Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 03-09-2007, 10:10 PM

This topic is related strictly to Tamora Pierce and her books... because if I made a topic for each book she written well.. I suppose it'd be considered a type of spam and well don't want that now do we?

I love the way she writes and the fact that she's not sticking to the male hero but sticks to female heroins in her stories. Her descriptions are fantastic without going so much in detail as to explain the color of the sky and a blade of grass and the different shades... unless it's absolutely necessary to the tale since there's magic and such related to it.

For those who haven't heard of her she's basically aimed at young adults mostly female but I know a lot who enjoy her writing, male and female alike little kids to fourty year old men and women. If you haven't read any of her work I suggest starting out with Alanna: The First Adventure of the Tortall set or Sandry's Book of the Circle of Magic series. After that move on if you really enjoyed.

For those who have heard of her.. what's your fave quartet? Or set Tortall or Circle of Magic? What do you like best about her writing and anything you can think of. Do you know any other updates for a new book coming out soon?

For the Tortall books I'd written out a list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
Alright so there's the Alanna Quartet:
First Adventure
Hand of the Goddess
Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Lioness Rampant

Girl who dresses as a boy to become the first Lady Knight, the first series of the Tortall Realm.

Then there's the Immortals Quartet: (This is Veralidaine Sarrasri)
Wild Magic
Wolf Speaker
Emperor Mage
Realms of the Gods

This is about a girl who'd lost her parents to bandits, and sought revenge with a pack of wolves and lived wild for some years. It starts with her re-entering the human world to learn of her Wild Magic, that she can speak with animals.. and later heal and turn into them.

Then there's the Protector of the Small: (Keladry of Mindelan)
First Test
Page
Squire
Lady Knight

This is Keladry, after Alanna it was allowed for girls to attempt to become Knights. But Keladry was put under probation for her first year to prove herself. It's about her dealing with all the changes of being a girl, out in the open and becoming a Knight. She also has her own plot and quests she has to over come as well.

Then Trickster:
Trickster's Choice
Trickster's Queen

The daughter of Alanna & George. She is captured by pirates and sold into slavery. She finds herself in a family that is in the direct lineage for the daughters to become Queens of the Isles. She makes a deal with the Trickster God to keep them safe, and find a way to get them on the throne.

Then Bekka Cooper:
Terrier
Bloodhound
Mastiff (Not yet released)

This one is set 200 years before Alanna. About Bekka Cooper, George's ancestor who is a City Dog (police officer say). It's written in journal format. She can hear the dead ghosts in spinners of wind, and on pidgeons, carriers of the black god.

You can learn more about each title here:
Tamora Pierce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Circle can be found in the link as well.

Last edited by Rusalka; 12-18-2009 at 05:38 AM..

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-10-2007, 08:25 PM

i've read the first 3 in the Protector of the small and the first 3 in the Lioness quartet. but i think my favs are the Circle books, when they first met and their individual adventures

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 PM

My favorite is the Tortallan Saga over the Emelan Saga, but they're both great. <3

Tsuki_No_Miko
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 AM

My favorite is The Protector of the small...for the fact that it has alot of remembered favorites and new people xP

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 AM

Remembered favorites from the other quartets. <3
I can't have a favorite from all of her books especially in the Tortall Sega. My favorite quartet if I had to choose must be the Immortals because I love the idea of Wile Magic.

Eraser Dust
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 AM

Her books are really cliche. >.< I don't like them.

Tsuki_No_Miko
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale Dragonheart
Remembered favorites from the other quartets. <3
I can't have a favorite from all of her books especially in the Tortall Sega. My favorite quartet if I had to choose must be the Immortals because I love the idea of Wile Magic.
My Favorite character would have to be....Aw I just cant pick xP

Eraser Dust- Almost every single fantasy adventure scifi book is a cliche
because all are based on Archetypes

Teh Wugginater
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Teh Wugginater

Old 03-11-2007, 04:01 AM

i read the Protector series and the Lioness series methinks
i read Tickster's choice and half of Trickster's Queen
i would've finished it if i hadn't had to read so many books for school
and they were boring too DX<
i should go borrow it from the library again
maybe over the summer

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-11-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser Dust
Her books are really cliche. >.< I don't like them.
all fantasy/scifi is cliche because everything is used these days but it isn't the idea that I like but more the writing and the originality of her characters.

