Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM

There seem to be a scarce number of us out there, so I thought it might be cool to have a little hangout for those of us who embrace all music, without following genre stereotypes. :lol:

So tell me, who are some of your favorite artists, and what genres are they from?

I'm in love with the Zac Brown Band right now, especially their songs "Knee Deep" and "Colder Weather". They're sort of folksy country.

I grew up with Smashmouth, Simple Plan, and Blink-182, so my nostalgia music is definitely alternative rock. I HAVE to sing along when I hear Blink-182's "Anthem"!

I went through a screamo phase in middle school, and while I'm out of the emo scene, I still appreciate music like Senses Fail's older stuff - very dark content, but amazing beats. Who knew screams could be artistic?

I love orchestral rock, too! Within Temptation's "Angel" makes me shiver every time I hear it, and I'd love to see the Transiberian Orchestra in person. I hear they put on one amazing concert.

Swing is my ultimate lovey-dovey, feel-good music. Michael Buble, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole... their voices are so clear and silky!

Electronica can be pretty amazing, but I love the lighthearted stuff - think Owl City and Hellogoodbye.

As far as pop goes, there's a reason most of it's pop, I think, and I can appreciate a lot of it. There's some songs that I'll skip if I can, but I've found some of my favorite artists through mainstream radio - artists like Katy Perry and Colbie Caillat.

World music can be amazing - from the tango to a Celtic jig, I've yet to find a foreign genre that I don't enjoy!

Last edited by Anaxilea; 09-24-2011 at 04:32 AM..

ZoSo_Fanatic
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM

My favorite folk artists are Timber Timbre, M. Ward, Donovan, Arlo Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Brewer & Shipley, Freelance Whales, the Wailin' Jennys, and Forest City Lovers, and to an extent, Gogol Bordello (gypsy punk). I just love the sound of traditional folk songs from around the world, as well as some of the newer acoustic/electric folk and folk-rock songs. I especially love folk songs that have the sounds of nature.

My favorite blues artists are John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Son House, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Hot Tuna, B.B. King, and Albert King. I love the soul that blues brings to music. Men who actually lived hard lives, dirt poor, growing up on a plantation or in the slums of a city.

I'm a huge Zep Head. I love rock ad blues-rock bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Yardbirds, The Turtles, The Allman Brothers Band, Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, The White Stripes, Traffic, The Animals, Eric Burdon & War, Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Sebastian, Cream, Eric Clapton, and Jake Holmes. Not only are there many great original songs, but I also love when the old blues songs are taken and the power and talent of so many great artists are added to them.

I love listening to alternative artists. I love Primus and various other Les Claypool projects, That 1 Guy, Buckethead, Living Colour, She & Him, The Strokes, and Gorillaz. One thing I love about alternative music is that it is so diverse. You have people like Les Claypool playing amazing bass riffs, Buckethead knocking out so many competitors on guitar, That 1 Guy playing his own inventions and the saw, Gorillaz mixing rock and hip-hop, etc.

I love to relax to dub. I tend to listen to King Tubby, Prince Jammy, Black Uhuru, and Space Monkeyz. I love the echo added to the instruments and voices. I also love when saxophone is added into the mix.

Jazz is another great genre. I prefer many of the later artists such as Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, Harry Gibson, Les Paul, and Bea Foote. Not only are they great songs to dance to, relax to, and are just all around fun, but some of them wrote great reefer songs. :XD

As for hip-hop, I tend to only listen to Kendrick Lamar and Del. I loved Deltron 3030 and Lamar's album, Section.80, is great. I can see why people are saying he will be the future of rap/hip-hop.

As for psychedelia and psychedelic rock, I listen to King Crimson (Progressive rock, pretty psychedelic), Love, Pink Floyd, and Kaleidoscope.

