Zye
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Zye Send a message via MSN to Zye

Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 AM

I haven't read the books, but I have heard many mixed opinions of many people. Christopher Paolini wrote Eragon when he was 15 and many of my friends/inspiring writers think that it is unfair that the book got published and that their writings are better. Paolini's parents own the publishing company that he is under so I guess he has people in the right places.

B-Rice
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 AM

Honestly I enjoyed it, but I thought it was the biggest star wars rip I have ever read. :roll:

Balthier
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 AM

There's something interesting about this book that I read in a forum on SomethingAwful.com. The amazing part of the book is that a kid wrote it, right? Well, I'd be publishing books too if someone in my family owned a publishing company. Look it up, it's something so obvious like this last name is the company. I haven't looked any further into this, but if that's really the case, I think this book needs to be disowned.

Again, someone just posted that information. I didn't double check, though it looked like a few other people in the forum were interested and didn't correct him.

shosho
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Hmm, I wouldn't say that it's an LOTR rip-off since there are a lot of fantasy stories out there. I don't see the plot being 'the same' other than they're searching for something XD;

This book is definitely not "the greatest thing" ever XD; I personally had a hard time trying to finish this book, too. I forced to finish because I had spent that $8 to see what it was about XD; I was really disappointed with it. I didn't care too much with the whole "He was so young when he wrote this." It wasn't entertaining to me at all ^^;

FM
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthier
There's something interesting about this book that I read in a forum on SomethingAwful.com. The amazing part of the book is that a kid wrote it, right? Well, I'd be publishing books too if someone in my family owned a publishing company. Look it up, it's something so obvious like this last name is the company. I haven't looked any further into this, but if that's really the case, I think this book needs to be disowned.

Again, someone just posted that information. I didn't double check, though it looked like a few other people in the forum were interested and didn't correct him.
Yep, it was published by his family publishing company. That's 100% true. He went around the country promoting it and eventually it was picked up by Knopf or whatever.

I was avidly against the book because 1) it's such a blatant ripoff of Star Wars and 2) Paolini is an arrogant, stuck up prick. He's not even that good... he doesn't have a reason to be so high and mighty.

I finally bought the book because I wanted to see how bad it is. It's not terrible, not as badly written as I thought, but I'm certainly not anxious about finishing it. Heck, I bought it a month ago and I'm about six chapters in - this coming from the girl who has finished a book of a similar size in 12 hours.

I'm still not a fan, just because I despise the author so much.

Also... he was 19 when the final draft was written. The whole "15 YEAR OLD AUTHOR!!!!" was exaggerated as a selling point, because frankly the book wasn't good to sell itself.

Caroline
stay gold

Old 04-05-2007, 12:45 PM

I started reading Eragon two or three ago I think, but I couldn't finish it because it reminded me so much of Lord of the Rings, except not as interesting. :? My brother loves it though.

Your Imaginary Friend
⊙ω⊙
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Your Imaginary Friend Send a message via MSN to Your Imaginary Friend Send a message via Yahoo to Your Imaginary Friend

Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 PM

I always heard from my friends, who enjoyed Eragon, that it was a rip-off of multiple books. >_>

I don't know, I've never read it. I don't really have an interest in reading it. It just never actually sounded very interesting at all to me.

Pink Colored Pencil
n/a

Old 04-11-2007, 03:31 AM

This book are horrible the chacrater were ok but it did not have that special something that made it worth reading. It draged on forever! I have not finished and i will never finish it. I am sorry to say this about a book but it need something to make it interesting.(i usally love all books)To all those fans of this book i am sorry if i offended you but i dislike this book greatly and i wish someone would try to make inprovment on this book becasue the plot is very interesting and it seems like something that i would usally read

Blind_Target
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 AM

I really loved the book. I know it starts off a little shakey but threw out it you can tell that the aurthor himselfe kinda improves more. Yes so what if it has elfs and dwarfs in it alot of other things do to so its not really copying token its just that he is more famous for that kind of stuff and blah blah blah not that manypeople can come up with a good story line for dragonriders or so on what i have read. but this one i was really hooked i love it and i like the world he creates. everything is really thought threw well and i really dont care if poeple thinks a rip off because i know it really isnt its just a guy writing about something he is really intrested in himselfe. We all do it just some cant really make much money off of it ._.;;

violetfaerie
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to violetfaerie

Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 PM

I actually thought the writing was somewhat a bit of the same style as Harry Potter. Nothing compared to the LOTR >><<;;

I dun't even see how its a rip off oO? Is it becuase there is a "group" traveling together. I think thats like comparing apples and oranges =33

But anyway, I have read the first two books and have seen the movie. The movie actually got me into the books. I had seen the books but never really paid any mind to them, until my boyfriend suggested seeing the movie. He fell in love with it, and immediately went home and downloaded the books. THe next day i went to work and got them, and he was finished by the time I had a chance to read them.

THe first book I enjoyed immensely. It was the pleasant fantasy, and i don't mind long books as long as they maintain a building pace. I think it comes from reading a definite number of star wars books :lol: I finished it in a day.

THe second book took me much longer. I tried to read it, from the audio books...but it took waaay too long, I kept falling asleep xDDD I have to read because I read and listen faster than the author was speaking...even when i made him speak faster xDDD

I did not like the second book until the halfway point. Only because he took an extremely long time to build up the action and adventure. I know description is good, but good lord~! He spent half the book which i thought was unnecessary waylaying the impending action and plot. Once it picked up, I enjoyed it again, and was satisfied. =333

Overall, I think its better than a lot of other books. Defintely not the greatest, but I personally would rather read this or see a movie that deals with fantasy to a certain intelligence than other movies I've seen. And I give him his props, he was young when he wrote it, and is still young ^^b That counts for something =333

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 PM

In any fantasy book you can pretty much find something Tolkien or Lewis inspired or similar to their writing. You could say that even some of their work is a rip-off of some Arthurian tales. Hey, you have to draw inspiration from somewhere, right? There will be similarities in everything.

