Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Tamerthanthou

Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 AM

Why were you reading All Quiet on the Western Front in an English Lit class? I thought he was French...

I read an excerpt from The Red Badge of Courage once. It wasn't anything special.

I liked The Odyssey. The Illiad was good too, although I didn't read as much of that as I did the former.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerthanthou
Why were you reading All Quiet on the Western Front in an English Lit class? I thought he was French...

I read an excerpt from The Red Badge of Courage once. It wasn't anything special.

I liked The Odyssey. The Illiad was good too, although I didn't read as much of that as I did the former.
It wasnt english lit that we were reading that one in. It was World History AP. I couldnt get into the book. </3 war novels just arent my thing.
I havent read the odyssey yet. I would like to however. Ive heard alot of good things about them ^^
[edit] wow i didnt realize how i had written my first post. sorry for the confusion ^^

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 AM

Don't worry about it. Oh... Yeah, because I was learning about that book in my AP Euro. We didn't read it, I just remember our teacher commenting about it a bit. The Odessy is good, but I only liked it because my teacher explained it well. There were parts I would have been lost on if I had read it alone.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerthanthou
I liked Beowulf. Grendel, however, was horrible! I forgot to mention that earlier. It was the weirdest book ever...
I was the opposite with those two. I didnt like Beowolf (It wasnt actually a book though was it? wasnt it an epic poem? which means it would be italicized instead of underlined? XP I dont remember it was a few years back XD)
He was just to haughty and full of himself. I liked Grendel. You could relate to him. He was kinda shy and alone and just wanted to be loved. Like most high school students. He was just trying to find his place in the world (which apparently didnt exist ): ) Beowolf just pissed me off D:<

Tianfu
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-16-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouse
I am very jealous of people who tell me that they were required to read The Hobbit early on in school. I WISH my teachers had asked me to read that. As it was, I didn't pick it up on my own until about 9th grade--sad, but true. u_u
Heh, I actually had to read The Hobbit my freshman year of high school. Unfortunately, it sounds like more fun than it actually was. My teacher got all of the so-called "background" to Tolkien's world out of an old D&D book, so of course it was wrong. By that point, I'd already read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings many times and was partway through the Simirilian, so like the obsessed freak I was, I got so annoyed at that, I didn't really have much fun reading it in class.

Skada
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Skada

Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM

I really really didn't like The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I was in a private academic boarding school, and the whole thing I kept thinking "if we're gunna read a coming-of-age novel, why aren't we reading something relevant?" Which I guess is not really a fault of the novel itself, but more of the circumstances around it.

Emperial
Unknown Empress

Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Man, ack, all these people hating on Lord of the Flies! It breaks my little heart, because I love that book!

However, I have to agree with the "like Beowulf hate Grendel" sentiment.

Grendel was a whiny emo wanker. That was one of the most frustratingly stupid books I was ever assigned to read! It sucked majorly. I wanted to flog the teacher that assigned it. Just what teens need, wore whiny emo tripe! I wanted to smack the character! And the author! Burn the book! Rip out the pages! Erase it!

Beowulf, on the other hand... It's a really old epic poem and I still enjoyed it. It's stood the test of time I think. Unlike--

The worst book I was ever assigned to read was Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. It's the equivalent of having a screw turned in your head. It is utterly mired in outdated style and it was just excruciating to read these sentences that go on and don't end for four pages. Like, learn to use a period, James! END YOUR DAMN SENTENCES.

I finished it, and then successfully argued with my teacher to let me write the assigned paper on something else.

My most favorite piece of assigned reading was probably Shakespeare's King Lear. Kudos to the teacher for assigning us that play. I mean, we did Romeo and Juliet four times in my school career and I've never much liked that one, so it kinda put me off Shakespeare until we got to King Lear and it was great. That Earl of Gloucester was so great.

By the way, middle and high school teachers, please STOP DOING ROMEO AND JULIET. That whiny emo stuff was good the first time. It was kind of okay the second. But around the third time it was painful. Shakespeare wrote how many plays, now? And we keep doing that one why?? (Granted, I did Julius Caeser twice in school, but Caeser rocks. I got that speech by Marcus Antonius memorized.)

So, yeah, hated assigned reading award goes to The Turn of the Screw, Grendel, and Romeo and Juliet, The first two for being awful and the third for being completely overdone.

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I have never had to read Romeo and Juliet and I don't think I ever will. All the kids in my grade did it in eighth grade but I didn't because my elementary school had a high school so they did it as freshmen, but in my school we read Much Ado About Nothing, which I thought had a much better plot and I know about Romeo and Juliet so I don't really need to read it.

