.n.e.r.d.y.
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to .n.e.r.d.y.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM

I'm a big reader, I love to read.

Harry Potter is one of those books, all of the Harry Potter's actually. The books and the movies differ on so many levels, so I like to read the books before and after the movie is released.

I was really angry in the 3rd book, when they didn't mention who created the marauders map in the movie, I thought that was a BIG part of the movie, and they didn't even mention it.

Also, Ella Enchanted, honestly, I'd rather read the book then watch the movie. The movie just makes it so...not real, when the book makes it seem somewhat real.

What books or movies do you know where the movie doesn't compare to the book? Or vice versa

Tazaki
*^_^*

Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM

While I wouldnt say they are my favorite books but they are better then the movies made from them.

Eragon- Movie was nothing like the movie. If you wish to hear my thoughts on the movie jump over to the movie area and browse for the Eragon thread, its in there.

Queen of the Damned- The movie compared to the book was way off. The movie had nothing to do with her story at all. Kinda makes ya sad if you've read the book.

Just two that I can think of atm.

Koaimi Shino

Old 04-28-2007, 11:27 AM

You're right about Harry Potter. Although I think they did really well with the movie, the characters and landscapes are (almost) exactly as I pictured them...well, actually, I watched the movie before I read the books XD I was only 10 when the first one came out....but they could've showed that Gryffindor won the Quidditch cup in the third move, I thought that important XD Oh well, at least they remembered to throw Harry off of his broomstick! I wonder what creative way Rowling makes Harry fall off his broom in the 7th book...?

Um...I can't think of any other books at the moment XD

Cyzzane
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Cyzzane Send a message via Yahoo to Cyzzane

Old 04-28-2007, 06:27 PM

This list goes on and on for me.

Harry Potter - all of them, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Sphere, Timeline, Congo, Queen of the Damned (but oddly I prefer IwaV as a movie).... and oh so many others that I just can't think of off the top of my head this early in the day.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 04-28-2007, 08:36 PM

I gotta agree with Eragon. That movie was the most disappointing thing I've ever seen, even worse than the 4th Harry Potter movie.

Dakota Wolf
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-28-2007, 09:27 PM

I have read the books "The Outsiders" and "Animal Farm" and my english teachers have said that the book was far better then the movie because the movie was really inacurate.

Colossia
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-29-2007, 03:25 AM

The book Pride and Prejudice was better than most of the versions that have come out, including the latest one with Keira Knightley. The only version I liked was a BBC miniseries, with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, and even that one had some odd casting.

And there has been no movie that could hold a candle to The Wizard of OZ.

I believe at least one Andre Norton book was made into a movie...Beastmaster? Movies: forgettable. Books: classic.

I guess in making a movie of a well-loved novel, you have to decide what parts can be left out without significantly damaging the story. LoTR has been fairly successful, even without Tom Bombadil, and ditto for the Narnia one.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 04-29-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossia
And there has been no movie that could hold a candle to The Wizard of OZ.

I believe at least one Andre Norton book was made into a movie...Beastmaster? Movies: forgettable. Books: classic.

I guess in making a movie of a well-loved novel, you have to decide what parts can be left out without significantly damaging the story. LoTR has been fairly successful, even without Tom Bombadil, and ditto for the Narnia one.

I agree about Oz, the first book was horrible to read. It was really dry and not very well written in my opinion.

I agree about LoTR, but I still think they should have included Tom Bombadil in the extended edition :( Narnia was on par with the book for me as well, surprisingly. I think that because movies based off of books had been so accurate, I got my hopes up a lot for Eragon, and just got let down a lot.

Colossia
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-29-2007, 05:46 AM

?? No...I liked the Oz book better than the movie. :) Sorry if that wasn't clear. The other 13 books were even better - I guess Baum found his stride later.

Yesh, lots of readers were angry that there was no Tom scene...if only because it provided the travelers a respite from the Barrows horrors. And it was so homey-English - like the beavers who feed and comfort the Pevensy kids before leading them to Aslan.

There's a Tom Bombadil song out...I bet it's on youtube.

DeniedUltraSex
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to DeniedUltraSex

Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 PM

>> Most books are better than movies.
Only people who don't read would disagree.

milerubi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 AM

Harry Potter I think.

I'm not telling that the movie is bad. No. But they simply need to cut the story so much that we can call them a book-murder!

Jesmond
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Jesmond Send a message via MSN to Jesmond

Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniedUltraSex
>> Most books are better than movies.
Only people who don't read would disagree.
Agreed.

But in specific, Battle Royale comes to mind. Not an American film, but hey.

bana
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 AM

I can't even think of a time when a movie was better than a book. o _o;

Well maybe 300, but I'm not sure if graphic novels count as books. They were pretty much the same, but the movie just made things prettier and gave the queen more of a plot.

