Chema
*^_^*

Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 AM

When it comes to me trying to find good books to read, I read the last couple of pages first before starting it.

I do this because I like to know if the couple in the book get together or to find out who lives or dies lol

If it has a good ending, I read the book all the way through, if it doesn't then I set it back down :P

Do any of you find yourselves reading the ending of a book first??

AgentKaz
The spandex'd wonder!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 PM

No way! That spoils... well, the ending! XD I read it from beginning to end. The only thing I'll look at at the end is the page number.

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-15-2009, 02:45 PM

I used to always read the last sentence of each book before I started reading it. Odds are, it didn't give anything away. Unfortunately those books that have the first few chapters of the next book sometimes messed me up, and I wasn't actually reading the last sentence at all. XD

Zolar
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Haha, I used to do that all the time.
I stopped after the Twilight series though,totally ruined it for me. :/

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 05-15-2009, 06:49 PM

I used to read the first page and the last page, but I spiled myself and I found the first page is usually a good indicator. There's only been one or 2 books which started out bad and got better.

Chema
*^_^*

Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 AM

haha good replies everyone! I do agree with you that it spoils the book sometimes. But, I have read books where I didn't read the ending, and it turned out very badly lol I never read the ending in the twilight series because I knew from friends that that was a good book :P I guess the first page is a good indicator as well, but I tend to read the summary on the back instead of the first page. I'll have to try that out sometimes :)

Little Foot

Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 AM

i hate it when people do that...no offense. the whole point in reading a book is for the surprises they bring. it ruins the whole thing when you already know whats going to happen. if you dont know if you will like it then ask a friend who you trust to know what books you like whether or not its anygood. if you're not sure at all just check it out at the library. sorry its just one of my pet peeves.

yea reading the first page and the summary on the back (or the inside of cover if its a hardback) works too ^_^

Last edited by fiarra; 05-27-2009 at 03:46 AM..

Chema
*^_^*

Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 AM

lol thanks for your opinion :) I know I got started on Twilight from a friend and I have pet peeves of my own so I understand :P

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 PM

I'll do that if the book is really thick. If I invest the time for 900, 1000 pages or something, I don't want to be disappointed by the ending.

juniper_silver
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-17-2009, 02:13 AM

I don't like knowing the ending ahead of time, so I won't look ahead. I get upset if someone tells me the ending of a book before I finished it (unless it was an accident).

Rosamond
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-17-2009, 02:18 AM

I don't read the ending until I actually get to the ending. I rather the ending be a surprise. If I don't plan to read the book anymore I might skip to the end and read it.

xNedra_the_Red_Dragonx
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM

No, I don't want to spoil to myself what happens. xD Usually, if the summary of a book catches my attention, then I'll pick it up and read it.

Twethereal
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chema View Post
When it comes to me trying to find good books to read, I read the last couple of pages first before starting it.

I do this because I like to know if the couple in the book get together or to find out who lives or dies lol

If it has a good ending, I read the book all the way through, if it doesn't then I set it back down :P
I do the exact same thing for the exact same reason! I always hate myself for it though. I love being surprised, but I always end up caving in because I also hate being depressed at the end of a book. If my favorite character is going to die, or if I've been rooting for the wrong couple throughout the book, I want to know it ahead of time. But I drive myself nuts by doing that. I really need to learn some self control for my own sanity...

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 PM

I used to do that when I was little, but it tended to be when I was half-way tghrough the book and couldn't bear not knowing anymore. XD I managed to stop when I was eleven or so, though, it took so much fun out of reading the book!

ravenwings14344

Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 PM

At first I would try to read at least the first page but then I skim through the whole book and sometimes the ending but then it gets all boring and then I set it down.

I try to not do so I won't spoil it!:sweat:

Fabby
KHAAAAAAAAN~

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM

I never do that. I prefer finding things out in due time, even if the book is going to have a disappointing ending. I enjoy it more when there's an element of surprise.

But I do have an odd habit of reading the last sentence. I don't know why, I just do. The last sentence very rarely contains spoilers anyway.

fiarra
seeking proof on the roof
Send a message via AIM to fiarra Send a message via MSN to fiarra

Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 AM

I'm also one of those people who will read the last sentence of a book before deciding to really read it. I just remember in 7th or 8th grade that we got a talk from the librarian about books and she mentioned how that was a nice way to see if you were interested in a book.

I skip around in books sometimes too. I read really fast and sometimes I'll get bogged down in a section where I can't quite maintain the speed due to pacing or wording.. and I'll skip ahead to see how long it goes on for and find myself reading. ><;;

Doomfishy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 AM

I've done this before, but I always hate myself for it. It ruins it a little for me.

I can't stand skipping around, even if I hit a very dry, slow spot in the plot.

Sally Sinema
(◎_◎;)

Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 AM

No way, there wouldn't be any point in reading the rest then.

Pa-pancake
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via MSN to Pa-pancake

Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM

Oh my goodness, this is probably one of those bad habits I had when I was into the Sweet Valley series. Usually in those kind of books, you are most likely able to predict the endings since they are very obvious and there are times when you just want to confirm it so I skip the whole middle part and go straight to the last few pages to take a peak at what would happen. However, if the ending is not what I wanted, i might lose interest in the whole story >.<'' But then if the ending is something I had wanted to happen, I wouldn't mind continuing to read it :P

Death_Sabre

Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Hell No!!

Jasmin_Flower

Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM

The last sentance, unless its a book that I really wanna read because igts a sequal, I wont read a page or word of it till I'm ready, but normally if I dont want to read the last sentance, my dad will od it when he looks at the book. >_<
I read the last sentances, every one knows that anything good happens the page before. :)

white_rose_phoenix
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 AM

I almost never read the end first. Sometimes, when I'm in the middle of the book and things are looking bad, I will take a peek at the end in order to determine if I should waste my time reading the rest of the book or not. I've been burned by far too many a disappointing ending before.

I do that with anime sometimes too: I find an episode guide. There's been more than one anime that I initially loved but couldn't bring myself to finish because I found out (one way or another) that the ending was awful.

*spoilers*

I mean, maybe a lot of people wanted Light and Lelouch to die, but I didn't. I liked them. Even if they were megalomaniacal tyrants, and even if they died like megalomaniacal tyrants, I still didn't like it and I still haven't been able to bring myself to finish either series.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Rarely...I prefer not to spoil it. Though I did remember peeking at the ending for Harry Potter's Deathly Hallows book...:sweat:

Most of the time I prefer reading it from the start, and not once flipping to the back to see what happens. Though it does increase the chances of being disappointed at the ending, at least it won't risk spoiling the story (just in case I do like it)...

Bouff
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Oh i couldnt do that.. I couldnt enjoy random pages wherever they are. I think i need to start in the beginning, just so i read the story as the author wanted it to be told. @.@ Not sure that makes sense.. Also, not very fun knowing the end for me.. I usually start to read a little in the beginning, to see if i like the language the author is using.