Skada
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Skada

Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperial
Man, ack, all these people hating on Lord of the Flies! It breaks my little heart, because I love that book!
Same here! I adore Lord of the Flies, and so badly want to rescue Simon every time...

Dreamer
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 PM

20,000 Leages Under The Sea.

I wanted to kill people, from just readnig the first few chapters.

Also, it was the unabridged version. So it was like, "OMG WTF IS HE SAYING!?"

And then we had to tell what happened. -______-;;

ladyshi
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 PM

I absolutely hated Lord of the Flies when I studied it last year. I am currently loathing Enduring Love & The Pardoners Tale...I didnt think that the required reading list could get any worse. Boy was I wrong...

meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM

We had a teacher who wrote a book about Simenon (I'm a French speaking Belgian, by the way).

He pushed Simenon on us for two years. EVERY required book was a Simenon. And when it wasn't a specific book, we still had to pick one of Simenon's books. I HATE the author, I hate the topics of his books, and I will never willingly touch anything he wrote again XD

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 PM

I really didn't enjoy reading The Great Gatsby. It just didn't strike my fancy at all. I absolutely could not stand The Old Man and the Sea and The Pearl. ICK!!! I'm sure there are more that I read that I blocked from memory because they were so painful. T_T

Most required reading I have liked, or at least told myself that I liked them until I actually did.

Rainbow Carrot
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-16-2007, 10:32 PM

My least favourite was 1984, I think it was called. I forgot the author(never really cared enough in the first place to learn his name. xP) I opened the book, read the first few pages, and hated it that soon. It was just so ...boring. And disturbing. We had to watch the movie later, and that was even worse.

Another was Jurassic Park. I was never a fan of dinosaurs. I love dragons, though. I didn't even like the movie. u_u

I'm just not a science fiction fan(Or anything similar). D: I like my fantasy~!

Naeru
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 PM

I hated a passage to india, and I didn't like the great Gatsby either. They were very historical and I didn't understand the plot line no matter how hard I tried.

Emperial
Unknown Empress

Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperial
Same here! I adore Lord of the Flies, and so badly want to rescue Simon every time...
You too, huh? What is it about that Simon? He's just so... underappreciated on the island! Down with the other kids! Simon forever!

And do'ith, I love 20,000 Leagues. I never tire of reading it. How is it one person's hated book is another person's love? So much for books holding universal truths!

fourohnine
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to fourohnine Send a message via MSN to fourohnine

Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skada
I really really didn't like The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I was in a private academic boarding school, and the whole thing I kept thinking "if we're gunna read a coming-of-age novel, why aren't we reading something relevant?" Which I guess is not really a fault of the novel itself, but more of the circumstances around it.
Are you serious? n.n;

Perks is one of my most favorite books ever. I guess maybe I'm just sentimental, because it was given to me at a time where the content was... well, very relevant to my life. It was a very comforting book to me, because it touched on some subjects I was very familiar with.

I think that, as far as coming of age novels go, Perks is one of the best... Especially since it's geared towards the newer generations. It's relevant to what kids today deal with.

QueenBee
*^_^*
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 AM

Dog Song and anything by Steinbeck!

cyanideislove
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 AM

Feather Boy by Nicky Singer. It was stupid and waaayy below our level.

LadyDelaidra
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-19-2007, 02:54 AM

I hated reading 1984. DDDD:

HATEHATEHATE.

I don't even know why. I think it was just too dry or boring for me or something. >___>;

*This coming from the girl who reads Tudor history books in her spare time*

Mary
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-19-2007, 03:13 AM

I hated a Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver, Tangerine, Raptor Red, and a lot of other stuff that I don't even remember.

mesuchan
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mesuchan Send a message via MSN to mesuchan Send a message via Yahoo to mesuchan

Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 AM

Uhm....I didnt really like The Great Gatsby and completely hated Cry, the Beloved Country

Amelie
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Amelie Send a message via Yahoo to Amelie

Old 04-19-2007, 03:49 AM

Oh A Tale Of Two Cities normalyI really like Dickens but this book...ick....see this is what happens when someone get's payed by the word.

Blooded
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 AM

Lord of the Flies, it took me forever to get through it. I just..hated it. >.<

Amelie
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Amelie Send a message via Yahoo to Amelie

Old 04-20-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooded
Lord of the Flies, it took me forever to get through it. I just..hated it. >.<
I just had to read that, got board and only flipped through the last ,eight I think, chapters.