Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 AM

Has anyone read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series?

It starts with...big surprise... "Outlander", continues with "Dragonfly in Amber", "Voyager", "Drums of Autumn", "The Fiery Cross", and "Breath of Snow and Ashes."

The story is actually shelved in romance, but I believe to the bottom of my soul it belongs firmly in fiction, because it's written so well. In fact, when I worked in the bookstore, I did reshelve them there because I felt so strongly they should be there.

Gabaldon has a talent for good prose and good characterization, as well as an amazing grip on historical detail. These are not short books. The plot blurb starts out sounding like a stereotypical time travel plot, where a lady accidentally falls through a stone circle and lands in 1740's Scotland, right before the Jacobite uprising. However, it's so much more than that. Gabaldon doesn't shrink from looking at the dark and tough details of life in that time, and does a wonderful job portraying a woman who does her best to adapt to the situation in which she finds herself.

However, I love these books to death. Gabaldon does so well in setting up the story, verbally illustrating the world, their concerns, and the coming Jacobite war and the difficulties of how to choose sides in such a fluid situation, I fell right into them and fell in love with the characters so completely. Yes, it's also a love story, but it's one of those epic love stories which just puts the rest to shame, and at the same time, keeps it rooted in the essence of real life. I am a Jamie/Claire shipper, to the ends of time. As is my friend; we will get on the phone and discuss plot points for hours.

Has anyone else read these? If anyone enjoys historical fiction, VERY light on the love scenes, but long on detail and historical accuracy, pick these up. I highly, highly recommend them.

I have not yet read the spinoff John Grey-centric stories; I imagine I will eventually, but his storyline interests me much less. For those who have read the John Grey books, are they decently good? Up to her usual standards?

Zorayas
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM

I've read, and loved, all current books in the Outlander series. :D

They are indeed difficult to place under a single cathegory. There's Romance, History, Fiction,...

I've read the John Grey series as well. He's my personal favourite character. Although I love the character I have to admit I didn't find the books quite as appealing as the main series. The first book is a bit like a detective, certainly not a bad novel, a good book even. But not as briliant as the Outlander series.
The second book I liked even less, it contains three short stories, none of them realy caught my attention. I personally thought that they weren't written as well as the Oulander ones. I found the plot not to be quite as interesting either.
But that could just be me :D .

kmaritza

Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 PM

I've read all but A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I bought the first two at Goodwill last year and after reading them, I was hooked. My hubby got me the next three for Christmas. Now I need to buy the newest one so I can read it.

Has anyone listened to Gabaldon's podcasts? It's fun to hear what she has to say about the books.

My favorite thing about the books is how well-developed the characters are. They're so well written that it is easy to get invested in their stories.

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 AM

I haven't listened to her podcasts, but A Breath of Snow and Ashes was very intriguing. I won't give anything away, but it made me happier than it made my friend, in terms of where the plot went. XD

I also love how developed the characters are, and how well she folds historical detail into a well written plot. It's why I see it as fiction and not just straight romance, because I can sympathize so well with the characters and get so invested in nearly every single one of them. I care so much what happens to them.

Thanks for the comments on the John Grey series and the short stories, Zorayas. I may just check them out of the library, but you've re-cemented my decision not to buy them right off the shelf.

Zorayas
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-25-2007, 02:39 PM

You're most welcome, I think :D
As a fan of Diana Gabaldons books you realy should read them once,
but checking them out in the library may be a wise decision :D

winterrose2007
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to winterrose2007 Send a message via Yahoo to winterrose2007

Old 04-28-2007, 06:39 PM

I have read all her books, and I absolutely love them. I think they are amazing!!