Lilithia
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink
Silly me, I came here to...discuss books. :?
Fixed now. :D

Pink
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Why thank you kind moderator. XD

I've always wanted to read a romance novel, but I don't want a trashy one. And, I know I'd have to sift though them to find one that wouldn't make me gag.

My mother reads them, and they all usually have a Scottish theme to them...men in kilts I guess. :o

Any suggestions on some that aren't to...mushy?

Ari
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Ari Send a message via MSN to Ari

Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 PM

I have to say that Nora Roberts is probably my favorite ROMANCE romance author. Though, I've found I prefer her In Death series under the penname J.D. Robb more to my liking sometimes :) My favorite type of romances are the ones that aren't really romances at all! They're more of a fantasy/sci-fi/mystery type story with romance weaved into it...where you're taking a journey and something blooms within two characters (sometimes expected, sometimes not!). Those hook me more than the standard Girl meets Boy, Boy pursues Girl, Someone does something wrong, Fight ensues, Make up sex, happily every after books. Don't get me wrong I love all romances (and the last sentence was more of a stereotypical grouping...I know not all straight romances are like that) I'm also a Huge fan of the Paranormal Romances. Vampires, Demons, Angels, Incubi and Succubi. I just finished reading a new book called Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead. WONDERFUL. I hate reading new books though. Especially since they always become series....and I have to wait for the next book to come out! I also love the Spice novels from Eharlequin. Many different authors writing steamy stories. The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (though it's technically a mystery series) is also good. It's got a lot of Sexual tension in it, but it keeps you on your toes because you are in love with both men in the book that are trying to get Stephanie's attention :)

My first romance was Forever by Judy Bloom. I had to hide it from my mother and secretly read it in bed at night. This was back when i was in middle school and man, I really loved it. To this day it still holds a special place in my head.

Ok enough of my rambling. I'd be happy to discuss any of this with you all!

Gund
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 PM

yeah, nora roberts is good but she kind of gets repetitive, do you know any better romance authors? i want to branch out but dont know who to try. michelle magorian was who i meant i think who wrote a little love song.

Aeris
Mistress of Materia!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM

I'll have to talk to my mother, she has tons of authors written down that my family all really likes. Lately, I've been reading this one author that is completely riveting. (Of course, I can't remember her name. XD)

I think what gets me the most about romance novels is great, witty dialogue. If two characters can really converse well, I just love reading how they manage to find themselves in love.

There was this one romance novel that I absolutely adore that was about this girl who was a genius with the piano, and rose up from her lower middle class to become famous pianst in duet with the man she loves.

It ends up completely different than what you might think, and it's really sad. I wish I knew the name and author. XD

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Hmm, I've read some romance novels, but my favorite stories are ones with a little bit of historical fiction mixed in.

Honestly though, I prefer the "classical novels", especially Pride and Prejudice. The movie was OK, and I actually found the story plot quite annoying because nothing made sense to me (the first time I watched it.) But then, I had to read the book for English class, and fell in love it. The dialogues are so witty, and the small jokes doesn't hurt either. I just think it's so romantic between Lizzy and Mr.Darcy, and if it were told in the present tense more people would probably appreciate it.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 AM

ROMANNNNNNCESSSSS HAHAHAHA

i like admanda quick XP ( hehe the historical version of nora roberts LOL)
i like judith mcnaught
i like johanna lindsey
i like catherine coulter ( sometimes)
i like judie Garwood

to name a few XP
Basically i like the victorian period
and i like HAPPY ENDINGS!!!!!!

i like admanda quick basically because most of her females are "originals"
or basically one with a high status

i started off with judith Mcnaught i think
LOL..

which reminds me
one of my friends read romances with me
and we always wonder
how it is possible that
she reads alllll those romances and yet do not understand what goes on between a man and a woman to make babies LOL ( thats off topic )

Some of catherine coulter books are okay, some i just couldn't finish reading. I don't really like angst that much XP
And i don't like situation where the female lead gets raped by any other man besides her male lead. And i don't like it when the male lead did it for evil reasons XP LOL..

and i don't read civil wAr periodic romances

i am pure and innocent!!!!!
MEOW!!
hehe

Cineria_Amore

Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 PM

I absolutely love romance novels!

Do you read romance novels? Of course!

