clattering shutters
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to clattering shutters

Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM

I can't recall the saddest book I've ever read.
But Deathly Hallows made me cry the most.
Mostly because I was terribly disappointed that the series was over.

Usually when children die in books.
It disturbs me a lot.

Thunder
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM

It was a long time ago when I read this book, and I can't remember what it was called. I think it had something to do with 'Phoenix' but I'm not sure. o.o;; Anyway, if I remember correctly, a nuclear power plant went kaboom. One of the main characters, a boy, lived near that power plant and ended up getting very sick. They moved him into a house with people he'd never met so that he could recover. There's a girl there about the same age as him and they end up becoming really good friends and just when it looks like the boy is getting better and is going to live, he-Well, I'm sure you can figure it out. ;.;

I don't really read many sad books, but another one that got me was Storm Rider by David Gemmell. From halfway through the book to the end gets very sad. I cry every time I read it, even though I know exactly what happens.

Steinhoff
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm not sure of the Title in English, but in Portuguese It's Called "Através do Espelho", something like "Beyond the mirror" (Maybe this is the title, I don't know) but the author is Jostein Gaarder
Other Very Sad is from a Brazilian writer, I borrowed from a friend, Called "A Corrente da vida" (Life's chain, something like that I think)

Gradient Otter

Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Anyone read Night by Elie Wiesel? I think that's the saddest one I've read. Also, Of Mice and Men and Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes are really sad.

Come to think of it, the ending of Contact was pretty sad, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I mean, it was a pretty satisfying ending, but it made me sad at the same time.

xnarnian
Anna

Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitriarch
ah, I forgot about Where the Red Fern Grows. Someone told me that they cried at the end and I was all like... pfft I won't. And I did.

I thought The Outsiders was really sad too.
omgosh, yes, both of those books are sad! The Outsiders was one of my favorites! it's so sad about them tho!

[Amphae]
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to [Amphae] Send a message via Yahoo to [Amphae]

Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM

Death Be Not Proud. I cried so much during the end of the memoir because Johnny was absolutely brilliant and he was my age at the time of death. It just upset me that the greatest minds of our time, like Stephen Hawking, have a degenerative disease or develop cancer, when stupid-ass people who contribute no significance at all are perfectly healthy.

I agree with Night as well. But I'm really happy Elie Wiesel survived.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 PM

The saddest book I've ever read was
"Life As We Know It"
I got to the last few chapters and was sobbing so hard I couldn't see through my tears!
The book follows a girl named Miranda.
When the moon is hit with a astroid it is pushed closer and pulled into the earth. It doesn't hit the earth, it just gets closer.
It's gravitational pull causes lots of Tsunamis and earthquakes and volcanic eruptions that so many people die!
Near the end of the book Miranda is starving to death and starts to give up on life, that's when I started crying!

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 AM

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman. Definitely. I probably read tons of sad books, but I remember this one as of right now.
And reading the posts before me:

I also agreed Night was a sad book... I read it last year in class - it hits an emotional nerve with the violin boy... that really sad music, I thought I was able to hear it.

Meh. I didn't like the Outsiders. Ponyboy annoyed me. I wanted him dead instead.

Both times I almost cried when I read and watched Of Mice and Men.

Supposedly The Red Pony was supposed to be all sad and stuff but I was just angry. That kid needs lessons in life bad. *mutters* stupid kid....* That's why I don't really like any of his book, even Of Mice and Men wasn't that good.

Lejic
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 AM

Books are basically the easiest way to get me to cry. In real life, even really big issues don't make me cry easily, but give me a sad book and oh my, tears start rolling...

I can't recall the saddest book I've read, but Time To Say Goodbye was sad. A woman finds out she has cancer and has a few months to live and she tries to find her husband a new partner to be with after she's gone.

Another really sad book was The Mists of Avalon - you might think at first, like me, that it's just a fun myth to read but... you would be wrong, just like I was. The plot is way too long to explain here, but let's just say that every character in the book deserves a good slap across the face and a big hug.

One last mention would go to The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Nighttime is just... it didn't have me bawling, but it was so sad in such a pure and heart-wrenching way.
It's the story of a boy with Asperger's Syndrome - but the book is not about his Syndrome. It is written from his point of view though, so you see things through his eyes, which is the hurtful part. The things he doesn't understand, the faces he explains but cannot comprehend the meaning of... It is a sad book indeed!

nayru_moon
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-30-2007, 10:05 PM

I think WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS was sort of sad... but the book called A CHILD CALLED IT was so sad to me... i mean was the child evr called my his real name i cant really recall. but, can u believe in the book what that poor child was but through... i dont want to even think about it... :( :( :( i only remembered the book becaude inside my classroom my teacher had her other students write a bookreport and i was loking at them and i saw that one had the words the child called it written on it so asked my teacher and she said it was sad.. ( im not taking her opinion ive actually have read both of the books i have mentioned do far) How would u peoples out there can u imagine being tortured like this little boy has been tortured..... :cry: so those r the saddest books ive read so far.... *************************** ok then c ya peoples!!!!

pillow_maiden
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to pillow_maiden

Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 PM

the sadest book i'v ever read was gingerbread, and the second sadest was new moon, just how bella suffered through her loss and how there was noone there to comfort her (except when jake showed up)

bearysplash
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to bearysplash

Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 AM

the saddest book i've read is A ring of Endless Light.
only because when the little boy dies. i cried becuase the girl tried to save him but he just couldn'b be saved.

