Rock Fan Chick
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 AM

I ususally find the cover interesting first, then read the back, if I like it then I usually buy/borrow it. Also if it's by an author I already like I'm likely to inquire about it or seek it.

Screams-Of-Death
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM

A lot of the times I read a book to distract myself from my problems and learn something interesting. I also read to learn more about the affects of my problems (sometimes). At times I read just because it's my homework. If you read the descriptions of the books on the list you may figure out about a book you find interesting. Having a certain list of books you can read, and only being able to read those books must suck, if you're not able to read a book that's not on the list without your teacher figuring out about it.

AgnesGloom
*^_^*

Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Sometimes it's the title or artwork that catches my interest. Sometimes I'll search around Amazon for books that were reccommened for readers of a book that I read and really liked.
A lot of times I just search around the shelves in the book store, reading the summaries on the back until I find something.

toxicsugar
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-12-2010, 03:38 AM

I think the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" should be tweaked to "don't judge a book by it's cover unless you've read the summary on the back first."

To be honest, most people will pick up a book because it has an interesting cover. It's a great marketing strategy. If a cover has obviously been dolled up and it catches your eye, the intitial thought is "wow, that's really cool" when what your subconscious is saying is "wow, they've spent some time on this." A book with a good cover signifies that a lot of thought went into the marketing of the book in hopes that it would get popular. Often times, we associate the appearance of the book with the content we expect to find within it. If it's nice on the outside, we instantly expect something that's enjoyable to read.

Now a flashy cover doesn't always equal a good story and often times covers are (sometimes purposely) misleading. However, point being, books are marketed so that people DO judge them by the cover. I would say that reading the summary on the back helps (and sometimes it does), but even then, a lot of time goes into what will be placed on a book jacket--- on both front and back. Summaries are often embellished to make a book seem more interesting than it is.

So... what's the point of my rant?
1. People subconsciously are drawn to books by what is on the cover and it can't really be helped
2. Reading the summary before considering a book

AND 3. Sadly, you can never really be too sure what to expect until you actually start reading the thing. (if you've seriously read all this--- you get an imaginary cupcake with magic sprinkles! ^_^)

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 PM

I agree with toxicsugar. I definitely judge a book by its cover! :lol: The cover usually hints at the genre and style. For example, if I see a book with a cover like this

It's very obvious to me that it's not something I'd be interested in. Why waste my time looking further?There are a lot of cover cliches for other genres too, especially young adult books.
I'll also admit that I picked up Water For Elephants solely based on its cover which I thought looked very cool. And it turned out to be a fantastic book. :)
So, yeah, I judge books by covers. :lol: Titles, too. It's a good hint as to what style the writer has.

Midnight_dragon

Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 AM

I normally go by what the cover looks like and the description of the story. The genre of the book is also a key factor. Sometimes the cover art is horrible but the story amazing and vise versa. Basically it all boils down to the description or preview of the book. If it doesn't catch my attention I won't read it. And I only buy books when I know I'll reread them. I have a very small library.

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 AM

Ever since I was a small girl my mom would read to me each night. before bed time once I started school I could not wait go in to the Library. even for school book fairs I loved them to death yet I have love of reading thanks to my mom and grandmother.

FadedSky
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-14-2010, 03:48 AM

If I buy books, I probably would go for books I've read once before and would like to own for the sake of it. However, I really am not that big on buying books because I only read a book once in most cases. Also, even though it is bad to "judge a book by its cover" I do that anyway. I love books with simple but attracting covers.

Sandymai
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 AM

If the book looks interesting I give the book a try but reading a little of it xD IF the book catches my eye as well

Weregirl89

Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Energy View Post
My parents have a huge library at home they both read and when i was little I used to read a lot, now I am trying to do the same and I am also required to do that at school, teachers have a list and you can choose one or read another thing as long as it is not for children and not something with adult content and you do your hw and summaried etc...
Now I was wondering what to read cause I read the titles and found nothing interesting...
My mom always says the typical phrase "dont judge a book by looking at the cover" i know she is right but...none seems to catch my attention ...idk why...
so what makes you want to read a book?
is it the cover? or the back ?
the fact that someone famous wrote it?
fact that they made or are making the movie?
do you buy books?
do you read books from your family library? Have ever done that?
ok so Im here to chat = )
I'm a really big reader I read anything from the nutrition facts on cereal boxes to the Dictionary since I can't look up one word without stopping along the way to read others. >//< I don't have a family library but I borrow and also have a pretty large collection of books that my friends borrow from. I usually just walk in a public library or my school library and something will catch my eye about the book; an interesting title, color, near my usual authors or a suggestion by others (usually suggestions have a repulsing affect on me) and once I read the dust jacket then I'll decide whether or not to read it. ^_^

