AquaMan=FAIL
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codette View Post
Most hated book... hmm... Either Death of a Salesman, Of Mice and Men, or Enders Game. I hated all of those soo much. They were the only required readings in high school that I wanted skip classes for.
*gasp* But, how could you hate Of Mice and Men?? That's one of my favorite books. D: What, exactly, don't you like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrose Dewleaf View Post
To throw in my two cents on the ever-going Twilight debate: I didn't mind the first three when viewed as PG-13 romance novels, but I almost didn't finish the fourth one. It read exactly like a bad fanfiction, like something a fan of the series would have cooked up if the third had been the last.
Dude...You like, quoted my thoughts. XD Breaking Dawn was such a disappointment for me. I used to be a Twilight fangirl, and even though I'm not so in love with them anymore, I'm willing to re-read them again. You know, I'd give them another go. But NOT Breaking Dawn. That's exactly what I thought of it! A bad fanfiction. Renesmee (hopefully I spelled it right) was like a sickeningly sweet OC, and the fact that Jacob was still friends with Bella, and even the vampires (his natural enemies!) was plain unrealistic. She still talked to her dad, too, which was both idiotic and unrealistic. I mean, Bella's never aging again. Charlie will figure out that something's up there. She gets married and has a kid, which is not only impossible, completely lacking a logical explanation, but totally cliche. Bella seriously had a complete farytail "Happily Ever After" ending, and it ruined the whole thing for me. And then Jacob "imprints" on a baby!!! What kind of SICK world is Stephanie Meyer living in!? Is she that desperate to give every character a happy ending!? The whole book, Breaking Dawn, seemed like a story that Stephanie Meyer should either have never created, or wrote (as a pure guilty pleasure book) and then KEPT TO HER GODDAMN SELF and made a better ending to the series! Sheesh!

*huff* Okay, rant over. As I'm sure you can see, Breaking Dawn definitely made it to the top 10 on my "Worst Books Ever" list. New Moon was nothing great, either, when I re-read it. It was like, her whole life was Edward...and I kept thinking "No wonder you've never had a boyfriend before, if THIS is how you react..". XD I can understand being upset over the break-up, but you don't just do nothing for a whole year. -.-' Irritating.

I never finished To Kill A Mockingbird. (keep in mind, I attempted this book a while back, and am going based on memory) It was just annoying. From what I've heard, the story is good, but what little I've read of it is terribly written. The beginning of a book is hugely important; if you don't suck the readers into your story, they stop reading, and the book fails. Yet, somehow, this god awful book became a classic, put into the same category as awesome stories like Frankenstein. The author seemed perfectly willing to just waste a whole chapter describing what color so-and-so's hair was, or going into every detail of the house this person lives in. Don't get me wrong; I love details, but spending pages and pages of paragraphs doing nothing but setting the scene is always a sign of poor writing, in my opinion. And then, nothing even eventful happened in the beginning, ever, so the storyline seemed kind of bad, as well. The whole thing just irked me, and I gave up on it pretty fast. To make it worse? To Kill A Mocking Bird is required reading in 9th grade at my school, so I HAVE to read it next year. Yay. :sarcasm:

There's also this book called "When Zachary Beaver Came to Town" or something like that, and it was my required Summer Reading book. It failed. I don't know why, I just hated it. I would say it was because it was required, but the Summer Reading book the year before that was Crossing the Wire, and it's now one of my favorite books. :sweat: The "Zachary Beaver" one, though, I just didn't like. Neither did any of my classmates, though, so I guess it just wasn't popular.

*note: Sorry if I just hated on your favorite book. I'm like that with books and movies; I either love it, like it, or hate it with passion.

