xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 AM

Lachesia; That's good to know, more recommendations for what Krowhop listed.

Hmm, that sounds really interesting. I'll have to check that out as well. Thank you very much for telling me about it. :D

Aah, that makes me feel better. I think too much about what other people think. :) I'll shop to my hearts content now.

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Oh, wait, there's more. XD

Sherrilyn Kenyon does a series based on her interpretation of vampires, which are slightly different than the normal standard; it's her Dark Hunter series. They're the good guys, recruited after dying unjustly, to go beat up the bad rebel vamps who go prey on people. Again, shelved in romance, but decent characters, some smut, and fairly well written. It's another series I buy off the shelf and keep reading, as I enjoy the characterizations.

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachesia
Oh, wait, there's more. XD

Sherrilyn Kenyon does a series based on her interpretation of vampires, which are slightly different than the normal standard; it's her Dark Hunter series. They're the good guys, recruited after dying unjustly, to go beat up the bad rebel vamps who go prey on people. Again, shelved in romance, but decent characters, some smut, and fairly well written. It's another series I buy off the shelf and keep reading, as I enjoy the characterizations.
That sounds interesting too. All the books that people have recommended sound interesting. Though this sound different, so I'm intrigued. I'll look out for.

blu_sour_skittle
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 AM

Laurell K. Hamilton writes about a vampire hunter named anita blake who has an intricatly confusingly woven background and story involving vampires, werewolves, wereleapards, zombies and much much more. She has more books out than I can count. XD

The crimson city series is the definition of awesome.
Crimson City by Liz Maverick
A Taste of Crimson by Marjorie M. Liu
Through A Crimson Veil by Patti O'Shea
A Darker Crimson by Carolyn Jewel
Seduced by Crimson by Jade Lee
Crimson Rogue by Liz Maverick
They take place in LA (aka crimson city) they're about the interactions between the vampire who live in giant skyscrapers waaay up in the air, humans who live on ground level and werewolve that live underground.

Crimson City is about the queen (I dont' think she was actually a queen, but i can't remember what her actual position was) because her brothers were killed by an android and a detective that investigates the crimes with her. She was never supposed to be queen because she broke their laws so she was never taught how to be queen. The detective hates vampires because they killed his wife, but he can't remember because he tried to save her and couldn't and his mind wiped the memory because it was too traumatic. Later on it turns out that he was never married and the wife was not his, but his boss's.

A Taste of Crimson is about a werewolf who is helped by a vampire who is mysteriously drawn to her. the vampire is a Vendix (I think that's what it was), basically a mercenary, because he murdered many, many people when he was first turned. He was made Vendix (as apposed to being staked) because once he came to his sense he was sorry and had never meant to do anything wrong. The werewolf girl is daughter of the most powerful wolf clan. Vampires and werewolves are enemies and it does not bode well for her to be sleeping with a vampire.

Through A Crimson Veil is about a cop whose daughter gets kidnapped by a demon. She is assited by a centuries old vampire who was following the demon back to the underworld so that he could rescue his son who was trapped in the demon world long ago and driven insane by the lack of blood. The cop has a vishtau (sp?) bond with one of the demons and cannot resist him. She mentally hates him, but physically cannot deny him because the vishtau is a spiritual bond, like soul mates or something, but her strong love for the vampire helps.

I haven't read the other ones yet, but I'm sure they're just as awesome. I hope you like them too, if you read them.

Doodlekaboodle
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Doodlekaboodle

Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 AM

i love Anne rice's books!

I'm currently reading 'tale of the body theif'.
my personal favorite was Queen of the Damned, though.

know any other good authors who write vampire stories?

Doodlekaboodle
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 AM

And out of curiousity, anyone here read Michael Slade novels?? They're almost as gory .. but they're not about vampires. i just thought i'd inquire.

blu_sour_skittle
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 AM

You know, I think I'm gonna put this in my favorites so that I can use it as reference for some books to read. XD I've been needing a new vampire book to read.....Although, I should probably read the ones sitting across the room from me so that I can get them back to the library...

I have a book by Christine Feehan. . . Dark Demon. I found it at a random bookstore somewhere. My grandma was getting her sewing machine fixed and I asked if I could go next door to look at the books and i saw it there and it was calling to me. I think it was on sale, too.

Also, Lilith's Dream by Whitley Strieber, I think his name was. I haven't read it yet (one of those library books over there.... :lol: ) but it seems pretty kewl.
He also wrote Cat Magic, it's not a vampire book, but I loved it and it was toootally awesome. It's been so long since I read it, I won't be able to give you an accurate description, but I do remember it was pretty kewl.

Savannah Russe is a relatively new writer, but (if you're like me) a vampire book is a vampire book. She's only go two out so far; I can't remember the first one, but Remdemption is the second one. They're part of the Darkwing Chronicles.
The main character is Daphne, an old vampire who is captured by the government on her way to get a new fake ID because her old one is getting...well...old. She is blackmailed into working for the government along with 2 other vamps and a vampire hating human with a bad attitude. They're looking into a case about strange voodoo magic, I believe. She is forced to turn her bf into a vamp in order to save his life and he hates her for it because he hates vamps and is a vampire hunter.
I have yet to read the second one...

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM

blu_sour_skittle; Lots of people have been recommending Laurell K. Hamilton's books. So I'm really interested in them.

& thank you so very much for providing a description of the books. I really appreciate them. I think I'm going to love these books from what you replied with.

Be my guest to put this in your favorites, I'm glad that this thread helps others.

Hmm. I'll look for these others books that you've recommended. I'm like you, a vampire book is a vampire book. And because of that I like it. xD Well until I read it that is, and if I don't like it it's not good to be called a vampire book. xP

Doodlekaboodle; Anne Rice's books are just wonderful, she writes so beautifully. I have yet to finish The Vampire Lestat, though I can't wait to read the others.

Check this whole thread, lots of people have replied with great authors who write vampire books. :)

KingBitterness
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM

Me, too. ><

But I generally don't like Vampire books.

xD I'm pretty lame, though.

<3333

My favorite vampires were those in shows like Goosebumps. The books were inferior by far to the shows.

Krowhop

Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 PM

Savannah Russe? Defintely on my 'next to read' list. The whole 'I am a vampire, you are my lover, you are a hunter' thing is appealing to me...and, well, I suppose everyone else, otherwise Buffy wouldn't have been as big of a hit, hu?

*looked it up*

The Darkwing Chronicles
Beyond the Pale
Past Redemption
Beneath the Skin
In the Blood
((will be released on November 6, 2007))

Oh, and for the Kim Harrison series? The Rachel Morgan ones? The fourth book has come out, called a 'Fistfull of Charms'... it is really good, like, Nick comes back into the picture and things happen with Kist...it is good. *beams*

AND...the one after that, that isn't out yet, is called For a Few Demons More, and here is the first 2 chapters of IT! *I have god-like powers this way... I look things up good*

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 PM

Wow. Thank you very much Krowhop to looking for the titles of the Savannah Russe books. I appreciate it so much.

Krowhop

Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 AM

Thank blu_sour_skittle. She is the one who tuned my attention to it... and I am SO going to get them all now. Like I said... The subject matter is what keeps drawing everyone to the stories.

Oh, and if anyone likes fanfiction, and anita blake, you should check out pomme de sang, and sourdre de sang ... they are fanfic archives, and some of the stories are really good ((the better ones are on sourdre de sang))

Chroma
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Chroma

Old 03-20-2007, 02:38 AM

Twilight is greaat. :3

Don't know any others though. X,DD

Doodlekaboodle
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-20-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdark_secretsx
blu_sour_skittle; Lots of people have been recommending Laurell K. Hamilton's books. So I'm really interested in them.

& thank you so very much for providing a description of the books. I really appreciate them. I think I'm going to love these books from what you replied with.

Be my guest to put this in your favorites, I'm glad that this thread helps others.

Hmm. I'll look for these others books that you've recommended. I'm like you, a vampire book is a vampire book. And because of that I like it. xD Well until I read it that is, and if I don't like it it's not good to be called a vampire book. xP

Doodlekaboodle; Anne Rice's books are just wonderful, she writes so beautifully. I have yet to finish The Vampire Lestat, though I can't wait to read the others.

Check this whole thread, lots of people have replied with great authors who write vampire books. :)
I will > <

Kagami Freiksu
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 AM

As it stands I am an avid vampire fan, though to my knowledge, most females are.
But there seems to be a problem with most of the vampire novels that have been released recently.
They suck.
Alot.
The authors have seemingly given up and or lost their Muse. This is a sad but true fact.
Even my favorite series by Laurell K. Has turned into nothing but a smut fest.

Anne Rice has nearly ceased writing, and she was one of the few of whom I could read and really enjoy.

Now the only things coming out are sappy wanna be vampire romances.
What happened to all the horror filled blood feast's that have the most intriguingly and complex plot twists that a girl could want?

Where did the characters that we all love to read about vanish to?
This is one very annoyed and peeved off reader, if you can send her ANY recommendations she would love you!

flaming-Scorpion
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiki Nova
Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.

Best vampire books EVER!~
AGREED! THEY"RE AMAZING!!!!!!

edward cullen= <3

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 AM

Ah, another vamp book series, but a 90 degree shift from the others.

If you'd like to read silly, almost fluffy vampire chicklit (yes, it exists) try reading Undead and Unwed, by MaryJanice Davidson. It goes quick, is highly entertaining, and is definitely a different spin on the vamp genre. Who would have thought a ditzy blond who loves shoes would end up Queen of the Vampires? XD

At this point, Davidson's written at least five in this series, so there's plenty more where that came from.