KeyKey
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 PM

I love her books!! Its soo good.
I have read: The Song of the Lioness
The Immortals
The Circle of Magic
The Protector of the Small
The Circle Opens
and TRICKSTER'S CHOICE
But the books that I liked most was : The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals.
I like that, its not boys that want to become someting but girls. and how she write is so amasing

But here is her site http://www.tamora-pierce.com/

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-11-2007, 09:11 PM

Ah dear me it's been so long since I've read her books. I read two of her quartets. The Circle of Magic and the Circle Opens. I like that world she created and how each book focus on one of the four kids. I didn't care too much for the other quartets book she has.

faery*angel
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to faery*angel

Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 AM

Well, a few books center on male heroes...

Julianna
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to Julianna

Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 AM

I love the one called, Alanna: The First Adventure!
Its very good. (:
<33

khiro
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM

I haven't read a large range of her works, but what I've read I've really liked!

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 PM

The only books that centered on male heroes was Briar's book from the circle of magic, and Street Magic from the Circle Opens...

My favorite character has to be Briar... he's basically all I wish to be for myself.. confident and witty. Also quite charming.

What do you guys like about her new book, Bekka Cooper, the beginning book to Terrier??

KeyKey
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
The only books that centered on male heroes was Briar's book from the circle of magic, and Street Magic from the Circle Opens...

My favorite character has to be Briar... he's basically all I wish to be for myself.. confident and witty. Also quite charming.

What do you guys like about her new book, Bekka Cooper, the beginning book to Terrier??
I haven't read that book yet. becosue it havent come out yet. if it will come out. :oops: But I want to read it :D

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM

It hasn't come out for you yet? That sucks. It's been out for me for a while and I had gotten it a week after it has been released.

KeyKey
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It hasn't come out for you yet? That sucks. It's been out for me for a while and I had gotten it a week after it has been released.
the thing is that I live in sweden. and thay only have Alanna, and that was some years ago. if you want to read it you have to go to a library, but if you want to buy it you have to buy it from a another country or in a shop that buy books from another countrys like USA and England... :(

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Oh I see that really does suck. >.<
I live in Canada so I don't have that problem... but I knew some countries were slower at getting it released but I didn't think it was THAT bad..

KeyKey
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Oh I see that really does suck. >.<
I live in Canada so I don't have that problem... but I knew some countries were slower at getting it released but I didn't think it was THAT bad..
yes its really bad. but good thing is that my sisters also like her books so we often buy it together. so it wont be that expensiv. but I wish that they would sell it here in a ordenaly shop. :(

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:40 PM

At least there's one good side to it. ^_^ You don't have to buy two of the same book if you and your sister can share...

KeyKey
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-16-2007, 11:25 AM

true. but now my sister have moved away. to another city. and she took all Alanna books whit her. :x I wanted to read them again!! now I have to whait to she come home.

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 03-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Ouch.. ><
That sucks..

mesic
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mesic

Old 03-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Hurrah! I actually came here looking for a post like this!

I LOVE Tamora Pierce. I started reading her books when Alanna: the First Adventure came out, and haven't been able to stop since.
Its kind of embarrassing, because even though I started reading the books as a teenager, I'm 22 now, and I get skeezy looks when I'm in the Young Adult section, browsing for new ones.

I own... all of the books, except the new Terrier one, because I have an aversion to buying hardcover books. The preview makes me itch for it, though... I wonder how she's related to George? And how did the family go from so good, to a band of thieves!?
Augh, tell me, Tamora! D:

Sandry used to be my favourite character, because I'm something of a stitch-witch myself, but I thought she was really weak in "The Will of the Empress", and was disappointed in how she grew up.
My favourite character is now Aly... I loved when she dyed her hair royal blue. X3
Numair is another favourite of mine... he reminds me of my own boyfriend.

HonoRaven
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to HonoRaven Send a message via Yahoo to HonoRaven

Old 03-17-2007, 07:27 AM

I can not choose a favorite... I have loved her work for years... I only with that there had been more to the Tricksters series