RavynMK
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 AM

I read books mostly by looking for an interesting title.... or just read the backs of most... the closest i have to a family library is my bookcase... my sister and i are the only avid readers in the house... I also pick books because they are by an author i've read before or an author i favor regaurds them in some high esteem. I'm a fantasy/romance type of person but i'll read just about anything if it's a good book.. i'll read anything that is recomended to me even if i don't like it.. i like having conversations with people who have read it and so i don't look like an idiot while doing it... i believe there has only ever beeen one book i couldn't read... it was Animal Farm.. i couldn't make it throught the preface.... it gave me a major headache half a paragrgaph in ... sadly it was required reading...

xhappy kitty
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM

If I had a good family library as in newer books I'd read them, but no, unless they're rated good don't bother.

Parasitic Panda
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 PM

I have friends who are always recommending me books, and so far they have not steered me wrong. Otherwise if its an author I know and enjoy, then chances are I'm going to read the book. I have a hard time randomly selecting books.

FeehilyForever
Westlife 4Life

Old 02-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Whenever I go to libraries or bookstores I always take about 5 minutes scanning a book.
I always check the title if it's catchy. And the text at the back, if I kinda dig what the book is about, I'd kinda go for it. If the jacket art (yeah i like hardbound books, i use it as my main weapon at school :boogie:) makes me wanna say 'cool' or 'awesome' I'd go for it as well. Then I'd flip over a few chapters and read a bit of it, I read mostly fictional books so if it kinda activates my imagination, I'd read it.
I'm not the type of person that reads a book just because someone said it was awesome or if it's popular, 'coz what's more important is the nub and gist of the book! :boogie:

XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX
Black Alice
Send a message via MSN to XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX

Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 AM

Normally the first things that grab my eye is the cover, and the title of the book. Next it would be the plot if I'm not interested in the storyline, chances are I wont read it. I try to buy books most of the time, when I have money to spare seeing how as I like to own the books rather than just borrow them.

Beliar
*^_^*

Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 AM

A book's cover grabs my attention and I won't deny that but just because a book's cover is nice doesn't mean I'll read it. It grabs my eye but it is the summary that keeps me there (that and reading a random paragraph in the book to see if I like the writing style).
I also go for an Author whom I've read from before and liked. If I liked their one series I'm bound to enjoy whatever else it is that they have written.
One of the best books I've ever read I grabbed because of its size and started reading out of boredom. Thats hit and miss though.

xoarchangel
The Last Of Her Kind
Send a message via MSN to xoarchangel

Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 AM

Well, first off. The cover of the book would attract me to it. If it has bright colours and illustrations I'll be interested right away and would want to pick it up. Second, the title and the short summery at the back of the book (or in the inside on the left if a hard cover.) If it's crazy fantasy I'm in. And if the story sounds like it's going to keep me interested then I'll think about buying it. And then Thridly the price has a bit to do with ir. I think spending 30.00 on a book is a little ridiculous. And well finally, I read the first few sentences or even the first page and see if I like it. I didn't do that for the book 'Eternal' and I hated it!

PocketNerd
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to PocketNerd Send a message via Yahoo to PocketNerd

Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 AM

I tend to pick a book by what feels really good. When I pick up a book it has to feel warm in my hands. If it does not feel good then I will not read it. I like the way certain books feel. If it feels ok I read the back and if I like what the back says I read it.

fallenvega

Old 03-06-2010, 03:23 PM

sometimes the cover attracts me.. but a good story makes me read a book.. :)

uoıʇdnɹɹoɔ

Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM

The title and the cover attract me. Then I read the inside flap or the back to see if it has an interesting plot.
I also tend to pick books at random. Well, sort of random anyways. I go to a certain genre section and just choose a book. Hah. My methods have yet to fail me. ;D

SugarRos
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to SugarRos

Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM

I have such a horrible habit of buying books based on the cover. I've literally had to force myself to stop and read the back cover AND the first chapter (or at least first few pages) before I buy. It's a rule for me now. I have WAY too many books that I can't stomach my way through and just sit there looking pretty.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 PM

While a book's front cover certainly has a way of drawing me in, i'll read either the back cover or the inside flap before decided to buy a book. If the story summary peaks my interest, i'll buy it. I only usually buy used books though. New ones can be expensive. :P

ButterflyDemise
Cupcake Zombie

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 PM

Usually I hear about a certain author and check them out on Amazon to see if their books got good reviews. I then begin keeping an eye out for their books at Half-Priced Books ^^ That's how it usually goes at least. Other times I see a pretty or cool cover/title and just have to pick it up and see if it sounds interesting. If so, I buy it or at least write it down to look up later.

yuki_cross_kuran

Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 AM

it depends on :

the cover , if it looks like for silly ppl no
the theme of the story or novel
no matters if its from a non popular author if its good welcome ;)