RoyalSquishy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-17-2007, 01:50 AM

the books are really good in both the plot and description. It is hard to believe that the author was so young when he wrote the first book. It really has a lot of suspense and action woven in the pages of the two books that came out. I am still waiting for the third book and hoping that it will be just as good or even better than its prequels.

The movie on the other hand was very disappointing. It did not have many of the details that were in the book, including the depiction of Arya. Although many people should know that the movies are not likely ever as great as the book, this movie moved too fast and skipped a lot of important information.

Even though the movie was not that good, the graphics were okay. The setting was beautiful and the dragon was nice even though you could tell it was a fake....so i think you should read the book to feel the full effect of the story.

Nimhdragon
⊙ω⊙
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Nimhdragon

Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 AM

I didn't read it but it does have a lot of similarities of Lord of the Rings.

fallenangel112705
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to fallenangel112705

Old 10-17-2007, 03:06 AM

I've read Eargon and i loved it, but i read the booka nd then saw the movie and i hated how the movie had so manny differences. I don't think its a rip off and i am now reading eldest but i am only on page 36 and i think it is extreamly boring, this is my opinion but if i were you i would ust get eargon and not get eldest and save the 28 dollers you would pay for it.

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 AM

It's much easier to read than Lord of the Rings series. But I never finished one page of Lord of the Rings... that was in fifth grade and the wording, diction, and register, scared the heck out of me!
I love Eragon - haven't read Eldest yet though.

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM

The problem is people do not understand what Tolkien did to the fantasy world. Every book that came out after The Lord of the Rings success (even The Hobbit) was all influenced by his ideas. Elves in particular were the biggest of the influence and The Hobbits being a new species for the fantasy world to indulge in. Eragon is no different then any fantasy novel that was influence by The Lord of the Rings. They even stated that Eragon was similar to Star Wars... So in reality the kid who wrote it was influence by these things. I read the books and I see the similarities and the differences but I don't think it is the same as The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. People just don't understand what Tolkien actually did. He changed fantasy for an entire generation and then some. So any work of fantasy was heavily influenced by The Lord of the Rings.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 PM

Stab it. STAB AND BURN. Honestly, this kid didn't rip off LOTR.. He ripped off Terry Brooks, who ripped off LOTR. Not to mention Paolini's lame plot, terrible purple prose, stereotypical characters and general irritating tone.

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiralisha
Stab it. STAB AND BURN. Honestly, this kid didn't rip off LOTR.. He ripped off Terry Brooks, who ripped off LOTR. Not to mention Paolini's lame plot, terrible purple prose, stereotypical characters and general irritating tone.
-_- Like I said before no one riped off The Lord of the Rings... That book was a foundation for change to the fantasy genre. So many books were influence by it and took much of the lore from Tolkien's world.

I know because I studied Tolkien's work and learned a lot about the influence he had on writers. Even C.S. Lewis has some influence to his work.

SerenityLives
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 PM

Wow.
The big debate o_______o
I'm to scared to throw out my 2 cents so I'll just read everyone else's comments instead DDD:

Syrinx330
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 PM

I really liked it, but once my friend mentioned something, it actually has the plot-line of Starwars.

Eragon = Luke
Brom = Obi Won
*spoilerish* Highlight if you want to see these ones.
Murtagh at first equals Han Solo, but then Luke in a way. Only first book.
Second book, you find out that Murtagh and Eragon are brothers, meaning Morzon is kind of like Darth Vador because Darth Vador was the disciple of the Emperor, in this case Galbatorix.
Also in the second book, there is the elf that helps out Eragon, he is like Yoda.

I would like to say that Arya is like Princess Lehya, but she isn't really related to Eragon (I'd hope), and she doesn't have a fling with Murtagh.

So plot:
Farmboy who is living with his uncle has his farm destroyed and runs off with the local story teller to go save the galaxy/kingdom.

Sorry, I'd have more to say on the subject, but I've had too much lack of sleep to think clearly.

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 AM

I really liked this book. I have both Eragon and Eldest, and I can't wait for the last one.

But I do think that Christopher wants to be like Tolkien, which won't ever happen. But it does have the chance at becoming modern children's literature.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 AM

While I hear the book is good, I could not stand the movie! >__< The acting was terrible, and things just didn't flow in a believable manner for me. The only nice part was that the dragon was nice looking, but CG effects don't sell a movie for me.

I'd be willing to give reading it a shot though, since my mom and brother own the first two and love it. I just feel a bit tainted knowing what happens already.

.Poisonous.Cyanide.
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to .Poisonous.Cyanide. Send a message via MSN to .Poisonous.Cyanide. Send a message via Yahoo to .Poisonous.Cyanide.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:59 AM

I haven't seen the film, so I can't really say what I thought of it, but, the first time I watched the trailer, I have to admit I thought it looked like a LOtR rip off

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 AM

From what I heard about the book, it's actually very much based off a book from the 70's.. About dragons, a sign on the hand...

I don't believe it was based off of Lord of the rings. They are different. But none the less, I believe the writer did rip someone off. I just don't remember who because my friend told me all about it and I have a bad memory... It is also said that he ripped it off from star wars XD

Ale
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM

I haven't read the book, but I have picked it up, and I can see the *very obvious* similiarities between it and LotR, Star Wars, the Pern series...

