Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Hey, fellow writers! C: Thought it might be nice for us to convene during the event and talk about our trade/hobby/whatever it is to you.

What sort of writing do you do? Anything in particular you're working on right now?

(remember to quote if you're answering these questions directly)

For me, I've written all kinds of things... poetry, stories, songs. Right now, I'm trying to work on the third chapter for my fanfic The Art of Perseverance, which is based on the anime Princess Tutu.

I actually haven't written anything in a while... and man, is it hard! o_O I wrote 20 minutes in my journal today, which was easy, since I was just blurting whatever onto the page. But when I went to start chapter three, I was fighting my inner editor every step of the way! I only wrote for ten minutes and it felt like an uphill battle. O_o

I'm rewarding myself for journaling AND getting through those ten minutes of chapter three by playing some guitar, which I really enjoy. But dude, I didn't think writing without doing even minor edits would be so trying. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm stubborn, so I'll try this again later.

Last edited by Goblin Maiden; 09-26-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM

Random/Just-because Prizes

These will be random amounts of gold. Don't expect to hit the jackpot, since it's all from my pocket. XD

Reasons for giving gold will be:
1. Page milestones (5, 10, etc).
2. Made me laugh.
3. Extremely interesting.
4. Anything else I think of either now or later.

Basically this is just to have fun! :) Please no ninja'ing in and out just for the chance for gold, though.

Last edited by Goblin Maiden; 09-26-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Hi! What kind of songs do you write? I'm trying to learn to write songs but I'm better with stories.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Hi, Superstition! Glad you dropped by. I write... I dunno what kinds of songs, I haven't written any in a while. o_O I wrote a lot of sappy love songs a while back though. XD Not to mention all the songs I've written based on the movie Labyrinth. XD

It does take some practice to write songs... I remember I used to have so much trouble with them, haha. :P Stories are still my forte.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Trelweny Send a message via Yahoo to Trelweny

Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM

Goblin Maiden!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Maiden View Post
What sort of writing do you do? Anything in particular you're working on right now?
writing... ah writing. What do I do?
Mostly fiction, 'cause what my mom deems "reality" sucks so why would I want to write there?
Right now I'm trying to catch up on my crossover fanfiction "Healing Soul" which is Inuyasha and YuYu Hakusho and happens to be a Kagome/Kurama pairing. I lost the flashdrive where I'd stored it not long after my laptop stopped working so I've not been able to work on it all summer until my laptop was fixed.

I've written a handful for Labyrith as well, and a couple each Sesshomaru/Kagome and Rydia/Edge (Final Fantasy 4).

There's a bunch of others in varying degrees of completion, not to mention tons of original stories in the works -many of which I just found from where they were packed. About half of those had to be converted from floppydiscs. O_o

I used to do songs and poetry too... but not lately. Too personal.

Last edited by Trelweny; 09-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: forgot to quote (overlooked)

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Oh, I forgot to answer the questions!!

I mostly write stories, most of them fanfiction but I'm trying to create my own universe for my characters. Like I said, I'm trying to write songs, but since I'm horrible at rhyming, it hasn't gone very well... I like to roleplay as well, but I must admit I enjoy writing on my own a little better because I'm in control. I mostly RP for socialization, inspiration, and to learn to go with the flow. My organization tends to get in the way of my creativity.

Like I said, I'm working on creating my own universe. I have a fanfiction with Static Shock/Batman/Justice League crossover with a totally different character I created. But I'm wanting to not rely on that universe so I'm trying to get out of it. Besides, if I ever want to publish, I don't want to plagiarize!

I'm also starting to work on a Star Wars fanfiction but so far that's only in my head, as are most of my stories :P

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM

hiya, Goblin!

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM

....oh! I totally didn't think to include roleplaying!
of course I've not been doing as much of that as I used to... certainly not writing online as I once was.
Does writing up character backgrounds for tabletop games count?

That is the problem with fanfiction: never getting to publish. Although there are some 'authentic' sequels out there that are pretty much fanfiction. Susan Kay's "Phantom" and "Scarlet" the sequel to "Gone With the Wind" jump to mind. So you can publish fanfiction... through the right channels. At least sometimes. Why there's whole series for Star Wars!

hihi hummy!

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Hi hummy!!

Yeah, the right channels are the creators. I might be able to get away with it and I may still try but for now, I'm just working on the story itself. I'm kinda new to character development (all my characters are girls and have almost the same personality :P) so I'm working on developing that.

Oh, and I'm also working on a fanfic of The Tourist. Still in the process of writing the screenplay out for it though before I begin the actual writing.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 PM

More like "whoever holds the rights" but whatever, right?

Now screenplays are one thing I've never tried. Sounds interesting.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Hiiiii hummy!

I never considered roleplays as writing, either... o__o But that makes sense now that you mention it.