Most things that are brought to film from a book are butchered in some way, sadly. D: Harry Potter's the only one I can think of at the moment. There are always just certain favourite moments that just don't get included in movies, and that pisses me off. ;;

Morien
*^_^*

Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Lord of the Rings, of course. I actually liked the Peter Jackson movies, but the books are a million times better. And the Bakshi version shouldn't have been allowed to exist. Rankin-Bass at least had the decency to make great backgrounds.

Chronicles of Narnia. As bad as the BBC versions were, they were more charming than the most recent one.

Harry Potter. 'nuff said.

Series of Unfortunate Events. You just can't get that amazing writing to translate wonderfully to the screen. You just can't.

Pride and Prejudice. I, too, adored the BBC version, but the new one fell flat. And Colin Firth is the ONLY Mr. Darcy.

mild_obsession
Send a message via AIM to mild_obsession Send a message via MSN to mild_obsession

Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 AM

It wasn't a favorite book, but Ella Enchanted was wayyy better as a book than as a movie. The movie just flat out failed in my opinion. I didn't like the way they changed the storyline. Maybe it was a little less corny..but it wasn't as amazing.

altrondragon
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to altrondragon

Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM

Hunt for Red October ids a great movie but the book is better cuase it answers a lot more questions that were left unsansweered in the movie.

2010..great movie and one of my favorites but there are a few key things that were left out form the book that would of answered questions as well,

Kirsch
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM

I totaly agree with the first post. The harry potter books are a lot better than the movies! - espicialy the 4th film. I realy disliked it.

Most of time books are better then film because you use your own fnatasy to imagine the charackter. You should only watch the film if you haven't read the book

grilled
n/a

Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 AM

In like 90% of the time, the book version is always better than the movie. Unless they made the movie first and then wrote the sequels in books.

Rukia Kuchiki
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 AM

"I also believe Eragon was far better as a novel than a movie. The movie, I found, skipped over to many of the important scenes and didn't focus enough on the ones it did show.

"The Harry Potter movies could also use a bit of tweaking.

"Otherwise, I don't watch enough movies and read their corresponding books to put any more."

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 AM

the chronicals of narnia was such an awesome book series. the movie... was such a let down. and i didnt like the way alot of the characters looked. it just wasnt how i pictured them. and the fawn looked adn acted like a child predator to lucy, adn i didnt like lucys buck teeth either. D: the books just pwned the movie so bad. and they switched things up and made everything so confusing in the movie... yeah.

and harry potter. they pick and choose some pointless scenes that dont go together and then put them together! why i ask you why? theyll take a little bit of each plot line going on and pretend they covered the whole book, but it just doenst work. theyre stretching themselves too thin. get rid of a couple of minor plot lines and get the movie to flow. will it kill the book, kinda but its better then killing both the book and the movie. imo.

[edit] and the da vinci code. the book was so much more interesting. i was so into the book i read it in a day i just couldnt put it down! the movie... i walked away and made some brownies and random other things because it just didnt capture my attention.

stormsangel

Old 05-09-2007, 07:13 AM

The Harry Potter books were definitely a lot better than the movies. They keep leaving out scenes that really shouldn't have been left out andas the books got longer they've gotten worse.

Eragon is another book that was a lot better than the movie. In the movie the mixed up the scenes and cut out so much it was ridiculous!

Blaidd_Tywyll
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Whether in storyline changes, out-of-place or missing detail, or characters written out entirely(think Phantom of the Opera, if you've read the book), there is simply no way that a movie can convey all the nuance the written word can. This is due to one all-importent factor. Imagination. Books tell you enough to let your mind see what the author saw. They convey in writting what an actor does on screen, but in your mind it's what the author intends. I've seen people who are confused, come across as constipated, or stupid. Where the movie only shows one expression at a time, our mind can fill in a dozen to match the emotion given. Where a movie feeds you special effects, a book tells you about people. A good book makes those people precious. A good author writes so that the reader is IN the story, where a movie can only SHOW the story. I find that there is generally no comparison between a book and it's movie, and they should be enjoyed for entirely different reasons.

Kazzy1231
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 PM

Pride and Prejudice

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 05-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Harry Potter books definitely.
Especially the fourth. I hated how the director handled the movie.. I wouldn't have minded if they had just made the book into two movies rather than one that doesn't make sense if you haven't read the book. Skipping from scene to scene doesn't make a good movie and that's what they did in the fourth! It was horrible...

The fifth though looks substantially better than the fourth so I'll keep some of my hopes up.

Books are generally better than the movies, but you do have the odd ones that are worse rather than better.

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

• Eragon.

I hated the cheesy lines of the movie. It felt like it was just a knock off.
    But the book was awesome.