Rae Kitsune
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Really, any book I've read before seeing as a movie I like better. :0 I'm a book purist.

As much as I looved the Nancy Drew books when I was younger, I'm really not looking forward to the movie. :/ From what I saw in the trailers, the actress portrayed Nancy as a total Mary-Sue.

Winter Wind
SORRY GUYS. D: I'm SUPERR busy a...
Send a message via AIM to Winter Wind Send a message via MSN to Winter Wind

Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Harry Potter.

I agree.

The 3rd movie was crap.

x.x;

But I did like the 4th one.
;]

But screw them for skipping the Quidditch match.

lily_dragon

Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Ella Enchanted. I got freakishly excited when I found out they where going to turn that into a movie. I skipped joyfully into the theater to enjoy a live action portrayl of one of my favorite books. I was thouroughly crushed by it. The wonderful story I had come to love so much was hacked into a cheesy teen chick-flick.

Other than I can't think of any that really bothered me. I keep my expectations pretty low now so I'm usually ok with movies based off books.

I'll never forgive them for Ella Enchanted though. Never. :evil:

Astromantic
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Astromantic Send a message via MSN to Astromantic

Old 05-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Fight Club, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Running With Scissors.

verya
(-.-)zzZ
n/a
Send a message via AIM to verya

Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 AM

I've never read Eragon. I just haven't gotten around to it, but I did go to see the movie just out of curiosity. Even if the movie wasn't such a horrible adaption of the book, the movie would still be horrible. Bad writing, poor acting, abysmal timing and pacing, and there were several scenes in there that were remarkably similar to LotRs. I walked away wanting to watch LotRs and hating myself for paying to see Eragon.

Rachel Tamwood
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM

The Outsiders

I felt that the movie was lacking, it actually made my friends and myself very upset that it was so bad.

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM

Harry Potter books, were better than the movie, but the movie wasn't bad at all.

LOTR, yeah the books were better, but hey its a classic, and again can't really slam it

Queen of the Damned... wtf where they thinking. Honestly that was the most piss poor rendition of a book I have EVER seen.

Interview with the vampire.. the movie just didnt have a lot of the feeling that the books did

IT - the movie was just sad, it wasn't scary, it seemed just hokey, the book gave me nightmares for a week.

Flowers in the attic... great books twisted, but horrible movie

Phantoms... book again wickid scary really well written, but the movie was just stupid.

Dune .. 80's movie was right on, but missed a lot of the book, the t.v movie sucked balls, and followed the book

That's all I can really think of right now

icandiee
I am bored. D;
Send a message via AIM to icandiee

Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM

sisterhood xD cuz there's continuation for books but not movies :]

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM

I have never seen a movie that was better than the book. This are the movies that made me cry because of the change: Harry Potter, Lord of the Ring (I liked the movies but the books were better), Howl's Moving Castle (it was a good movie just so much different), Chronicles of Narnia, Series of Unfortunate Events (I love the movie but it still isn't the same), Ella Enchanted.

Of these the worst was Ella Enchanted. I had to make a list of its wrongs. The list was super long.

nottyreloaded
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 PM

Yep definetly Harry Potter, i dont care for the movies much but i still go watch them anyway. I cant wait for the next book to come out, another book is eragon, everybody said the movie was terrible so i didnt bother watching it

The Mystical Spoon
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to The Mystical Spoon Send a message via MSN to The Mystical Spoon

Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 PM

Eragon. And a series of unfortunate events. I was upset that they thought that they could condense all of the books into one film, and as I expected, the results were far from satisfactory. With Eragon, I don't feel they did any of the characters justice, not even Saphira. And just because a character is minor, doesn't mean that they aren't an intergral part to the formation of the plot.

Elizabeth
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Elizabeth Send a message via Yahoo to Elizabeth

Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM

• I'm not a big reader , I hate to read . I have onlye liked one book I have ever read , The was the Secret Garden , and It was alot better then the movie , I have read the Harry Potter books I didn't like them much , but they were still alot better than the movie it's self.

Kat
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-31-2007, 06:47 PM

I agree with you on the Harry Potter books! I think that they should not leave out such important parts! I was really angry with the 4th movie. When Harry is in the maze and he meets the Sphinx! That was my favourite part of the book! When the sphinx gives him a riddle and he needs to solve it in order to pass! I think it would have made the movie better. Also they didn't show all the little house elves. When Hermione is trying to set them free and such.