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachesia
Ah, another vamp book series, but a 90 degree shift from the others.

If you'd like to read silly, almost fluffy vampire chicklit (yes, it exists) try reading Undead and Unwed, by MaryJanice Davidson. It goes quick, is highly entertaining, and is definitely a different spin on the vamp genre. Who would have thought a ditzy blond who loves shoes would end up Queen of the Vampires? XD

At this point, Davidson's written at least five in this series, so there's plenty more where that came from.
I'm not a big fan of the fluffy vampireness. Though I'll look for that, just because I'm curious.

Thanks for the help. :D

Krowhop

Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 PM

Was there a short by MaryJanice Davidson in one of the collaborative pieces with LKH? I seem to recall something along the lines of that, different focus being like, something to do with synthetic blood? But it ended up going to some mansion or something where this ditz was in charge, and she had a tall dark forboding ...i almost want to say 'keeper', who handled most things...and she wore a cross, or something??? *is grasping at a half formed memory*

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 AM

Krowhop, I think that was the first story I came across from Davidson, too! Yeah, that's Betsy, the ditz, and her consort, Sinclair, who cameo in that story. Was the main character of that short story a veterinarian? If so, I know which one you're talking about. XD That's her. She's the queen because she's the one vamp who can wear crosses, walk around in daylight, and cuss religiously. She's trying to see if she can actually do without drinking blood, I think.

I think I came across it because I was trying to track down everything LKH had ever written, as well, and thought 'what the heck, it sounds interesting'. XD

dark secrets, fair enough! It's a really light read. <_<

Ari
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Ari Send a message via MSN to Ari

Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 PM

You should DEFINITELY check out Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series (which also has a new series starting from it called the Dream-Hunter series...if you read the books you'll see why) I'm not really good with summaries (since there are 10 books out at the moment and #11 is coming out in August) but you can visit the site and find out a lot of information about the series and the characters. Dark-Hunter.com The series actually gives a twist to the whole Vampire stereotype.

If you're into other Paranormal genres, Christine Feehan also has a good series (with characters similar to vampires) called the Dark Series (you can find out more about the books on her site

I hope this helps some :)

EDIT: Teach me not to read the whole thread >.> I see that Krowhop and Lachesia already mentioned these series XD

xDark_Midnightx
⊙ω⊙
Banned
Send a message via MSN to xDark_Midnightx

Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 PM

If you like bloody and gore,
try Cirque Du Frique
I dunno how to spell it much..but it's pronounced Circ Du Friqe
My friends LOVE that kind of book, maybe you'll like it also?
If you're that manga type of person, umm...
shoot I forgot the title, but ask about a book about a girl who's a guardian of a night class school that the principal holds up.
Something like that I think.

The Mouse
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM

Okay, I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread, so I apologize if somebody has said these already.

I know these are both based on anime, but they're really good books in and of themselves, even if you haven't seen their corresponding series.

Blood: The Last Vampire -- About a girl named Saya who is the only surviving original vampire (as in, she was born a vampire). She 'works' for the American government in the book (who treat her like less than dirt and keep her in a cell). They use her to fight these mutated creatures called chiropterans, who are somewhat vampiric in that they can morph their appearance to look like humans. I'm not going to go into the nitty-gritty, 'cause the book does plenty of that, but it's a fascinating read.

Vampire Hunter D (the series of novellas) -- I don't want to give away too much. The main character is D, who is the best Vampire Hunter in the world. It's set waaaaay into the future, after the Humans have waged nuclear war on each other and pretty much destroyed their own planet. What's left are rundown, abandoned cities and a vast wasteland called the Frontier, which is pockmarked with small towns trying to scrape a living off the desert. The Vampires, called Nobles, who went into hiding before the war (no one knows where), are still at large and are preying on the vulnerabilities of the struggling Human race. That's where D comes in. He gets hired by different people to go hunt down and kill the Nobles who are terrorizing the Frontier.
There's more, but that's the skeleton of it. There are sixteen books in the series, and right now six of them have been translated and published in the U.S. The translator, interestingly enough, is a fan who had posted the translations on his fansite a long time ago but decided to get them published. The fact that the translator is a fan who knows the story and how it's supposed to be means that it's really good.

linalina
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned
Send a message via AIM to linalina Send a message via MSN to linalina Send a message via Yahoo to linalina

Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 AM

*A* omg Twlight is sooo gooooodddd.

-can't wait for the 3rd book-

8D;; -random person-

Charisma
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Charisma

Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 AM

I used to (and still do) love vampire books, try "Companions of the Night" by Vivian Vande Velde, I used to love that one, but it is a YA book, so it's a bit on the short side. Oh, and stuff by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, like "Demon in my view" These are all YA books that I read a few years ago since I've been too busy and lazy to read many adult books lately.

edit - xD crap, both mine were already mentioned.