The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm not a huge Twilight fan, but I agree that for the first film, the conversion wasn't great. I thought the second and third films were much better though. I don't even like Twilight any mroe but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Eclipse ^^

Riley_Dragonseeker
Dutchess of Creepers
Send a message via MSN to Riley_Dragonseeker Send a message via Yahoo to Riley_Dragonseeker

Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 AM

well some bad conversions out there are..... Ella Enchanted, one or two of the harry potter movies..... twilight movie..tuck everlasting.. and more that i can't think of at the moment......

ZoeyBird
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Now Ella Enchanted I thought was a pretty close compared to Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. As for Harry Potter yea that was very bad. I nearly wanted to cry. Another one I thought was Holes

R. Wiggly
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to R. Wiggly

Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyBird View Post
Now Ella Enchanted I thought was a pretty close compared to Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. As for Harry Potter yea that was very bad. I nearly wanted to cry. Another one I thought was Holes
WHAT?! Holes was a great conversion! The guy that wrote the book was even involved in making the movie.

Movies are never the same as books. They can't use every single thing from the book because then every movie adaptation would be 5+ hours long and no one wants to sit in the theater to watch such a long movie.

Books are almost always better. The only exception I can think of is Forrest Gump. After watching the movie so much over the years, I picked up the book. I couldn't get through it because it was so different. But since I had grown up with the movie, I preferred that version.

Last edited by R. Wiggly; 08-02-2010 at 12:46 AM..

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Holes was a brilliant conversion, I thought. Almost everything was just like it was in the book!
Also, compared to some other conversions out there...

Salvaria
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 PM

I watched the third Harry Potter in theaters, and when it ended, everyone in there along with me said, 'what?!' : /

Probably one of the most disappointing ones for me.

EDIT: And, seeing as how the Twilight movies went, I'm frightened for the turning of Host by Meyer, which happens to be my favorite book out there : ///

SheWhoShallNotBeNamed
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to SheWhoShallNotBeNamed

Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 AM

Definitly the twilight series. I hate the movies and now all these fangirls say they are twilight fans but never read the book. And all the twilight haters who diss anyone who likes the book even though all they saw was the crappy movies. Its horrible and stephenie should be ashamed for selling out.

Salvaria
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWhoShallNotBeNamed View Post
Definitly the twilight series. I hate the movies and now all these fangirls say they are twilight fans but never read the book. And all the twilight haters who diss anyone who likes the book even though all they saw was the crappy movies. Its horrible and stephenie should be ashamed for selling out.
My feelings exactly.

It's hard to say that you're a fan of Twilight (the books) in public, because you either get haters or fangirls after you.

Yamisho
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Yamisho

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM

I have to agree with the original poster on things, at least with things like Twilight, harry Potter and Eragon they at LEAST stuck to somewhat the same characters and overarching plot.
Ella Enchanted was not so lucky. The main character has the same 'curse' but EVERYTHING else is different, Prince Char's parents are dead, instead of still loving and alive, the two movies seriously have no two scenes which are the same, even the giant's wedding was horribly changed around.
It would be basically like if you had one of the Anne Rice vampire books, kept their names.. but the movie that came otu was Twilight, some similar aspects but the characters, their motives, and the story was completely different..
Ella Enchanted movie makes me a very very sad panda :C

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 AM

Does TV show count? Because I really liked the Pretty Little Liars series, but couldn't make it through the pilot on TV.

Salvaria
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Oh. And this isn't book to movie, either, but dare I bring up The Last Airbender? -sighs-

And Roxxxy, good job with AOTFG -thumbs up-

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvaria View Post
I watched the third Harry Potter in theaters, and when it ended, everyone in there along with me said, 'what?!' : /

Probably one of the most disappointing ones for me.

EDIT: And, seeing as how the Twilight movies went, I'm frightened for the turning of Host by Meyer, which happens to be my favorite book out there : ///

I was the same way that Harry Potter movie. I can't believe it got the highest critics' ratings. D8

Salvaria
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post

I was the same way that Harry Potter movie. I can't believe it got the highest critics' ratings. D8
Literally? O.o That's probably because they were Potter-haters and were glad the movie was over so soon : P

The movie ended in the middle of the book! D:

Rooh
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvaria View Post
Oh. And this isn't book to movie, either, but dare I bring up The Last Airbender? -sighs-
I couldn't agree more. That movie was such a huge let-down. Could they possibly have screwed it up any more? Did they even watch the show once? They couldn't even pronounce a single name right.

thedarkraven
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Inkheart, Monster let down!

Wynna
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 AM

I thought the Golden Compass had a really bad movie conversion, I think it might be just because I really enjoyed the books..and well the movie just didn't do anything for me.

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM

I thought the Golden Compass was a really bad conversion as well. Mostly because they missed out the whole third part of the book. I think the got the order of events mixed up, as well...
I think it's because Northern Lights wasn't so much a book for young kids, but that's what they wanted to make the film.

Magician Girl Mirani
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 AM

This has probably been mentioned at least a dozen times already but I absolutelY HATED the Eragon book to movie conversion! I mean, they completely wrecked the plot!!!!!! The only cool thing I thought was Sapphira, she was awesome and so cute when she was a baby just come out of the egg! Appart from taht one moment and the first time we see her as an adult then the rest of the film was completely crap! They could've made it a LOT better then the did!
The Golden Compass...don't get me started! They didn't include Asrael at all and they had the bears first when the station came first where Lyra freed the children and their demons and then they were taken up in the baloon and then to svalbard! (sorry if I'm spelling these wrong, I have the audio version of the book so I've never seen the names written)
Another one taht was bad was Inkheart. I thought the idea of the book was cool and I did enjoy reading it but the film...-makes choking noise- They just messed it up so badly!
The newer Harry Potter movies are no where near as good as they coudl be unfortunately and I LOVE the books so maybe I'm a little harsher but I still think that they could've been better. The first two were good, I liked the third movie by itself although it could've been slightly better when compared to the book and then the movies completely went down hill after that. I'm sorry but they did!
Out of all of these mentioned the Eragon film is the worst but all of these are still bad.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 AM

The Ella Enchanted book to movie conversion was absolutely FOUL. There was nothing about the books that directly related to the movie except for the character names! I won't say that it's the worse ever, but it's definitely the worst that I've seen.

_zombee

Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 AM

The Golden Compass.
I loved that the book had a bit of a dark twist to it. It was really very subtly disturbing, imo. The Disney version took all of those aspects out of it and completely RUINED it for me.

Magician Girl Mirani
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-15-2010, 01:37 PM

I hate it when the plot is twisted in films to suit the editor. I mean, come on! I can understand if they need to cut bits out of a book to make the film a realistic length, that I get and completely understand but RUINING the plot and changing everything? It just spoils the whole thing!!!!!!!

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM

I think they cut off the dark ending of Northern Lights/Golden Compass because they wanted to target younger children with the film. But I really don't think they should do that. They should stick to targeting whoever the books are aimed at. And, of course, they ruined any chances of making a sequel by messing up the ending. The ending of the Golden Compass wasn't even much of an ending anyway.