There was also the Series of Unfortunate Events!
I hated how they combined all 3 of the first books. The ending didn't make any sence whatsoever! Dx

Sylerwin TB
(-.-)zzZ
Banned

Old 05-31-2007, 08:46 PM

Harry Potter, Eragon, and Alex Rider

p i p p e r
n/a

Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 PM

I honestly like the books T-witches, but I felt Disney ruined the books with their movie. They could had done it in another way than they did. ersonally I feel they did not even catch the personalities of the cahracters right. Thought that might had been there idea int he first place. Oh well. That's my opinion at least.

EbilKitty
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-01-2007, 08:51 PM

The Da Vinci Code. I was really disappointed in the movie :( There are a lot of differences between the book and the movie, and certain parts weren't in the book at all. Luckily it had been quite a while since I read the book when I saw the movie so I didn't remember all the details, but my sister just read it a month before and she was obsessing over all the differences.

I think there's one big flaw in this movie; those who read the book will get annoyed with all the "errors", and for those who didn't read it I would imagine some parts are more or less confusing or seem pointless. But that's just my opinion ;)

Sadistix_Love
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-01-2007, 11:59 PM

I agree with Harry Potter. What else...? Narnia! Iuno, I just don't like the movie.

Bellazure
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 AM

Like you said, the Ella Enchanted book is WAY better than the movie.
After I saw the movie, I wanted to read the book just to see the difference and it turned out the movie left out so much

Tease
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Tease

Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 AM

Haha, the Harry Potter movies and books are so different. I thought they butchered the third movie to the book but it is still my favorite.

I enjoyed watching Moby Dick much more than I did reading it.

I also agree with Sadistix_Love, the Chronicles of Narnia was an awesome movie I thought it followed the book really well.

morrissey
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to morrissey Send a message via AIM to morrissey Send a message via MSN to morrissey Send a message via Yahoo to morrissey

Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Wolf
I have read the books "The Outsiders" and "Animal Farm" and my english teachers have said that the book was far better then the movie because the movie was really inacurate.

They made a movie for Animal Farm? Ouch. They probably didn't make it decent enough.

Araani~Swift
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 AM

i havent read all 5 pages of posts so forgive me if i'm repeating what someone has already said but...

i believe all books are better than movies, purely beacuse of the time involved... can you imagin how LONG a film would be if the put in every little detail covered by a book? it would be insane! *lol* they have to make harsh decisions about what gets dropped onto the cutting room floor, which is why some people always say, the book was better, it may be one of their favourite parts in a book that gets the chop.

however i do believe some films do the books justice.... having said that i'm not reading any of the Harry Potter books until i've seen all the films >.<

i guess it can also be down to personal judgement...
some people prefered the LOTR books to the films, others prefer the films to the books....

it can go either way i suppose ^.^

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 PM

I love LOTR - both movies and books - but it irked me that they changed some of it and left Tom out of the movies. also, the fact they increased Arwen's role tenfold just to have a little hollywood romance thing going on D:

I couldn't even WATCH the Moby Dick movie - nothing beats the symbolism and the words of the book - Melville does a fantastic job O.O

and trying to watch Romeo and Juliet as a movie - ugh D: Especially the new version with Leonardo Dicaprio - he didn't even know what he was saying - his acting was that bad D:

Ella Enchanted was a HORRIBLE movie

Zillar

Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 AM

Eragon.
That was the biggest letdown. Ever. The book was amazing and could have made at least an average movie(because there are no outstanding movies based on books) if it was done right. But it was so cut up, and missing so many important scenes, and characters!

I don't even want to get into all the things I hated about the movie.

Series of Unfortunate Events.
That was just not meant to be made into a movie.

Actually, despite the missing scenes, Harry Potter does quite well compared to others. I mean its not bad to watch, its better for those who have not read the books. Of course you can't transform hours worth of reading into a short couple of hours movie but they don't do a horrible job.Way better then Eragon >.>

Risky `ink
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM

Many book-to-movie titles I've heard of lately appear to have butchered their novel counterparts, such as: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Ella Enchanted, Eragon, Disney Movies, Harry Potter 1-5...

Most of those movies I've seen, some I haven't; most of the above titles I can agree though are next to nothing when you compare them to the books from which they came.

Out of that list I'd have to say I dislike the movies for the Harry Potter series most, because I've read those books over and over (and own all the movies, regardless) and find it to be one of my favourite series overall. The directors and script writers really butchered some areas that I felt were very important and added depth to the books. The most recent addition to the movie series was horribly done in my opinion, although there were a few good points, I guess. It saddens me to think that we'll be forced to have the same director for the sixth movie (if I remember correctly).

Anyways, I find that most movies that are taken from books usually don't do them much (if any) justice. There are exceptions of course, but they seem rather rare.

Nokturnne
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I almost always prefer the books over the movies based on them. The only exception so far is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like both the books and the movies.