zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 07:12 PM

I know you all love to read, but where do you like to read? Do you like to read by a window? In your room? Curled up on the sofa? Laying down in bed? Outside on a park bench? Where?

Personally, I love to curl up in our oversized chair that sits right in front of the window and read. I especially like to read there in winter, since our wood-burning stove is lit and everything is very warm and cozy.

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Tamerthanthou

Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 PM

I read primarily laying on my bed, because that's really the only place I can read. The couch usually has a dog or two on it and we don't really have any armchairs. During the summer I sometimes read on our hammock outside, however. It's really calming. During the winter I do sit on our couch sometimes (I push the dog away), but only if my father has built a fire in the fireplace.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM

My prefered place is in on the toilet, not actualy using it, just sitting on it. Or anywere in the bathroom. Otherwise i have a summerhouse at the top of the garden, i like to read there.

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM

My brother does that, too, Sun. He'll sit in there for hours. This morning I didn't even get to go into the bathroom while getting ready for church... he was in there for over an hour and a half!

When I have had an extremely stressful day I take a bubble bath and read while soaking. It is very relaxing. I haven't dropped a book in yet, either! (Having said/typed that, I should knock on wood now, eh?)

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 08:05 PM

In the bath.

:D Which is probably one of the most dangerous places to read. But I'VE not lost a book yet. Just my German notes. My dad dropped one of mine in once.

Otherwise, on planes, trains, cars... or in bed.

Wendy Darling
Second Star to the Right

Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM

It varies on the type of book I'm reading.

But oddly enough, my favorite place to read is in the bathtub. I can concentrate the most when I'm relaxed, warm, and. . . submerged in water. :o

The words just flow easier that way. XD

Other places include out on our back porch, in the grass outside, in the car (if I'm THAT bored), etc.

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Addiction
It varies on the type of book I'm reading.

But oddly enough, my favorite place to read is in the bathtub. I can concentrate the most when I'm relaxed, warm, and. . . submerged in water. :o

The words just flow easier that way. XD

Other places include out on our back porch, in the grass outside, in the car (if I'm THAT bored), etc.
Hahaha! Yes, me too, I just wrote!

: ) The bath's the best. I commonly sign off MSN saying it's bath, book, and bed time. Not that I'd sleep in the bath.

And outside is lovely so long as it isn't too windy. : O

Wendy Darling
Second Star to the Right

Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaitealatte
Hahaha! Yes, me too, I just wrote!

: ) The bath's the best. I commonly sign off MSN saying it's bath, book, and bed time. Not that I'd sleep in the bath.

And outside is lovely so long as it isn't too windy. : O

Yep, yep! That's how my away message reads most of the time too. XD "Reading in the tub," or "bathtime," and people know what I mean, most of the time because I do it so much. XD

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-22-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Yep, yep! That's how my away message reads most of the time too. XD "Reading in the tub," or "bathtime," and people know what I mean, most of the time because I do it so much. XD
I sometimes take my textbooks in there, when I have to read them. xD

And it was hilarious the other day. I was reading a set text that my mind just wanted to wander on, so I took it in the bath, found I still had the same problem, so I read it aloud as well.

@__@ And did accents and different voices and everything.

My sister was outside the door, all "...I CAN'T be related to you."

But hey, I finished it.

Wendy Darling
Second Star to the Right

Old 04-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I sometimes take my textbooks in there, when I have to read them. xD

And it was hilarious the other day. I was reading a set text that my mind just wanted to wander on, so I took it in the bath, found I still had the same problem, so I read it aloud as well.

@__@ And did accents and different voices and everything.

My sister was outside the door, all "...I CAN'T be related to you."

But hey, I finished it.
You're joking, right?

I DO THE SAME THING. x_x; XDDD;;

My sister laughs at me when I read some British literature like Once and Future King and do all the different gruff men's voices. But it makes it so much believeable and understandable (especially if you're doing it for boring class or don't understand the book).

Wow. Since someone else does it besides me, I guess I'm not that crazy after all. XD;

sfrenata
Send a message via MSN to sfrenata

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun
My prefered place is in on the toilet, not actualy using it, just sitting on it. Or anywere in the bathroom. Otherwise i have a summerhouse at the top of the garden, i like to read there.
It is the BEST place to read. Guaranteed no interuptions.. unless your family is over you staying there for a half hour +
.. luckily my flatmates just think Im quirky for doing that.

Otherwise I love reading in cafes.

leonaenae
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-23-2007, 05:13 AM

Ahh places to read, I get a lot of reading done in the bathroom haha. Whether it be sitting there or relaxing in the tub.

Now for the regular places, curled up in a big comfy chair, or on the side of the couch, though I do get a lot of reading done in front of the computer while I wait for pages to load...we used to have dial up.

But really I can read anywhere, because everything just disappears from the background, and if someone wants to get my attention they have to physically touch me, and not just a soft poke but a shove haha.

gemini_swede
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via AIM to gemini_swede

Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 AM

I like reading outside. I like reading at the beach and I used to read a lot when we would go to the water park at 6 Flags New England. Well, I read whenever I wasn't swimming anyways. A big window seat would be nice too, but I definitely love being out in the sun, despite my tendency to get burnt.

Tianfu
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 AM

I actually prefer to read things on the computer. It's easier on my eyes, for some reason. I also have a vascular condition in one arm that makes it extremely painful for me to hold a book open for long periods of time and reading lying on my back pretty much impossible. So if I feel like relaxing, I take the laptop with me to bed instead of a book. I'm considering switching entirely over to e-books.

Renji
⊙ω⊙
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Renji Send a message via MSN to Renji

Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM

If I'm on my way to somewhere fun, either driving in the car (passenger, of course) or on the bus. I can't concentrate well on a plane, because I'm slightly scared of flying.