I want to try a screenplay, too... just gotta figure out HOW, haha. :P Like, what makes a screenplay a screenplay anyway?

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM

I'm not entirely sure...... From what I understand, there is little emotion and no inner thoughts. The only emotion is what can be seen on a face or heard in a voice. I'm only watching the movie and writing down the script and scenes. I'm writing my story from one of the character's POV so I need the exact script.

I'm actually thinking of doing screenplays of my story ideas and then make them into a story, but I haven't gotten that far yet :P

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Hmm... I guess I will have to look into that more, Superstition. But yeah, that's sort of my understanding too, from what I know about it at least. :P

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM

My parents bought me a book of 101 tips from famous screenwriters last Christmas and I loved it! But it said that if you are very protective of your work, don't become a screenwriter. Once you've sold it to a studio, they have a tendicy to butcher your story....

I'm actually very interested in film (thought about being a film director) so that's why I'm interested in screenplays. Wonder if one could do a screenplay with others like a RP....

---------- Post added 09-27-2012 at 02:57 PM ----------

Thank you for making this thread by the way! I was hoping a writer one would pop up for the event :)

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Oh, you're welcome! :D I'm just glad to connect with other writers. C:

I'm so excited, I'm going to a writer's group tonight! I just haven't written anything in a while... It's a critique night so I have to come up with 1,000 words or less of writing. XD Three hours until I've gotta be there. LET'S DO THIS. XD

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM

If your muse is with you, you should be able to do 1,000 in no time! That's cool! I wish I had a writer's group here :(

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Okay, I wrote a piece! Yaaaay! It's more like 450 words, but they said "1,000 words or less," so I should be good. This is my first time going to a writing group, so I'm really excited!

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 PM

Awesome!! Let us know how it goes!

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 AM

The way most movies change from the books they're based on the notion frightens me. Really.

Is it still roleplay if you have a script? Wouldn't that make it independent play/film?

ooo! Have fun, Goblin Maiden! I've never done a writing group. Outside of class anyway.

Goblin Maiden

Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 AM

It was super-fun guys! They were all really nice and good-humored. C: I had a great time.

Might go to bed soon, I dunno. :P How are you all?

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 AM

Glad to hear that! ^_^

I'm okies... been decently productive today. Good amount of writing down for a few stories and pics uploading for another project. Now if I could only get my son not to fight me on just about everything I might border on "good"...

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-28-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelweny View Post
The way most movies change from the books they're based on the notion frightens me. Really.

Is it still roleplay if you have a script? Wouldn't that make it independent play/film?

ooo! Have fun, Goblin Maiden! I've never done a writing group. Outside of class anyway.
Hm, maybe..... The script would be made up as we go along, just like in a normal rp. It'd probably not be very exciting and way to much work :P

I haven't been very productive, I've been sitting in front of the computer playing games on facebook and talking a little on here lol. I think I may write a little tonight before I go to bed (which is hopefully soon )

---------- Post added 09-27-2012 at 10:31 PM ----------

I really want to get in the habit of writing every day, to keep the creative juices flowing (and so that way I don't hole up on the weekend with a notebook or computer writing furiously because I didn't all week :P)

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-28-2012, 03:57 AM

I write a little (and some days I really mean a little) every day, whether typed or hand-written. I recently hooked my phone up to my dropbox through an app and I am loving having the ability to tweak or add things where ever, when ever, I want. That and not having the fear of lost materials has been simply fantastic.

Have you ever read the DragonLance Chronicles? Those originally were a D&D game (to test having more dragons in the old game set) that was eventually written out by two of the players. That always tickled me about those books.

I'm kinda glad I cold turkeyed my fb games. I miss my favorites... but the lot of them on a whole were dragging me down. I've been much more productive since.

Superstition
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 AM

No, I've never heard of that series. I shall add it to my reading list!

I have a friend who recently blocked all of the fb game apps except one that she wanted to play. I'm considering it but right now, they're keeping me sane lol. Maybe after I have a job, I will get rid of them.

---------- Post added 09-27-2012 at 11:09 PM ----------

I am always writing memo on my phone and I used to keep a small spiral notebook in my purse so I could write down thoughts as I had them. Loved that! I felt free with that little thing!

Well, I must be off to bed. See you both tomorrow hopefully! :)

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Just note that the original DragonLance books might read a little ... easy? :ponders: I'm not sure how to explain it but I guess that while the story is fun and they're well enough written it's not like reading Tolkien or anything; they're not literary marvels by any means. Just fun. Of course the writing quality, as most authors' works tend to do, increase in time.

I'm really temped to block my fb games. Right now I'm still pretty much just avoiding fb in general.

I have a book in my purse in which I write or otherwise jot down notes, but it's nice not having to rewrite because I'm putting it straight into the appropriate file.

...and I have to go get the lil'man from school. Not cool. So very not cool. Likely won't be back until late today.

:hugs: