Your Vampaneze Lover
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Minamino View Post
I truly hated A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It was such a horrendous book! I read a wide variety of books...from Shakespeare to The Hunger Games to Moby Dick and have enjoyed them all. But A Brave New World was soooooo bad! I just couldn't enjoy it! The orgies with children and the freakish story plot...UGH.

The only other book i couldn't stand was Watt. It was so ridiculous trying to read that thing. He would go on for pages and pages of stupid possibilities...like "his mother's mother's mother and his mother's mother's father and his mother's father's father and his father's mother's father and his father's mother's mother and his father's fathers mother and his etcetcetc" and I HAD to read that book for a class....so here I struggled through it and read every work and I got to class the first day and even the teacher said, "Oh...I just skip all that repetitive stuff... has really nothing to do with the story" UGH D:
What.

Annabeth Rowanna Cullen
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 PM

I refuse to acknowledge that the fifth book in the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series exists. My favorite character turned out to be evil!

Shadowdrake

Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 AM

The Sun Also Rises. I can't stand the lack of detail, and although I know its worth is in its subtext I just can't understand it. It might be the only book I've ever actually disliked, rather than just be apathetic about.
Doctor Zhivago also annoyed me but I believe that might have had to do with the translation job rather than the actual content. It sounded interesting, but there was no flow. At all.
And being forced to read these books for class definitely did not endear either of them to me.

Cisety

Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Frankenstein pained me with all the fricking benevolent >_< I don't understand how its a classic, I get that it's old and a good example of that time period but it was horribly written and the characters where awful, I didn't even notice the girl died until several chapters later Frankenstein was so self absorbed! It shouldn't be taught in high school, it'll just turn people off reading.

The only other book I really hate is Tinkers by Paul Harding. I couldn't finish it at all, it was just painful to read. I can't believe it won a Pulitzer. The ideas were good and there was so much depth but like the way it was written ruined it for me. :(

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 PM

Hmm... I don't really have hated books. Mostly just books that bored be to the point of not reading. From least hated to most hated:

Well, firstly, there's the first Wheel of Time book. My father insists it's one of the best series ever, even if it does start out slow, but I just can't muster the energy to get past the first couple chapters. It's just so boooooring. I'll get back to it someday, but just not now.

Secondly, there's A Tale of Two Cities. In general, I just don't like Victorian literature. Since it's a classic, I thought I could get through it without suffering too much, but like a lot of Victorian literature, it bored me to near tears. I haven't actually finished the novel yet, but like the above book, I do intend on getting back to it someday. Preferably a someday far in the future.

Thirdly, the fifth House of Night book. I don't really remember the title, or even if it was the fifth book. But it was definitely one of the later books. Zoey's constant harping about everything, plus everyone falling in love with her despite how horrible she was being just got to be too much. I quit the series then and there, never to return.

Fourthly, Wuthering Heights. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck all my high school Twihard friends that told me it was one of the best books ever. It was a novel about an asshole that's miserable all the time because he fell in love with another asshole who died and abuses his kids. The end. How edgy. It was an assigned reading for one of my honors English classes--and I'll be fair, it's a fun book for in-depth discussions. I could talk about its characters, symbolism, general deconstruction of the romance genre of the time for hours... But for the love of all that is sacred, don't make me read it again. Please.

Lastly, The Mayor of Casterbridge. This novel embodies everything I hate about Victorian literature. Describing something extremely minor for paragraphs or even pages at a time in overly flowerly language for no reason? Check. Useless main character that gets everything she wants without trying simply because she's pretty? Check. All the interesting subplots happening off screen? Check. All tell and no show? Check.

The scenes with the actual mayor were actually pretty good, but of course, despite being in the freaking title of the book, he isn't the main character or anything.

Last edited by Exaggerated Rebellion; 11-10-2013 at 09:05 PM..

cator93
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM

When I was 13, I read Twilight. I read the entire first book, not because it was particularly appealing, but because I wanted to know what the hype was about. I tried to persuade myself that it would get better, but it didn't. That's several hours of my life I won't get back.

Other than that, I'm not a picky reader and enjoy most books I choose.

Thantos
Banned

Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM

I'd have to say my most hated would have been The God of Small Things. It may have been the class that we picked it to pieces with (After signing permission slips to read the book) but it was just confusing and I really was not fond of what all happened to the characters and everything. It was decent for the class, but I really forced myself to read it and write the essay at the end.

The other would have been Journey to the Center of the Earth. I hated it, it was drawn out and just didn't catch my interest. I think that was one of the few books I never finished.

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM

My most hated book would have to be a mystery novel called Maisie Dobbs. The writing is dreadful and it's more like a WWI romance novel sandwiched inside a boring, haphazardly thrown together mystery. I borrowed it from the library and found the patron before me had corrected the spelling and added much needed pronoun clarification. It scares me into improving my own writing. Good for showing other writers what not to do.

Admiral
Chancellor
Send a message via AIM to Admiral

Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 AM

There was this one trilogy I read about a girl who was kidnapped by a vampire to be his 13th wife. She wasn't particularly pretty or anything and was the slave/servant/something like that of another girl, who was kidnapped before her. She ended up having to make the bridal outfit for the girl and spent the first book falling in love with the vampire. At the end of the book she rips her heart out and puts it in his chest and takes his and puts it in her own.

Now, I read that in Sr. High and couldn't find the next ones forever. Then I found the whole trilogy in one book and was like "Yey, I can re-read these and find out how it ends!"

Well. Main girl goes on a quest and slowly but surely becomes OP. She gets traveling companions, meets all sorts of interesting people, and... let's see. Oh yeah, she finally finds the guy she loves. Goes into a huge battle for him. Meets a goddess or two. Defeats the bad guy. Gets to finally be in love with her husband.

And that would've been a great place for the series to end. But let me spoil it for you all thinking that she'll be a well developed character who gets the man in the end and has a great life. After she has her beautiful night with her husband, who loves her, who she loves as well, her goddess, who now lives inside her blood, tells her "okay, let's go, you have things to do for me so we can keep up appearances" and she's all "But I want to live with my husband and be happy" and the goddess says "Well, I could just control your body, but I want you to do this willingly". ...Her goddess is mean. And makes her give up her husband to go on goddess quests. So she asks all her people who were with her in the end if they'd like to go with her. Her husband goes to marry his cousin and rule his kingdom, her best friend's boyfriend or whatever died, so she goes with her, and everyone else is like "I wanna go" and she's all "You have responsibilities". ...Her husband could've come with her. She said no.

Worst. Series. EVER. Solely because of the last 10-20 pages when the goddess decided to be a jerk and tell her she could force her to do what she wanted, the husband goes to marry his cousin, and the only person she'll allow to go with her on her magical journey is her best friend. It just... made no sense. Like, the heroine hadn't just gone through all that for nothing, and all you give her is a gal pal to drag around? It was just... BAD. And I can't remember the series name to save my life. Probably for the best. If anyone finds a series about a vampire kidnapping a girl to make a bridal shift or something for his thirteen wives (or from them) and how he has no heart.. Don't read it. It's epic until the end, where it just negates three books in ten pages.

Arialys
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 AM

Another Twilight hater here. I applaud anyone who finished any of the chapters, much less a book. A male co-worker brought in one of the books and was gushing about how great it was (Action, intrigue and romance-forthechicks-!

I snuck a peek at it on break and heartily wished that I could reach into that book and slap Bella for being a whiny cow who disrespects her father.

I'm also not too fond of David Eddings' Belgariad/Malloreon. Stuffed full of horrible female main characters-Polgara, CeNedra, and Liselle/Velvet were sickening-did his wife really co-write his stories? And the "witty banter"? Ridiculous and juvenile. His Elenium/Tamuli wasn't nearly as bad, which is why I kept reading his work, but The Redemption of Athalus went right back to annoying. I haven't read anything of his since.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Beautiful Creatures.