LewdConda
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 AM

A Clockwork Orange. The actual story-line intrigued me. I'm still interested in seeing the movie version of this novel...but, well, the only problem was the wording. "Written in a futuristic slang vocabulary invented by Burgess, in part by adaptation of Russian words", as quoted by the Amazon synopsis on the book. I couldn't make a lick of sense of the slang that was used, even in the narrative part of the story. Managed to struggle to the fifth or sixth page before I gave up altogether. Hopefully the movie will be better. Unless they come out with a "translated" version of the book, this classic will have to wait. lol

LilyRose
Crazy Rat

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM

I do not like The House of Night series, it was fine for the first couple books then kinda went downhill, I stopped reading at the part where the main character had more then three guys fawning over her.

The Twilight series is a little high on my most hated book list, sparkling vampires that don't drink human blood just don't do it for me. I mean I don't mind the fact that they sparkle as much as most people do, but it just seemed wrong for them not to drink blood.

I enjoy my vampires being human eating leeches thank you very much!

Anyway I think that's it.........

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 AM

Ack, my poor ickle heart can't take the fact that people hate some of these books! :gonk: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Sound and the Fury, Of Mice and Men, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Shakespeare?:cry: But then, we all have our books we can't stand, so am I to judge? (I have quite a few, myself...)

I myself can't stand Hemingway's books. I have tried (oh how I've tried!) to like his work, but I hate it. I appreciate it as good writing, but it's very far from 'my thing.' The Sun Also Rises was the worst of what I read by him. There was no plot. Only, 'I am going to drink. Oh look, my friends! We shall go for drinks. Now that there gone, I will drink some more. Oh, a woman I am fond of! I'll drink with her. And now it's noon, so I will have a bottle of wine with my lunch. After that I will go do more aimless things while I drink even more.' We had to read it for school, and I literally broke down two or three times, and went to my mother crying about how much I loathed it and how I didn't want to read it. :lol: But I still finished it. The Old Man and the Sea and A Farewell to Arms weren't as bad, but I still hated them. And that of course means I hated The Stranger by Albert Camus. Oh, existentialist authors, you and I do not get along...

I had to read A World Lit Only By Fire for my European history class and that might be the only time that I have ever found history boring. It was so poorly written! And Hardball by Chris Matthews made me want to punch myself in the face. Thanks, I really wanted to hear about common sense in politics your undying love for Tip O'Neil in a drab writing style!

I despised Death of a Darklord so much that I will never ever ever read another book by Laurell K. Hamilton. Her fans tell me that's her one terrible book and I should try her Anita Blake series, but I just can't! I do wish I'd picked up something else by her that first time. Alas!

The fact I even read this one is a bit embarrassing, but, uh, I hated Zombie Blondes as well. :oops: I read it because some obnoxious, rude, haughty girl in a chat room was complaining about what a horrid book it was. Boy, she really rubbed me the wrong way and made me feel plain ol' argumentative. Shortly after, I saw the book sitting out in the library and though, 'Hah, I'll show her!' ...But as much as I didn't like her attitude, she was right about what a terrible book it was.

Last edited by Iltu; 06-15-2011 at 01:38 PM..

chronic_heartbreak14
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 AM

WHAT DID YOU SAY?!

Chris Mathews wrote a book with the same name as his show? oh my god, i could never read that book. he's a terrible, terrible talk show host and he never shuts up. i have to watch him every night because my dad insists. he never lets the other person talk and when they interrupt him they just need to shut the fuck up but when HE interrupts THEM, its just fine.

UGH.

i sympathize with you for having to read that.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM

I'm not a fan of his show (he is too shouty and argumentive for my liking!) but I was actually excited to read the book. It seemed like it would be interesting, my teaher told us he was pretty good about remaining unbiased in writing (he was, I was very impressed by that), and one of the reviews put me under the impression that it was a modernized, less brutal version of The Prince by Machiavelli (which is one of my favorite books EVER). But it just didn't do it for me. I didn't like the writing, his maxims weren't surprising most of the time, and his examples were largely uninteresting. I was dissapointed!