Lastly, for metal, I listen to heavy metal artists, such as Ozzy (mostly with Randy Rhoads, R.I.P.), Black Sabbath, and I listen to the folk metal band Korpiklaani.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...
Send a message via AIM to Vix Viral Send a message via MSN to Vix Viral

Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 AM

*dumps a bag of musical skittles in the thread*

Ill Nino, GWAR, The Offspring, King Crimson, Mastodon, The Doors, Frank Sinatra, Van Halen, Winger, Big Time Rush, Dean Martin, Wisin y Yandel, Daddy Yankee, Ra, Snoop Dogg, Powerman 5000, Heart, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jamiroquai, Sevendust, Faith No More, Mobile Deathcamp, Iron Maiden, Hotspur, Alkaline Trio, Anarbor, Birthday Massacre, Rammstein, Danger Danger, The Cure, Duran Duran, Eye Alaska, Slow Roosevelt, Fashion Bomb, Orgy, Haji's Kitchen, Hall and Oates, Maroon 5, Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards, Mutha's Day Out, Queen, Soul Decision, Luis Fonsi, Juanes...Is that enough to give a good idea of my tastes?

~{MagikRiter}~
Je t'aime toujours.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:36 AM

I'm going to start off with The Beatles. Oldies Indie (is that what it is?)? Amazing. My most favorite song by them is "Elenor Rigby". But then I saw Across the Universe and immediately fell in love with "Girl", "Hey Jude", and "Hold Me Tight". Love them.

But then there's your screamo bands. I love A Day to Remember -- their songs "All I Want", "If it Means a lot to You", and "Downfall of Us All". Then another favorite is Black Veil Brides -- love their songs "Perfect Weapon" and "Never Give In". And then there's Screamo-Techno. Breathe Carolina anyone? Love their songs "Rescue" and "I'm Not the Kind of Guy to Take Things Personal". Also, there's Eyes Set to Kill -- "Come Home", "Darling", "Beauty through Broken Glass", "March of the Dead", and "The World Outside".

And now what about Pop...let's see....Selena Gomez -- "Who Says", "Love You Like a Love Song", and "Ghost of You". The there's Hilary Duff (I will always love her music). My favorite songs sung by her are "With Love", "Fly", "So Yesterday", "Coming Clean", "Stranger", "Weird", "Inner Strength", "James Dean", and "Someone's Watching Over Me".

Then there's the Alternative and other-type-of-genre bands such as VersaEmerge ("Past Praying For", "Fire (Aim Your Arrows High)"...)

I somehow tend to fall in love with some Christian songs. Like "The Last Night" by Skillet, "Hanging On" by Britt Nicole...

Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Mememememememememe. Well, I try to anyway. I believe there's at least something in every kind of music that's outstanding. You just sometimes need to dig for it sometimes. XD

I grew up under about everything under the sun, and I listened intently. From classic and prog rock of all kinds, grunge, classical, opera (thanks band class), jazz, metal which I latched onto a lot for a while... my entire area is full of country fans too (mostly because a lot of "today's country rock" is lived here, even though I like country before that far better). It took me a while to get exactly the point of Hip-Hop and rap though, I'm mostly a 90s person on that.

I'm always looking for new things, and finding something obscure or not (I love the Google Music Beta for this, not only do they offer new things now but I really need the online space). Give aaaanything a chance at some point, you might be surprised of what you hear. Especially in the strangest of combinations.

BTW, hell yeah swing music. I just saw a local swing band a couple weeks ago. It was amazing, especially for a place that almost never gets a concert for anything like that.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 AM

Shame on me for leaving out Boston :cry:

Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 AM

Boston is awesome, shame on all of us. XD

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 AM

At least I'm not the only one!

ZoSo_Fanatic
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 PM

I'm not a fan of Boston, hell there aren't many late 70's groups I'm a fan of.

I must add the Disco Biscuits to my list. Damn good jam band.

Last edited by ZoSo_Fanatic; 09-26-2011 at 12:29 AM..

Maroon Surreal
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2011, 12:02 PM

I like all the genres. Random beautiful songs. I usually depend my favorites and my taste of music with what I hear --if the music is so lovely-- with the lyrics --if the lyrics are good or if there's actually a story in it-- or simply being related to the song.

I don't really care if the song is Emo, Metal etc. If I like it it's because I simply like it. :)

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix Viral View Post
*dumps a bag of musical skittles in the thread*

Ill Nino, GWAR, The Offspring, King Crimson, Mastodon, The Doors, Frank Sinatra, Van Halen, Winger, Big Time Rush, Dean Martin, Wisin y Yandel, Daddy Yankee, Ra, Snoop Dogg, Powerman 5000, Heart, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jamiroquai, Sevendust, Faith No More, Mobile Deathcamp, Iron Maiden, Hotspur, Alkaline Trio, Anarbor, Birthday Massacre, Rammstein, Danger Danger, The Cure, Duran Duran, Eye Alaska, Slow Roosevelt, Fashion Bomb, Orgy, Haji's Kitchen, Hall and Oates, Maroon 5, Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards, Mutha's Day Out, Queen, Soul Decision, Luis Fonsi, Juanes...Is that enough to give a good idea of my tastes?
Pft, I think my musical Smarties outshine your skittles. :P

To start:

In Flames, Metallica, Godsmack, Alice in Chains, Deep Purple, Rammstein, Disturbed, Gregorian Choir, Eagles, Moody Blues, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Incubus, Irish Rovers, A7X, Rhapsody of Fire, Guns'N'Roses, The Guess Who, The Who, Great Big Sea, Sonata Arctica, Frank Sinatra, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Eluveitie, Evanescence, Dragonlord, Dream Theater, Cradle of Filth, Death Angel. Daft Punk.....

Thats just the TIP of the iceberg known as my Zune library. Seeing as I have 209 artists...but not Rap or Hip-hop. There are places for that(clubs/underground typically), just not my laptop. ;)

Cloudy Sky
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 PM

I like tons of genres such as:

Indie- Florence and the Machine and Sia, my favorite songs by them are, "Rabbit Heart," Cosmic Love," and "My Love."

Rock- Rise Against and Green Day, my favorite songs by them are, "Make It Stop" and "21 Guns"

DeathCore- We Came As Romans, my favorite songs by them are, "Just Keep Breathing" and "Everything As Planned."

Country- Gary Allen, my favorite songs are, "Life aint always beautiful", "Runaway", and "Learning to live with me"

And my other favorites are (these i dont know the genre): Paramore- Monster and CrushCurshCrush, A Day to Remember- If it means a lot to you and you had me at hello, Best Coast- Our Deal.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draciolus View Post
Pft, I think my musical Smarties outshine your skittles. :P

To start:

In Flames, Metallica, Godsmack, Alice in Chains, Deep Purple, Rammstein, Disturbed, Gregorian Choir, Eagles, Moody Blues, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Incubus, Irish Rovers, A7X, Rhapsody of Fire, Guns'N'Roses, The Guess Who, The Who, Great Big Sea, Sonata Arctica, Frank Sinatra, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Eluveitie, Evanescence, Dragonlord, Dream Theater, Cradle of Filth, Death Angel. Daft Punk.....

Thats just the TIP of the iceberg known as my Zune library. Seeing as I have 209 artists...but not Rap or Hip-hop. There are places for that(clubs/underground typically), just not my laptop. ;)
Are you trying to seduce me, mister? ;)

I never bothered to see how many artists I have. The most I ever bothered to list before getting tired of typing was around 150 :lol:

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~{MagikRiter}~ View Post
I'm going to start off with The Beatles. .
Ditto. It all begins with Beatles. I like a lot of 'classic rock' actually- Beatles, (early)Rolling Stones, Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zepp... if it's turned up on classic rock radio I probably have at least one song I like by them.

I like OLDSCHOOL punk- I despise the junk people think is punk nowadays. That said I grew up on the East Coast so most the punk I like was either gritty NY type stuff, or Euro import. Examples?> Reagan Youth, Lydia Lunch, Ramones, Agent Orange. I like a lot of the oddbal scene stuff from that time too, you know, like Klaus Nomi and Laurie Anderson and suchlike.