I tried reading this and it was just horrible! I couldn't believe it was so popular. The action was so slow and it was just way too much high school drama for me. I tried to force myself to finish it but I just couldn't read through all the mush. In the end I just skimmed through the dialogue to see what happened in the end. I couldn't believe that there were another three books after that one so I read through the synopsis for them to see what they were about and they seemed pretty terrible as well.

Horrorsaurus
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.

They were the set texts when I was sitting my English literature GCSE and I ended up hating both of them with a passion, though the latter probably wins the dubious honour of most hated by a pinch. I really hated the heavy handed morality, especially when there is more than one interpretation of Eva Smith. To my mind, she's not really the helpless angel the exam board wanted us to write about!

KittyCat18
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM

I don't really have a hated book.
I used to really love Twilight; I admit it. I adored it. Yes, it's poorly written. The author puts all these stupid SAT words in the book that I'm too lazy to look up, it's a too good to be true love story, Edward and Bella's relationship is CLEARLY unhealthy and shows many signs of an abusive relationship. There are MANY books better than this series. The one thing that lowered my adoration for this series significantly are the crazy fan girls. I mean, the RABID fan girls - there are fan girls that I can stand that aren't ridiculously obsessed. I'm sure I don't stand alone that it became EMBARASSING to admit I liked the series to any of my friends because I'd get laughed at and pinned with the other rabid fan girls. My god. -.- Harry Potter and Hunger Games have serious fans, but I don't recall them being as killer to bare with. As it is, I'll still watch the movies here and there (guilty pleasure, get over it haters), but I can definitely say that while I like the series, it really is poorly written.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 PM

I usually try to appreciate any book I read along my way. But there are some books which I may have gotten bored of, being forced to read them again and again, like the Jane Eyre, which we had to study for English Literature. But still, I enjoyed that book in the beginning ^_^

And then David Copperfield by Charles Dickens - I didn't hate the book or anything, but I tried to understand the story behind it (I read it many a time, let me assure you) but I just couldn't get the story, and I don't think I ever will. I don't know why, but I really can't. I tried reading the smallest MacMillan version of the story thinking is find that understandable, but that wasn't so x.x

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-25-2014, 12:29 AM

I don't recall much of what I read in high school because it was ages ago. Too many years in school reading dry academic stuff, so most of what I read now is strictly fiction. The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child was recommended by a friend. First couple of books were okay, but the dialogue was boring and repetitive and I could predict what was going to happen in subsequent books.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-25-2014, 12:41 AM

50 shades of grey

Nothing more to say.

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
50 shades of grey

Nothing more to say.
You're being too kind by recognizing it as a book.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 AM

Haha, well yes. Putting it that way, you are so right!

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 AM

I have to make a list. I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting more critical of reading, or because I'm really annoyed with how "edgy" current writers are trying to be by "shocking" the reader with real life events.

Twilight: How I could go on about this series... but I won't. It just... SHE WAS GOING TO RE-RELEASE THE WHOLE THING from a different point of view. Also, its smut version. It's like My Immortal, but published.

Catcher in the Rye: I. Hate. Holden. I just wanna punch him in the face. This was literally school forcing me to read the diary of 90% of my classmates.

Whuthering Heights: I would push Heathcliff OFF a cliff. A story of two horrible idiots who were meant for each other, and never happened.

Great Expectations: It wouldn't have been so bad if it had the original ending, but it doesn't. The original is considered the secondary ending.

The entire Wicked Lovely series: I don't know if you guys have heard of this hot mess, but if you haven't I'd suggest not finding out. The first book was fine, interesting even, and that was all ruined when the Dark Fey attacked in book two. I can't begin to describe how bad this was, and now I've found out there are not one, but three follow up books. So many good ideas that were painfully executed. What hurts the most is that it was suggested by an author who actually wrote a pretty good trilogy.