But if you have an interest in behind-the-scenes politics, you might like it. A lot of people in my class who can't stand Chris Matthew's TV presence really enjoyed the book! Like I said, he's pretty unbiased, and if you don't run into the same issues I had with it (and get get past how much he refers to Tip O'Niel), you might enjoy it.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Great Expectations. Horribly long, I had to read it for summer my 9th grade year. It was extremely wordy, and shouldn't have lasted as long as it did. It was a weird romance, or something like that. Hated every moment of it, especially when I forced myself to read 80 pages a day so I'd be able to pass the quiz for it on the first day of class -_-

Also didn't like the Immorals series by Alyson Noel. The first book was a little sad, the second was quite sad, and what I read of the third just seemed even more depressing. I don't like books where you lose hope in the characters future. I'm sure things end well (or at least well enough) but I really wish I read something else instead of those books xD

Monte Gray
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-30-2011, 01:33 PM

I have to say that the worst book I ever read was to kill a mocking bird. That book was TERRIBLE. first of all there was too much random extra stuff in it. Then the man that was being prosecuted died even though he was innocent. Also the wife and kid of the man are now father and husbandless. That all sucks and then you add a stupid ending? What was the author thinking!? I would have NEVER read this book if my eighth grade laugauge teacher hadnt told us it was a grade. Deffinatly the worst thing I've ever had to read. Another book I hated was this book called Mercy Carter (or something like that) the girl in the story gets kidnapped by Indians that kill her step mother and younger siblings and then she excepts them as family! She also stays with them when her people come to rescue her. Dumb girl.

Bom
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM

I did not like Old Man and the Sea.. at all.
I don't remember much of the book (because it was so boring). The only climactic part was when he was catching the marlin. Other than that, I missed most of the symbolism and barely aced the test.

Morgan Michelle
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Personally? I couldn't stand The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. We read it in English and after class my friends and I would all make fun of it. Absolutely ridiculous. The ending was horrible. The whole book was about her time on a ship. :B Just really didn't like it.

Ahmelo
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 AM

The Grapes of Wrath killed me. It was so depressing, and the ending did nothing to redeem the events leading up to it.
Lullabies for Little Criminals too, wouldn't touch that unless you paid me.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was weird for me too. I did finish it, but at the end it was like "what? that's it?"
I never liked the types of books that are about exploring oneself. If I needed to find myself, reading about how someone else did it won't be helpful to me. And honestly, too many of the characters were annoying. I read it when I was younger though, so maybe my opinion would be different if I go and read it now. But I won't.

haku_yowane
*^_^*
Banned

Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM

My most hated book.......Anything i have to read at school for assignments and stuff like that.

NicoleJin
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-19-2011, 04:42 PM

Of mice and men.
Banned
I win.

crunky
Ping me Baby!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Well this book was actually on MP3 because I love to listen to books while working out. I do prefer paper books but that is just too hard to keep it open while on the elliptical machine for me at least. xD I thought about getting a digital book reader but I get most of my books from the library or I buy them used online, so it didn't seem like it would be cost effective for me. xD
Anyways, it's pretty rare that I hate a book enough to stop reading it all together. I usually even finish an average book just because I have already committed so much time to it that I want to see what happens. xD
But the book "Room: A Novel" by Emma Donoghue, I couldn't even get 12 minutes into the story and I just had to turn it off and delete it. Even though, part of it could have been that the voice sounded so incredibly annoying but I tried to looks past that but no, the words were just over done I think. It was like they were trying to sound like a 5 year old (which make sense, since it is being told from his perspective) but it was like when you watch a bad actor try to be someone and they are being over dramatic. I was really disappointed too because I hard so many good things about it too! I just couldn't bear it though. Maybe someday I will pick up the actual paperback book and try again and see if it's any better without the annoying voice. However, given the over dramatics of the wording, I don't think it will be much better. xD If anyone has read this and has a different view, I would love to hear it. Maybe I need to give it another chance? xD

Masamune
The One Who Arranges the Blocks

Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence View Post
Haha, there's so much Twilight hate here. I've never read the books myself, but I did see the movies just for kicks.