What attracts you to the romance genre? Because it reaches my heart! I enjoy reading a book of that genre, and also most of the books that have romance also have angst, drama... and comedy!

Who is your favorite author?/What is your favorite book? My favorite author? I really don't know, but I love how Diana Palmer write her novels, they are wonderful! but I don't think I really have a favorite author... I also love Nora Roberts! she writes so beautiful!

Aloro
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Its not really a novel, and it was a school reading, but Romeo and Juliet was priceless. I love sitting there and figuring out how he uses his words, and the older English techniques. Its where I get my poetic talents from!

orangelust

Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Jennifer Crusie. But I absolutely love her books. My favorite would have to "Anyone But You" Not only are they romance novels, but they always make me laugh. I get sucked into the depth of her characters, that they're real, and you feel like something similar ould happen to yourself, and that it's not just a book.

But I've read so many romance novels, and own so many, that they spill out of my book case and my dressor.

I definitely recommend reading Jennifer Crusie's books.

Aloro
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 PM

Oh and what about poetry? I write romance poetry type things, which tells about my feelings at a certain time.

Lennifer
*^_^*

Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 PM

• I'm still someone who wouldn't pick up a romance novel. x) I generally don't like happy endings. X) And books that envolve entirely around falling in love.

However, if a romance, isn't meant to be a romance at all (it's a little on teh side in the book) I generally enjoy it and find it an amusing attatchment to the main story. IT's when it takes over the entire story I don't always enjoy it. x)

I doubt it would be called a romance novel/series or anything, but the Noughts and Crosses series was a book I really enjoyed. There was romance in it, but everything kind of went horribly wrong, maybe.

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 AM

i started reading romance around thirteen. but i dont really have any favorites or favorite authors because i've only only read a few.

Mythical Rose
n/a

Old 04-13-2007, 04:03 PM

I love reading romance novels. Not sure what age I was when I started reading them.

My favorite authors are:
Christine Feehan
Johanna Lindsey
Lynsay Sands

Too many to name

My favorite book is (I have alot of favs):

The Knight and the Rose Isolde Martyn
The Raven and the Rose Virginia Henley
A Year and a day Virginia Henley
Hearts Aflame Johanna Lindsey

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Robot Jane

Old 04-13-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Sorrel
  • I can't stand most romance novels. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I don't like the ones with the woman with her bewbs hanging out in the arms of a tan, buff guy with really long hair on the cover, but some are actually good. I like ones that don't center around romance but have other things in them too.

And smut is nice also.

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Tamerthanthou

Old 04-13-2007, 05:39 PM

You should not let me talk about this topic. I love romance novels!

Let's see... My favorite authors are Jo Beverley, Lauren Willig, Mary Balogh (I cannot wait until I ger Simply Love now that's it's in paperback), Gaelen Foley, Lisa Kleypas Shannon Drake, and Jane Austen. If you couldn't figure it out by now, I love historical novels.

Jo Beverley is the one that began it all for me when I was thirteen when I read Forbidden Magic. Surprisingly, that's not any of the books involved with her Rogues or the Malloren's but even so, it still has a special place in my heart. My favorite book out of all of her's is Devilish but I love all of them.

Mary Balogh was the next one I read, but unlike Jo Beverley, I went in order of her books (except I skipped A Summer To Remember) and started with Slightly Married. I love that book!

Gaelen Foley is another one of my favorites because I love her Knight's and the Ascension novels. I cannot wait until her Indian-based Knight novels comes out!

Lauren Willig's books I didn't even read for the romance, unlike the rest of the aforementioned. I just was interested in her spies idea and read The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. I was hooked! So now I'm just waiting for the fourth of the series to come out...

As for the rest of them, I've only started to read their works recently except one very notable one. Ms. Jane Austen. I love Pride and Prejudice and I'm so glad that they made a new adaption to it (that is surprisingly well done) since I could never get my hands on the BBC one.

So that's it. It being my love for love.

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Jane
Quote:
Yeah, I don't like the ones with the woman with her bewbs hanging out in the arms of a tan, buff guy with really long hair on the cover, but some are actually good. I like ones that don't center around romance but have other things in them too.

