Mariposa~rosa
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Mariposa~rosa

Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 AM

I like to see what the final word is. Its just a strange thing i do XD I started when I was a little kid and reading the Harry Potter books and then make guesses based on that one word, and now i just sorta keep doing it.

Lucitashina
The Weird One.
Send a message via AIM to Lucitashina Send a message via Yahoo to Lucitashina

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Yeah, that's a bad habit for me. I read the last page first before I start reading the rest of it. Only books I didn't do that to are the ones that are barely under two hundred pages. Like the Animorph books.

Hatsune-Miku
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 PM

nope, I prefer to keep the ending for myself a surprise so I wont spoil it for myself :)

Joyless Deception
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 AM

Omg, cheater =P

I read the first paragraph or so to see if I can handle the writing style and page set up (mostly line spacing).

IcyKitten

Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM

I rarely read the very end but I usually do glance around in the middle of the book to see if there is anything interesting. I like to see of there is something to look forward to in the book.

Plus I like the nice teaser, to see how the book goes to get to that point and then where it goes after.

Ishira
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM

I never read the end first, I like to be in suspense. For better or for worse because sometimes really good books can have sucky endings. Although I was tempted to for one trilogy I was reading because I knew I would blow a fit if the couple that were together didn't stay together in the end.

Lysine
Meirion, Madman Librarian

Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 AM

No. Never. It ruins it for me and I don't have the drive to read it anymore. Furthermore, the author spent time on the beginning and middle of the book and probably agonized over foreshadowing and plot set up, and reading the end first is not how the book is meant to be read. Novels are structured the way that they are structured for a good reason. You wouldn't look at the lower right corner of a painting before deciding if you wanted to look at the whole painting, would you? Would you watch the last two and a half minutes of a two hour film before deciding if you want to watch it all? I can only hope that you wouldn't.

In case you can't tell, I can argue about this for hours. xP I guess I can sympathize with not wanting to put in the effort of reading a five hundred page book only to find out that the ending is terrible, but I don't understand reading the ending first at all.

purplewaterbottle
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I only do that with books that I waited all year for, I hate to read the whole book and find the ending sucks.

Mariann
Crazy Book Lady; Future Crazy Pe...

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 PM

'I like reading the last line/paragraph of the book. Often, it makes me want to read the rest to find out how it got to that point :) I don't mind it.

melonmilk
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Yep, usually! I start reading the firsttcouple of pages, and if it I like it I then flip to the back. I have such a bad memory and I'm bad at making connections anyway, so it never ruins it for me. I'd have to connect with the characters first to be able to understand the situation.
So basically it's just me reading from both sides.

Last edited by melonmilk; 05-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: taipoee ;)

Dr. Nyx
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-26-2010, 03:11 AM

I have this habit of reading the last page before I start at the beginning, lol.

I guess I want to know if I will be disappointed with how it ends or not.

sweet windmelody
Cookies is my life!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Yes. It's a habit that I picked up after I read some of the books that have very sad endings. So I just read what the ending is before I read the book. XD

happygrim

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM

*Raises hand* Guilty.
I’ve done this. I don’t do it with comics, but I do it with novels.
I recently read “My Brother Sam is Dead” Even though the ending was crap I read it anyway. It was ok.
I find that if the subject of the book has to do with history or vampires, I read it anyway.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM

I've only ever read the ending of a book once, and that was because the book got so bad after two or three chapters that I just wanted to see how it ended. And it ended horribly. So now I'm a bit more picky about the books I read and I don't keep reading if it's just bad at the beginning.

Masayume

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM

I can't read the last page first. It ruins the ending haha. I find the most excitement in reading, is because I don't know what's going to happen. I get so into my book, often I would shout something in class (Usually in SILENT reading) and everyone would look at me lmao. I cry and I yell and I get happy lol. But yeah, it's not as exciting reading it the second time because I already know what's going to happen.

Zayix
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 AM

I normally read the last line, but nothing to find out the ending.
It kind of tells me if it's a cliff hanger or not..
Such as "They all screamed as the knife dropped", I think I worded that right..
That's the last line of Glass House in the Morganville Vampire Series. (First book)

White Squirrel Girl
The Spazatic little cookie

Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 PM

I only read the last page. If the ending is good it gives me the vibe that the whole book is good.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Nah, I like to read books the way that authors intended them. I always feel guilty skipping around, as if I'm not trusting them enough to guide their own story. :lol:

Puttytatt
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM

I have a habit of reading the last paragraph of the book so when i goto the 1st page im like what the heck happened!?!?!?