Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-17-2020, 06:30 PM

"Of course he did," Axel muttered under his breath, peeved in a way he couldn't explain by the idea of Jayde and Harlan's soft date. Hadn't he warned Harlan about the danger that Jayde presented weeks ago? Of course Harlan hadn't listened. Now it seemed like all those fights Axel remembered Jayde getting into, all those secrets, the hole of his life after high school, disappeared next to Harlan's charm. What a joke.

Biting his lip, Axel tried to summon his scowl again but Harlan's tone went soft, and with Axel's own darkening mood, it made the task impossible. "I mean, that's all fine and well if you say it, but you know how I am with people," Axel scoffed back. He couldn't sit still any longer so he slid off of his car and started to pace the parking lot. The frustration rolling off of his kept even the most drunk and flirty stranger from approaching, even if Axel sent the club a longing stare. His mood was too ruined for that but god did he like drowning in more tasteful ways when the waters of life started to creep over his head. Maybe that was why he spoke so honestly to Harlan, someone he used to barely respect, but maybe somewhat liked? "I'm supposed to be a one man show. Friends just...hurt later. Besides...I....don't know how to be a friend back..."

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-18-2020, 12:17 AM

Harlan hmmed softly, his anger dissipating upon hearing Axel's words. He sounded so down, so out of sorts. It wasn't at all like the rockstar's usual brash self. Harlan thumped his heels against the edge of the bed as he considered his next words carefully. He really didn't want to say anything wrong, not anything that made light of what Axel was feeling. "Well, I consider you a friend, and you've been a pretty good one in my books. You warned me about Jayde, and you are right, he's ... he's mixed up in some dangerous stuff. And you let me pester you to talk, even when you don't feel like it. Don't think I don't notice!" Harlan chuckled a little at that.

His expression softened as he thought about Axel's way of dealing with him. "Sure, the possibility of being hurt by the people you let into your life is scary as hell, but it's so worth it, and I think a whole bunch of people think of you as a friend, even if you might not consider them in the same way."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-22-2020, 06:06 PM

Axel leaned back against his car, head tilted back to stare at the starless night. It was absurd how easily Harlan could say poignant words like that. Like he meant all that stuff from the depths of his heart. Knowing him, he probably did. Axel could never say things like that though. He built up a reputation his entire life as a playboy, asshole, arrogant, and infuriating genius. He pushed everyone away because he didn't want anyone to see who he was underneath. Axel hated that part of himself.

"Ah seriously. Why do I always end up talking to you about this kind of shit? I thought it was because you weren't important enough to care about your opinion." But that wasn't true at all. In reality, Harlan's passion for music and creativity far outweighed his own. It was a threat...and a fair bit inspiring. "You always have called me your friend haven't you? I guess at this point, the feeling is probably mutual," he admitted. "But I don't think it can be the same with Fane."

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-23-2020, 01:25 AM

Harlan waited anxiously to hear Axel's answer, hoping not to feel the hurt he had felt at not being deemed a friend wouldn't be deepened. Instead, he felt like he got the surprise of his life! Well, nearly, or was it on even footing with the idea of actually starting to date Jayde? Anyway, it had him laughing aloud with pure joy to hear Axel call him a friend!

It made Harlan so happy! He jumped to his feet and danced a little private jig, before coming to a halt so he could actually answer his friend. "Man, hearing you say that makes me so happy! But ... why do you think you can't be friends with Fane? Is it because you two are such polar opposites?" Harlan moved to his clothes, and started to gather them up so he could get dressed.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Axel snorted into his phone. "You're too overjoyed about this. It's ridiculous," he huffed. Despite the words, his tone didn't have half as much callousness in it as it usually did. There was no need to push Harlan away. Just Axel's need to sound a little bit mean. "As for Fane? Nah, it's not that. Aren't you my opposite too, all chasing after dreams and sweet dates?" He held back the urge to snort again. "No. I can't be Fane's friend because I want to fuck him way more than I ever wanted to get with you. There's no way that can lead to friends!"

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-12-2020, 01:56 AM

Harlan laughed at Axel's comment, before he sobered up at the mention of the other man's dilemma. It certainly wasn't anything like the kind of trouble the rockstar usually mentioned, when he was in the mood to talk about his conquests. "That's not something you've ever said before ... So I guess, what are you going to do about it? I get the feeling that Fane isn't like your usual conquests. Might mean sneaking out of your comfort zone a little." Harlan fell silent for a few moments as he worked on getting dressed. Once done, he settled on the bed again with a soft sigh. "You know if you want help, or whatever, you just need to call, right?"

