sam_doll
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to sam_doll

Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 PM

'A Song of Ice and Fire' is a 4 book series and the first one is called 'A Game of Thrones' which is what I'm currently reading. It was a birthday present form my uncle and since I got it I haven't been able to put it donw. But do to school work I had to. I'm just a little over half way through the book but it is so well written that I love it.

My favorite character is Araya, She reminds me of me when I was nine. SO does anyone else like this series?

Krowhop

Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 AM

I read it a while ago,...like, in middle school, and can't really remember what it was even about, but I do recall that it was the same for me, that I couldn't put it down until I was done reading it. I remember it being a good book...but don't remember what it was about, how bogus is that?

What other type of books do you enjoy reading?

sam_doll
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to sam_doll

Old 03-15-2007, 09:00 PM

Well I don't read as many regualr books as I should. (addicted to manga) But when I do it's mostly fantasy. Like 'Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo' or 'Twitches.' I tried to get into the 'Cronicals of Narnia' series but it cound't get past the first book even though it was small.
But one of my all time favorite books that wasing fantasy was 'Memoris of a Geisha.' I saw the movie first and then had to buy the book.

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 PM

Augh. Game of Thrones is the best fantasy series I've ever read so far. I love all of Martin's evil and delightful little twists, and how he's NOT afraid to kill off/horribly maim the characters, be they good or evil or some helpless stander-by. Unfortunately, he likes to kill off a lot of characters I like. Dx

I want book 5 to come out soon. ;_; Stop doing your book-signing tours, Martin! I need my Theon!

As far as favorite character.... damn. There's too many I like. Oberyn Martell probably wins, but Theon Greyjoy, Sandor Clegane, and Jaime Lannister are close runners up. And Danerys. And Tyrion. And and and....

What's great about his characters though, is that even if you hate them, they're still interesting. Usually. And you can respect them in some way. Tywin Lannister, for instance. I hate the man, but he's just so awesome to read about, especially from Tyrion's point of view. But then again, everything is more fun from Tyrion's point of view.

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 PM

I agree with everything Alegretto has said. A Feast For Crows is sitting on my shelf, unread, because I don't want to reach the end of the book and yell at it "but why can't you keep going? I MUST KNOW!" as I have with all the others. I'd like to wait for the end of the series, so I can bury myself in them and enjoy it and not have to obsess over the possible plot variations that have yet to come.

I'm fascinated that he kills off all sorts of characters, and yes, that his evil characters are faceted and also interesting to read.

I do really enjoy the series, but I know I'd obsess over it if I read it as soon as it was released, so I've put it into hiatus.

Martin is evil. Pure evil, in the best kind of way.

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 AM

Lordy Lordy. You made a wise move. Feast For Crows ends on some cliffhangers that made me froth at the mouth from anticipation. They're seriously WAY more evil than most of the other cliff-hangers he's chucked at us already.

Like with Arya. OH MY GOD.

And Jaime gets a billion thousand million times cooler than he already is. I was screaming like a 12-year old girl at an N*Sync concert by the time I was done with his part. I can't believe how much Jaime's developed since the beginning.

HonoRaven
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to HonoRaven Send a message via Yahoo to HonoRaven

Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 AM

I was horribly disappointed by "A game of Thrones" ^_^"
it started out very interesting with all sorts of potential plot twist being hinted at... but then around the middle of the book I got so confused as to who was killing whom, and who was dead that I just could not continue.
I hate giving up on a book, but I really could not see why there was any reason to continue

Kamijo
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-25-2007, 07:13 AM

Aww, pity you couldn't continue. But it does get confusing. It's gotten to where I have to keep a little notebook with records on who did what, and when said events happened. @_@ Time consuming, but this book is too vast for someone as dumb as me. >.> Yet I love it.

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegretto
Lordy Lordy. You made a wise move. Feast For Crows ends on some cliffhangers that made me froth at the mouth from anticipation. They're seriously WAY more evil than most of the other cliff-hangers he's chucked at us already.

Like with Arya. OH MY GOD.

And Jaime gets a billion thousand million times cooler than he already is. I was screaming like a 12-year old girl at an N*Sync concert by the time I was done with his part. I can't believe how much Jaime's developed since the beginning.
Way MORE evil? Good god. It's hard to imagine what more he could do to these poor characters, but now that I've heard there's yet more to come, I think I will hold off. I'm really bad at frothing when I can't continue the story too.

Heh. I've always really enjoyed reading Jaime's part. I'm glad he gets some development! I think I'll have to stop chatting about this, or I'll get so interested I'll read the book. My fingers are twitching already. Must. Hold. Back.

I agree, it's somewhat convoluted, and man, he does jump around between storylines, especially right when something important happens. Plus, he has just SO MANY characters and storylines, it can be difficult to keep it all straight. However, that's also one of the reasons I enjoy his books so much - it reads almost like a history textbook than a novel, just because there are so many people, so many motivations and motives involved in all this. I love it so.

Emo_Kid_Parade
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Emo_Kid_Parade

Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM

At first when I started reading the book I was really into it and went yeah! this is cool, I like the story line and the characters are neat. Then it started to head south, I lost track of which cahracter was which, got tangled up in the plot not know what was going on, what with the switching form character to character(and they all have something different going on) and the fact that they just kept killing off characters like it was nothing! I want to stop reading it, like I usually do halfway through books, but even though i'm disgusted with the book I can't put it down.

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 AM

I read the first two with no problems. They were both very well written. The character I feel the most for is Arya's sister (I can't think of her name right now). She gets a rude awakening as to how the world can really be.

I started to read the third book and I honestly ended up skipping pages and reading ahead because it got convoluted and hard to follow. I have not yet read the fourth book.

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_doll
'A Song of Ice and Fire' is a 4 book series and the first one is called 'A Game of Thrones' which is what I'm currently reading. It was a birthday present form my uncle and since I got it I haven't been able to put it donw. But do to school work I had to. I'm just a little over half way through the book but it is so well written that I love it.

My favorite character is Araya, She reminds me of me when I was nine. SO does anyone else like this series?
I hear good things, my friend says it's good. I suppose I should check it out some time.