Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 05-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Ok I LOVE these two series. My friend got me hooked on them like 5 years ago, and I still love reading them! Unfortunalty I'm a bit behind on both series due to the local book stor being closed *sobs* , but tell me! Have you read these books? Which is your favorite? Aren't the steamy parts fun?!? :twisted:

-kai-
*^_^*

Old 05-29-2007, 02:28 AM

I love the Anita Blake series and think that it is one of the best series that I have ever read. I have read every book in the series except for the most recent one. How far behind are you in the series?

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 PM

I love both of them, it does seem a little that the Merry Gentry series is a bit of a rip off of Anita Blake, but yeah both very loveable. I remember when they came out and I was 12.. my mom said I wasn't allowed to read them so of course..

I stole them and I've been reading them since. I can't wait for the next one, i'm up to date in each series, it's almost an addiction, and this far into the series, its like I know the characters ... wow I get too excited thinking about that stuff.

And yeah the explicit sex helps, but so does the amazing storyline.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kai-
I love the Anita Blake series and think that it is one of the best series that I have ever read. I have read every book in the series except for the most recent one. How far behind are you in the series?
I've read all of them but the most recent. *is waiting for it to be realeased in paperback*

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodite_remix

I love both of them, it does seem a little that the Merry Gentry series is a bit of a rip off of Anita Blake, but yeah both very loveable. I remember when they came out and I was 12.. my mom said I wasn't allowed to read them so of course..

I stole them and I've been reading them since. I can't wait for the next one, i'm up to date in each series, it's almost an addiction, and this far into the series, its like I know the characters ... wow I get too excited thinking about that stuff.

And yeah the explicit sex helps, but so does the amazing storyline.

^^ Yeah, some of the scenes are pretty steamy. My husband always knows when I get to a naughty part because I usually attack him shortly after. :twisted:

I'm so glad you guys responded though! I was getting disappionted when nobody had posted. :wink:

Mageling
Mostly void, partially stars

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling

Old 06-16-2007, 10:36 PM

i perfer the Anita Blake books, honestly. i didn't like the Meredith Gentry books that much. i got hooked on the series a while back and i have to wrestle them away from the other people i know who read them, because otherwise i wouldn't get them for months when it would take me three days to read.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:14 AM

Haha, you sound like my friend who got me hooked on them. She would spped through the book so fast I swear she never sleept. It was crazy!

Morien
*^_^*

Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 AM

Which book starts the Anita Blake series? I have been trying to figure it out, but never could discover which book was the "first" one. I really want to read them, but I'd like to try it in chronological order.

ChibiKachi

Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 PM

I love both Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry. My mom started the Meredith Gentry and that hooked me on Hamilton. I took it upon myself to find what other books she had written and discovered the Anita Blake series during high school.

I proceeded to get all my friends hooked on the books ^___^

There was a question on which book starts the Anita Blake series.
The Answer: Guilty Pleasures.

The books, in order, are:
Guilty Pleasures, The Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned, The Lunatic Cafe, Bloody Bones, The Killing Dance, Burnt Offerings, Blue Moon, Obsidian Butterfly, Narcissus in Chains, Cerculean Sins, Incubus Dreams, Micah, and Dans Macabre.

Also, an Anita Blake Short story appears in anthology she participated in called "Bite" and another in "Strange Candy".
To be released later this summer will be the next book: The Harlequin

^^ As of right now I own all the Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry books but I'm itching for the new ones... as well as finding the Anita Blake comic to take a peek and see if that will be something I want.

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm a huge Laurell K. Hamilton fan! I have all the Anita Blake series even the most recent release and the all of the Meredith series. Both are very good even if they are getting to be a bit too filled with sex and not enough story.

I miss the way the Anita Blake series started I mean there wasn't any sex until quite a ways into the series not there is in almost every chapter. Ah well I still love the characters and don't plan to stop reading n_n

Jean-Claude is of course my favorite character n_n And then Darkness from the Meredith series :D

Morien
*^_^*

Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 AM

Thanks for the information! I'll keep my eyes out, because I definitely want to read these books.

Kaderin Triste
Resident Tiger Expert

Old 06-22-2007, 05:04 PM

OMG! Love both series! Laurell K. Hamilton is totally one of my fave authors! :twisted:

Oh, and I so can't wait to get my hands on Danse Macabre!

Nariza
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Nariza

Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 PM

I prefer Merry Gentry. Both series are good though. I'm so far behind on Merry's chronicles, though. And I don't think I've read even half the Anita books... sigh.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvaya
I'm a huge Laurell K. Hamilton fan! I have all the Anita Blake series even the most recent release and the all of the Meredith series. Both are very good even if they are getting to be a bit too filled with sex and not enough story.

I miss the way the Anita Blake series started I mean there wasn't any sex until quite a ways into the series not there is in almost every chapter. Ah well I still love the characters and don't plan to stop reading n_n

Jean-Claude is of course my favorite character n_n And then Darkness from the Meredith series :D
Ooh, yeah Darkness is quite a good character. ^^ I think my favorite from the guys in that series has to be Barinthus. I guess I always did like the hard to get guys. ^^()

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderin Triste
OMG! Love both series! Laurell K. Hamilton is totally one of my fave authors! :twisted:

^^ Danse is the last one I read in the series. I'm cheap and normally wait for them to come out in paperback, but its definatly worth it! Oooh, I can't wait for Harlequinn. x3

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nariza
I prefer Merry Gentry. Both series are good though. I'm so far behind on Merry's chronicles, though. And I don't think I've read even half the Anita books... sigh.
Aww, don't worry. It seems that Hamilton takes forever to write on the Gentry series, which is so sad to me, but so long as she keeps writing in both series I will be happy.

Oops, looks like work is picking up again. Guess I better be a good employee and stop playing on the internet. ^^;;

Kaderin Triste
Resident Tiger Expert

Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfflur
Quote:

^^ Danse is the last one I read in the series. I'm cheap and normally wait for them to come out in paperback, but its definatly worth it! Oooh, I can't wait for Harlequinn. x3
Oh, I know...actually I'm so cheap that I only own 3 of the books in that series. I borrowed the rest from my best friend's sister. I still need to read Danse though. It's driving me nuts! :D

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Ooh, yeah Darkness is quite a good character. ^^ I think my favorite from the guys in that series has to be Barinthus. I guess I always did like the hard to get guys. ^^()
Yeah but Darkness is pretty hard to get to.
Getting to his heart I mean he's so reserved and wouldn't should his true feelings. I think he is her BEST match in all ways.

Nariza
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Nariza

Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Aww, don't worry. It seems that Hamilton takes forever to write on the Gentry series, which is so sad to me, but so long as she keeps writing in both series I will be happy.

Oops, looks like work is picking up again. Guess I better be a good employee and stop playing on the internet. ^^;;
Bwahahaha. All work and no play makes Shadowfflur a dull girl!

I wonder if Laurell is working on any other projects?

EbilKitty
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-04-2007, 11:37 AM

I started the first book in the Anita Blake-series, but for some reason I just couldn't finish it :( I really wanted to read the series since everyone seems to be loving it so much, but I guess it's just not for me :( Gonna give it one more shot though, if I can locate the book...

ronneh
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 AM

i used to really like the anita blake series. i really did. so don't take this comment directed offensively at you, OKAY?

i liked it for a while, just bouncing back and forth between books not necessarily reading them in order unless they required it. i think it was narcisuss in chains that just set me off on a hating streak. don't get me wrong, that book is probably my favorite if i had to pick one out of this series. [mostly because i -really- like narcisuss. :< ]

but what began to annoy the piss out of me was that -everything- seemed to happen to the main character: anita blake. and i do mean everything. she's a total of what now? please just list off everything that she is in your mind and consider the ridiculousness of it. i mean, christ, hamilton. just pick another character to focus the story on for a few fricking pages.

a friend of mine, who is a hardcore fan of the books, has listed off for me [after reading the newest book] everything she is. and more has been added to that list since i stopped reading. it just disgusted me. i asked why she read it and she said she found it amusing how everything focused around her. >/ [i honestly think she just reads them for the smut. mostly because she's as pervy as i am, if not more.]

i ALSO do not like her writing stlye or her knack of dragging things out for a whole chapter when it should be maybe a five paragraph conversation. [EXAMPLE] narcisuss in chains: while she was going to go rescue nathaniel [towards the beginning of the book] she [once getting to the club] went upstairs and preceded to have an entire chapter's worth conversation and started macking FOR NO GOOD REASON while her beloved companions were bleeding and broken in the basement. YAAAAY ANITA.

..wheh. okay. excuse my rant. i haven't really read anything else done by her, mostly because i really don't like her stlye. but if you have any suggestions or even an arguement for me to provide good reason for me not to hate this series with a passion [xD; ] please post such.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I know...actually I'm so cheap that I only own 3 of the books in that series. I borrowed the rest from my best friend's sister. I still need to read Danse though. It's driving me nuts! :D
Same here. One of my good friends started me on both series, and I've borrowed every book up until recently. Now I have to buy them because theres a few thousand miles between us now. ^^;

Ooh! But a good find if you can't wait for Harlequinn to come to paperback! I saw the hardcover in Wal-mart for $13 brand new! I'm heading back to pick it up today since I'll be on an airplane all day tomarrow. :wink:

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvaya
Quote:
Yeah but Darkness is pretty hard to get to.
Getting to his heart I mean he's so reserved and wouldn't should his true feelings. I think he is her BEST match in all ways.
Yeah, as the series progresses he definatly seems to be a better match (and hes becoming a softie!) , but I think Rhys is a pretty good match too. Galen and Frost have too many personal issues to be good Kings.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bwahahaha. All work and no play makes Shadowfflur a dull girl!

I wonder if Laurell is working on any other projects?
^^;

I'm not sure if she is or not (been out of the loop for a bit) but hopefully she is working more on the Meredith Gentry series. After all theres only 3 books so far!

Have you read Strange Candy yet? I started reading it in the book store, but I haven't bought it yet.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbilKitty
I started the first book in the Anita Blake-series, but for some reason I just couldn't finish it :( I really wanted to read the series since everyone seems to be loving it so much, but I guess it's just not for me :( Gonna give it one more shot though, if I can locate the book...
I know what you mean. When I first started reading it I was like 'what the hell did Kate give me?' (Kate is the friend who lent me the book and said I would like it) But once I got used to Hamilton's writing style and the story picked up I was swept into the series for good. It seems like the first book in a new series is always a little difficult. Theres a lot of introduction to new characters and the world they live in, and sometimes the plot seems to be stuck in slow-mo. But don't worryI guarantee the Anita Blake series does pick up.