----

Fane stared at his phone for a while, leaning away from his laptop and the plans contained within. It had been a week since he'd last contacted Axel, although the manager had been keeping in contact with some of the other members, just getting a handle on what their recent activity had been while trying to come up with a workable plan to bring them back into the spotlight. The best bet, he thought, was to have them featured at an event, but it was difficult to find something at such short notice which would fit their style ... and there he was trying to distract himself again.

"Hey, I've been working on coordinating another meeting with the band. When would you next be available?" Fane sent the text off, holding his breath because of how things had been left with Axel. He remembered their private meeting so vividly, kept running through the events in his mind. He'd been so tempted to simply forget everything he'd promised himself for more of the rockstar's attention, for more of that intoxicating closeness. It was a relief to know Axel had no idea how close Fane had been to giving in, and the manager promised himself he would hold an even tighter rein on himself the next time he met the dark haired man.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-17-2020, 12:25 AM

"I don't know and...yeah, I know I can call you," Axel admitted after a moment of silence. This was so unlike him, whining to someone else about relationship advice. A relationship. He wanted to laugh. Still, it felt nice to talk through it with Harlan. The advice made him feel like he could deal with this at some point. Like his lungs wouldn't actually inflate like balloons filled with anxiety. "I'll figure it out though. I guess...I should probably talk to him, huh?"

Just as he said the words, Axel's phone pinged with a new message, leaving him pulling the device away to stare at it. This was...seriously? "Fuck! He's texting me! I've got to go!" Without giving Harlan a chance to respond, Axel hung up, moving back to pacing in the parking lot. Fane only asked about work but it still left his skin prickling with the memory of their last encounter.

'Whenever is fine. It's not like I'm doing anything these days.' He shot back, sure that the response sounded far too snappy, but true. Without any concerts or an album to work on, he was essentially unemployed. Just, the sort of unemployed person with a lot of money.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 09-17-2020 at 12:27 AM..

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-20-2020, 01:31 AM

Harlan was smiling down at his phone, not even mad at the abrupt end of his conversation with Axel. In fact his heart felt full to bursting! His friend, his friend! Oh wow, it was so fun to think that, and to think of Axel maybe finding someone he could be himself with. It was such an amazing feeling, one which Harlan carried with him home from the hotel and threw into a song.. Well the lyrics anyway. He started working on writing the instrumentals of a song based on his feelings for Jayde, and wondered if he would ever get to play either of them for the people they were about.

----

Fane leaned back into his chair and was surprised at how quickly he received an answer. That had been ... unexpected. Tomorrow then, in the same place where everyone was when I first made my proposal to become manager. All of that felt like it had happened such a long time ago, and yet it had been little more than a week! So much had happened and Fane could hardly believe it. At least meeting with the whole bound would help him keep a level head when facing Axel again for the first time after they had danced together that night...

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 PM

Axel forced his thoughts into order as he looked down at the second text. Apparently, Fane didn't mind him sounding a bit snippy. The conversation sounded so...ordinary. Still so ordinary. He shook his head again before dragging in a deep breath. 'Fine. Two should be early enough. I'll let the others know.' With that finished, he pocketed his phone and finally entered his car, feeling more than sober enough to drive home. His messages to Yvonne, Deidrik, and Lionus were equally as short but got the job done. He went to sleep that night with plans for the next day, something he both looked forward to and dreaded.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 AM

Fane sent a quick reply accepting the arrangement. He was so glad text didn't show any of the trepidation he'd been feeling. That evening he spent more time than usual working on his motorcycle in an attempt to calm down. It didn't work. When he woke he still felt butterflies swimming around his stomach as he thought of facing Axel again. The man surely wouldn't convince him to dance again...

A part of Fane wanted that. That part was excited when he finally opened the door to the meeting room. A paper filled briefcase was gripped tightly in one hand, while the other sent Fane's carefully arranged hair into disarray. He stepped into the empty room and chose a seat with a sigh, and settled down to wait for the others and compose himself. He liked arriving early to meetings when he could for just that reason, and was relieved to finally feel calm seeping through him before anyone's arrival.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-18-2020, 01:30 AM

Diedrik was the first to arrive in the meeting room, just a few minutes before their arranged time of two. He raised an eyebrow, pierced with a black stub, and walking over to greet the other man. "Fane. It's good to see you again. Thought you might have high-tailed it by now so imagine my surprise when Axel texted legit band information to us. Your idea?" he asked, giving Fane's briefcase a look. He had to admit that he was curious and glad to talk to their new manager without the chaos of the other members. This might have been Axel's whim but it seemed like a good one.

After setting his guitar case by the table, he perched on the edge of it with one long leg crossed over the other. "Yvonne and Lionus should be here soon, though I have no idea about Axel. The punk never shows up on time to anything so you might as well get comfortable. Oh, and you should really get mine and Yv's numbers if you want to plan band related things. We're probably the only two in Obsessed with a head on our shoulders."

"I heard that!" Yvonne exclaimed as she kicked her way through the door. She shot Diedrik a faux-dirty look before waving a cup tray in the air. "Hey Fane. Hey D. I brought coffees. Did you text Axel to make sure he's awake yet?"

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 10-19-2020, 01:35 AM

Fane was both disappointed and relieved to see that Diedrik and Yvonne were the first to arrive. They certainly seemed like the ones most interested in the business side of the band. "Yes, I thought having a weekly check in might be a good idea. That way we can discuss how things are going, what ideas and plans everyone has. I actually have one I would like to discuss once everyone is here."

The thought of checking in with Axel again had Fane wondering what in the world he had gotten himself into. Still, none of his inner turmoil showed as he took a cup of coffee with a thabk you for Yvonne. He hadn't forgotten her request, and hoped he would be able to manage it. That of course meant pulling out his phone. "I'll grab your numbers right after I check in with Axel then."

For a moment Fane hesitated, staring at his screen. Them he started to type. "Hey, you awake Axel? I hear you have a habit of sleeping in. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was because you'd spent another night partying. Anyway, the band has started to gather for the meeting... I hope to see you here soon?" Fane pressed send, and wondered if he would even get an answer.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-21-2020, 03:32 AM

"I'm excited to hear these plans," Diedrik hummed back, a faint smile lifting his usually straight lips. Yvonne must have noticed because she punched him in the ribs, far harder than necessary. It left him grunting but her grinning like a maniac.

"Don't worry. It's not like we're in any hurry to start. Lionus is prone to oversleeping too so if Axel's already awake, it's a game to see who gets here first." Pulling up a chair and sitting in it backwards, she pulled an iced americano with soy from the tray and started slurping away. "Sorry, I just got you a hot coffee, Fane. There's sugar packets on the side since I didn't know what you like. I've got the other boys orders down pat so you'll just have to let me know. Are you...texting Axel?" she added, a bit curious over the almost familiarity of such a thing.

At that exact moment, Axel was scowling at a red light, a jacket pulled tight over his shoulders and sunglasses perched on his nose. The buzz of his phone wasn't exactly a welcome distraction but he swipped open the message anyway. 'I'm on my way asshole. Be there in three minutes so don't you get snippy at me now.' He would have gripped more but the light changed so he tossed his phone on the seat and floored it.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 10-23-2020, 01:06 AM

Fane chuckled when he saw exactly what he expected from Axel. The rockstar certainly had an attitude... Except for when he didn't and was left entirely exposed to the world. Remembering that made Fane's humour disappear. How could he feel so tender towards someone he barely even knew? He shook his head slightly and turned to Yvonne and Diedrik with a smile. "After going to the club, I ended up giving Axel a ride back to his place. He didn't seem in the best condition to drive back safely. That was when I ended up getting his number."

It was a perfectly reasonable scenario, if missing a few key scenes. Fane sipped his coffee to cover his slight nervousness as he tried his best to hide the dancing portion of the evening. "This is delicious as it is Yvonne, though since you ask I like my coffee with one cream and one sugar. As for my plans, well ... I think I have an idea that might get you guys in the public eye again, in a good way. But I'll wait for the others before getting into the details." When would Axel get there? The memory of their dance, of what they had said to each other, had haunted Fane all week. He had no idea how he would manage to keep up his professionalism when he saw the other man.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-26-2020, 02:35 AM

Yvonne's eyes went wide before she steepled her fingers and leaned forward in her seat to stare at Fane. "You took Axel home? Hold up. Our Axel? The Axel who pushes everyone away the second they get close? Hell, even we can't get that man to quit partying and take his ass home to sleep it off most nights!" She was left regarding Fane yet again, very certain there was more to the story, but Diedrik sent her a sharp look, saying very clearly that it wasn't her business.

Huffing, Yvonne settled down again. "Fine, whatever. Have your secrets. Just don't get yourself burned. I love that idiot but he requires handling with care. Whether it's a cup of coffee or a words of advice, let me know, ya here. Since you're our manager, you're a part of the family now."

