coolazity1
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 AM

Has anyone here gotten so into a series that you hated to see it end? For me, I like to read fanfiction so that I can still "see" the characters from my favorite books. Despite the fact that fanfiction can be quite bad for some series, I know I've read several stories that almost were better than the original books.

So, what does everyone think?

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 AM

I'm wrtting a fanfic for the first time in about 3 1/2 years. Haha. It's a transformers one, I've been having a lot of fun with it, but I did it for experimenting purposes more than anything. I've never written in 1st person, I always write in 3rd. But I also did it because I had writers block on my original novel idea.

Basically I look at fanfics as a learning experience for people. Writers practice writing and try to get a handle on story telling and proper grammar and readers learn how to look at stories in a discerning way.

But for the most part I've stopped reading fanfics. I read a few every now and again, but most of them just do not suit my tastes. I've lost interest in Mary-sue driven stories, so it takes a rare and well written one to grab me. And many stories that aren't mary-sue are not written up tot he grade I want to read (bad grammar and what not that I'm to busy frowning over then enjoying the story).

But ya, I agree, sometimes you do come across extremely well written ones.

Eyeellohveeeewhyohyou
Send a message via MSN to Eyeellohveeeewhyohyou

Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 AM

@ erailea: Simply report yourself, and a mod will delete it for you.

Anyway, fanfiction. I've been an avid fanfiction reader for around 7 years or so, so I'd have to say I support it pretty heavily. As long as the writer has some writing talent, then there's nothing wrong with borrowing another writers world and their characters, so long as they give credit to the creator.

The only time I really can't stand fanfiction is when it's just a bunch of badly written OCs in some other authors world or time line. If you're going to go through all of the effort to make your own characters, then you should be able to write your own story. Occasional OCs for plot progression are alright, but don't get carried away.

Kardra
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 AM

I like reading fan fiction when there is a couple I liked that never got together. I find some authors are very creative. There is a site called Moonlight Flower that has a lot of very good fanfiction.
Fanfiction is a mixed bag because many people write it. I discovered the best fanfiction is found quickly by judging how much effort they put into their descriptions. Those who are truely passionate about their writing will do their best to sell it. Usually the passionate authors are the best ones.

blackpearlphan
Airship Mistress

Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM

I have been reading fanfiction for years now, actually since The Lord of the Rings films were released. I used to be an avid reader in Fanfiction.net, but I then saw how terrible the writing actually gets, it is actually known as "The Pit" in some circles. I prefer the fanfiction on Livejournal or archive sites. That said I muc hprefer reading slash fiction compared to 'het' or OCs, aka The Mary Sues. Self Inserts are also pretty horrible to read. I also prefer to read fanfiction that has some basis in canon, total AUs are not my thing. I don't have a problem with RPS, real person slash, as long as it deals with real life. If you are writing a fic about Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard i a relationship, please write a little on their existing realtionships, make it believable. Really my thing is as long as it is well written I generally don't have a problem with fanfiction.

ASingingGaijin
Click!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM

I think fanfiction can be good. Some of it's just ridiculous. You can tell if a story was well thought out or not. Although I've never written one myself, I constantly have ideas going through my head while I watch drama and anime and when I read manga and books. I don't like to be negative so I try to hear people out and read their stories but there's a point where it gets annoying. Like all that yaoi/yuri stuff. I like the original anime and manga but not yaoi fanfic... LOL yuck.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 PM

I think that fanfiction is okay to an extent. I have written fanfiction and it is a good starting point for aspiring authors because they do not need to do the work it takes to create characters, introduce them, and insinuate them into a situation/setting. BUT, sometimes the writers of fanfictions just go too far.

For example:
-When they change the gender of the character
-When they change the sexual orientation of a character
-When they demean a character or change that character's personality

Fanfiction writers just do not have this right. I would rather prefer that fanfiction were not as popular as it is but it just cannot be avoided. I understand that people like to continue to "see" the characters after the real product is finished, but I think that the author should be given the due respect of completely owning his/her characters without someone twisting them into something they are not.

To some authors their characters are real people and to see them written into a fanfiction can hurt sometimes. I think that it's downright disrespectful in most situations.

blackpearlphan
Airship Mistress

Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysiumFate View Post

For example:
-When they change the gender of the character
-When they change the sexual orientation of a character
-When they demean a character or change that character's personality
But that is the fun of fanfiction, getting to mess with the characters or address some issue. With the genderbenders, the really good ones can explore gender roles and how they really affect people. I love slash fiction (which is essentially homoerotic fiction). Take House M.D. for example. House and Wilson would be a fantastic couple-they practically are except for the sex. The other 'het' pairings House/Cuddy and House/Cameron are not that interesting. They tried Huddy and it failed so badly and Hamercon really can't happen now unless you want Cameron to have an affair. Most fandoms are male oriented and most of the 'het' fanfiction are what are known as Mary Sues and are REALLY bad.