Wynna
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM

The short story Bang Crunch by Neil Smith, it is so absurd at times but the ending is so sad, I felt so much for the little girl. It was so well written.

Kirsch
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 PM

The saddest book I've ever read was "Takkeo" it has a subtitle: "The Law of the Strongest" (I had to translate that from my native langueage, I don't know if it is realy called this in England or America)
It's about a boy whose an outsider. And about his class which is mean to him. It takes place in Japan.
The saddest thing is the end. It realy made me cry. People can be so mean...

Jennifer Bean
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melangell
The saddest book I can remember reading at the moment would be Were the Red Fen Grows...I sobbed thru the last couple of chapters when I read it a couple years ago.
Holy crap, I was going to say Where the Red Fern Grows!
It's pretty much the saddest book I've ever read, and I've read a lot of depressing books. There's just something about dogs committing suicide pushes some button inside me.

InYourMind
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 AM

The saddest book I have ever read has got to be 'A Child Called it. Its a true story based on the author's life when he was a child. He was abused, physically emotionally, and metally by his own mother. I think the part that impacted me most was when his mother turned on the stove and told him to lay down on it. When he refused she took his arm and burned it. Just goes to show...their are crazy people in the world.

unloved_prinzes
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to unloved_prinzes

Old 11-03-2007, 04:06 AM

The saddest book I've read is "A Walk to Remember". It's about a guy who tells his past experience with a girl at the age of 50 something. The girl was a leukemia victim and the guy fell in love with her. He didn't really know it at first but then when he knew, he never left the girl. He did everything to make the girl happy because the doctor said she will not last long. But then, a time came when the girl had to go. The guy knew that her girlfriend's wish was to marry before she died. The guy married her despite the fact that the girl was dying. Isn't it just one of the most romantic stories you've ever heard?

Fred Weasley
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 PM

This post will contain spoilers for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows xD Because THAT is the saddest book I have ever read. By far.

I was crying so much when I read it... It sounds so stupid, but I was very very upset when I read about Fred's death. That one scene ruined the whole book for me.
Well done, J.K...

inseCuREly
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM

Hmm... this is a difficult question for me to answer. I read so many books, that I can't pick just one that was really sad. Then again... I cry more easily while reading than I do while watching movies. xD

Though, I suppose The Scarab by Catherine Fisher (third book in The Oracle Prophecies trilogy) was pretty sad - to me, at least. Mostly because the sad part involved my favourite character. A certain part in that book makes me cry every time I read it. I'm not even kidding. xD EVERY SINGLE TIME, and I've probably read that part about ten times (most of which were done in an experiment to see if I really would cry again; it astounded even me).

Oh, and! The Sight by David Clement-Davies made me cry a few times too. Heart-wrenching, a few parts were. >:

Buy Only
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Buy Only

Old 12-25-2007, 09:53 AM

The saddest book that I've read, so far, is Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks. It's the first book with a sad ending that I've ever read. I didn't expect for a sad ending because I've always been reading happy-ending ones. I was also saddened when I finished Rage of Angels by Sidney Sheldon because I thought that what happened to the main character was so unfair!! A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (again) is sad but I didn't cry because I already knew the plot of the story long before I started reading it. Remembrance, by Jude Deveraux is a happy-ending story but there are some sad parts which made me cry.

sidums
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-25-2007, 02:49 PM

The saddest book I've ever read would A Child Called It. It's about this boy that is brutally abused by his mother. When he gets taken away and put in foster care, his life doesn't get much better. Every time he thinks he's finally found something he can a "family" they get taken away. It's really sad but also very inspiring. I highly recommend reading it!!

ewic santiago
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to ewic santiago

Old 12-25-2007, 03:13 PM

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung
it's about a little girl and what she went through in Cambodia during the 80's. All of it is fact, it's the saddest thing I've ever read. : (

girl_4327
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 AM

I find Nicholas Sparks' novels really sad and quite tragic.. Sad.. yes, sad..
I really cry a lot while reading his books..
But they're all really nice.. and sad..

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

I also find Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows REALLY sad!!!
The two saddest part where my eyes swelled because of too much crying was when Dobby died.. So sad!!!
and the Prince's Tale Chapter ( the best chapter ever!! ) wherein so many things about Snape were told and proved that he's not a bad guy.. I cried so much.. He loved Lily Evans! I didn't see that one coming..
Oh, that was just so sad.. I find those kinds of things sad.. Wherein a guy is desperately in love with a girl he can't have.. I cried a lot..
I also cried at the epilogue.. When I read about the name of Harry and Ginny's second son, Albus Severus.. And Harry said: " ...You were named after two great headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was from Slytherin and he's probably the bravest man I've ever known...". Awww.. I cried at that part..

ForkoFried
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM

well i've read alot of sad books, but they never seem sad to me and kindof funny instead when they try to be sad... xD

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 AM

Anne M. Martin's series California Diaries has three books about Sunny. Her mother has cancer and those are the first books I remember crying over when I was a kid.

The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan made me cry. It ends nicely but I just cried because it was finally happy. I loved the characters they were so tortured throughout the book and deserved happiness. I was really sad to see it end.

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks I imagine would be really sad. I've seen the movie tons of times and it still makes me bawl like a baby. I haven't read the book...I'm scared I'll read the first sentence and start crying...hahah.