"Don't hassle him," Diedrik warned, then paused. A ruckus was heard outside, swearing and a stumble, then more swearing as...a foot connected to the wall outside their meeting room. "Axel is here."

A second after Diedrik announced it, the rockstar flung the door open. "Well, hah! I'm here! And I'm not even late, asshole!"

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-04-2021, 03:03 AM

Fane shifted slightly when Yvonne started laying out just how odd that night had been. Telling her the truth of it was the last thing the manager wanted to do, especially once he realized how truly odd Axel had been with him. It made the whole incident even more worth keeping entirely private. Diedrik's intervention earned the man a smile of gratitude, even if Fane was sure Yvonne would latch onto the expression. She would probably keep s sharp eye on his interactions with Axel to try and figure out just what kind of relationship they had.

"Thank yo..."

Axel burst through the door. Even with the brief warning, Fane hadn't been able to brace himself for the sight of Axel. It brought all the feelings rushing back, and for the briefest of moments the mixture of tenderness and attraction were plain to see. Fane hide it almost immediately beneath a businesslike facade. "You're actually nearly early." Fane nodded towards the coffee Yvonne had brought. "Yvonne was kind enough to bring coffee for the meeting. Why don't you grab some?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-23-2021, 07:16 PM

As Axel came crashing through the door, Yvonne found herself rooted to the spot, something like awe coming over her. She'd been meaning to argue, to still try to pressure Fane about his closeness with Axel, but instead, she found herself watching a rush of emotions that left her standing there with her mouth held open. "You...?" She couldn't ask, though, and even if she could, Axel didn't give her the chance. The blue-haired rockstar scoffed and nearly bowled Yvonne over as he threw his bag on the table, shrugging out of a dark, fur-trimmed jacket as he did so.

"What the hell, Fane? A second ago, weren't you whining about me being late? Now suddenly I'm almost early? Don't be so nice now!" Axel barely even glanced at the other man, moving past as if he wanted to avoid meeting Fane's gaze. But Axel rarely paused to look at people unless he planned to fuck them. It shouldn't seem strange. It wasn't strange. And yet, he felt his heart give a small skip when he realized it. Damn. He thought he got these weird feelings out of his system when driving. Swallowing hard, he turned to grin at his bandmates.

"Wait. Lionus isn't here?"

Diedrik gave Axel an unimpressed look before shaking his head. "Don't get excited over dumb luck. Just get your coffee so we can start this meeting. Yve…” He trailed off, realizing that their guitarist hadn’t moved an inch since Axel entered the room. “You good?”

“Ah?” Yvonne jumped, realizing just how deep into her thoughts she’d fallen. It left her throwing on a smile, rushing back over to the table with a tut like some disapproving mom. “I’m fine, I’m fine! Here, Ax. Hazelnut Macchiato, like always. Just be glad I didn’t put poison in it.” After handing off the drink, she turned to give Fane a deep look before continuing to chatter. “Anyway. We had things to discuss, right? I’m sure Lionus will be here soon so we might as well start.”

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 01-31-2021 at 02:43 AM..

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 02-20-2021, 12:15 AM

Fane's eyes followed Axel's movements through the room as he interacted with Diedrik and Yvonne. The manager eanted more than just the harsh words from earlier. He wanted... Fane shook his head to collect himself as Diedrik worked on bringing all of them to attention. The man could have been quite the manager himself under other circumstances. As it was, Fane slid his briefcase to his lap and pulled out multiple sheets of paper. He stood to hand each of the band members a copy of the list he'd compiled.

"These are events that I thought might be interested in featuring the band in the upcoming months. So far I've made no move to contact any of them. I wanted to hear your opinions. " On the list were comic conventions, tech conventions, and other events where Obsessed With Your Obsession's music could even be remotely imagined to find an audience.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-28-2021, 06:48 PM

Both Yvonne and Diedrik took the papers to give them a serious look over, though Axel just tossed his on the table, focusing on his coffee instead. "What the hell. You're really trying to get us out there aren't you? A comic convention?" Axel wrinkled his nose and pushed the paper away again. "Isn't that a bit weird?" He bit his lip, trying to keep that hint of unease out of his voice, that little hint that they hadn't done anything like this in a while. It made it feel like the first time Axel put himself out like that.

Diedrik shook his head. "That's not true. We could use any exposure we can get. Though, it would be better if we had a new song or album to promote with it..." He certainly did know his way around managing them and had, in fact, done it for the first year before they made it big. However, he preferred not to put in that kind of effort over playing music itself.

The door swung open, leaving Yvonne jumping in surprise. "Lion-?!"