And smut is nice also.
I agree with what you said. Most of them with pictures like that on the cover are sucktastic and not worth reading. I also can't get them because in case my mother stumbles upon them, I'll be screwed. She thinks I'm reading novels similar to Pride and Prejudice. If she knew what I was reading, she'd have a heart attack, God forbid.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-14-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerthanthou
Quote:
Quote:

And smut is nice also.
I agree with what you said. Most of them with pictures like that on the cover are sucktastic and not worth reading. I also can't get them because in case my mother stumbles upon them, I'll be screwed. She thinks I'm reading novels similar to Pride and Prejudice. If she knew what I was reading, she'd have a heart attack, God forbid.
haha i read those XP
but i don't buy those *nods*
i buy safe covers XP
but now with alot of the new editions
the covers have all been changed to nice safe covers ;P

O p h e l i a
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And smut is nice also.
Probably a part of the prejudice towards those kind of books comes from the covers :?
I know I would never buy a book with those kind of cover regardless from the quality or the godibility of the story itself

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-14-2007, 07:41 AM

yeah
but some of the stories are really humourous and such
johanna lindsey's books are mostly those covers XP
but her stories are quite alright hehe

Lady blu
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 PM

Yes, I read romance novels--I love the fact that they almost always end happily. I tend to lean toward the intrigue or the historic, but I'll enjoy anything that catches my eye. My favorite all time book would have to be Pretend You Don't See Her by Mary Higgins Clark, but I also enjoy Susan Andersen, Catherine Anderson, Sandra Brown, Julie Garwood (historical romances), Sandra Hill, Anne Stuart and several others. I'm an avid reader, and love to find novels that I can engross myself in again and again.

QueenBee
*^_^*
n/a

Old 04-15-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris
When I was 11 years old, my mother introduced me into the world of romance novels. Since then, I have read so many that I can hardly remember characters, titles, authors, unless they were very special to my heart.

My favorite author would have to be Julie Garwood, even though lately she's been more present day rather than the historical that I prefer.

Nora Roberts is also pretty good..

My favorite book would have to be Remembrance by Jude Deveraux though. It has such an interesting plot, and it always sucks me in. I always get so emotional when I read it!

But I guess I just need a dose of seeing people get together and fall in love, and live happily ever after. (even though there are a rare few that don't end happily)

So what about you guys?

Do you read romance novels?
What attracts you to the romance genre?
Who is your favorite author?/What is your favorite book?

Discuss <3<3<3
I have a very similiar story about my introduction. I feel that I've read so many that I could easily just pop one out and send it to publishing. They're all essentially the same after so many. I still love a good trashy romance now and then. If only men were really like that.

Cyzzane
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Cyzzane Send a message via Yahoo to Cyzzane

Old 04-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Occasionally I do read a good romance novel. Every person needs a little bit of fluff in their life. I enjoy a good historical plot line and an interesting side story to accompany my romance.

Earlier in my youth I was attracted to the Harlequin Intrigue novels and still enjoy them from time to time, mainly because I like the mystery and suspense. I too enjoy a good Julie Garwood, Castles is my absolute favorite.

A friend introduced me to Stephanie Laurens, Catherine Coulter, Jude Deveraux and many others that I still enjoy. I like things that are well written and don't feature graphic descriptions - honestly I'm not reading them for that anyway!

But I think that overall when you're in a mood for something light hearted that you know will end well Romance is defintely the way to go.

In that same vein, several of my books that I couldn't finish are from this genre - Shanna, Hellion, and some others. Just a little too graphic for my taste and the girls were too wishy washy.

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 PM

If I'm going to read a romance novel, it's probably a romance novel from the fantasy or old west genres.The fantasy romance book is most likely published by Luna Books, too. ^^ Catherine Asaro is my favorite. Among her romantic fantasies are The Charmed Sphere, The Misted Cliffs (My favorite!), and The Dawn Star.

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroSenshi12
If I'm going to read a romance novel, it's probably a romance novel from the fantasy or old west genres.The fantasy romance book is most likely published by Luna Books, too. ^^ Catherine Asaro is my favorite. Among her romantic fantasies are The Charmed Sphere, The Misted Cliffs (My favorite!), and The Dawn Star.
I read The Charmed Sphere as well and enjoyed it. And for those of you who are saying you don't like smut, that one didn't have smut in it but it was a good romance and had an interesting plot to it as well.