Otherwise, in my room, but then I get tired so...

Syd Barrett

Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Laying down in bed or in the bath.
I'm lazy. :lol:

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You're joking, right?

I DO THE SAME THING. x_x; XDDD;;

My sister laughs at me when I read some British literature like Once and Future King and do all the different gruff men's voices. But it makes it so much believeable and understandable (especially if you're doing it for boring class or don't understand the book).

Wow. Since someone else does it besides me, I guess I'm not that crazy after all. XD;
I'm no longer concerned my sanity's taken a vacation on me. xD

I was doing Kurtz - "A voice! A voice!" - from Heart of Darkness and had to try putting on this husky, dying, yet PROFOUND whisper while getting lightheaded from the heat of the water.

xD It was so much fun.

Actually, my friends and I have decided to reread our set texts again in our frees before the exam, taking turns in doing it out loud and such. It really helps get it stuck in your head, I think. : x

And gets it done faster because it stops your mine from wandering.

^ ^; And I suffer selective hearing when I read. Half the time I'm not hearing, the other half I'm just ignoring people when they're talking to me, pretending to be under the former. I hate being interrupted when I'm reading.

vampyface69
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM

wen i do read, i either sit in my bedroom.
i can't read wen the tv is on or if there is noise around me cos i distracted easily so i prefer 2 sit outside (wen its nice n warm) and enjoy a gd read

Wendy Darling
Second Star to the Right

Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I'm no longer concerned my sanity's taken a vacation on me. xD

I was doing Kurtz - "A voice! A voice!" - from Heart of Darkness and had to try putting on this husky, dying, yet PROFOUND whisper while getting lightheaded from the heat of the water.

xD It was so much fun.

Actually, my friends and I have decided to reread our set texts again in our frees before the exam, taking turns in doing it out loud and such. It really helps get it stuck in your head, I think. : x

And gets it done faster because it stops your mine from wandering.

^ ^; And I suffer selective hearing when I read. Half the time I'm not hearing, the other half I'm just ignoring people when they're talking to me, pretending to be under the former. I hate being interrupted when I'm reading.
". . . stops your mind from wandering." -- Exactly my point. :o

Quietness around me tends to make my mind stray towards different things. The smallest sound can make me look up, stop reading and completely lose all sense of concentration and forget what I was previously reading.

Doing the voices just kinda. . . I dunno. It gets me hooked, I guess? Plus, it's so much easier to imagine them in character and not as just bland people saying words in a book. Adding your own twist on ths voices brings out the real character -- or at least, how you picture them. ;D

I used to do that with Harry Potter all the time. Then when the movies came out, I went ballistic. "That's not how the characters are!" Truth was, I had depicted them a different way in my head due to me reading their parts (and listening to the casette tapes, but that's another story :D).

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-24-2007, 01:32 AM

It depends on my mood and the type of book I'm reading.

If I'm studying/doing a worksheet/taking notes along mith my book, I prefer to be lying down on my bed or my floor so I can kind of spread out my detritus.

If I'm trying to relax, lying on my back in bed or in the bath is good, but usually only for light reading like comic books, magazines, maybe a good comedy or adventure romp like Pratchett or Gaiman. (I made the mistake of reading a thriller/suspense book in the bath once (Shutter Island by Denis Lehane (who wrote Mystic River) and I read the last 150 pages forgetting where I was until the water was cold and mostly drained.)

If I'm settling down for a "serious" reading stretch, there's not too many good places in my house. The armchair inthe family room in comfy enough and close enough to the kitchen for snack, but we have a laptop right next to it and it's far to easy for me to think of something while reading and bring up the internet to google/wikipedia/IMDb/whatever and then I lose my momentum and train of thought, so it's not optimum.

I do like the idea of outdoor reading, especially for classics likeWalden, Whitman, and Twain, but the wind tries to be as detrimental as possible by blowing my pages or my hair in my eyes (or my drink over) or I have a bee trying to read over my shoulder and sting my face, so I usually give up. I would like to take a four day camping trip and bring a couple thick paperbacks along. Just me and my girlfriend, Mr. Twain, and some 'Smores. And probably beer and fish, to be certain.

My dream reading area would be my study. A nice pair of leather recliners/wingbacks wingback recliner preferably. With footstools (from Blaine!)) with a table in between and a fireplace and a whole wall of shelves for my books. Plus a little bar area with a sink, liquor cabinent, teapot and range, and a minifridge. Maybe a stereo with a small selection of light blues, jazz, and classical music.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 AM

anywhere away from my children! if theyre there they start grabbing at the book adn ripping ht epages D: it breaks my heart
and so late at night i lie in bed and i read. at least thats what i did before. when i was able to get sleep at night. before the twins were born. now reading has somewhat become a thing of the past... except for talking to people online and reading what they have to say. but thats not as cool.
i need a break from kids. D:
[back on topic]
i love reading in fluffy comfy places. if its not fluffy i bring a blanket and make it so. i hate reading sitting up. lying down is the best. unless the light is weird becaus ethen you have to turn over after every page adn that just gets annoying reallly really fast.

Empress7727

Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM

i like to read in my bed, covered in my blankets, with a snack nearby, i get hungry when i read. ^.^
and its the only quiet place in the house.

Caroline
stay gold

Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM

• I usually lie in bed or on the floor, but I absolutely love reading at the beach on a sunny day.

Azura
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 AM

I like to read on a rainy day snuggled under my blankets. It doesn't matter where, just as long as i have my blankets with me. xD

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 PM

I like to read at my desk, it distracts me from my studies but meh.