I personally hate anything by Shakespeare. I just can't understand the language he uses. I also hate a good number of the books I had to read in high school, such as Tess of the D'Ubervilles and Ethan Frome. And I hated A Farewell to Arms as well, Poisoned Love. I'm not a big fan of war stories, either. And it was just so boring.
Hehe that's kind of how my dad felt about Shakespeare. In fact, he burned all his Shakespeare books and now he sometimes has nightmares that he has a book report due the next day when he hasn't even started reading the book.

Last edited by Masamune; 08-25-2011 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: I thought it seemed a bit sarcastic

Alice Foxfire
Little Fox has fire in her eyes

Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 AM

Just to repeat what others have been saying, I hated Twilight as well. xD
Everything about it just made me angry. I won't go into a rant, but I read the first book and stopped after that.

Also, I DESPISED To Kill a Mockingbird. I had to read it in school, and everybody was saying what a beautiful and wonderful book it was... It was so boring. Everything about the story, characters, and the setting was dreadfully dull to me.

Rukia Kuchiki-
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Rukia Kuchiki-

Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 AM

Twilight---is there really a need for an explanation as to of why I hate it? To be honest, I used to like it, but something struck me down when I watched the movie...and I realized how..badly written (the book) it was? Thinking back on it, it was also the fan girls that torn me away from the series. I never finished them and hearing "Team Edward" and Team Jacob" every time I walk out the door makes me glad that I didn't.

Other than Twilight, I can't think of another book I hated :)

Wicked
*^_^*

Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM

I picked up a part of the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan.
I figured it's three books in one volume for six or seven bucks. Good deal.

Bad deal. Very bad deal.

I couldn't read it and I really don't know why.
My husband said it probably wasn't "sophisticated" enough for me - that I couldn't get invested in teenaged characters.

I then reminded him that I watch Degrassi: The Next Generation the way some people watch soap operas.
I'm very much invested in those characters. So that's the issue.

He then asked if the writing was "bad" and I really didn't feel like it was.
I mean, it wasn't fantastic - amazing - wonderful writing but it wasn't terrible.

ChocoCoveredCoffeeChick
*^_^*

Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
I picked up a part of the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan.
I figured it's three books in one volume for six or seven bucks. Good deal.

Bad deal. Very bad deal.

I couldn't read it and I really don't know why.
My husband said it probably wasn't "sophisticated" enough for me - that I couldn't get invested in teenaged characters.

I then reminded him that I watch Degrassi: The Next Generation the way some people watch soap operas.
I'm very much invested in those characters. So that's the issue.

He then asked if the writing was "bad" and I really didn't feel like it was.
I mean, it wasn't fantastic - amazing - wonderful writing but it wasn't terrible.

I read the Sweep Series and I liked it ... but that was when I was a teenager. When I went and reread them last year I couldn't figure out why I had enjoyed them so much when I was younger. I have to agree with your husband about the not being able to get into the characters. Because I have seen Degrassi- and I can see myself getting into it.. but that's because it is more of a today type mentality. Where as the Sweep Series was back in the '90s -early '00s. That's just my opinion on it though.

As for books I can't stand reading.... there are probably many because I can be really picky, but Lord of the Rings and Twilight are at the top of my list. I could never get into any of the books. They just bored me to death. And I couldn't get back the first three chapters in either series. Not sure why, they just didn't interest me in anyway.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM

I truly hated A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It was such a horrendous book! I read a wide variety of books...from Shakespeare to The Hunger Games to Moby Dick and have enjoyed them all. But A Brave New World was soooooo bad! I just couldn't enjoy it! The orgies with children and the freakish story plot...UGH.

