Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 09-08-2007, 06:32 AM

I've read the Immortals, Alana, and Protector of the Small, in that order, which happens to also be my order of favoritism. Wild Magic was my introduction to her, and I just loved it. Then I had to read anything the library had of her. I never read the Circle series, or the Circle Open, because my library never had the first one or the third one, and I'm really picky about reading things in order. >__<

x x x butterfly lantern
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 PM

There will always be a hint of favoritism in me with Tamora Pierce - I read her Circle quartet first, and therefore, I have always been fond of it. Reading the Circle (and the Circle opens) was an interesting and captivating experience for the nine year old version of me. As the books progressed, they grew more and more mature, culminating in The Will of the Empress nicely; what began as a relatively simple storyline eventually evolved into something more complex and intricate.

To me, the Protector of the Small series was a perfectly lovely continuation in the universe of Tortall - Neal was made of win and any mention of her flock of bird pecking the eyes out of a poor, unsuspecting opponent always made me giggle. The tie ins with distinctly Asiatic influences was very exciting, like watching a world expand in depth and culture; this was furthered by the Trickster books, both which expounded on a different sort of adrenaline and adventure that neither Kel or Alanna could have demonstrated. Alianne was an entirely different sort of rebel against the 'social norms', but I loved her all the same.

The Immortals, however, was perhaps the only apathetic moment I have had reading her books. I don't know why, but it simply didn't appeal to me.

I was and continue to be very excited about her Beka Cooper: A Tortall Legend series; it promises an very different view on Tortall, something to deepen the world of Tortall by giving it history and perspective. Beka is also a highly likable character with intriguing nuances to her personality and attitude; the little text spent on young George and his mother ruminating on how her son would turn to theivery, what with their ancestor being such a role in Tortall's Provost Guard. Indeed, this series has a great deal of potential to add more flavors and substance to Tortall, the focus being so different than Alanna's Quarter or Kel's Quartet.

Gwendolyr
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM

I first read the Lioness quartet, and fell totally in love with her writing. Of all of the series though, my favourite is the Trickster one- Aly is both her parents combined. Also, it's one of the first few 'longer' books she'd written, which was great.

I can't wait till the next Beka book comes out.

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 AM

love the books
read Alanna's Quartet (i know that's not the name but it fits)
the Circle Opens books,
and loved Trickster's choice *sighs* wish there was a sequel though :(
I wish i lived in Tamora's world sounds much more exciting even when ordinary than what i usually do.

Taviren
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Tamora Pierce's books are great. I've only read the Tortall ones though. Loved the Song of the Lioness Quartet (Read it several times, especially the first book). Immortals was really good. Protector of the Small was ok, but not as good as the other two. I really liked Trickster too (I know there are more books in this particular series, but I've only read Trickster so far).

Aylar
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2007, 02:39 AM

I loved her books, they were really interesting, and I hadn't read many books like it which makes it a lot better. I was angry at Jon for a while on how he treated Alanna.

Cherry Chaos Cat

Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 AM

Tamora Peirce! My favorite author in the whole world I've read every single one of her novels! I loved them all except for Trickster's Choice and Queen they were really disappointing.
My favorite series by her is most definitely the Song of the Lioness series, in fact In the Hands of a Goddess is my favorite book. I thought the Will of the Empress was a perfect sequel to the Circle of Magic and the circle opens.
I'm really excited about her new series Beka Cooper, can't wait for more to come out. Peirce writes in first person view instead of third person which I thought she was great at.

Purple puma
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 AM

Sorry but I've never heard of that author. And When I Skimmed through your first post it seemed the books are more for females than males, just don't yell at me and I only skimmed.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM

I really like Tamora Pierce, but some of her last few books have been terrible. Trickster's Choice was the most boring, mary-sueish thing ever written. GAH. Such a dissapointment.

Sigh. I spent way too many hours of my childhood/preteens reading the Song of the Lioness books. My favourite was The Woman Who Rides Like a Man. Think I'll have to dig them out and read them again.

RoyalSquishy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 PM

I love Tamora Pierce!! she is such a good writer and she describes all her characters and all the places that they go to so well you can just imagine yourself there.

I love the both the series especially the Tortall quartets like the Song of the Lioness, the one with Trickster's Choice, The Realm of the Gods and the one with the Lady Knight and her newest series Terrier. Her characters are so cool because they all have really good skills like magic, fighting and they are all female.

In the Circle of Magic and the Circle Opens series, i love how she displays the closeness between all the people. They share a great bond that makes you envy their friendship. I love the magic and the fantasy of it because she describes it in a way that you can just imagine it fully.

Alanna is so awesome, the ways she fights and her character. I love how she tries to hide her identity and then she uncovers the villain in the story. Her friendship with the guys is really good too. Also i love how all the stories connect with each other and how you can just feel nostalgic when you hear characters from other series in the current one you read.

I really liked The Will of the Empress in the Circle of Magic series and how it shows them all together again. It also makes a great use of suspense on how they are all not as close and how they all become close to each other at the end.

Rinali Lee
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2007, 06:55 PM

*O*!!! I LOVE Tamora Pierce. I still read her, even though it's probably considered beneath my reading level ._.;;

I think I've read pretty much all her books. I loved her "Cricle of Magic" series and "The Circle Opens". Actually, I love all her series (i.e. The Lioness/Alana, The Immortals)

I rarely have a particular book or seires that I can read over and over again without tiring of--I can read all of Tamora Pierce's books every day and still want to read it again.

