magikjaz
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to magikjaz Send a message via MSN to magikjaz Send a message via Yahoo to magikjaz

Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 PM

bram stoker's Dracula.

I love horror novels and i *love* vampires ... but I got about 1/3 into the book and it just wasn't getting any better. So i quit.

eliechan
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko79
Holycow XP
i mean if its 2/3 page of describing a bishie
i am not even sure i will be even to sit through that
let alone a shelf with no relevance?
was she writing a detective story or something LOL?
I could probably sit thru 2/3 page (or even 2 or 3 pages) of describing a bishie *-*

ChibiPillow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliechan
I could probably sit thru 2/3 page (or even 2 or 3 pages) of describing a bishie *-*
I think I could endure that too *__________* <3 XD

Airuin
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-24-2007, 10:45 PM

:shock: Folks didn't manage to get through some of the Harry Potter books? Wow. One or two of them were rather dull (compared to the others), but they are "light, fast, easy" reading for me. The Lord of the Rings & the Hobbit, I can understand not being able to get through, although I've personally read all of them several times through. I think I gave up on The Silmarillion though - at least for the time being. I will probably finish it at some point. I loved, loved, LOVED Beowulf, and am looking forward to a couple hours' time to sit and read Grendel.

Usually an avid reader, there aren't many books that I can remember not getting through except for Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. I thought it would be a good tale to read, but OMG it was beyond tedious and even my determination didn't manage to get me through that one! Even thinking of it now is enough to put me to sleep... *yawn*

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 AM

I pretty much finish a book if I pick it up and start reading it, but the question is when will I ever pick it up? I tend to buy a large bunch of books and start going through them, but I usually get distracted about halfway through. Then the books that I didn't get to lie around unread until I remember them again. ^^;

But there is one book that I have never finished, and I believe I am cursed to never do so because the libraries are forming a conspiracy against me. The book was The Mists of Avalon.

[ Maxxyne ]
⊙ω⊙
n/a
Send a message via MSN to [ Maxxyne ]

Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 AM

Stephen King - Cell. Honestly, it's the shortest King novel I've seen, and I can't finish it. It's impossible to get into. I think it's been sitting on my shelf for about 3 months. That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Zorayas
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikjaz
bram stoker's Dracula.

I love horror novels and i *love* vampires ... but I got about 1/3 into the book and it just wasn't getting any better. So i quit.
I finished Dracula, but I didn't like it much either.
The fact that it was written in the form of a journal appealed to me least of all. It turned out to be a very boring book. :(

magikjaz
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to magikjaz Send a message via MSN to magikjaz Send a message via Yahoo to magikjaz

Old 03-25-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorayas
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikjaz
bram stoker's Dracula.

I finished Dracula, but I didn't like it much either.
The fact that it was written in the form of a journal appealed to me least of all. It turned out to be a very boring book. :(
exactly! and grammatically it drove me crazy. I mean, I was never really good at grammar and punctuation and all that crap in school, but even I could tell when the sentences were worded wrong or just damn clumsy.

and BOOOOORRRRRING!!!!! you hit the nail on the head

` Toxic Whispers
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Eragon. XD I think it's too long.
Any story from the Sherlock Holmes mystery.
That series never caught my attention. Most of the mysteries were sort of lame and the endings were surprising. :/ The clues were complicated sometimes. xDD

Emo_Kid_Parade
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Emo_Kid_Parade

Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Prepare for a long list...

Harry Potter
The Cronicals of Narnia
The Little Princess
Way Side Stories
Dark Destiny
Twitches
Utah Blane
The Education of Little Tree
A Painted House
A Rumor of Dragons
Sean

And I know theres is a lot more I just can't remeber their titles.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliechan
Quote:
Holycow XP
i mean if its 2/3 page of describing a bishie
i am not even sure i will be even to sit through that
let alone a shelf with no relevance?
was she writing a detective story or something LOL?
i can't LOL....
i mean...
Maybe throughout the whole novel
it will be fun
but to finish describing him in one page is like....
boring?
LOL

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-26-2007, 05:00 PM

The one book that I haven't been able to finish is The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. To me it's not that interesting, or it isn't at the point I am in the book. Though I want to finish, I'm just forcing myself to.