The only other book i couldn't stand was Watt. It was so ridiculous trying to read that thing. He would go on for pages and pages of stupid possibilities...like "his mother's mother's mother and his mother's mother's father and his mother's father's father and his father's mother's father and his father's mother's mother and his father's fathers mother and his etcetcetc" and I HAD to read that book for a class....so here I struggled through it and read every work and I got to class the first day and even the teacher said, "Oh...I just skip all that repetitive stuff... has really nothing to do with the story" UGH D:

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

I absolutely abhor "House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton. Not only was it slow, it wasn't even worth the effort that it took to endure it. Nothing seemed to happen for the longest time. And then when something did happen, it was just Wharton making something bad happening to the protagonist. For whatever the reason, that character was NOT allowed to have any happy moments. Some random crap had to come up to ruin it for her.
And then in the end, after all that bad crap happens to her, the character.. well, I'll just say it doesn't end well. I don't want to spoil it. Even though I hate the book. D:. It was a depressing piece of garbage. AND it somehow got made into a movie. WHY?!?! I don't get it! D:.
The second worst book I've read was "The Yearling". It was incredibly slow, and boring. And made me hate third person narration for two years. Which made finding new books incredibly difficult. And while I will read them nowadays, I still prefer 1st person narratives because of that stupid book. :(

And as for Twilight, since I've seen it pop up so much on here..
I do not despise Twilight itself. It's an OK book. Note that I said OK. I don't like the vegetarian vampire thing much, but that pops up so much in novels lately that it doesn't bother me so much. What I hated was that Edward has NONE of the weaknesses vampires are supposed to have. AND he sparkles. I also hate the fandom. D:. I would actually read it if I didn't know that the fourth book is so crappy, and full of the stuff that I hate the series for. :(. That fourth book ruined it for me.

xXMCRAngel2107Xx
MCR

Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Old Man and the Sea... I had to read it in 8th grade.. i read the forst 50 pages then just gave up.

Then there was Thirst Vol. 1
It was a decent book... but the ending really angered me and pissed me off...
Also Twilight series... I read it because a friend told me to try it...the romance part was decent i guess... but the rest of it sucked.

----------

no vampire pun intended

Wicked
*^_^*

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoCoveredCoffeeChick View Post
I read the Sweep Series and I liked it ... but that was when I was a teenager. When I went and reread them last year I couldn't figure out why I had enjoyed them so much when I was younger. I have to agree with your husband about the not being able to get into the characters. Because I have seen Degrassi- and I can see myself getting into it.. but that's because it is more of a today type mentality. Where as the Sweep Series was back in the '90s -early '00s. That's just my opinion on it though.

As for books I can't stand reading.... there are probably many because I can be really picky, but Lord of the Rings and Twilight are at the top of my list. I could never get into any of the books. They just bored me to death. And I couldn't get back the first three chapters in either series. Not sure why, they just didn't interest me in anyway.

I feel really bad about not liking The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
I tried to read those books after having seen the movies because everyone was saying
the movies left out so many important things and... I just couldn't get into those books.

I've never attempted to read Twilight.
I'm not going to jump on the bashing bandwagon I just try my level best to pretend the whole franchise doesn't exist.

colorsbold
barely present

Old 09-10-2011, 04:45 AM

As an aside note:
I read this thread consistently to check what people dislike. Soemtimes, I agree violently! But I so often like the books listed that I feel somewhat embarrassed. :P

Brave New World-- honestly-- all of the hype! I didn't revile it, mind, only I was so disappointed after the buildup surrounding that novel... And it's portrayal of women! And the pretension! How could you read it for enjoyment?

You read that book because you're an English major and because it's a relevant dystopia. No. Other. Reason. Nyarg.

Meanwhile... heee... I liked House of Mirth. :oops:

I've spent so long reading novels of manners in the Austen style that it actually relieves me when a novel of manners ends with misery. Austen so often pandered to her audience by dropping the satire partway through in favor of an unrealistic, ubiquitous Happy Ending.

Wharton keeps up the societal criticism until the bitter end. Such a dedicated woman! Reading Ethan Frome right now; the framing of it reminds me considerably of Wuthering Heights.

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM

The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris