Celeris
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-12-2007, 04:33 AM

You write so beautifully. To write even half as well as you do would be awesome. Emotionally charged scenes are really hard for me and I usually fall flat, but your writing seems to thrive in scenes in which my writing withers. *shakes fist futilely* I'd suggest titles but I'm bad at that too. :D

Question, do you know sign language? I'm currently in American Sign Language 2 so it's always nice to find more people who know it.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 05-26-2007, 09:53 PM

thank you SO much Celeris =) you are so kind and no I dont know it I have tried to learn it a couple of times so I learnt a few signs but never had the time, Im happy you are with them =) <333
I will post more soon It is hard to type them cause these are old one I have written in paper and sometimes in spanish so it takes a lot I will start writing in English but it is not the same since I speak spanish and I need help from friends to revise my work and adapt it to English, thanks for the kind words.
Trin <3

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 09:56 PM

Ellena Ashley

The Dragon Rock

This story begins with Once Upon A Time, because the best stories do, of course.

So, Once Upon A Time, and imagine if you can, a steep sided valley cluttered with giant, spiky green pine trees and thick, green grass that reaches to the top of your socks so that when you run, you have to bring your knees up high, like running through water. Wildflowers spread their sweet heady perfume along the gentle breezes and bees hum musically to themselves as they cheerily collect flower pollen.

People are very happy here and they work hard, keeping their houses spick and span and their children's faces clean.

This particular summer had been very hot and dry, making the lean farm dogs sleepy and still. Farmers whistled lazily to themselves and would stand and stare into the distance, trying to remember what it was that they were supposed to be doing. By two o'clock in the afternoon, the town would be in a haze of slumber, with grandmas nodding off over their knitting and farmers snoozing in the haystacks. It was very, very hot.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM

No matter how hot the day, however, the children would always play in the gentle, rolling meadows. With wide brimmed hats and skin slippery with sun block, they chittered and chattered like sparrows, as they frolicked in their favourite spot.

Now, their favourite spot is very important to this story because in this particular spot is a large, long, scaly rock that looks amazingly similar to a sleeping dragon.
The children knew it was a dragon.
The grown ups knew it was a dragon.
The dogs and cats and birds knew it was a dragon.
But nobody was scared because it never, ever moved.

The boys and girls would clamber all over it, poking sticks at it and hanging wet gumboots on its ears but it didn't mind in the least. The men folk would sometimes chop firewood on its zigzagged tail because it was just the right height and the Ladies Weaving Group often spun sheep fleece on its spikes.

Often on a cool night, when the stars were twinkling brightly in a velvet sky and the children peacefully asleep, the grown ups would settle for the evening with a mug of steaming cocoa in a soft cushioned armchair. Then the stories about How The Dragon Got There began. Nobody knew for sure, there were many different versions depending on which family told the tale, but one thing that everybody agreed on, was this:

< 2 >
In Times of Trouble
The Dragon will Wake
And Free the Village
By making a Lake

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 09:58 PM

This little poem was etched into everybody's minds and sometimes appeared on tea towels and grandma's embroidery.

The days went by slowly, quietly and most importantly, without any rain. There had been no rain in the valley for as long as the children could remember. The wells were starting to bring up muddy brown water and clothes had to be washed in yesterday's dishwater. The lawns had faded to a crisp biscuit colour and the flowers drooped their beautiful heads. Even the trees seemed to hang their branches like weary arms. The valley turned browner and drier and thirstier, every hot, baking day.

The townsfolk grew worried and would murmur to each other when passing with much shaking of heads and tut tuts. They would look upwards searching for rain clouds in the blue, clear sky, but none ever came.

"The tale of the Dragon cannot be true," said old Mrs Greywhistle, the shopkeeper.
"It hasn't moved an inch, I swear," replied her customer, tapping an angry foot.

It was now too hot for the children to play out in the direct sun and they would gather under the shade of the trees, digging holes in the dust and snapping brittle twigs.
"The Dragon will help us soon," said one child.
"He must do Something," agreed another.
"I'm sure he will."
They all nodded in agreement.

A week went by with no change, the people struggling along as best they could. Some were getting cross at the Dragon and would cast angry, sideways looks at it when passing. The villagers were becoming skinny eyed and sullen.

Meanwhile, the children had a plan.
Quickly and quietly, they moved invisibly around town, picking and plucking at the fading flowers. With outstretched arms and bouquets up to their chins, they rustled over to where the giant rock lay, as still as ever.

The boys and girls placed bunches of flowers around the Dragon in a big circle. They scattered petals around its head and over its nose, then danced around and around it, skipping and chanting the rhyme that they all knew so well.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 09:59 PM

In Times of Trouble
The Dragon Will Wake
And Save the Village
By making a Lake.

The searing heat made them dizzy and fuzzy and finally they all fell in a sprawling heap at the bottom of the mound. They looked up at the rock.

< 3 >
Nothing happened.

A dry wind lazily picked up some flower heads and swirled them around. The air was thick with pollen and perfume. A stony grey nostril twitched.
"I saw something," cried the youngest boy.
They stared intently.
An ear swiveled like a periscope.
The ground began to rumble.
"Look out! Run!Run!"

The children scampered in all directions, shrieking and squealing, arms pumping with excitement.
The rumbling grew and grew.
The Dragon raised its sleepy head. It got onto its front feet and sat like a dog. It stood up and stretched, arching its long scaly back like a sleek tabby cat. It blinked and looked around with big kind, long lashed eyes.
And then its nostrils twitched and quivered again.
The older folk were alerted by the screams and shrieks. The ladies held up their long skirts to run and the men rolled their sleeves up and soon the whole town stood together in a tight huddle at the foot of the hill, staring up at the large beast with mouths held open.
"AHHHHH AAHHHHHHHHH!!"
The noise erupted from the Dragon.
"AHHHHH AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"
The families gripped each other tighter and shut their eyes.
"AHHHHH CHOOOOOOOOO!!"
The sneeze blasted from the Dragon like a rocket, throwing it back fifty paces, causing a whirlwind of dust and dirt.
"AHHHHH CHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

The second blast split open the dry earth, sending explosions of soil and tree roots high into the sky like missiles, and something else too ...

The people heard the sound but couldn't recognize it at first for it had been such a long time since their ears had heard such tinkling melody. As their eyes widened in wonder, their smiles turned into grins and then yahoos and hoorahs.

Water, cold, clear spring water, oozed, then trickled, then roared out of the hole, down the hillside and along the valley floor.

The torrent knocked over a farmer's haystack, but he didn't care.
The river carried away the schoolteacher's bike shed but she cared not a jot. It even demolished the Ladies Bowling Club changing rooms but they howled with laughter and slapped their thighs. When the flood sent pools of water out towards the golf course, filling up sixteen of the nineteen holes, the men just hooted and whistled and threw their caps up in the air.

< 4 >

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 PM

< 4 >
What used to be a dirty, brown dust bowl, now gleamed and glistened in the sunlight, sending playful waves and ripples across the lake and inviting all to share.

"HMMMMM," sighed the Dragon sleepily, and showing his perfect movie star teeth. "Seeing as I'm awake ..."
And he lumbered forward with surprising grace and style and disappeared into the cool dark water with a small wave of a claw and flick of his tail.

They never saw him again.

After the families had restored and rebuilt the village, and set up sailing clubs for the children, and scuba diving for the grandparents, they erected a bandstand and monument in the spot where the Dragon used to lay. Every year to mark the occasion, they would bring garlands of flowers and herbs and arrange them in a big circle. The children would have the day off school, for it was known as 'Water Dragon Day' and wearing the dragon masks that they had been working on all week, would skip and clap and sing.

The Dragon helped Us
As We said He would Do
Hooray for The Dragon
Achoo, Achoo, ACHOOOO!

And that is the end of the story.

I know this one is not what you were expecting heheh but I love writing for kids too I am planing on writing a children's book one day

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Deep Blue Sea

I Could Ride all Day in My Cool Blue Train

I live in a town full of rain, a liquid city. We’ve got water up to our gills and I’m having trouble breathing. The bilge-pumps are struggling and the overflows are overflowing -- hell, even the air is wet. Before today it rained for thirty-three consecutive days and the water level went up eight inches. The Stilt was cramped enough already, and now the water’s pushing up and we’re pushing out. The Fixers are getting ready to build another level and move us all upstairs again.
All this water, and we can’t drink any of it. We’re down to two cups of clean a day. It’s probably a good thing. Sal joked the other day that one misplaced piss and we might all be swimming. The clean pipe which runs from the purifiers up to the kitchen is beginning to taste no different to the rest of it. The water in the showers is thick and coloured and you feel cleaner without it. After the rain, everything stinks. The purifiers can only do so much. The food situation though is just about stable. There are seaweed crops. Some days we eat fish and some days we eat fish substitute.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:52 PM

As of last week, downstairs became submarine. It’s like someone drowned my youth, because we were brought up down there. That was back when there were still children allowed on the Stilt, before all of that was taken over to the Dries. I was eleven then. A big transport arrived and mothers and children made a mass exodus. Except for me, because my mother was dead and I was sick and didn’t qualify. They left me to see if I’d make it. I tell myself that maybe now that I have, someone will come back. They never do, though. Soon after that the travel permits came in, and no one goes now who isn’t taken. People arrive, and are put to work. But they never leave, no one gets permits now.

Once when the water was lower, before the Overboards were even built, I sat on a step and watched the last swan anyone here ever saw, floating in the water like a long-necked lily, an opening fist of a flower. Then the thunderous snap of its wings in take-off. The immense clean span of its flight. Maybe it’s gotten bigger as I remember it, but it was huge. Even then it looked like a creature from myth. No one dared kill it, not for food.
But now the Overboards are built, everyone else I knew then is gone, no one’s seen any kind of a bird except seagulls for years, and even they’ve finally learnt to stay away from the rigged netting we set. From time to time a helicopter flies over, going this way or that. Out to the west the line that looks like the horizon is actually the start of the Dries -- a great levee keeping the water at bay. Though with the weather lately, I don’t want to think about the kind of trouble they’re having over there.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:53 PM

There is Upstream and Downstream. The main currents run right past town, and lately there’s something dark in the Wide Channel, like a slip of oil spooned into the river and threading along it. They’ve cut off the inflow for a couple days while someone works out who’s dumping what, but in the meantime everything is progressively stagnating, and after all the rain there are traces of black even in the water downstairs. There are rumours it’s infiltrated the seaweed crop, though I haven’t been to see. Can’t stand the smell there, is the thing. And no one knows what the dark stuff is. A couple of people have grown sick.
But I’ve been sick a long time, since the beginning. Since I remember, which is always. I get chills which come and go and I natter my teeth with nausea for a day. All I can do is give the doctor a call, then curl up and wait for someone to bring pills. They bring pills.
Those days I stay in my bunk. We’re berthed in a raised railway carriage, the insides torn out and the bunks built in, just the blue of the upholstery remaining. Most days I’m the only person in. Everyone else works. It sways on stilts in the wind. And with the noise of the bilge-pumps churning away on the lower decks below you might just think you’re moving, if you take your pills and close your eyes.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:54 PM

I could ride all day in my cool blue train
If my cool blue train would just stay in lane

I’ve been writing lately but it hasn’t been going well. No one likes the stories I’ve finished, and I can’t seem to get them out. For a few days now I’ve been trying to write a story I’ve called ‘Trash’. It’s about a world ruined by a Major Climate Event so that everyone who can has left the world. The firefighters and geriatrics have gone off to live on the sun. Anyone who can afford it has relocated to cooler planets out in the solar system. There’s just an underclass left on the world living in these tiny cells which are part of one great machine, which gives energy and cools the temperature to bearable by recycling waste. Air and water are strictly rationed. Nothing is thrown away. There’s terrible overcrowding, but strict individual segregation has been established by some unknown controlling body, to quell trouble and prevent breeding. So there are these tiny cells full of the inhabitants’ own waste and rubbish, and in one of these cells there’s a desperate man who feels he does not belong there, who is forming a plan to get up out of the cells, and thinks that he could survive it all if only this one girl were there with him. If you were with me, he thinks, I could survive it all. But she’s not, and I can’t work out how to end it. I’m really not good at science-fiction. Still, I think it’s a pretty funny story, considering. One they’ll appreciate.
But even with the pills I can’t get it done. I just curl up and get as warm as I can, and still I keep shaking. Then before everyone else gets back, I fall asleep, riding all night in my cool blue train. You can get travel sick staying in the bunks too long.

One Day I Grow a Horse’s Head

Today I take my pills and grow a horse’s head. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do for a long while. When everyone else is out of the bunks I take my pills and my forehead splits and lengthens. I look for a reflection in the murky glass window, and I’m a horse, I’m a horse. I stay that way all day and by the evening I’ve got a big old headache in my big old head. Still, the thing about horses is that they’re honest above all, and some days you need to be that way.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:55 PM

I get dressed and go deck to deck until I reach the bar. The rain’s holding off and it’s a dry walk over. Heavy tarpaulins hang over the bar entrance and you have to slide in through them. The air inside is close and thick. Everyone’s there, everyone who can be. They can’t drink water so they come to drink the whisky.
By the entrance on the inside there’s the Idol. The Idol’s made from an old diving suit stuffed with plastic straw, the suit itself too ripped and the rubber too spoiled to be any use. The head is a round mask with black stone eyes, like an insect’s, and has two old flippers for oversized ears. The Idol blesses the bar, and if you baptize it with whisky it’ll bless you too. But there’s always the weighing up to do -- precious whisky or unlikely luck? I always choose the whisky. After all, how lucky can anyone get?
Sal’s waiting behind the bar, a worn look on his worn old face. He’s standing beneath a fading drawing of an alligator someone did once, charcoaling it onto the wood wall at the front. The alligator grins, and I grin back.
‘Whisky, Sal?’ I say.
‘You’re late,’ he says. ‘Maybe when you’re done. If you’re good.’
He bangs the bar and things quiet down, a little. Sometimes they want to listen and sometimes they don’t. Tonight they don’t seem too sure either way.

I stand up on the bar and read out a story. It’s an old one but they haven’t heard it, and I couldn’t write anything new. It’s about a boy and a girl who meet and fall in love and generally cause each other completely inexplicable amounts of happiness. They get engaged and exchange vows of undying love one perfect day. They live Happily Ever After, until one day when she tells him she’s leaving him. She takes her bags and starts to walk out on him and he can’t believe it, he’s in tears, I mean he’s being completely torn apart here because very real pieces of him are going out the door with her and the horrible bitterness on his tongue is a foretaste of his own death, but he gets himself together enough to say, but you said you’d love me forever. And this at least causes her to pause at the door, and she turns round, and he’s waiting for her to Come Back In and Realize She Made A Mistake, and to Make It All Alright Again. Or at least explain. But in fact all that happens is that she slips a puzzled look on her face and she says, well gee, honey, it sure felt like forever. And off she goes.
They don’t like this one at all. Some of the Fishers and Fooders who have been struggling all day to gauge and gain resources don’t want to hear this kind of thing. They do not like it one bit, and for a minute I’m in danger of being lynched by a couple of the larger thugs. There is a distribution of discontent, which can always get nasty. Then one of the Lazy Sunbathers stands up from where he’s been sitting, holding up his bag of stones, and things calm down. Grateful, I’m merely kicked out of the bar, forbidden to read stories for a week, and told in whispered threats that whatever it is, it had better be better next time, or I’ll be looking for a new career.
As I’m being dragged out the crowd disperses, dousing the Idol with whisky on its way out to purify the place after my disturbing of the peace. Bad stories will do that. I go back to skulk in the bunks for a while. Then the chills come over me and I get a heat beating at the thin skull around my temples and my teeth begin to natter.

I could sleep all night in my cool blue train
If my cool blue train would just kill the pain

Getting Back Together Was One Long Negotiation

At the end of the week a helicopter appears and hovers overhead. I was with the chills up in the bunks and didn’t see it, but Sal did, and he comes by to tell me about the hovering. He says he saw ropes flung from the inside of the helicopter, and four men in black leap out and slide down, landing on the decks where the canoes are usually moored. Not that we have any canoes anymore. He laughs and tells me that one of the men took one step and fell straight in, before the others dragged him out. They waved to the helicopter, which flew off. With a lot of slipping they got off the decks onto the ladders and clambered like lizards up to the Overboards, heading, for sure, for powwow with the Lazy Sunbathers. They’ll be out in their deckchairs wrapped in thick towels against the cold.
I feel a lot better after he tells me that. Men don’t come from helicopters just to stay. They come with reasons. Something important. Contact with the others is always good for the Stilt. You can go for months otherwise and think that you’re all there is in the world. And then they might just have come for you. You never know. I think to go over to the main deck to see what’s going on, but I know I’ll never get close.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:56 PM

By then my ban from the bar is over so I spend the rest of the day writing a story which I read out that night. The bar is full, as it’s always full. Everyone’s in. There’s something strange about the atmosphere that I can’t quite place. They’re waiting for news from the Lazy Sunbathers, apart from everything else. We like to be kept informed. But the Lazy Sunbathers aren’t here, which means they’re still in counsel. All the same I sense there’s something I’m missing.
‘They’re expecting better,’ warns Sal when he sees me. ‘Don’t disappoint, will ya?’
He gives me some whisky and I take a bitter sip to loosen my lips. Then I climb on the bar and begin to tell them a story. It’s a story set over in the Dries. It’s about a terrible earthquake which consumes a city, and how all these wonderful buildings with people in them turn into mass graves of rubble. I know they’ll listen. They like to imagine the Dries, or have it imagined for them. They like to hear words like concrete and skyscraper.
It’s about how after the tremors died down and nearly everyone’s dead and buried, the rescuers are making a futile and endless effort to search for survivors. And how constantly hanging around them is this one little girl who’s just in floods of tears because she’s lost her mummy, and she’s lost her dog as well, and no one has any time to pick her up and comfort her.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:57 PM

It’s an affecting story, seriously.
So this girl is wandering around crying and eventually one of the rescuers, an exhausted fireman, stops from lifting rubble and bends down to face her, and in his weary way is about to tell her that everyone’s dead but that they will keep looking for her mummy, even though he knows in his heart that her mummy is certainly and painlessly pancake-flat, but meanwhile she should follow the other people back to the assembly point where she can get some food, because isn’t she really hungry? He’s just gathering these words together when there’s a bark, and he’s back and focused in an instant because he thinks it’s one of the rescue dogs that’s found someone -- probably a piece of someone rather than the whole of someone -- but then he realizes that the bark was muted and suppressed like it came from beneath the rubble, from where nothing’s been heard for many an hour. A dozen rescuers triangulate on the spot and start shifting wreckage, just to get to this possibly trapped animal, because frankly any sign of life is going to feel like redemption on a day like that. Behind the fireman, though he can’t see, the little girl’s face has just lifted because she knows she just heard her dog bark, no way in heaven she’d fail to recognize it. And she quietens down and sits, waiting for the rescuers to fetch her dog.
Then there are no more barks and I play with my audience a little. You know -- maybe they’ve dug in the wrong place, maybe the dog’s going to be dead by the time they get there, maybe it’s not really the girl’s dog after all, that kind of thing. Keep them rapt. Then there’s a huge block lifted and in an impossible crawl-space beneath it is the little girl’s beautiful dog, looking up anxiously at the sudden light and all the people. And the rescuers are completely stopped in their tracks, because what is more, the dog is being held in a woman’s arms, and the woman, though covered in dust and suffering some obvious distress and a trapped foot, is not only alive but conscious, and when they pull her out the little girl stands up and in the happiest tired voice you can imagine, says: Mummy. And her mummy reaches out a hand for the little girl and when their hands meet she says, oh sweetheart, it’s all right sweetheart, I’ve got you.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:58 PM

I hear Sal sob just behind me. The regulars are in tears. I swear there’s rainfall from eye level down. Like I’ve precipitated a microclimate localized in the bar. With absolutely no exceptions, except for these four guys dressed in black who I only just notice at the table at the back, just round the curve of the wall. Who have apparently finished consultation with the Lazy Sunbathers and have come to sample from our whisky still. And who are not crying. Though they appear to be listening.
These, though, are distractions I can’t deal with now. I haven’t finished my story, even though they think I have. I regain their attention. I speak with scorn. I go on to say that, because they’re crying, they haven’t understood a word of what I’ve been saying, that they don’t seem to realize that it was a terrible story, that thousands of people died, that the ending was not a happy ending but a false one, a jarring one, an ironic one. That their reaction is sentimental and naive and disappointing, that despite everything here they’re still pumped full of illusions, that they still have illusions practically flowing out of them.
That what they think I meant to say was: there’s so much crap in the world, and then all of a sudden there’s honesty and humanity and hope.
Whereas what I actually meant to say was: it’s all just crap.
The silence continues just a bit longer, while they weigh this up. Then there is uproar. You little fucking shit. You little fucking cunt. This time there are none of the Lazy Sunbathers here to calm it down. Something glass is thrown hard at me, a whisky glass heavy in the air as it whisks past my ear and shatters against the alligator drawing. They do not like being mocked. They do not like being made to feel stupid. I jump down quick behind the bar, but Sal steps away from me. I had him, too. One of the big Fooders from the kitchen leans over the bar and makes a grab for me. He has tears still smudged in the dirt of his cheeks, but he’s looking ugly, murderous. He’s balled his fist. It goes back to his shoulder and I curl up down on the floor waiting for the pummelling. One blow hits my back but it’s soft, he’s in an awkward position leaning over and I sense him readjusting for better purchase. But nothing comes except air, and the noise is no longer all around, but becoming isolated. Everyone was shouting and now there’s just one person shouting. I get up to see who it is.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 PM