"I may have some news on that!" The drummer exclaimed as he rushed in, clearly having heard the conversation before he entered. "Sup, Fane. Axel, Die...always good to see ya guys. Now look it this 'ere." He spread a stack of sheet music out on the table, full of scribbled notes over neatly drawn key signatures. "I found these in my studio yesterday. Axel started the song at some point and must've left it. And I know ya don't like us working on yer songs but well, I may've finished it. Nearabouts anyway. Take a look."

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 04-13-2022 at 05:51 AM..

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-01-2021, 03:59 AM

If Axel thought the idea of going to a comic convention was strange, Fane was glad he hadn't put anime conventions or renaissance fairs on the list. He had also reseaeched how popular anime openings could get, and had wondered if the band would be interested in trying something like that to gain more exposure in other parts of the world. It would have to wait for another time, eapwcially as Fane thought he imagined a hint of uncertainty in Axel's voice. He couldn't help but observe him more than the others, which didn't bar him from nodding at Diedrik's statement.

With Lionel's sudden appearance, Fane left his seat again so he could try to get a look at the song. He didn't pretend to know much about music, but sometimes he managed all right. This song Axel had written, and his apparent reluctance to let others work on his music... Fane wondered if it had anything to do with his reaction at the club, with those hidden depths he wanted to digure out. "Is this a recent piece then?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-06-2021, 06:46 PM

For a long second, Axel was frozen in his place. That song...how long had it been since he thought about it? How long since he thought about any song? A sense of vulnerability washed over him, spurred by the messy notes over his neat writing. "That's not-!" Before Fane could get a proper look at the music, he snatched the sheets away, holding them tight in his white-knuckled hands. He could feel the pencil smudging under them but he didn't care, almost welcomed that level of destruction. "I've said enough times. My songs are my songs! I don't need your input!"

Lionus' face fell in an instant. "Ah...hey man. You're being unfair. You didn't even remember leaving that at my place. Did ya look at the end I gave it? I know it's not the best but it's something." he pouted, looking at the others for support. Though, this time, both Yvonne and Diedrik stayed on the sidelines.

That was the thing though. Axel had managed to read the notes in that brief second and he found himself riveted. Never once would he have thought to end the song with those kinds of chords and slipping into major key? Everything about it was against his own style. So unique and different next to his very technical and layered instrumentals. And yet, he felt in awe of it. So much so that he found himself responding with something far too like the truth.

"...This isn't how I would write this song."

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 03-08-2021, 02:46 AM

The aheets of music were snatched away before Fane could get more than the briefest of glimpses. His eyes followed Axel's hands, and made note if the white knuckled grip. That paired with the hint of uncertainty from earlier had Fane feeling echoes of their club encounter. He needed to figure out what to do, how to defuse the situation without hurting anyone's feelings.

His eyes flew to Lionus, then back to Axel as he made his final answer. "Maybe it's best to give Axel some time to look over the ideas for his song on his own. Maybe in next week's meeting, each of you could bring in any songs you might have been working on too, and we can discuss which ones the band would be interested in working on." Shifting the focus from Axel onto the other members and their work felt like the easiest way to give Axel some breathing room. Wanting to deflect everyone else's attention didn't make it any easier for Fane to ignore his concern for the rock star. He'd have to figure out a way to get Axel to stay longer after the meeting so they could finally talk again.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-13-2021, 01:43 AM

Axel found himself nodded even though he barely heard Fane's words. It left the other's exchanging glances--Yvonne really wanted to grab Lionus or Fane or someone to rant about it. Because really, what the fuck was this? She couldn't even see the music with how closely Axel held it but it must have been something else if he reacted this way. Normally wouldn't he just say it was impossible and leave it at that? The idea that he might like Lionus' changes left her painting on a bright smile and waving all the tension away.

"Hey, hey. There's no need to make a fuss. Like Lionus said, we haven't even tried it out. You still get all the last edits like always Ax, so let's try it out after the meeting. No one will know until we try!" Except for Axel, maybe. He probably could glance at a sheet of music and hear exactly how it would sound. The rest of them, though? They needed to get their hands on their instruments first.

After a second, Axel huffed, long-suffering and drawn-out like he hadn't just made a huge stink about this. "Whatever. If you want to try out then we might as well. It sure beats performing garbage at those stupid venues that Fane picked," he added with a roll of his eyes at the other man. His thoughts were on the song though, already picking it apart and reveling over it, figuring out how best to polish those messy notes. It didn't show on his face but he was desperate to try it out.