I like metal. Mostly classic metal like Sabbath, Maiden, Motorhead, but I love black metal as well- early Mayhem, Venom, Darkthrone. Been getting a weensy bit into some symphonic stuff, like Opeth and Katatonia. and who doesn't like Dethklok? we heard them thru cartoons! everyone loves cartoons.

I like some Goth- Christian Death and Bauhaus come to mind immediately. I also like that sort of creepy fringe not-quite-Goth, but-not-yet-industrial intellectual stuff like Coil and Legendary Pink Dots.

There was an odd sort of math rock-punk-pop scene from which sprang bands like XTC, Robyn Hitchcock, B-52s and suchlike. Like me some of that as well.

I liked grunge when it happened. Nirvana remain one of my favey bands, and I sort of followed a lot of the fringe element around that, you know, bands they tried to point out to everyone, like Pixies, Melvins and Meat Puppets, as well as some of the stuff that appeared in their wake, like Foo Fighters. But I also liked Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains, and some of the more obscure stuff from then, like Dead Moon.

I like sort of Beatley pop stuff. The Elephant Six movement out of Athens GA was fun to be around. I like Olivia Tremor Control and the late b.p. helium. But unlike most people into that kick I'm not -that crazy about of Montreal, and I think Neutral Milk are sort of overrated.

I like a bunch of Asian bands. It's sad to have to lump all the many types of Asian bands into that one category, but sadly everyone does. I like Malice Mizer, dir en grey, antihoney, Tommy heavenly6, Yosei Teikoku, and Akira Yamaoka bunches.

I tend to prefer old country like Hank Williams the 1st, Johnny Cash, Slim Whitman, and such, but I do like Keith Urban. Maybe just because he's pretty? I like southern rock like Skynrd and the Allmans also.

I like freestyle jazz. Ornette Coleman, Rasaan Roland Kirke and Coltrane in particular.

Torch song/doomy stuff like Tom Waits, Diamanda Galas, Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave can be fun.

I don't like much club music, but when i do I do. I can't remember the guys who mixed it- buncha letters and numbers- but I am superfond of that song "Bass Slut". I also like Daedelus and some Deadmau5.

I like some classical orchestral. Mostly things everyone likes like Bach, Mozart and the lot, but I also like moody, scary things like Wagner, Mahler, Shostakovich, Stravinski. My fave is a Swedish guy named Allan Pettersson, but his music also kinda scares me a little.

Most modern music/MTV pap disgusts me, but once in awhile I'll like some summer hit like something by Lady Gaga or whatever.

Never liked rap much.

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix Viral View Post
Are you trying to seduce me, mister? ;)
Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. Which would you prefer? :P

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 PM

Am I allowed to say that I don't mind either? :lol:

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 10-23-2011, 02:11 AM

Oh boy.....I listen to as much as I can get my hands on....

I love classical music. Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Mozart are my favourites. Branching off of that, I listen to ALOT of opera. I adore opera. Especially when I'm trying to relax or when I'm depressed. My favourite opera singers are Pavarotti, Maria Callas, Placido Domingo, Joan Sutherland.

I also dig Broadway. I have a whole playlist dedicated to Broadway. My favourite Broadways are Phantom of the Opera, Cats, The King and I, Sweeney Todd, Oklahoma, Tanz der Vampire, West Side Story, and My Fair Lady. My favourite broadway singers are Steve Barton and Sarah Brightman. Though I also loved Michael Crawford. I like some off broadway stuff like Rocky Horror Picture Show and Repo! The Genetic Opera. I had the honour of meeting Terrence Zdunic.

I love rock. All kinds of rock. Iron Maiden, Nightwish, Guns n Roses, Led Zepplin, Queen, Metallica, Lacuna Coil, Area 51, X-Japan, Buck Tick, Versailles Philharmonic Quintet, The Gazette, D, Aerosmith, Korn, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, Van Halen to name a few.