It is one of the men in black. A ripple of silence emanates from him, goes along with his voice. He shouts and they quieten. I can see it crossing the room, and it looks like fear to me. They are afraid of this man. Who does not even bother to reveal his gun. Everyone already knows he has it. Even if no one knows who or what he is. No one has ever explained. Some things we just accept.
‘Quiet,’ he says finally, when he no longer needs to shout, and the whole bar is already quieter than it’s ever been before. He looks round to catch the eyes of the room, and none of them seem inclined to meet him. Then he looks at me, and I look at him and I can’t look away. He’s younger than I thought. Just about my own age. Then he smiles, so quick it makes me doubt I saw it.
‘Just pipe down, alright?’ he says as he looks at me.
Then he sits down with the others and they resume their drinking, all in silence. And so does everyone else, but only in fear, not because they want to. They don’t dare look at the men in black, but they look at me, and they haven’t forgiven.
I want to go over to the table where the men in black have settled back down. They are not looking at me. I want to see if I recognize the others, if one of the men is perhaps a woman. If they have new friends now. Not that it matters. But Sal has grabbed my arm and pulled me back behind the bar.
‘You’d better go,’ he says. ‘You might not be reading any more, but you’ll live, if you’re lucky. There’s always a job in the kitchens, right?’
He pushes me into the back room, the one with the still. A yellow liquid bleeds through thin tubes where Sal turns water into whisky. I think to go back into the bar but then Sal would probably kill me himself, so I lift the trapdoor and go down the ladder into the dank lower decks, the rank smell of salt and rotting seaweed, the fetid warmth

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 PM

Deep Blue Sea

It’s all very well feeling safe where there are protective men with guns around, but outside the bar there’s no certainty that a Fisher or a Fooder won’t be hanging around, waiting for me with a meat hook. And seeing as dumping bodies is an A-list crime at the moment (it pollutes the water Downstream, causing diplomatic issues), there would only really be the kitchen to drag me to, and fish substitute.
So I hang out for a while, not below decks where it’s dark and shadows and I can’t see anyone coming, but up on a small disused fishing deck far from the bar, near the carriage. It’s cold, but I can live with that. There’s a moon, off-round, but big and white and silvering the water so I can almost see the black in it. The clouds are thin grey ghosts speeding by on the ethers. I sit and shiver, and it’s not the chills for once, just the cold. No one comes.
I get to thinking I might have been a bit hard on them with the story. After all, everyone here lost their mother once. Maybe I was wrong to mock their illusions. I get quite miserable, thinking about it. It makes me think I should write another story for them, to make up for it. But they’ll never let me read again now. Which gets me further down. So I try and work out whether I’m going to be able to get out or not. I give the men in black time to leave the bar. I stay crouched on my deck and then when I think it’s safe I just shin straight up a stilt and over to the carriage.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Back to my bunk room, but there’s no sign of anyone, which I’d half been hoping. Maybe they haven’t come after all. Maybe I misunderstood. But then I see my bunk. There, wrapped with an outrageously inappropriate blue ribbon and topped with an enormous matching stick-on bow, is an aqualung. It’s a little battered, with a dent in the tank, but there is a gauge and a tap and a mouthpiece and I know it will work.
Beside the aqualung is a lattice of dry sticks tied together with twine. It looks like a cat’s cradle of string, except there’s a nagging familiarity to the design of it. A larger stick down the centre with a tiny white shell glued beside it, another shell at the edge of the criss-cross structure. I turn it both ways, circle it round, and looking down on it eventually work it out. It’s a map of currents. The large stick is the Wide Channel. The shell beside it is a big arrow saying You Are Here. The other shell represents Something Else. And for a while I’d thought all the clues were going to be in code, and I’d be always wondering if they were even there.
I take the last silver strip of pills from my stuff, and make to pop a couple through. So I can do it. But then I stop. Perhaps the pills are a bad idea, the last thing I need. It’s not the time to be confused. No pills today, then. My cool blue train will have to stay away. I’ll be going under my own steam.
I sort my stuff and listen for sounds. About the time I feel the bunks will start filling up I gather my stuff together then leave by the Overboards. No one takes the Overboards at night because they’re not that safe. Even if I hit the water when I fall, I can’t swim. The water’s not clean, so who learns to swim? If you fall in and don’t get pulled out, you drown, the way my mother did. If you fall in and get pulled out, the way I did, you get sick.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:01 PM

This time, though, I don’t fall. I thought I’d have trouble hauling the aqualung but its weight balances me. I take the high boards all the way until I’m above the bar, and then I wait up there till it empties and I see Sal come out. And then I wait some more. The misshapen moon circles round for a better look and the wispy ghosts go by.
I slide down a stilt and push through the tarpaulins. Inside it’s pitch but I find the bar with outstretched arms and make my way round it. I reach up to the shelf with my hands, careful not to knock anything glass. I take the waterproof torch from the tin over the bar and switch it on, so I can operate quicker. I put the tin back. I dismantle, as quietly as I can, the Idol by the door, ripping its flipper-ears off and pulling free too some strands of plastic straw I can use, to tie them to my feet. I tear patches off the rubber suit for warmth.
And then I drag everything back up the stilts, tie the flippers to my feet and the rubber patches round my arms and legs. I belt up the aqualung and suck hard on the mouthpiece. The needle on the dial flickers, but doesn’t drop down from the FULL indicator. I pick up the torch and the stick map. Then I lean backwards, knowing I should probably have tried to get down the ladders so I was closer to the water when I fell, but knowing too that the only way of persuading myself to get into the water at all was to take myself by surprise, a pre-emptive strike. With the heavy lung on my back I rocket downwards, overhead and headfirst, and penetrate the water. There’s an immense splash that consumes me before I leave it behind. I’m so shocked I forget to go to the surface, then as I start to sink I begin to panic, until I realize I can breathe just fine. I appear to be all there. All here. Just the map disintegrated in my hand -- I think I crushed it myself in the fall, or perhaps it wasn’t meant to be used underwater. But I don’t need it. I am by the little shell. I am heading for the other shell. I give my flippers a kick and I’m propelled pretty effectively through the murky water. Somehow through all of that I managed to keep hold of the torch in my other hand, and even luckier, the torch works.
I never thought I’d be submarine again, not after the first time. There are two things about the underwater that overwhelm me, only one of which I was expecting and that’s the cold. It’s not like air cold. Wrapping up doesn’t help. The rubber doesn’t help. There are cold currents and warmer currents, but basically it’s cold like death. It presses in. My eyes are wide with it. All I can do is keep moving.
The other thing is the possibilities. A world in three dimensions of a scope bigger than I imagined. Directly beneath the boards it’s not so deep -- I can see the muddy bottom where most of the stilts are buried, and where the bar’s anchor is half buried. The torch can sort of pick them out. But where the Wide Channel is, the water floor just drops sharp away into a trench and it opens out all oceanic and limitless, the water cleaner and the visibility too improved. Then you feel like you’re floating above a great space, rather than thinking about how deep beneath the surface you are.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:02 PM

I know I have to cut first across the Wide Channel. I can see the stain of black running thicker than ever above me but I glide right beneath it through clearer waters. Just little kicks of my legs, flicking the flippers, and I move right along. I’ve never felt so free. I go kick kick kick slide.

I could ride all day in my cool blue train
In my cool blue train I’ll shelter from the rain

I’ve a head-full of shells and shelters. I get out far beyond the Wide Channel. It’s difficult now to keep my bearings, to be sure I’m still going away from the Stilt. Sometimes I have to stop kicking, to see if I’m being moved by a current, to see if it’s taking me left or right or forward or back. I check my air and it’s still in the upper half. I slip into one of the current streams and slide along with it. I start to keep an eye out for the pipe, if it’s there, if I don’t miss it. If I go too far, how do I get back?
Keep quiet there. Pipe down. There is a pipe, and I will follow it down. Those were the directions. It’s good for once to have instructions. After you decide to follow them everything is easy, you don’t need to make anything up.
The dial is registering almost empty, less than a quarter left, when I find the pipe. It is large and iron and runs along the sea bed, then turns a corner and plunges over a cliff, going straight down to where the moonlight doesn’t reach. I shoot down along it, kicking all the way. I keep my torch on the iron side of the pipe and soon that’s all I can see. The pressure hugs me, squeezes me till I start to feel dizzy. I can see cold and black and just a tiny patch of light and this pipe still going down. I could surface, but I’d never get back so deep again. And there’s nothing up above me anyway. The surface seems a lonely place to be.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:03 PM

Just before the pipe runs straight into the mud floor there’s an oval opening. My torch shines into it, but it’s just the inside of a pipe. A small compartment. I swim in. With one hand and the torch looking I feel round the edge of the opening and find a door. Some kind of airlock. A door on the outside and somewhere then a door on the inside too. The first door shuts infinitely slowly. The dial on my air reads empty. I pull a breath and it still comes out so I hold it for as long as I can. I look for the switch or the sign or the way out. The second door. I scan the insides of the pipe section, trying to orient which way is up, which way is out.
Then the torch goes out.
Then I take a breath that cuts out half way through.
The tank is empty. My arms and legs spasm in a panic which takes hold of me, I’m squirming and kicking out, thrashing and trapped, until I bash my arm and feel the pain from it, a numbness heavier than the one already overtaking me.
There is something on the wall. Some kind of a handle on the wall. A circular handle on a shaft. I grasp it in my left hand and pull myself to it, holding what’s left of my breath. Too late now to surface. Too late for most everything. Not too late to decide which way the handle turns, if it even turns. Clockwise. I turn but can’t move it. Too late to try the other way? Or should I just keep forcing it? It might not have been moved for generations. Too late for any of this?
I bring my legs up past me and plant my feet on the wall. I grip tighter, apply torque. The last of the breath bubbles out of me with the effort. I suck but nothing else comes and my chest leaps like a mad heartbeat.
And then there is a give, a definite slight give. And then a further turn. But there is no air, and my arms and head are rebelling, threatening to convulse.
Everything is already black, but the black is coming further inside now, into my blind eyes and my empty lungs. I force the handle one last time and there is a silent roaring which takes everything away in a long dark falling, save the blackness.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 PM

It’s the shivering that wakes me. My body shaking like a Fooder has gotten hold and is rattling me like a bag of stones. But my lungs are going, clattering in and out. The air is awful, and I make to reject every breath, but I stutter and cough and carry on. I pull off the heavy aqualung, which was lying awkward beneath me, keeping my face out of the water I’m in. I stand up and choke, and kick something with my foot, which turns out to be the torch. I can hardly get my hand to close on it, it seems to take minutes to get my grip. Irritatingly enough, the torch seems to be working again.
I look around. I’m in a pipe, but not the one I was just in, because this one seems to go horizontally. My hands can’t untie the flippers and in the end I just rip them off. Some of the twine digs in my foot and cuts through the skin. My feet are too cold to feel it. The skin is blue and no blood runs. I choose a direction and start to slosh along through the water.
The pipe tilts upwards, fractionally. The water is definitely getting shallower. The inside of the pipe is thick with slime. It is dark and cold and heavy and where I am I don’t know. I walk for ages, until the torch dims and the water’s down to my ankles.
There is another door blocking my way but it has a handle which twists it open to a shrieking of rust and metal. The tunnel beyond it is cleaner. Less muck, less slime, hardly any water on the floor. And then I realize I don’t need the torch any more. It was dark and then it isn’t. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel, a faint light, but it reflects off the wet of the pipe and I can see where I’m going. I turn the torch off to save the batteries, and stumble on.
At the end of the tunnel there’s a sealed door with a thick window in it. And through the window I can see someone standing there with his back to the door, apparently guarding it. He’s dressed in black like his own shadow and is carrying a large gun. Beyond him I can’t quite make things out. Things seem to be green. Things seem to open out a bit.
I bang on the glass with the butt of my torch and the guard physically leaps about a foot in the air. He pulls his face up to the window and peers through, blind in the darkness. His face looks weird pressed up to the glass, I can see every flattened pore, and the panic in his eyes. Then a shift of the light or his eye and I know he can see me. We stare at each other a moment, and I watch his mouth drop open in slow motion. Then he is gone. The seal cracks, the hatch opens inwards and I tumble in, and for a second time black falls all over me, but this time I’m grateful for the body heat.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 11:06 PM

There is shouting in a language I don’t understand. Pinned on the soft floor I can smell something. Not just the shock of outside air after the aqualung’s rarefied mix and the stagnant air of the pipe, not just that. Something else. Something too beautiful for words, something that needed to be shared. Something you’d smell that would remind you of your youth, maybe even something that would cause you to go back. I’m too crushed to start laughing, but the shivering starts, and makes me feel warm.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 AM

Feel like learning some spanish? I can teach you!

Silencio Amor

Donde está la fresca brisa
que tu aliento me entregaba,
donde está el fuego intenso
que de tu cuerpo brotaba.

A quien le haz entregado
lo que por amor me pertenecía
a quien le haz entregado
la única verdad de mi vida.

Las noches frías se tornan
los días mustios están
quiero romper los muros
de esta triste soledad.

Decirte adiós ya no puedo
me he aferrado tanto a ti
que si no vivo a tu lado
mi mundo llegó a su fin.

:: Learn Spanish Language

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 AM

Now some translations from a work we did at church for the youngsters ^^

think about it :

We Should Be Thankful...

Because we do not have universal joints at our elbows. How would mother lift the skillet from the stove if the elbow joint did not have "stopper" on the back side to keep the arm from going all the way back? Have you been thankful that your knee is not a universal joint? How would you ever stand upright or walk if there was not a "stopper" to keep the knee from bending all the way?

How thankful we should be because our teeth are made to match. You had nothing to do with it -- neither did your good mother. The President never planned it in any of his progressive programs. It just happened that way because a loving, personal God, a thinking God, a God who knew how, has ordained that people should be born that way. The teeth are arranged in exactly the right way. You could hardly chew corn from a cob with molar teeth. You certainly could not bite through some of the steaks being offered us today with wisdom teeth. Wisdom would tell you not to try it!

Do you not think that God was very kind when He placed your nose on your face up-side down? If your nose were turned right side up, then every time it rained, you would drown, and every time you should sneeze, it would blow your hat off! God never intended the nose to be a dust-catcher, so He placed it in the right position.