"Trickster's Chioce" and "The Will of the Empress" were amazing, too. Of all her series, I really can't pick a favorite. ^^;

I favor the series "The Circle of Magic" and "The Immortals", though. And I love Numair and Veralidaine. :3

Aylar
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 PM

George has to be one of my favorite characters from all the books. When Alanna was with Jon I was always hoping she would wind up with George, so I was happy on that account. George was also just a more interesting character than Jon.

I loved the protector of the small books as well. I liked how it stood on its own from the Alanna series, as she ran into her own obstacles as being accepted as a girl page as well as the griffin.

Toasty` Veggie

Old 10-14-2007, 12:33 AM

I love Tamora Peirce!!!

I've only read one of her books, lol, but it was one of the best books I've ever read! xD

I believe it was the Circle Opens - Magic Steps...

Well, regardless of title or series, it was a WONDERFUL book, and anyone who hasn't read it, should. <33

Salient Siren
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 AM

I've read all of Pierce's books, and I enjoyed all of them thoroughly. I started out with the Emelan books, but I actually prefer the Tortall books; I really think the two sides are geared towards different audiences. I always thought that the Emelan series was for younger readers, but as I finished the series, it seemed like there was a lot of "heavier" topics within each book. And the Empress book just seemed like an attempt to get the Tortall audience to read the Circle of Magic books.

Out of all of the series, I think my favorite was the Immortals Quartet because I really liked Daine's personality in that series. I think that she fell a little flat in the Protector of the Small series, which was a little disappointing, but I like that Pierce didn't try too hard to reintroduce the reader to the old heroines in the new books. From a literary perspective, there's plenty to pick at with these novels, but, come on, they're too entertaining to treat like that!

Naleh
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2007, 03:16 AM

I love her, I've enjoyed the Tortall series, I've read The Lioness, Immortal, and Protecter of the small... I hope she continues. I love that place to much for it to go... :cry:

seri kin

Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 AM

I love Tamore Pierce's books, she's an amazing author.I've read everyone one of her books, including the first book in the new series. Loved the new one, it's something different from her other books. A completely different set of characters.

Have to say I find it interesting reading through all her books and seeing how much her writing has improved. My favorite series would have to be Protector of the Small and the Trickster set. I like how Kel doesn't have any magical skills. she accomplishes everything through hard work and determination.

Aly is just a very unique character. Very enjoyable to read about her. Nawat added an interesting twist to the story. He was a cool character.

Deka_theLittle_Ravnos
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Deka_theLittle_Ravnos Send a message via MSN to Deka_theLittle_Ravnos Send a message via Yahoo to Deka_theLittle_Ravnos

Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 AM

I love the Circle of Magic and Circle Opens series......I love the characters in the stories and the events that they go through to grow as individuals.

StormRose
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to StormRose

Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM

Ditto here. I'm reading in a college level (probably above) but I still go back and read Tamora Pierce. I love the Circle Universe, Though I'll admit that the whole new aspect of Daja in the Will of the Empress threw me for a bit of a loop. I love how Briar grew up... well, sort of. Though, I will admit I was hoping for some Briar/Tris. *giggles*

Pierce is one of the few authors that I love whatever they write. her style is simply and unique. Whether its the Circle universe, or Tortall, she's amazing. She knows her worlds.

Aly is my favorite Tortallan, but Tris is my favorite Circle.

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 10-20-2007, 04:19 AM

I LOVE Tamora Pierce's books. My favorites are the Tortall ones. I liked Alanna the most, and recently her book Terrier. I liked the first couple of books where Alanna's daughter was the main character..I think.. It didn't really stand out to me though.

I didn't really like the circle books. They were a bit disappointing to me..

xX Lollipop-Lovely Xx

Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 PM

I've read all of her books, and loved every one. My favorite series thus far would have to be Wild Magic, I just love all the immortals. The concept of Stormwings was especially interesting. I really like her newest book too, Beka Cooper, I believe that's how it's spelled. I can't wait for the next one.

Kyoko Otonashi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM

I just finished Tricksters Choice, and am just starting Tricksters Queen. I'd never heard of her before these books, so now i'm determined to read them ALL! They're so amazing!

I think, apart from it being well written, that i like these books so much is because the people of power are generally women...which is something all us girls can relate to!

The books are so fantastic. I haven't been able to put them down!

Lady Ayasha
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Ohhh, Tamora Pierce. owo I love her books; I've read all of them and own quite a fair sum of them.

I really couldn't pick a favorite or even a favorite between the Tortall series or the Circle of Magic series. They're all just great books. <3

Has anyone heard when the next installment of the Beka Cooper series is supposed to come out? I really love her twist; using first-person was very fresh and intriguing and just as descriptive as all of her other novels. :3

Gwendill
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 AM

can not say i'v read it but from what i'v heard they are good books.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM

I love Tamora Pierce - I've been reading her books for years - and even though I'm a college student - I STILL read them - over and over and over again. I think my favourite is Daine just because I love Daine and I love Numair a lot. But I also love Alanna and Kel and Ally and Beka. I can't wait for her next book to come out for her Beka Cooper series.
and the Circle of Magic series that she writes are amazing as well - I haven't read them as much as Tortall books - but i still love them and i'm an avid reader. if she ever did a circle of magic/tortall crossover i'd LOVE it lol. But really - she's so talented - and i love how, even though it's the same worlds and different people, she manages to create individual personalities - good and bad parts of personality - for each

Fresh Baked Cookies
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 AM

Oo! I finished reading The Circle of Magic and the Circle Open Series AND I finished the Will of the Empress which is a final book of those people. It's so good xD I can't wait to read her books <3