It's your opinion to not like a certain kind of fiction, but the best fanfiction I have read are what you are squicked by.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearlphan View Post
But that is the fun of fanfiction, getting to mess with the characters or address some issue. With the genderbenders, the really good ones can explore gender roles and how they really affect people. I love slash fiction (which is essentially homoerotic fiction). Take House M.D. for example. House and Wilson would be a fantastic couple-they practically are except for the sex. The other 'het' pairings House/Cuddy and House/Cameron are not that interesting. They tried Huddy and it failed so badly and Hamercon really can't happen now unless you want Cameron to have an affair. Most fandoms are male oriented and most of the 'het' fanfiction are what are known as Mary Sues and are REALLY bad.

It's your opinion to not like a certain kind of fiction, but the best fanfiction I have read are what you are squicked by.
Very true. It is my opinion not to like a certain kind of fiction and I stand by that. I wouldn't necessarily say that the best fanfictions are the ones that I am "squicked" by, lol (love the word choice). But everyone is deserving of their own opinion.

All I'm saying is that there comes a point when the fanfic writer begins to disrespect the original author and that sometimes things shouldn't be messed with. Although it's always fun to see what others come up with.

Remiem
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-30-2009, 01:05 AM

I am personally not a fan but I know a lot of people who read them. I've read a few and I feel like it detracts from the origional story. The only reason I would ever investigate into a story further is if I like it a lot. I'm picky when it comes to these things, so if it's not written in the same style or characters don't act the way they are origionally portrayed, it bugs me.

Plus, I have a friend that writes them and there's only so much of her explanations of story lines that anyone sane can stand. I would like to talk about something other than fanfics with her every once in a while. She might've actually ruined it for me.

blackpearlphan
Airship Mistress

Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 PM

One reason why I like fanfictions so much, is that, if it is well thought out and well written, one can expland on characters and situations that were explained in the given media. One example is writing one a missing scene or one that was cut because of editiing. Another would be creating a back story for a character and their motivations.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM

I think some people forget that when they read fanfics, it's a play a fan does on the stuff. There really are no rules too it so people can do whatever they want.

There are authors out there who out right do not allow fanfics to be written on their stuff (or at least they make a fuss about it on their websites and a real fan would respect their wishes). My favorite author is like that, so I do respect her wishes and do not do it. I understand where she is coming from, sometimes people do utterly murder character personalities in fanfics, but I think its a good way for people to learn writing. Just me though, everyone has their own opinion

If I ever get published I wouldn't mind people doing it, so long as they never send it to me XP

Reeny
*^_^*

Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 AM

I think fanfiction is a great way for a writer to expand their characterizations. The author of the fanfic doesn't need to come up with a setting, or a world, or even characters. Sometimes not even a situation, because perhaps they're expounding on one that's already in place.

It's a great way to really study characters and motivations, as well as speech (and the patterns within the speech), and on occasion mannerisms that would easily identify a character, even without an actual name being applied to them. Thus, an author really would have to know and understand these set characters to bring them to life in their own fanfic.

Yes, fanfiction is about a writer creating their own story, and perhaps situations and maybe even bringing in new characters. BUT, I believe a writer has to stay true to the creator of these characters. If you're going to have a character in your fanfic go against his or her nature, then you better show something that would cause that character to react in such a manner.

I remember reading a fanfic on Fanfiction.net that had some merit, but there were some inconsistencies with the way a certain character was reacting, and I kindly pointed that out to the author (stating that the character could still go through the situation, but that the reaction was not in character). The author kindly told ME that it was her story and could write it as she wished.

That's fine, but to me ... if you're going to write an established character however you want to, then, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread "write your own story" basically.

I do write fanfiction. I am currently working on a Stargate: SG-1 fanfic. I love the feedback I get about characterization, because that means I'm being true to the characters. And, of course, the nice thing about my storyline is that it can easily fall into cannon. (Not saying that one should always do that, but it's nice for such an established show.)

I really do wish, though, that writers would spellcheck and get someone to read their work before they posted it. No, it doesn't have to be Pulitzer worthy, but it should still be easy to read and understand. I am sure there are a few good stories I missed out on because I either couldn't get past the atrocious spelling, or the grammar was just too whacked to understand! ^_^

And finally, I like critique. Whether good or bad. I hate when people say "oh, that was so good!" *sighs* I want to know what you liked, and why. What worked? What didn't? How else can I grow as a writer?

Heana
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 AM

ive got to say, im a fan and a writer of fan fiction. im also gulty of slashes. poor lestat and louis. they never see it comeing.

Agent_S
I am fully convinced that I exis...

Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 AM

Although I have found some good fanfiction, I've found I enjoy writing it more than reading it. Of course, I will admit I never show my fanfiction to anyone, haha. Its fun to try to write a character that you yourself didn't create, its a bit of a challenge sometimes. Right now, I'm in the middle of writting a Star Trek fanfiction...maybe I shouldn't admit that, haha.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM

Admitting to writing a Star Trek fanfic is no more geeky that working on any of fanfic XD Woot for our geekdoms!

blackpearlphan
Airship Mistress

Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM

I am a great supporter of slash fiction, although I have only ever written one drabble (It was an RPS).I can never get the characters the way I want them. I love reading them though! ^.^

Ryohko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 PM

It really depends. I used to love reading Sailor Moon fanfiction, but I don't as much anymore since it's not from the original author. Though it's very interesting to see what people would think of what could happen that an author didn't explain. For example, when an author didn't write much about how a character grown up in a past life, someone could write a theoretical fanfiction based on that missing time-line.

It also depends on how the fanfiction blends in well the original story line. I like one that could be an extension, but it's very close to the storyline that it could actually be something the original author would write. Does that make any sense? o-o;

Blkmage Disaster
The Shadow Thief

Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 AM

I think fanfiction makes for an interesting read. It depends on whether it has good grammar, spelling, plot, and it has to catch my eye.

A few things I absolutely hate are:
A Badly written Mary-sue, If it's written well, I won't mind it.
Bashing of a Character, that's just immature.
Some people may like that character.
Unless it's Pegasus J. Crawford, light bashing though. For the lulz.
Finally OOC Out of Character.
If they are out of character I wont read it.
Unless it's a very good parody.
They have to stay some-what in character though.

EvelynWn
Wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup!!!!! !!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM

I love fanfiction even write some myself

Missy192
I am a full QWERTY keyboard.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 AM

I personally have never really read any fanfiction.. I've been thinking about it but the stories that I want to continue reading are so unpopular that it's so difficult to find one. Otherwise, I would see fan made pictures here and there of certain shows or books and it would slightly irritate me if they got the features wrong. If they're a little off or something then that's fine, but if it doesn't even LOOK like it would be that person then something's wrong.. If I can't guess who it is then they either need drawing skills or need to stop "improving" the characters. (yes i was told that they were "improving" the character before)

Ephelie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Well, I like reading some fanfiction, as long as it makes sense within the original storyline and that the characters actually act IN-CHARACTER. Although I love reading stories including OCs - I create a lot of OCs myself - I seriously hate badly-written and ultra-powerful Mary-Sues with no flaws. Especially the ones that destroy a canon couple. More than anything when I create an OC, I think, I'm OCD about keeping the canon relationships present in the story. I did once create an OC in love with a already taken character, but, naturally, I didn't make it work! 8D

In a nutshell: fanfiction is good, as long as it makes sense within the author's original work AND well-written. Unfortunately, 50% of fanfiction doesn't follow one or another of those. ^^;

Bloodwolf

Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Personally, I like fanfiction. It keeps the story alive when you want more than whats there.

Pikapi Pikachu
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Pikapi Pikachu Send a message via MSN to Pikapi Pikachu Send a message via Yahoo to Pikapi Pikachu

Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM

I love fanfiction (and I'm a fanfiction writer myself!). It's a good way to see where the characters go after the series or whatnot ends, and it also gives you a shameless excuse to play with concepts which probably break every law of fanfiction there is. Not to mention you can cross over fandoms which you wouldn't think could be crossed over XD With fanfiction, you have an endless array of possibilities, and you can write them to your heart's content, never mind that you'll probably get sporked by hardcore fans XD ("You did what to Cloud? DIE!!!")

Darkestofsouls
El Sleezo's Discount Constructio...
Send a message via MSN to Darkestofsouls

Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM

It depends on the Fanfiction. I like ones that try to keep the feel of the story (so it feels like someone else writing a guest episode or whatever of my favorite show).

But when people do this really out their stuff, or bring a character WAY OUT of Character, then I stop reading.