I didn't really like Eragon. My friends and cousins kept telling me how wonderful the book was, so I read it. It didn't live up to all of the hype that they gave it. That's what I get for listening to people's thoughts on books. I should read it and then decide if I like it or not... not compare it to what I think it's supposed to be.

I did hear that Mr. Paolini wasn't happy with the way the movie didn't stick with his plot. His plot wasn't bad, either. I just love details and character development. LOTS of details and character development. I over-analyze things, too. It's my tragic flaw.

Flying Wings
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to Flying Wings

Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 PM

Pretty much a rip-off. I don't like the book but my "friends" keep on saying that they're awsome. Hello, total rip-off of Star Wars! I didn't read the book but I watched the movie and it SUCKED. That's pretty sad if you can tell that it sucks before reading it. xP There's even "I am your father" part in there! My friend randomly looked it up and saw "I am your father". xD And the choke spell? TOTALLY STAR WARS! D;

erica1611
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-12-2007, 09:11 PM

I like the book....a lot and I like the movie as well.

k4it0u
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to k4it0u

Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 AM

• I enjoyed reading Eragon very much <3. Sure, it seems like a rip-off, but nevertheless it doesn't lessen the excitement of reading :] <3.

ROSIE
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 AM

yes!!!
well I have read both books.......
- Eragon
- Eldest
I think they are wonderful Books!!!
although I have seen the movie " Eragon"
But the book was way better..............

I am sure looking forward to seeing the movie Eldest...........

Yumi Mei Flower
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via Yahoo to Yumi Mei Flower

Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 AM

Neither really... It's a different kind of story line with REALLY different kinds of Characters. I've read both series. Not to mention the Eragon book had flaws due to the Author being nieve and not truly understanding very much on different writing Styles or Techniques..... It really just seemed like he took role playing characters and wrote a book about their lives. There was no Art to the way he wrote them like with Lord of the Rings. Not to mention the books are incredibly predictable.... I knew exactly what was going to happen at the end of book two before I even finish book one....

Starshine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-13-2007, 03:36 AM

I think its neither, Lord of the rings is very different from it, and I wouldn't call it the greatest thing ever. I think its entertaining while it lasted, but not something I would ever obsess over.

verya
(-.-)zzZ
n/a
Send a message via AIM to verya

Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 PM

@zeroSenshi12: I totally agree. My sister really built the book up and when I read it, I was let down. It was ok. Nothing great, and it definitely drew from other books/legends but I thought there were some (small) flashes of brilliance in it.

The movie was so horrible. I wanted to leave but the people I was with didn't want to "waste" their money. The script was poor, the acting not much better, the direction was horrible, the cinematography was ripped off of LOTRs. It was one of the more wince inducing movies I've seen in a while.

Eternal.Magic
n/a

Old 04-13-2007, 05:14 PM

I HATE THE DAMN BOOK! It's not good in a way because it reminds me too much of Lord of the rings and Star Wars together.

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainaSpirit
Didn't read it, just watch the movie which seems really under the level of the book. Anyway I think it's a good fanasty book and have good element. Maybe a teen Lotr book but with more fantasy details and easier reading.
It'll never replace some books legend but its good to see some fantasy with some new details anyway. Its a good mix.
i agree with this, the movie like most books-into-movies are sometimes off plot and miss some of the scenes from the book i loved :cry: but on the whole i liked it, personally i don't like Tolkein and found most of his LoTR books a bit long-winded and boring (though the Hobbit was good, Eragon was fun, fresh and quick-paced with something always happening it isn't a classic or an extremely memorable book but it is very good on the whole, -unlike some books i have been forced to read-

Titenya
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM

I don't think it's a rip-off but i did find it extreamly boring

Larele
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM

I saw the movie: Eragon just a bit ago (say a few weeks or more)and my memory isn't all that good, but I remember a large bit of violence o.o. I have read the book, but am not familiar with the series as a whole. I've never seen Lord of the Rings, but from what most say, it is a excellent view! =o Maybe I need to watch it sometime. The ony thing I know (or think I know about the two), is that they are both set in the olde days..17oo's? I' not sure really. xD Chances are I'm waaaay off! D: Yay for fiction? ^^;

Titenya
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM

@Larele yeah you a re a little off... i've seen the movies of both (well.. i fell asleep during eragon and never saw the end of it) and i've read the books for both as well. the books are far better than the movies, and eragon still put me to sleep so i retuned to to the lybrary before i finished it... Lord of the rings.. i've been reading for 20 or so years... i've read it complely 5 tiems i think

Kit
*^_^*

Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 PM

I read the book of Eragon quite some time ago when it was released and had not been placed as a very popular book. To be honest I enjoyed the book very much and could not put it down till I was finished however I can not deny it has similarities to Lord of the Rings however this is no scret since the author admits he received some inspiration and ideas from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. However it is a pretty good book however I have yet to read Eldest. The movie is another case since it is easily one of the worst book based movies I have seen and if I had watched the movie first I might have never read the book. I have wondered if the director ever read it himself.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 AM

I really didn't like it. I felt that it was poorly written. There are talented authors who have a hard enough time getting into the market without publishing houses snatching up every fantasy/Harry Potter esq book they can get their hands on. I realize everyone harps the fact that he was fifteen, but I really don't think that's a good enough reason to publish his book. And most of the plot was clearly taken from other novels, he didn't really make it his own.