Phidefya
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 AM

I LOVE his movies.. to bits.
I would kill someone if I could have them all :x

Anyhow, which ones your favorite?

Personally, I love Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

Teh Toaster Basher
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-04-2011, 12:31 AM

Oh gosh, I agree with you. I love them as well. Studio Ghibli makes such wonderful movies. I loved Totoro, Nausicaa, and Spirited Away, but in the end, I really don't have a top three or five or whatever. I love all of his movies pretty much equally.

xXastraXx
If you come here... You'll find ...

Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 AM

I love every movie that was made by Miyuzaki.... I think my favorite two would be Spirited Away and princess Mononoke.... I loved Howl's Moving Castle, but I found that the movie left out much that was in the book, and there weren't exactly movies on the sequels either, so it feels like that movie is incomplete in a way...

I also love Nausicaa and Totoro too, along with Tales of Earthsea..... But the only movies I personally own are Sprited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service (another one I love), and Howl's Moving Castle.... My goal is to get them all though! <3

Obsidian Raven's Song
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 AM

I love Studio Ghibli films. The first one I saw was Kiki's Delivery Service. I think my favourites are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, though I really did like Nausicaa and Mononoke. Actually, it's pointless to list them. I haven't watched one that I haven't liked XD

I want to watch Tales of Earthsea but every time I go to the store to rent it, they're all out. Sadly, I've heard that it isn't as good as some of their other movies. I am, however, reserving personal judgment until I see it myself.

A friend of mine has the complete works of Studio Ghibli collectors edition imported from Japan. I don't think it has the newest couple films (Ponyo and Earthsea) but it's a beautiful collection none the less. Sadly, she won't sell it to me....

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM

I read that after the disaster in Japan, Studio Ghibli decided to show their movies for free for the kids of the newly homeless. That just makes me them even more.

I heard there was a new movie, something like The Borowers? something like that.

xXastraXx
If you come here... You'll find ...

Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Oooh! The borrowers was a book series that I loved when I was little!

It's about little people who live in the walls, and 'borrow' stuff to get by. So whenever you put something down and it's just not there when you look again, it was the borrowers who probably borrowed it.... They've never been discovered by humans, until one day a child finds them...

If the movie is based off the book I'm sure it'll be great! <3 excited now!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 AM

I love these movies. Question: is Earthsea based off the books by Ursula Le Guin?

Obsidian Raven's Song
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 PM

@Carzeebear - Apparently it's (very) loosely based on the plots and characters of the first four books. The main plot of the movie is a major departure from the books though. Ursula Le Guin even said that they weren't her books, but his movies.

And actually, Tales From Earthsea was directed by Goro Miyazaki, Hayao Miyazaki's son. This movie came out in 2006 in Japan and at the time Hayao Miyazaki was buy working on Howl's Moving Castle, which is kinda sad since he apparently had been wanting to animate the cycle since before Nausicaa. Also, a lot of people weren't too impressed with how Goro handled the films. As I said though, I reserve personal judgment until I watch it for myself.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 AM

I'm still pretty keen to watch them. They were good books.

CuteKitten1211
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-29-2011, 03:22 AM

Studio Ghibli~ <3

I love them all to bits and pieces! Spirited Away has been my favorite so far. Nothing has come even close to that movie for me.

Though I didn't know a lot of their films were based off movies. That's news to me. I absolutely love reading, so I guess I'll be looking for those!

CherryBunnies

Old 05-29-2011, 03:45 AM

Spirited Away has always been my favorite movie of his. It was also the first of his movies I saw. I also love Kiki's Delivery Service a lot as well. Sometimes it's hard to decide which of those are my favorite, but I think Spirited Away is definintely my favorite.

Miss Eevee
♡sweet lolita ~

Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 AM

i own all of his films (in fact, i nearly own everything produced by Studio Ghibli). love love love his style.
love him so much that the only two tattoos i have are of his characters. (:

my absolute favourites are Tonari No Totoro, Kaze No Tani No Nausicaa & Howl's Moving Castle.
Howl's is a special favourite of mine as it's a book i loved in my childhood (RIP Dianna Wynne Jones). i was thrilled when i heard he was coming out of retirement to make it! ♡

Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 AM

Oh, I adore his work. I like to think that anyone who hasn't seen one of them has truly missed out on something great.

My favorite's tied between Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Oooh! I just watched Tales from Earthsea. I loved it! Perhaps more than Howl's Moving Castle. (I know, shock horror scandal!) Whoever told Obsidian Raven's Song: that it wasn't as good was sorely mistaken. Maybe it's not brilliantly adapted from the books, but from what I remember from reading them, it seems like a sequel? I dunno, it's been a couple of years. I really enjoyed it anyway. The beginning was a bit confusing, but it all makes sense in the end!

SuicidexBaka

Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 AM

I'm jumping into the same boat, I love his movies with one exception Ponyo just didn't do it for me. I love Naussica, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosco and a bunch of others that I can't recall the name of right now but Ponyo didn't get me. It got dull in the middle. Most of the movies I saw when Turner Classic Movies aired a marathon of just his movies, first in japanese then in english. I still remember how much I hated the fact that there were no commercials and only a five minute delay between movies so if someone was in the restroom at the time I was stuck holding it for two plus hours. It was well worth it

Edouin

Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE!! <3

voenne
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-02-2011, 09:09 PM

All his films are beautiful and amazing... But I think I'd say that Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite. :)

WherededIGo
(・・^...

Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM

i havent watched much i very much like howls movie castle, but he missed out some funny parts from the book, he also changed the storyline a bit wich was interesting, the most randomnest thing i have seen though would have to be ponyo, i laughed so many times, and my friend wouldnt stop talking about, but i think howls moving castle is my fav <3

ShyNata

Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Howls moving castle is awesomly epic and epicly awesome. calcifer is my fav....

"Here's a curse for you, may all your bacon burn"
Calcifer

lolz, love that line!!!

WherededIGo
(・・^...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Who doesn't? It s the best line of the movie :). The best line of the book though would have to be...

"I assure you, that I am perfectly cone, sold, stober" - Howl

>_<

Aerinn
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 AM

MIYAZAKIIIII~ ♥

My first Miyazaki film was Spirited Away, like many people. I watched it three times when I was younger (once in English and twice in Japanese), and I cried every time.

But to expand my Miyazaki knowledge, I went on a Miyazaki film marathon over the past winter break. I love Howl's Moving Castle (the ending made me cry ;w; ) and although I didn't really care for the plot, I love TOTORO! :D
I also watched Castle in the Sky and Naussica and the Valley of the Wind, which were nice movies where Miyazaki's views as a pacifist and an environmentalist really shine through.
Ponyo was cute too. ♥

luira

Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Miyazaki is amazing and so is Hisaishi. I like WORSHIP them. Goodness, I don't have enough words and intelligence to even begin to describe these legends.
Oh and btw, they have a new movie called 'From Kokuriko Hill': YouTube - &#x202a;Kokuriko-Zaka Kara Trailer (2011)

Aerinn
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luira View Post

Oh and btw, they have a new movie called 'From Kokuriko Hill': YouTube - &#x202a;Kokuriko-Zaka Kara Trailer (2011)

*gasp* I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT!! >u<
It's great to see Miyazaki work with his son, since I heard that they didn't get along before.

Agent HEY-LEE
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 PM

I've only watched six of the movies so far, but my current favorite is without a doubt Howl's Moving Castle. <33
But that was also the only movie I watched at night and I tend to get a little... goofy the later it gets. XD;

Aerinn
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-30-2011, 01:19 AM

Howl's Moving Castle was such a nice one... :cry: