songs.

Dementes
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Dementes

Old 12-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavndrdream View Post

Well, duh! "Hitchhiker's Guide to he Galaxy"

While I adore the books, I liked the movie as a stand alone. For us hardcore weirdos, the movie was lame.
i have to say, this is pretty much exactly what i was going to say. as an adaptation it kind of bites, but as a movie it's all sorts of freaky awesome. the book is my favouritest ever and too that it was ever turned into a movie was fantastic. pity that they kind of stand alone. still! yes.

garnet_dagger
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2008, 03:31 AM

my favorite is the narnia series

Sforzando
Goddess of Passion and Rage, The...

Old 12-26-2008, 03:37 AM

Oh, yes, garnet. The Narnia series, definately. Especially Prince Caspian. I think I read taht book over 15 times. That one and Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

The Volturis Lover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to The Volturis Lover Send a message via MSN to The Volturis Lover Send a message via Yahoo to The Volturis Lover

Old 12-27-2008, 01:13 AM

Jane Eyre is probably one of the very few book turned movies that I liked. I've seen many versions and liked them all.

Mya
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_dagger View Post
my favorite is the narnia series
Yeah I like the Narnia series too. I hope they make more movies of it.

Music Addict
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 AM

I did enjoy the Narnia series but the only books that were turned into movies were The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian. I've also read the Tale of Despereaux, which is a great read. I hear it is coming
to theatres. If you ever come across this book anywhere make sure to read it.
:yes:

Music Addict
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 AM

Oh yeah, I haven't read this book but my sibling has. She abouslety loves it! (Don't be so impatient, I'm getting to the title.) Anyway, there are four books of the series. And its called (drum rolls) The City of Ember. I have never actually got the chance to finish it all, but hopefully I will get that chance one day or another. It has been turned into a movie (I haven't got the chance to see the movie either). If you ever read it, would you mind sharing your opinions? I would like to know. :angel:

`Trixxy
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-28-2008, 04:32 AM

Hm, I'll have to say the Harry Potter series. I enjoyed them all so much, though I admit, I didn't read all of the books. But still, I enjoyed them all very much.

Sethmire
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 AM

V for Vendetta ^^

Ahhhh such a great book and movie! I am very big into long and twisted plots with little drama but very deep meaning, thus, politics are the way to go with V for Vendetta! :D

IHateTests
*^_^*

Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Trixxy View Post
Hm, I'll have to say the Harry Potter series. I enjoyed them all so much, though I admit, I didn't read all of the books. But still, I enjoyed them all very much.
The movies killed them. The books are awesome but the film aren't they have had to cut way to much out