Julianna
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to Julianna

Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM

Who hasn't read The Outsiders?
Most of us were made to read it in grade 8.
or maybe a friend told you to read it?
or however.
But wasn't it a good book?
Maybe you thought it wasn't?
What are your thoughts on it?
And how come lots of people love it?

I personally don't really know why the people in my class last year loved it.
Maybe because of the theme of the story?
Or how it had some good storylines?
<33

[ morph ]
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 02:13 PM

yeah i had to read it twice.
once 2 years ago and again last year.
it was an ok book nothing too special i though but thats just my oinion

HiddenEmotion
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM

I saw it at the book store today. But I don't know what it is about. Can someone tell me? It looked good.

Jesmond
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Jesmond Send a message via MSN to Jesmond

Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM

I think I read it in 7th grade, but I'm not sure.
It was a really good book, though! I can't believe the author was only 16 when she wrote it, too. I believe she was, anyway. x.x;

HiddenEmotion: I haven't read it in a while so I can't give you a summary by memory, but I hope you don't mind if I copy a summary from a website?

"Ponyboy, Soda, and Darry are brothers struggling to cope with the loss of both of their parents in a fatal car accident. At the tender age of 20, Darry must work two jobs to provide for his brothers and try to keep the family together. Easy-going "Sodapop" has dropped out of high school at sixteen and is working at a gas station. Though there is tension between fourteen-year-old Ponyboy and Darry, and Pony is the hope of the family. He's an intelligent student who may have the opportunity to attend college if he can earn a scholarship—Darry's unfulfilled dream. Even though Pony's intelligence and love of books and movies somewhat sets him apart from his brothers and the rest of their gang, Pony is devoted to them all. A vicious rivalry pits their gang of "greasers" vs. the "socs" (socials)— the wealthy kids from the west side. When Pony and his friend Johnny befriend two "soc" girls at the movies, things become more complicated than ever. Tension mounts when Pony and Cherry (a popular cheerleader) are seen together; deadly violence erupts, changing their lives forever."

Tsuki_No_Miko
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 09:18 PM

I love the outsiders one of my favorite books ever.

HiddenEmotion
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 PM

Thanks Jesmond. Wow, that book does sound good.

Sexy no jitsu
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 AM

It's a good book for the age group that reads it, maybe even a bit younger. I didn't really care for the book since I was forced to read that and the giver numerous times when I transfered through different schools, even in high school. Go lame education?

FuzzyNinjaPenguin
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to FuzzyNinjaPenguin Send a message via MSN to FuzzyNinjaPenguin Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyNinjaPenguin

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 AM

It is a good book.
I would mind re-reading it.
Which I don't think I've ever done.
I'm going to start this summer though.
I have alot of books to re-read.
Like Libba Bray's books.
Oh my gosh.
They are good!
I love them.
=)

sars
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via Yahoo to sars

Old 03-13-2007, 04:06 AM

The Outsiders was the only book I had to read in highschool that I actually liked.
I have read it about 6 times since then... it's just a good, classic book!!!
it's so so so sad when Johnny dies.

Also, the movie was great... it had such an allstar cast!!

Eraser Dust
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 PM

My friend reccomended it to me and I'm going to read it when I get the chance. I can't wait!

Hokuto
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Hokuto

Old 03-13-2007, 11:31 PM

Everyone seemed to love it but I didn't really like it. I saw the movie too... it was a disappointment to me. DX

Julianna
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to Julianna

Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokuto
Everyone seemed to love it but I didn't really like it. I saw the movie too... it was a disappointment to me. DX
The movie wasn't as great as the original book, but I think it was still a good movie. (:
<33

@Fuzzy Ninja: Ohh I also, wouldn't mind reading it again too! I don't think I've heard of Libba Bray, what books has she made so far?
@Sars: It was sad when Johnny died. ):
@Eraser Dust: It is really good, I can't wait until you read it! ;D

Cheyenne
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyenne

Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 AM

i love that book i read it four times already

Chunsa-chan
Sarang hanindea yo~

Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 PM

It was good. I did like it, but it's not one of those books I'm going to want to go and read over again and again.

I read it maybe twice, for school, and saw the movie. I won't dis, because I don't remember much besides the basics.

It was a good thing to show off at that age though (yeah, school, thanks. :roll: ) because of some of the stuff it could teach ya' and the other kids, right before you all trotted off to highschool.

aoikirin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM

I barely remember the book and I do remember watching the movie. There were so many things about the story that pulled on my heartstrings. *sighs*

And the sad thing is, I barely remember the names of the characters now. Ponyboy, Sodapop, Dallace, that's about all.

Chimama
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-22-2007, 05:20 AM

I am so old that when I read "The Outsiders" it had only been published a few years and most English teachers had not yet heard of it. I had already read her next book "That Was Then, This is Now" and eventually read "Rumble Fish"(?) but back then, we read them cause we wanted to, and it also was fascinating to us how young she was when she wrote those books...

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM

I read a few books by Susan E Hinton, since I had like 'The Outsiders' a lot, both the book and the film too =)

But actually, I liked 'This was then, this is now' much better than 'The Outsiders', since I had recently been through a .. well, my life seemed to had fallen apart because my best friend and me weren't talking at all and some of the sentences we exchanged were copycat from the book ^^; The book was the saddest story I never read, just because I was like that at that time.

I never talked to her again, and I will not read the book again.

FinalBlackMage
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 PM

I loved it. After we read it we had to choose scenes and act them out. I had to go on and on about killing a soc. XP (I did a better job than the boys) Hehe.

Mascot Sith
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 AM

I read that book in the 7th grade
._.
Its a good book i guess

Teh Wugginater
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Teh Wugginater

Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 AM

i read that way back when.
Good Book
:D

sapphireaster
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 PM

[.ooh I love that book. I read it in 7th grade. It was one of those books in middle school that I actually enjoyed reading.]

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM

i dont remember reading it!! :o

flaming-Scorpion
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 AM

i read that such a long time ago xD i was in 7th grade!!! I liked it 'high on life' =D i always remembered that line!

shine
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 AM

I read it in grade 7. It was a really good book! Like, usually, the teachers make us read horribly boring books that take ages to drive up the willpower to even turn the page, but I finished The Outsiders all in three days, when we were supposed to read a chapter a day. XD

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 AM

• I read it in the seventh grade. I remember enjoying it because of how surprised I was with the social issues it portrayed. We had lots of discussions and I would keep speaking up about certain parts or writing about it during our free writing periods, instead of writing stories like I always did.

I wasn't too fond of the movie though. ^^;