I dig pop. 8D It's good dancing music. My favourite artists are Shakira, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cher, Lady Gaga(sometimes.)

Erm....I like some rap. Eminem, Ludacris, Pitbull, Run-D.M.C are really the only ones I listen to.

I'm sure there's more that I like, I just can't remember at the moment. o.o

Plateau
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Indie: Franz Ferdinand, Two Door Cinema Club, Razorlight, Hard Fi, Jack Peñate, The Academy Is, The Feeling, Elbow, Editors, The Enemy, The Fray, The Fratellis, Gorillaz, MGMT, One Night Only, Passion Pit, Just Jack and Vampire Weekend.

Pop-punk: Bowling For Soup, All Time Low, Busted, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, Good Charlotte, The Jam, The Offspring, Sum 41, Weezer and You Me At Six.

Rock: Three Doors Down, Arctic Monkeys, The White Stripes, Rd Hot Chilli Peppers, Placebo, Radiohead, Stereophonics, Rage Against The Machine, System Of A Down, Foo Fighters, Guns 'N' Roses, The Doors, The Strokes, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, Three Days Grace, Muse, Oasis and My Chemical Romance.

Pop: Maroon 5, Mika, Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Pink, Take That, Savage Garden, Black Eyed Peas, Scissor Sisters, Backstreet Boys, Adam Lambert, Dido, George Michael, Jason Mraz, Enrique Iglesies, Nelly Furtardo, Natasha Bedingfield, Natalie Imbruglia, Robyn, James Blunt and Ellie Goulding.

Country: Johnny Cash, Tim McGraw, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, John Denver, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain and Taylor Swift.

Britpop: James, Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay, Keane, Primal Scream, Pulp, The Verve, The Pigeon Detectives, The Wombats, Travis, The Kooks, The Libertines, Manic Street Preachers, Babyshambles, Athlete and Supergrass.

Acoustic: Paramore, City And Colour, Newton Faulkner, Rise Against, Incubus, A Day To Remember, Fleet Foxes and Ed Sheeran.

Electronic: Tangerine Dream, The Chemical Brothers, 3OH!3, The Prodigy, Pendulum, Hurts, La Roux, Moby, Calvin Harris, Empire of The Sun, David Guetta, Fatboy Slim, Owl City, Hadouken and Metronomy.

Reggae: Bob Marley, UB40, Eddy Grant, Shaggy, The Wailers, Third World and Sizzla.

Folk: Runrig, Frank Turner, The Pentangle, The Be Good Tanyas, Grizzly Bear, The Pogues, Noah And The Whale and Blind Pilot.

Metal: Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Korn, Iron Maiden, Trivium, Danzig, Black Sabbath, All That Remains, Alice In Chains, Motorhead, Slipknot, Rammstein, Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine, Megadeath, Slayer and Nightwish.

Grunge: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Everclear, Puddle Of Mud, Sonic Youth, Veruca Salt, The Smashing Pumpkins, Queens Of The Stone Age and Bitch Alert.

R & B: Usher, Jay Sean, Timbaland, Kanye West, Jennifer Hudson, Destiny's Child, T-Pain, Cee Lo Green, Akon, Trey Songz and Jason Derulo.

Rap: Eminem, B.o.B, Lupe Fiasco, Public Enemy, Outkast, Hollywood Undead, Nelly, Wiz Khalifa, Tinie Tempah, Flo Rida, Ludacris, T.I and Missy Elliot.

Emo: The Used, AFI, 30 Seconds To Mars, Alexisonfire, Cite Is What We Aim For, All Time Low, Plain White T's, The All American Rejects, Lost Prophets and Panic! At The Disco.

---

Those are the bands/artists/genres that I like off the top of my head, there are loads more and most of them are probably not in the right genre, but I tried. Indie is my absolute favourite genre and I could happily list that forever! xD