LilyoftheNile

Old 09-19-2016, 03:24 PM

Just some dabbling. It was a reply to a role play I was doing with someone. I rather enjoyed it so I kept it. I hope you can enjoy it too.

“I'm sorry for your loss.” Empty words, that's all they were. Stupid, meaningless, empty words. How could I'm sorry fix the gaping hole in her heart? A heart that had always belonged to him. Since they were children. Kaitlin felt hollow, scooped out. Was there any room left in the emptiness for tears? She belonged in there with him, it was a sick twist of fate that she stood here. The casket was closed. The accident had destroyed what once was a beautiful face.
An arm slipped around her shoulder guiding her away, leading her outside. Gray clouds overcast the sun, the world itself mourned for him. Lifting her face she basked in the droplets of rain that coursed down her pale cheeks. It cried for her. That insistent arm led her on, guiding her after the line of people heading downhill towards the graveyard. She followed numbly, stumbling over exposed roots that had grown over their path.
They were the last to arrive, the crowd part respectfully to allow her to pass. Pushing her on that arm lowered her into the seat. Or made sure she didn't fall off as her knees gave way. The Priest's words were a lie. He had never known him in life. Hadn't known the strength and passion he carried with him every day. He had no idea how that man had colored her life, lighting up a black world. He had been her other half, a soul mate, and true love in every sense of the word. Few were ever blessed as she had been to love him for the time she was given. It was never enough time. There was never enough time. Now he was gone and her heart with him. He had taken everything.
The creak of the coffin as it was lowered into the grave tore at her. The sadness, the devastation she had bottled just to make it through the last few days cracked. What was left of a torn heart twisted painfully, claws crushing it.
“Don't leave me!” Tripping forward she fell on her knees beside the black wood coffin her voice broken, heedless of the roots tearing at her bare knees.
“You promised we would always be together!” Like a dam had burst tears cascaded down her cheeks, scalding hot.
“Don't go... please don't go..” there was no answer to her pleas, he was gone. Well and truly gone.
“Come back to me.. please come back..” Kaitlin's body shook with her sobs, the rain fell harder now and no one had the heart to pull her away.

She was still there when the rain stopped, mud stained her black dress; her hands where she had torn at the grass, her cheeks where she had ineffectually wiped away tears. The grave was filled in now and she lay curled up on the freshly churned Earth. Wishing she could sink in and join him. Praying she would.
An older lady watched the young woman from her spot beneath a tree. She had close cropped deep blue hair, a tanned lined face with laugh lines around her eyes though her face was somber now, her brown eyes held a deep sadness as she approached her niece.
After all this younger woman had been through, all she had done to keep her family together. To have it all ripped away like this. Was heartbreaking.
“Honey..” her voice cracked from no use emerged rusty and hoarse. She had caught the first flight the moment she had heard what happened.
“How can he be gone?” Kaitlin's dirt smeared face lifted, it was pale and drawn with grief. The young woman looked half the skeleton she wished to be.
“There's never a reason sweetie..” She reached for the young woman but Kaitlin pulled away.
“Never a reason... never enough time. There's never enough of anything. One lifetime with him isn't enough. How could it be?” Pushing her petite body up she faced the tombstone. Loving father and husband. Music is life, written below the dates of birth and death.
“We are soul mates. He's my true love.” Words that may normally have sounded cheesy rang of sincerity and truth.
“We could live a thousand thousand lifetimes and we would always find each other. Always love each other. And even that wouldn't be long enough.” The deep heartfelt emotion behind those words resounded with the older woman.
“You wish to spend a thousand lifetimes with him?” She asked her voice soft. There was a deeper question under those words.
Kaitlin pressed her palm against the rough stone of the grave marker.
“I wish to be with him for always. I wish to spend a thousand thousand lifetimes loving him.” Her heart twisted and the tears started again.
“Always, I want to spend always with him. There is no one else for me.” The torture on her nieces face hurt to see.
“Then be with him.” She whispered, stooping she kissed the grief worn face and passed her a bundle wrapped object.
“For always”