AkashaHeartilly
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to AkashaHeartilly Send a message via Yahoo to AkashaHeartilly

Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 AM

Highest on the list is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. That man needed a fucking editor! Someone to tell him describing every fucking piece of bladed grasss, his horribly written sngs, and the back history of everyone and there family's is not needed to make a book good!

Not one of the books did I get through. In the first one, it came down to the council scene. Were everyone is like "i'm bladdy blah! and my family is durka durk, and I have dody do! So let me tell you all about our country, my family and everything, take 5 to 10 fucking pages just to tell you no." I loved the movie for this. just cut it out and got right to what was needed.

But no, he needed an editor, just because he was an Oxford professor of Language, does not instantly make you a good writer, every writer needs an editor.

There is also Dante's The Divine Comedia, I think for me it comes down to the old language and reminds me of how reading Shakespeare makes it impossible to understand unless you watch it.

And the other right now is "The Illumanatis Trilogy" I just did not have the time and will go back and finish it.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 AM

actually i quite enjoy shakespears
i enjoy the thees and the thous and the literature classes XP

ChibiPillow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
actually i quite enjoy shakespears
i enjoy the thees and the thous and the literature classes XP
I enjoy plays in general~ *____* Because I love acting them to myself while I read XD Really like Shakespeare too even though I haven't read much of his plays. One of the faults of not studying English literature here, as we focus on language itself even when we've gotten past the basic stages. The only books you get encouraged to read are very low level children stories as it seems teachers consider you don't want/don't have the abilities to read other things.

But then my classmates hated the short Shakespeare extracts we studied. Romeo and Juliet, thees and thous and all the vocabulary gave them headaches XD Maybe I'm maso? <_<

P o i P o i i i
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-27-2007, 12:30 PM

Dan Brown's Da Vinci code ><;;

when i heard the movie was released, i chose to watch it instead of reading it ><;;

i think, the book was better

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 PM

I didn't actually enjoy the book much either - it was interesting but on the other hand it's not like those kind of theories were new to begin with. I don't understand why the Catholic Church made such a huge deal out of it - well, I guess because those theories became popular since it was released.

Not that they can't be proven right .. or wrong.

I haven't been able to log here for a while, and when I am back, I am -460g :roll:

Darkie
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 03-27-2007, 09:38 PM

I usually finish the books I start, regardless of if they're good or bad. XD I`m just too curious.
But I could never finish any of Diane Duane's books no matter how many times I tried. XD (So you want to be a wizard series.)

Chance
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 PM

I agree with Poii that Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code wasn't as good as the movie. Had no idea how I finshed that book. xDD;;

I was never able to finish any of Jane Austen's books. Dunno why...>_>;

kafine
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 PM

Books I have started reading in recent years that I have not made it through;

The Dark Side of the Sun, Terry Pratchett (this was just rather poor).
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (I got about 2/3 of the way through the trilogy, and I liked what I managed to read!)
Falling Sideways, Tom Holt (did not really get it at all).

I can't remember if I finished the Dirk Gently books, I think I might have.

Bippy
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 AM

hmm books I just can't seem to finish...

The Tale of Genji
Shougon
Witch Child
Christ the Lord- Anne Rice

Tagia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Ulysses isn't a book that many people finish, I find. Myself included. Not nessisarily because I couldn't (though it was hard going) but because I hate James Joyce, the elistist bastard. xD

Books I couldn't finish -

Master and Commander
Lord of the Rings
Jane Eyre

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P o i P o i i i

when i heard the movie was released, i chose to watch it instead of reading it ><;;

Er..if you never finished the book, how would you know that it was better than the movie. (I agree with you, but I actually read the book, from beginning to end)

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 AM

^ I never finished Jane Eyre either...I know the plot and watched the movie, but 30 pages into the book I just couldn't read it for any longer.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplixity
Quote:
Originally Posted by P o i P o i i i

Er..if you never finished the book, how would you know that it was better than the movie. (I agree with you, but I actually read the book, from beginning to end)
Maybe she read like half?
or at least some parts which was protrayed by the movie
thus she could compare?