Plus that made up language made me want to rip out my hair.

Laitha
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Laitha

Old 10-25-2007, 12:39 AM

It's not necessarily the greatest thing I've ever read, I can think of several books that I liked better.
But I definitely don't see where people find basis for the series being a LOTR knock-off.
Most fantasy books have races such as elves, dwarves, and dragons in them.
I didn't notice Frodo making friends with any dragons though, or any hobbits (or similar creatures) in Eragon.
Besides, I like Eragon much more than I liked any of Tolkien's books, except for The Hobbit.
His others were kind of tedious, not at all my type.

Niren
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-31-2007, 07:12 PM

Eragon is an okay book but I will not re-read it like I do some other books but I did like it. It had very good description and it is hard that a fifteen year old wrote the book.
It is not like Tolkin's books but it is still very good, though if I had to pick between the two too re-read I would choose Tolkins books. I liked his a lot better even though they are hard to get into.

helaia
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 PM

I hated Eragon. The book might be better, but honestly, I hated the movie. It was really bad, and the story line just sucked.
I have to give kudos to the author though for being (what 17?) when the book was published. That is a major achievement, but I HATED the movie more than anything I can recall in my hatred of movies.
If I could spit on something in anger, it would be this movie.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 AM

Book was very good, movie was the worst thing I've ever seen. I really don't see how its a rip-off of Lord of the Rings at all though :/

Exploited Genius

Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 PM

At first, I stopped reading Eragon, it was too boring, also, I was ten years old :P and it was difficult for me to swallow it in one gulp (sorry if that doesn't make any sense) i started reading it again when I was eleven, i love it now.
About Eldest... I skipped over most of the Roran and Nasuada parts until the end, then went back and read them. I don't think they fitted (fitted or fit?) with where he put them. Also, I wanted to see what would happen with Oromis/Arya/Eragon/Saphira. But I ended up reading that book about three times until my friend Monet got tired of seeing me carrying it around for three months.
You guys know that the Inheritance trilogy isn't a trilogy any more? Paolini's gonna split the final book into two, because it was too long (also, it would make more money that way). But yeah, it's the Inheritance Cycle now...

Fred Weasley
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 PM

I think Eragon is okay. It just lacks character I really like. Murtagh is pretty aweome, though ^_^

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM

I like the Inheritance Trilogy. I also enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy..

and they are not the same at all :? so I don't see how Eragon could EVER be a LOTR ripoff. First of all, its about DRAGONS. Not rings and dark lords. Second, the story line is way different than LOTR. In LOTR, they have to destroy the ring to destroy the dark lord..and its all about war and what not...Eragon is about a Rider and his Dragon, trying to overthrow an evil king...

I guess the only similarity is that there are elves? and elvish languages? I don't see the whole "rip off" thing going on.

helaia:: agreed on the movie. they rushed it soooo much and left out sooo many good things.

Exploited Genius

Old 11-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enniel
I like the Inheritance Trilogy. I also enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy..

and they are not the same at all :? so I don't see how Eragon could EVER be a LOTR ripoff. First of all, its about DRAGONS. Not rings and dark lords. Second, the story line is way different than LOTR. In LOTR, they have to destroy the ring to destroy the dark lord..and its all about war and what not...Eragon is about a Rider and his Dragon, trying to overthrow an evil king...

I guess the only similarity is that there are elves? and elvish languages? I don't see the whole "rip off" thing going on.

helaia:: agreed on the movie. they rushed it soooo much and left out sooo many good things.
I agree with you so copletely it's almost scary.
I really didn't like the movie AT ALL. They made both Eragon and Arya BLOND! they couldn't even get the darn hair colors right.

inseCuREly
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-04-2007, 08:22 PM

As mesic said on the first page, I'd compare it more to DRoP before I'd compare it to LotR - and don't get me wrong, I love LotR to pieces.

Sure, there may be a few similarities between the two, but like has already been said - that's sort of expected, considering the genre. It can be difficult to be wildly creative with things such as elves, dragons, and dwarves, which already have so many years of stereotypes and expectations on them. "Elves are tall, beautiful, lithe, long-lived, and skilled with magic." "Dwarves are short, strong, often bearded, and mine/forge for a living." "Dragons are huge, powerful beasts that fly and breathe fire." See where I'm going with this? It can be difficult to tear away from these stereotypes, as I know from experience (because I, personally, love the stereytopical elves xD).

That being said, I really don't see why someone would bother comparing the Inheritance trilogy to LotR at all. The only real similarities were the genre, and the races, as I already mentioned. There are so many fantasy books like this out there, why don't they go off calling those LoTR ripoffs?

That being said, the movie was terrible. I was horrified when I saw what they did to the characters, especially Arya. I think the best things about the movie were how good a job they did with Saphira, and Murtagh's actor. xD

Bunnyy
Proud to be nekkid since '08.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 AM

• i've read both eragon and eldest and i think that they are both really good books, but i also think the movie was pretty crap.

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 AM

Edit.

Last edited by Smellerbee; 12-04-2010 at 05:13 AM..